• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes, I really should stay away from these threads before I accidentally let anything slip. Still just the specs though, no new developer hardware available or updated tools yet. I'm not very interested in using the new hardware personally though, just happy if it can extend the 3DS lifetime.

Yeah, I've heard ninjas are quite angry in this season, especially after some specific leak happened. May the souls of those leakers be still alive, since the bodies got destroyed istantly by a "Snap!" with fingers by one of them.

sörine

Banned
Yeah, I've heard ninjas are quite angry in this season, especially after some specific leak happened. May the souls of those leakers be still alive, since the bodies got destroyed istantly by a "Snap!" with fingers by one of them.
Nintendo seems to have a good handle on 3rd party leaks. It's their own house that needs cleaning.

We never got leaked 3DS or Wii U specs either, those came from the homebrew community. It'll probably be the same with New 3DS.

My wife told me that she's excited about the N3DS. She hasn't been excited about a handheld since the GB Pocket, and hasn't owned a handheld since the Pocket (actually, the MAY have had a Color at one point...).

I guess she looked it up after I mentioned it... She's a PC/Mac gamer, mostly city building games, Baldur's Gate style isometric RPGs (She's a Pillars of Eternity backer), and Dragon Age... Now she's completely fangirling over the N3DS, she just wished they had anounced a "see-through purple version."

I'm quite excited for this actually. Had been waiting on a new hardware refresh for 3DS this year although I for some odd reason expected it to be announced earlier.

Whenever this makes its way to NA, I'm in for one. Looks great

I bought Layton vs. Wright, but I can't find my 3DS. I've looked everywhere, but can't even remember when or where I last used it. Neo3DS XL can't come soon enough...

sörine

Banned
I don't want wii ports, I want those on the next handheld
Agreed. I want more N64 remakes on 3DS (Majora's Mask, F-Zero X, Mario 64, Wave Race 64, Paper Mario, Sin & Punishment, etc). Nintendo could make a mint farming more of these kinds of projects out to their close dev partners, Starfox 64 and Ocarina of Time sold a ridiculous amount.

donny2112

Hopes for n3DS:
* SNES VC
* GBA VC
* 3D Web viewing (e.g. Youtube)
* Ability to turn off head-tracking for 3D (fine with 3D location on 3DSXL and having played Looksley's Line up on DSiWare, know that head-tracking can be very problematic)

Nice to haves:
* Unique physical games (e.g. Xenoblade)
* Enhanced games
* Easy system transfer from 3DS
* n3DSWare (e.g. Unity titles)

Toemon

Banned
After looking at this carefully, Nintendo intended for this to bring in new people and to keep extending the 3DS audience. But that's impossible, exclusives or not. Like the 2DS, it will be a separation of rail lines. This will at best keep the current underwhelming 3DS sales stable, and at worst hurt them. Especially if exclusive games/features start to pile on.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't want wii ports, I want those on the next handheld

I'm kinda of this mindset as well.

Rather seem games like Majora's Mask get ported as they'd actually be improved over their N64 counter parts.

Wii games are gonna be a slight downgrade.

tronic307

I just hope this thing makes it to the states at some point, also with Xenoblade, not so sure either will be happening in the US.
It might be a pack-in. No physical copy necessary, no GameStop exclusive. The notion makes me wonder if n3DS exclusives will be sold outside the eShop. The delay in regions outside Japan might even be to localize the game, because as of now, it's the n3DS's killer app.

tuffy

It might be a pack-in. No physical copy necessary, no GameStop exclusive. The notion makes me wonder if n3DS exclusives will be sold outside the eShop. The delay in regions outside Japan might even be to localize the game, because as of now, it's the n3DS's killer app.
I'm also not convinced that store aisles full of "New 3DS"-exclusive software are going to be a reality. Even something like Xenoblade was a fairly modest seller on the Wii last I checked, so it also may wind up as an eShop title where it'll be easy to keep regular 3DS owners from buying it accidentally - unless there's been some news of a physical release that I've missed.

