• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals demographics of Wii U eShop users (age ranges, 93M:7F gender ratio)

donny2112

Wait, did this video flat out reveal Wii U console sale numbers in the US? It's the numbers we know, but it's interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6nYz1HHPJU#start=0:00;end=25:21;cycles=-1;autoreplay=false

You mean this graph?

Unite_WiiU_2014.jpg

Edit:
* 90+% of Wii U consoles online
* 70+% of connected users (i.e. 63% overall) visit eShop on a "regular basis. Many of those people are repeat."
* Wii U eShop demographics
0-12 - 1%
13-17 - 5%
18-24 - 33%
25-34 - 46%
35+ - 14%
M/F - 93/7

BwJRojZCYAAIgOG.jpg

Phazon

You mean this graph?

* 90+% of Wii U consoles online
* 70+% of connected users (i.e. 63% overall) visit eShop on recurring basis
* Wii U eShop demographics
0-12 - 1%
13-17 - 5%
18-24 - 33%
25-34 - 46%
35+ - 14%
M/F - 93/7

For those who like slides/images

BwJRojZCYAAIgOG.jpg

SerTapTap

I guess this is more a metric of who sets up the eShop than who plays the wii U? Age stats are slightly surprising...gender ratio very much so.

90+% online is encouraging, 20% of people being online but not visiting eShop is depressing but could be worse.

I thought there were at least 35% girl gamers.

Depends entirely how you measure--gender split is ~50/50 on mobile IIRC. Consoles may (likely are) different, and even on PC there's probably a big difference in browser game players vs Steam users, maybe even differences between Origin and Steam.

Worth pointing out that this might not represent the console as a whole. For instance, I imagine most kids won't be downloading games, they'll be getting physical copies

That's a really low female number.

Interesting metrics. Was pretty sure that the age distribution was more concentrated on a younger audience.

Considering Wii U doesn't sell to a casual audience, I suspect the high age demographic consists of hardcore who grew up with Nintendo.

Dugna

Damn didn't think it would be that skewed, thought nintendo got a pretty good chunk of female fans from the Wii.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
So 90% of WiiU consoles are online
95% of PS4 consoles are online
I wouldn't be surprised if it's an even higher figure for Xbox One

Yet people still have such an issue with always online?

Gender ratio is horrifying. It honestly doesn't bode too well for a Nintendo digital future, especially when women spend more $$ digitally on mobile ecosystems.

So there's something veryyyyy wrong here.

Servbot24

Banned
Not too surprising. Wii U has basically only appealed to hardcore Nintendo fans, who are primarily male.

I practically never hear girls talk about Nintendo games. They usually care about Mass Effect, Skyrim, etc.

sörine

Banned
Nintendo needs to court kids and women asap. It's no wonder Wii U is failing, those are two of Nintendo's stronger demographics and they're totally absent.

TomShoe

Banned
Damn didn't think it would be that skewed, thought nintendo got a pretty good chunk of female fans from the Wii.

Hey, smartphones are where its at now. I bet we can attribute the rise of mobile gaming to the loss of female console gamers.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
If they are going off NNID information to determine the demographics, then they are getting woefully inaccurate information. What about the parent who buys the console for their kids, sets up a NNID, and then lets the kids play on it?

Those metrics of female gamers seem dismally low. Especially considering how aggressively Nintendo has been targeting that demographic.

Koren

20% of people being online but not visiting eShop is depressing but could be worse.
Depends... There's a "on a regular basis".

I only visit the U shop when I want to buy something. It's pretty easy to know what's available by looking elsewhere, such as GAF. I'm pretty sure I'm on the 20%

(and unfortunately, I now belong to the oldest group... That makes me really sad)

SerTapTap

Lots of people connected is good but does not justify mandating one. Ironic to post this while people in the PSN thread are complaining they can't access stuff due to the maintenance...

Depends... There's a "on a regular basis".

I only visit the U shop when I want to buy something. It's pretty easy to know what's available by looking elsewhere, such as GAF. I'm pretty sure I'm on the 20%

(and unfortunately, I now belong to the oldest group... That makes me really sad)

It just says "have visited". If that's "regularly visit" that's an extremely high number, so I doubt it.

Evenflow

So Wii U users are mostly 18-33 year old males... probably people who grew up with Nintendo consoles
Ya I just posted this in other thread:

13-17 - 5% = Wii generation
18-24 - 33% = Gamecube-N64 generation
25-34 - 46% = Snes-NES generation
35+ - 14% = NES generation

That's how I read the numbers as far as when someone began gaming ie first console. It's no surprise that Nintendo's hardcore fans would be older(60% 25+), and lets face it, that's who mostly owns a Wii U right now is hardcoe Nintendo fans.

Servbot24

Banned
sörine;127504808 said:
Nintendo needs to court kids and women asap. It's no wonder Wii U is failing, those are two of Nintendo's stronger demographics and they're totally absent.

Kids don't want to be courted. At least not explicitly. They want to think they're playing grown-up games.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Not surprising at all. I know Nintendo caterers towards everyone, but honestly the Wii U is mostly hardcore fans at the moment, which are probably from the NES to N64 era, with some new GameCube fans.

The credit card matter explains the age ranges, but that male to female ratio is still pretty surprising.

I'd also like to see the same information post-Smash bros, with then and now next to each other for comparison. Along with Amiibo information, it could be interesting.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Lots of people connected is good but does not justify mandating one. Ironic to post this while people in the PSN thread are complaining they can't access stuff due to the maintenance...

It just says "have visited". If that's "regularly visit" that's an extremely high number, so I doubt it.

Kinks get worked out. Look at Steam.

culafia

Gender thing isn't really that surprising. I guess I expected closer to 15%-20% female, but 7% isn't that unthinkable.

I wouldn't be surprised if the other two consoles had that figure below 20% too.

So Wii U users are mostly 18-33 year old males... probably people who grew up with Nintendo consoles

If the younger age percentages were higher it would be "only kids play Nintendo consoles," but because older ages have a higher percentage it's "people only buy a Nintendo console because of nostalgia" .... (besides the fact this these are eShop only numbers)

Abounder

Banned
Yea if we remove mobile, which I believe still generates less money than 'traditional' gaming consoles, it is largely dominated by males.

Kids don't want to be courted. At least not explicitly. They want to think they're playing grown-up games.

Such a good point. Its just another reason why Rareware was so huge for Nintendo: games like Goldeneye were loved by kids and teens.

Koren

Pretty sure that "online" is "has been connected at least once". Such as "they did a system update once".

And besides that, even if my consoles are always online when powered on (or at least, they are when the firmware is up-to-date, which isn't nearly as often), yes, I have a huge issue with that being a requirement.

SerTapTap

I dunno, when I was playing games as a kid they were just games. Maybe when I was 12+ and GTA and crap was coming out I wanted to play "grown up games" but when I got my first SNES I just wanted good games. Marketing has changed since then though.

Kinks get worked out. Look at Steam.

Even Steam isn't always online...and doesn't need to be. There is no actual benefit for consumers to always online compared to the PS4's current "standby" state.

Spy

I couldn't play Plants vs. Zombies while PSN was getting DDoS'd the other day.

Top Bottom