• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

mrback

I'm not too bothered about sourcing Japanese stuff but just wanted to know if the games give you english options or the system gives you an english option (Like the vita)

I'm not too bothered about sourcing Japanese stuff but just wanted to know if the games give you english options or the system gives you an english option (Like the vita)
Japanese firmware is Japanese language only. Language is software dependant but the only ones playable in English I can think of are Pokemon X/Y and Bravely Default: for the Sequel (paid version).

anyone in the UK pulling the trigger on a japanese model? just wondered about the pitfalls of such a move. dont wanna wait till next year.

I already have a Japanese LL, and yes I'm nabbing the white 3DS - preordered it this morning, in fact. I have a few eshop bits and pieces as well as a handful of physical games, will likely nab Smash on digital. I completely acknowledge the fallacy of buying early, but I love that new hardware smell, and have a low tolerance for patience/common sense ;)

L~A

:( Sigh... he ut the big NNID changes to make it believable but this is something already known, just don't know when.

How to make up shit 101.

Tip 1: the bigger the lie, the more people are likely to believe it.
Tip 2: to make the big lie even more believable, couple it with a smaller, but quite believable lie/ a captain obvious statement (like: NINTNEDO WORKING ON NEW ZELDA GUYZ!!! or Nintendo's working on a new system update)
Tip3 : try not to gloat too hard when your story finds yourself on numerous websites because everyone is on "this doesn't look legit so I'm hesitating to write about it but since everyone is gonna write about it I am gonna write about it because otherwise I'm gonna lose click omg" mode.

mrback

I already have a Japanese LL, and yes I'm nabbing the white 3DS - preordered it this morning, in fact. I have a few eshop bits and pieces as well as a handful of physical games, will likely nab Smash on digital. I completely acknowledge the fallacy of buying early, but I love that new hardware smell, and have a low tolerance for patience/common sense ;)

Yeah thats pretty much me, how is the eshop? is it navigatable? surprised if you cant set to english on first setup

L~A

Yeah thats pretty much me, how is the eshop? is it navigatable? surprised if you cant set to english on first setup

How's that surprising? Japanese 3DS (LL) are only meant for the Japanese market. Adding English would only benefit importers, and we all know Nintendo doesn't want imports.

They DID remove Japanese as system language on the DSlite in the West (and had only Japanese on JP consoles), even though the system was region-free.

You can set up the system language as English, but not the eshop. Best bet is to either:

a) Browse the eshop through your browser, a lot quicker than trawling through it on the 3DS (although will be quicker in the wonderful world of New 3DS come October).

b) Use something like the free google translate app on your smartphone, where you can take photos of text on the 3DS and highlight it to translate.

You can add a non-Japanese credit card on to your account, or purchase eshop points cards from online - Play-Asia send codes straight away, but this runs slightly more expensive than just buying content with a card, although also consider that you may be subject to international conversion charges by your bank/card company - I imagine this isn't the same for all countries though.

[Edit: you cannot change the system language to English on a Japanese 3DS (regrettably)]

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
How to make up shit 101.

Tip 1: the bigger the lie, the more people are likely to believe it.
Tip 2: to make the big lie even more believable, couple it with a smaller, but quite believable lie/ a captain obvious statement (like: NINTNEDO WORKING ON NEW ZELDA GUYZ!!! or Nintendo's working on a new system update)
Tip3 : try not to gloat too hard when your story finds yourself on numerous websites because everyone is on "this doesn't look legit so I'm hesitating to write about it but since everyone is gonna write about it I am gonna write about it because otherwise I'm gonna lose click omg" mode.

pretty much this. start with a small and easy to believe idea to get people going (Aliens exist and are communicating directly with humans) and follow up with a whopper of a rumor like new 3DS being region unlocked.
:p

lenovox1

Been thinking a lot about this and why I wont buy it. I have bought two 3ds so far. I think if you are going to make game that are only avialble for the new 3ds.... then they should have upgraded the GPU also. This is coming from someone who is not a graphics whore. But they already have a decent GPU which has upgradable ability why didnt they just upped the clock and call it a day. I actually think it is cool but it seems like Nintendo just is always one decision short of a great thing.

A higher clocked GPU would likely not have made an appreciable performance impact when it's pushing graphics for a 240P screen.

