• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo returning to Tesco retail(UK)

Oregano

So I was in Tesco earlier and I figured I'd check out the gaming section. They haven't had a dedicated Nintendo section for a few years and they've only sporadically carried big games like Splatoon. So I was very surprised to see this:

Y6HdoG7.jpg

RYgZrY1.jpg

They only actually had a few copies of Pokken and a slip for the new Mario Party.

It's a good sign that Nintendo is putting in work to get retailers back on side in the run up to Switch.

Also quite notable that they're going with the character-based marketing and emphasizing the word Nintendo above all.

Kathian

Banned
3DS continued to do ok so I think in the end it became possible for most stores to have a small Nintendo section with the usual 3DS games and then any new Wii U releases.

Game space in general is massively sized down now though; HMV maybe gives MS/Sony an extra set of shelves over Nintendo but majority seems to be selling digital codes and new releases.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
3DS continued to do ok so I think in the end it became possible for most stores to have a small Nintendo section with the usual 3DS games and then any new Wii U releases.

Game space in general is massively sized down now though; HMV maybe gives MS/Sony an extra set of shelves over Nintendo but majority seems to be selling digital codes and new releases.

3DS games retaining their value extremely well, even extremely old games could maintain teh RRP, which is very attractive for stores (which is why places like CeX give you surprisingly good trade in value for your games)

Oregano

That's still depressingly small tho.

Dat Switch hype.

It's about half the size Xbox and Playstation have. The shelf space for those has shrunk quite a bit in the last year or two.

Toys to Life have shrunk to near nothing too.

Chris1

Local ASDA here started stocking Nintendo stuff a few month ago, it's really weird. Before they only had select few 3DS games now they've got WiiU, 3DS, some DS, Amiibo and all these accessories.

Nintendo Switching things up heh.

In general, videogame sales in most general stores aren't that big these days, so the comments that it small aren't great indicators of popularity.

EB Games + JB Hifi are pretty much the only decent videogame sales places here in Australia. Good to see Nintendo changing things up in the leadup to the launch.

Neff

Pokémon Go got people buying/asking about Nintendo products again. There's also clearly some pre-NS logistics chain deals happening.

I've noticed this in both Asda and Tesco near me too, shelves are still pretty bare, but I'm guessing Nintendo have opened the chequebook to buy back some retail space as the way it was before, even if Switch was the hottest thing since the wii there'd be nowhere in the U.K to buy it from except GAME.

Oregano

I've noticed this in both Asda and Tesco near me too, shelves are still pretty bare, but I'm guessing Nintendo have opened the chequebook to buy back some retail space as the way it was before, even if Switch was the hottest thing since the wii there'd be nowhere in the U.K to buy it from except GAME.

Up here we at least have Grainger Games too.

Weirdly enough the Sainsburys near me has continued to stock Nintendo products for the last few years. They even had Amiibo but only one... Ganondorf!

Kyari

My local Tesco Extra has never not had a Nintendo section. It has ranged in size over the last year or so but its always been there.

They got burned hard on Wii U games no one wanted and the remnants of the Wave 1 amiibos that no one wanted and mostly whittled it down to a dozen or so 3DS games, the 3DS itself and a handful of amiibos though.

Top Bottom