The real "killer app" is more likely to be something like MH4G which makes use of the new built-in controls rather than a port of a game that didn't make a huge impact the last time around.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Hopes for n3DS:
* SNES VC
* GBA VC
* Ability to turn off head-tracking for 3D (fine with 3D location on 3DSXL and having played Looksley's Line up on DSiWare, know that head-tracking can be very problematic)

Nice to haves:
* Enhanced games

Mmmh

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/new/features/index.html

Look at the New 3DS into the 04 space. There's a slide showing how videos are displayed, especially the bottom screen. You have:

Length
Bar
Pause/Play button
Speed button (x1.0 in the slide)
An arrow (don't know what that means)
And something with 3D written on it. Could it indicate 3D videos? Don't know, though.

rekameohs

Banned
I see zero chance that Mario Sunshine is remade before Galaxy. Galaxy is clearly the more popular game, and Sunshine's main gimmick revolved around the analog triggers of the GameCube controller, which the 3DS (or Wii U for that matter) doesn't have.

seeing the photos
you have to remove the back cover to add the memory
its like step backward , why ? can't they make it like mobile devices ?
The last 2 phones I had required me to remove the back cover to replace the MicroSD card.

Removing the SD isn't that common an activity for me that I'd need constant access to the card any way.

sörine

Banned
Hopes for n3DS:
* SNES VC
* GBA VC

Nice to haves:
* Enhanced games
I want Virtual Boy VC.

StayDead

seeing the photos
you have to remove the back cover to add the memory
its like step backward , why ? can't they make it like mobile devices ?

You just take the back plate off (which is a faceplate easy to remove by the way) and put it in. It's to save space I'd imagine.

Didn't they without studdering just flat out say 2015 for the U.S.? If so nothing to worry about. Although i think this will probably hurt the U,S, audience more than help.

I don't know if they ever said US actually, I know they said 2015 for EU, which people just assumed also meant 2015 NA

You just take the back plate off (which is a faceplate easy to remove by the way) and put it in. It's to save space I'd imagine.

Actually the back plate is screwed on, you'll need a screwdriver to insert and remove the MicroSD card

Maggots

Banned
This is not splintering the user base... if anything it is unifying the split that happened when the CPP was introduced... seriously... it's like the wii motion plus being finally integrated and no longer needing the dumb add on... i Don't get why so many people are bothered by this... its Basically a 3DSi ... Get it or don't ... you don't have to buy one. ... I'll Probably buy 2 to make up for it.

FryHole

I don't know if they ever said US actually, I know they said 2015 for EU, which people just assumed also meant 2015 NA

Actually the back plate is screwed on, you'll need a screwdriver to insert and remove the MicroSD card

Nah, US gets nothing this year either.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2014/140829.html

As for the overseas markets, our local subsidiaries will separately confirm. However, there will be no U.S. and European launches this calendar year.

Kansoku

And something with 3D written on it. Could it indicate 3D videos? Don't know, though.

I think it is. It's written 3D動画を再生中, which roughly translate to "During 3D movie playback" or something like this.

BowieZ

Banned
This is not splintering the user base... if anything it is unifying the split that happened when the CPP was introduced... seriously... it's like the wii motion plus being finally integrated and no longer needing the dumb add on... i Don't get why so many people are bothered by this... its Basically a 3DSi ... Get it or don't ... you don't have to buy one. ... I'll Probably buy 2 to make up for it.
Yeah I don't get it either; it must be semantics or something...? A new system and some new games. Either buy them, or don't...?

This happens all the time. "Splintering the user base" is one of those phrases that catches on but practically means nothing.

Maggots

Banned
The last 2 phones I had required me to remove the back cover to replace the MicroSD card.

Removing the SD isn't that common an activity for me that I'd need constant access to the card any way.

Its going to be even less common now that there is some sort of wifi transfer ability for photos and music with a PC... The only reason would be to copy the whole card to a new one... and If you just get a large enough card there will never be a reason to take it out ... pretty much ever...