I'm also of the opinion that this update was to largely improve the user experience of the platform—to be the 3DS where peripherals weren't needed and Miiverse is actually usable. Improved vidya game performance should be seen as more of a bonus, in my eyes.

mrback

You can set up the system language as English, but not the eshop. Best bet is to either:

a) Browse the eshop through your browser, a lot quicker than trawling through it on the 3DS (although will be quicker in the wonderful world of New 3DS come October).

b) Use something like the free google translate app on your smartphone, where you can take photos of text on the 3DS and highlight it to translate.

You can add a non-Japanese credit card on to your account, or purchase eshop points cards from online - Play-Asia send codes straight away, but this runs slightly more expensive than just buying content with a card, although also consider that you may be subject to international conversion charges by your bank/card company - I imagine this isn't the same for all countries though.

many thanks for the positive help, thought you would be able to set the system language to english.

L~A

They DID remove Japanese as system language on the DSlite in the West (and had only Japanese on JP consoles), even though the system was region-free.
Huh? I got my DS Lite around the time of Pokemon Pearl coming out in Europe and I'm pretty sure I can set it to Japanese. I'll check when I get home. I wouldn't be surprised if this is something that was only present in some revisions.

japtor

I think the deciding factor for me with the n3DS XL is how well the 3D Headtracking will work actually (as well as if the exclusively made games are worthwhile) Has anyone here tried it with the amazon phone? Any reason we couldn't expect it to be on that level?
The Amazon phone has head tracking but not a 3D screen. It does the head tracking and moving viewpoint trick to simulate a 3D space on screen (I think a DSi game did this even), but it's not a stereoscopic image. I'm not so curious about the head tracking itself (other than if they're doing it on a DSP or something) but how the screen itself works, like if the parallax barrier can move or if they're swapping the left/right images around at known angles or something.

L~A

Huh? I got my DS Lite around the time of Pokemon Pearl coming out in Europe and I'm pretty sure I can set it to Japanese. I'll check when I get home. I wouldn't be surprised if this is something that was only present in some revisions.

Hmm... actually, I believe it's only in the JP consoles (where they removed English and other languages, leaving only Japanese).

They certainly did something funny with the languages on the DSlite, I remember some complaints about that.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I hope we're going to get new infos, more detailed infos soon. I mean, it's just a bit more than a month away, I suppose we should start getting more infos soon.

CassSept

How's that surprising? Japanese 3DS (LL) are only meant for the Japanese market. Adding English would only benefit importers, and we all know Nintendo doesn't want imports.

You're definitely mixing something up, I have a DSL imported from Japan and I can set it to a multitude of languages (incl. English, German, French etc, the standard package), not only Japanese.

Bulbasaur

Banned
That nintendomination guy tweeted a rumour regarding the new 3DS not being region locked and big changes coming to the NNID system.

Obviously everybody wants this to be true.

L.O.R.D

if the new 3DS is region free, what about the eShop ?
if you want to use other region shop , you must change the region where do you live
and that will delete every thing you bought from the store , and your wallet

tsab

if the new 3DS is region free, what about the eShop ?
if you want to use other region shop , you must change the region where do you live
and that will delete every thing you bought from the store , and your wallet

Your NNID is already region locked (Like PSN accounts). You cannot change a region (PAL/JPN/USA) without creating a new NNID

It is doable but don't get your hopes up. It's nintendo, there is no web eshop yet.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
So....if hipotetically I'd like to change my OG3DS with a New 3DS: how can I pass all the data (eshop games, etc...) to my new console?
I know that there is the data transfer but: if I have 3 different SD cards (due to size limits), how does this work?

flak57

No, they really didn't. It didn't take a noticable amount of extra CPU power to handle looking up a table of which palette from memory to apply to the 4-color tile or sprite. And that's all the memory it needed too, 4 bits per tile and 4-bits per sprite, plus the 32 bytes of palette registers (eight 16-bit palette entries for backgrounds, eight 16-bit palette entries for sprites). Just to add color, Nintendo didn't need to triple available memory, double the CPU speed, add DMA's, allow larger cartridges, etc. As a developer, we considered the GBC a true successor to the Gameboy, and we pushed the system as hard as we could, there's no way the original Gameboy could have run the Harry Potter RPGs (especially Chamber of Secrets). And the reason early games were on dual-compatible cartridges wasn't a dictate from Nintendo, it was "gosh, there are millions of original Gameboys on the market, and only a few Gameboy Colors - let's earn tons of money!"

