• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

raven777

540062FA420173002E

micro SD

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't understand how games are supposed to support this and the control scheme of the existing 3DS. You know, the one that will have the vast majority of the install base behind it. More than that, the 3DS is still so lo-fi that I'm not sure what there is to be gained from dual triggers. None of the announced software seems like it would require this new control scheme.

Famassu

I can't help but feel 3DS has been a fuck you from Nintendo to me. With the DS, I bought the Phat model and it still works. And while lite etc. were better DSs, I didn't feel like I missed anything by not upgrading. The OG Phat DS was a great machine from start to finish, even if a bit ugly.

With 3DS, first they piss me in the eyes with the region lock crap, then release a vastly superior 3DS with XL (that should have been the 3DS from the start), which I got and gave my original 3DS to a cousin's child and now they are again releasing a version of 3DS that seems like an upgrade I should get simply because of the second analog stick & improved 3D (I really like the 3D of 3DS, though can admit it's not perfect, so improved 3D would be ideal), which they could've and SHOULD have put into the first XL in the first place.

3DS has been such a clusterfuck to Nintendo in so many ways. It has good games but otherwise nothing really feels like it was well thought out with any kind of long-term ideas in mind.

Gusto

This is cool and all until they release the Zelda themed one and the Pokemon themed one. You know how many 3DS's I have? Jeez

VLiberty

So, basically, the 3DS that should've been released from start, with working 3D and dual analog.

Great way to double down the sales and squeeze all tge money from hardcore users.

Of course I won't double dip, considering that there's almost nothing of my interest coming in the next months

NEO0MJ

Better 3D? I hope that means a better screen (although no res increase is still a pisser).

Second stick is a good move, though I'm not sure that the nipple style was the right way to go. Guess I'd need to try it.

Disappointed that there's no spec bump. The machine's just too weak.

Wouldn't make much sense to do that, espacially so late into the systems life. It will probably be replaced by 2016.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
What's with the second nub thing?? Why not be normal and just make a second stick, or is that too much to expect?

Anyways I'm glad I never plunked money down on an XL. Maybe I'll grab the new revision. I wonder if they improved the resolution?

Balb

Why announce new hardware on a region-specific stream? I don't get Nintendo sometimes.

In any case, it sounds great. I have a lot of problems with the original 3DS hardware and the new one looks like it fixes a lot of them.

Percy

Banned
Groan, still no redesign for the analogue slider, new shoulder buttons are badly placed and second analogue nub looks awkward and uncomfortable to use as well. Think I'll stick with my current 3DS thanks, this doesn't look too good at all.

Why redesign both models though? Surely just the LL would have been enough? Make that the default model.

Newline

I can't help but feel 3DS has been a fuck you from Nintendo to me. With the DS, I bought the Phat model and it still works. And while lite etc. were better DSs, I didn't feel like I missed anything by not upgrading. The OG Phat DS was a great machine from start to finish, even if a bit ugly.

With 3DS, first they piss me in the eyes with the region lock crap, then release a vastly superior 3DS with XL (that should have been the 3DS from the start), which I got and gave my original 3DS to a cousin's child and now they are again releasing a version of 3DS that seems like an upgrade I should get simply because of the second analog stick & improved 3D (I really like the 3D of 3DS, though can admit it's not perfect, so improved 3D would be ideal), which they could've and SHOULD have put into the first XL in the first place.

3DS has been such a clusterfuck to Nintendo in so many ways. It has good games but otherwise nothing really feels like it was well thought out with any kind of long-term ideas in mind.
I don't see how this is different than any other handheld lifecycle.

Better 3D? I hope that means a better screen (although no res increase is still a pisser).

Second stick is a good move, though I'm not sure that the nipple style was the right way to go. Guess I'd need to try it.

Disappointed that there's no spec bump. The machine's just too weak.

There's no point increasing the specs of the hardware at this stage. They tried that with the DSi, and I don't think anybody actually noticed that it had twice the CPU clockspeed, and four times as much RAM.

CassSept

Because it's so late in the day and long overdue. Might as well now you've split the userbase with the second stick and NFC functionality anyway. PSP and DS both did it.

There actually is a CPU bump. Seems it's more like GBC than DSi.

Edit: DSi had a CPU bump aside from downloadable games, nvm.

I.... really don't understand the point of this.

It's far too late for them to be able to add buttons and a second analog "stick" at this point in the game, no game will make mandatory use of them and eliminate the entire current 3DS userbase and if it's literally just the old circle pad being jammed in, that thing is dead in the water outside of Monster Hunter.

Not to mention that second tiny little laptop style nub is in possibly the least ergonomic position I've ever seen.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm sure glad I got this 3DSXL for Monster Hunter 4 that never came.

Nintendo has managed to make me feel bad about buying every single portable they've produced starting with the GBA. Get this shit right from the start you assholes.

ZeroX03

Banned
Because it's so late in the day and long overdue. Might as well now you've split the userbase with the second stick and NFC functionality anyway. PSP and DS both did it.

Userbase isn't split at all. Second stick will always be optional, as it was in MH, etc. Just an inbuilt circle pad really. This was an addition almost entirely for MH players, lol.

EDIT: Welp they actually are splitting the userbase! Xenoblade is exclusive to new 3DS due to CPU power.

Top Bottom