RomanceDawn

Can someone please tell me what to think? I just bought my 3rd 3DS a few months ago but this thing really appeals to me and I don't know why.

I want the XL but it does not get switcho plates right? Would that C stick thing work for smash you think?

Is anything different with the picture quality? I'm not clear on that.

Really though, releasing ports, possibly ENHANCED ports on the new 3DS would be a cheap way to make the system so much more desirable. I already want to get Xenoblade, if Nintendo filled in the gaps of their line-up with games like Sunshine, Twilight Princess, and maybe even Metroid Prime now THAT would be amazing. I kinda wish that they didn't rerelease DKCR so early, they could've released it at 60fps instead of 30fps like the Wii game.

Can someone please tell me what to think? I just bought my 3rd 3DS a few months ago but this thing really appeals to me and I don't know why.

I want the XL but it does not get switcho plates right? Would that C stick thing work for smash you think?

Is anything different with the picture quality? I'm not clear on that.

The nXL does not have the swappable face plates, correct. Only the n3DS does. The C stick will work in Smash as expected, like the GameCube C-stick. It also works as a built-in Circle Pad Pro for games that support it.

Picture quality is unchanged, it has the same resolution as before. The n3DS screens got a tiny bit bigger, so the pixel density is a little lower, while the nXL's picture density has stayed the same.

Yeah it's just like Wii Motion Plus.....like that time when Wii Motion Plus was over 150 dollars.

I see zero chance that Mario Sunshine is remade before Galaxy. Galaxy is clearly the more popular game, and Sunshine's main gimmick revolved around the analog triggers of the GameCube controller, which the 3DS (or Wii U for that matter) doesn't have.

Galaxy's main gimmick was pointing at star pieces and collecting them. Sunshine's "gimmick" wasn't a gimmick at all but a crucial gameplay element. I would much rather have Sunshine 3D. Give me exploration-based Mario over Galaxy any day.

RomanceDawn

The nXL does not getting the swappable face plates, correct. Only the n3DS does. The C stick will work in Smash as expected, like the GameCube C-stick. It also works as a built-in Circle Pad Pro for games that support it.

Picture quality is unchanged, it has the same resolution as before. The n3DS screens got a tiny bit bigger, so the pixel density is a little lower, while the nXL's picture density has stayed the same.

Thanks. I'm sucker for aesthetics but I don't know if I want I want to go back to a smaller screen.

But man that C stick will give an edge in Smash and I still want to stay competitive with my future low tiers...

BowieZ

Banned
Yeah it's just like Wii Motion Plus.....like that time when Wii Motion Plus was over 150 dollars.
I'm pretty sure I paid about $200 for all my original wii motion plus accessories, and probably spent $300 on getting the themed wii remote pluses earlier this year.

Tilmen said the n3DS XL is region free

dont-believe-his-lies_clink_large.jpg

Here's hoping they can set up demos that show both models. I want to be able to look at both to see which would be more up my alley. I've got the XL right now, but I might be willing to go down a size if it means better quality but is still big enough.

I'm excited at the idea of playing Chronicles on a portable device. I tried playing the console version, but eventually got distracted by other games and couldn't get back into it (I had gotten to the top of the tree). I'd be really interested to see if they make any modifications to the game itself.

watershed

Banned
There's no reason to believe any rumor about the New 3ds right now. Whenever a new console or hardware revision is announced there's a rush of bs rumors to fill the void of information and the desire to believe this new product is gonna be amazing. It's just a bunch of people having their fun or fishing for clicks.

There's no reason to believe any rumor about the New 3ds right now. Whenever a new console or hardware revision is announced there's a rush of bs rumors to fill the void of information and the desire to believe this new product is gonna be amazing. It's just a bunch of people having their fun or fishing for clicks.

That, and sometimes companies intentionally release a shit-screen so that people won't be able to tell a real leak if they see it...

Top Bottom