Nintendo didn't want developers *only* adding color, they wanted them to make it obvious the game was improved by being on GBC. From the official GBC dev doc:

This was different from DSi, the DSi Nintendo didn't want end-users to even know it had extra power, if the same game was on both DS and DSi, it was really only things like the camera they wanted developers making a point about. And on that system it really did take extra power to crunch photographs in real time, especially if you wanted to do something cool like apply a sketch shader to them (as in Assassin's Creed 2: Discoveries).

I had a whole huge response typed out to various people in this thread where I (continue to) pretend to know what I'm talking about until I scrolled down to this. Thank you for saving me the embarrassment! The two GBC HP games were great by the way, I still need to try out Prisoner of Azkaban since I only recently found out it was also you guys (even with the development hurdles).

I was on planning on getting the smaller one, but now the more I look at the XL the more I like it. A 3DS XL really doesn't feel that big after playing a Wii U for awhile, hell it feels dow right tiny afterwards.

So....if hipotetically I'd like to change my OG3DS with a New 3DS: how can I pass all the data (eshop games, etc...) to my new console?
I know that there is the data transfer but: if I have 3 different SD cards (due to size limits), how does this work?
Data transfer tool in system settings (note you can go 3DS > New 3DS but not the other way round*, heck you can even DSi>New 3DS). You then copy SD card data to microSD via a PC. Even if you can't do that everything will still be downloadable from the eShop but any saves not in the system memory will be lost.

When you upgraded SD cards you should have copied all the data onto a bigger one. If you didn't you are in for a messier ride (start with your newest card, then the older ones and don't overwrite anything and you should be fine).

*-Relevant for someone like me who is hunting an ambassador system for fun (found potential but too risky for the cost as they could easily have had their games stripped via system transfer). System transfer merges accounts; you can't merge into an NNID (hence if both have NNID you can't merge either) and when you merge save data from source overwrites save data on target (which is why I would make the ambassador system the target)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Data transfer tool in system settings (note you can go 3DS > New 3DS but not the other way round*, heck you can even DSi>New 3DS). You then copy SD card data to microSD via a PC. Even if you can't do that everything will still be downloadable from the eShop but any saves not in the system memory will be lost.

When you upgraded SD cards you should have copied all the data onto a bigger one. If you didn't you are in for a messier ride (start with your newest card, then the older ones and don't overwrite anything and you should be fine).

*-Relevant for someone like me who is hunting an ambassador system for fun (found potential but too risky for the cost as they could easily have had their games stripped via system transfer). System transfer merges accounts; you can't merge into an NNID (hence if both have NNID you can't merge either) and when you merge save data from source overwrites save data on target (which is why I would make the ambassador system the target)

well, that doens't sound so comfortable :|
I'll wait and see until the PAL release in any case.
thank you

Just read that on IGN:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/new-nintendo-3ds-full-specs-launch-lineup-leaked.454207315/

If that's true... Damn... the N3DS would have double the raw power! Imagine what would be possible on that hardware... and the launch lineup!!

u6z7qidd.jpg

What do you think? Could be fake yes but it looks... I don't know authentic.

Camjo-Z

Just read that on IGN:

If that's true... Damn... the N3DS would have double the raw power! Imagine what would be possible on that hardware... and the launch lineup!!

What do you think? Could be fake yes but it looks... I don't know authentic.

Posted to IGN forums with a throwaway account? File apparently deleted from Nintendo servers immediately after he downloaded it? Image supposedly intended for developers pointlessly reveals launch games even though no developer would need to know about them?

seems legit

Ty4on

yeah i got a great little bluetooth speaker that i like to use with my Vita... was hoping to use that function here, as the music in Nintendo games are usually really good.

It's very hard to find mobile SoCs nowadays without BT so if they chose not to go super special on the 4DS that should hopefully be a feature.

I never use the onboard speakers so I love BT as a way of playing without wires getting in the way.

Top Bottom