• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

RM8

I believe it. I was saying it in the announcement thread, but I have faith that Nintendo has learned their lesson when it comes to region locking handheld devices.
I wish I could be this optimistic. Not only I'd buy one day zero (which is happening regardless), but I'd buy a ton of Japanese games.

If it IS region free, that makes my decision so much easier. BUT, I'll wait until we find out either way. I doubt it, but it would make a very nice bonus.

If it's region free, I may import for the first time ever...

Well if they aren't going to ship it for this year they're going to stay quiet about it as it'll only work as a deterrent for holiday season purchasers.

That doesn't make any sense though... The same people who would see an NA or EU Direct and tell everyone about it, thus affecting sales, already know about it... and are telling people about it(and already reporting on it)... and are already affecting sales just as much as they would with a local direct... There's absolutely no reason for NOA and NOE to act as though they don't know anything about it.

LMN

I believe it. I was saying it in the announcement thread, but I have faith that Nintendo has learned their lesson when it comes to region locking handheld devices.

This is Nintendo, so I seriously doubt it, but TBH I sincerely hope N3ds is region free, I'm still sad till this day that I can't play games like SRW UX, Ex trooper, and Gundam on my 3DS XL

I would definitely import if it's region free. That would make me extremely happy, and I would finally catch up with some Japanese games like Ouendan.

HUELEN10

You guys are believing someone who allegedly has been proven as unreliable, that poses with bootleg Luigi plushies?

Somnid

If it's region free, I may import for the first time ever...

That doesn't make any sense though... The same people who would see an NA or EU Direct and tell everyone about it, thus affecting sales, already know about it... and are telling people about it(and already reporting on it)... and are already affecting sales just as much as they would with a local direct... There's absolutely no reason for NOA and NOE to act as though they don't know anything about it.

I think you're underestimating the general gaming apathy of the market, and parents.

majik13

He tweeted it. He's that guy that does the Nintendomination videos.
Thanks, Im guessing the tweet didnt say much, or give where he heard it?

Man it would suck if people import off just this tweet and it ends up being locked. Im sure we will get a clarification before too long though.

Thanks, Im guessing the tweet didnt say much, or give where he heard it?

Man it would suck if people import off just this tweet and it ends up being locked. Im sure we will get a clarification before too long though.

Of course not.

NiNTENDOMiNATiON @TiLMEN · 18h
RUMOR!!! An Alien told me that there is a possibility, that the "NEW #Nintendo #3DS" won't have #RegionLocking & Big NNiD changes incomming

Personally, I think he's full of it.

nikatapi

Looks like Famitsu got to try out the console... can someone translate some choice excerpts? Article.

Edit : Dengeki Online too!

Going by the Google translations, it seems that the 3D viewing angles are improved greatly, and the c-button is like the laptop pointing sticks:

220px-Mouse_pointing_stick.jpeg

I'm very hyped about the improved 3D, even though i didn't have any serious problems with my OG 3DS.

There's no reason to believe any rumor about the New 3ds right now. Whenever a new console or hardware revision is announced there's a rush of bs rumors to fill the void of information and the desire to believe this new product is gonna be amazing. It's just a bunch of people having their fun or fishing for clicks.

Indeed.

In particular when considering the fact that the existence of New 3DS and New 3DS XL did not leak at all, unlike many previous revisions (DSi, 3DS XL, 2DS).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I wouldn't want that IGN "leak" to be legit simply because I'd rather a HD remake of TP with the option to use Wii or GCN controls or maybe even the original E3 controls where the sword was still a button press but it still had Wiimote aiming.

I think you're underestimating the general gaming apathy of the market, and parents.
Not really, do you think a local direct would affect that apathy? The news that a new 3DS is on the horizon is already known to the people who track Nintendo Directs. I don't see how a local one would change anything other than keeping NOA and NOE from looking like they have their heads in the sand. At the moment they just look terribly mismanaged by not acknowledging it's existence.

Even if N3DS is 'region free'... does that mean all games? Or just N3DS games? Consider the fact that PS3 is region free, but BC models will not play out of region PS2 games.

Also take into consideration we KNOW region locking on the regular 3DS is merely a software block that could easily be patched out. Why not patch it out of the old 3DS as well then?

I wouldn't count on region free.

Tbh I bet there's a rumor for just about every Nintendo franchise atm.
Come on Doshin the Giant HD.

if it was region free and i imported one would the e-shop only japan ? or could i change it so i can get to the european 3-shop
This if it was region free the country list in the system settings would have all countrries on it (this is what determines eShop access, literally you can't access the Japanese eShop on a US 3Ds as you can't change the country to Japan) on it and you would be able to use English menu too. Unless they do a weird thing where carts are region free but everything remains the same (I'd think they would go big or go home).

Also if it was region free they would have to allow for multiple NNID uses to be active as the current 3DS only allows one and NNID locks you into a single country.

I seriously doubt both things are happening as I think both things are needed and multiple users they would have talked about already.

Damn I really don't know if I'm gonna downsize.
I love the XL primarily because it makes playing DS games back in their true ratio tolerable.
It's just way to bulky to carry around though.
Plus dem plates.
But the smaller one has a ridiculous bezel around the top screen which doesn't look great.

Hmmmm.......

Looks like Famitsu got to try out the console... can someone translate some choice excerpts? Article.

Edit : Dengeki Online too!

My wife can read it, she skimmed Famitsu article - they think the 3D viewing angle is incredible and it's also much clearer for a second person looking over the shoulder, even though Nintendo hasn't said so explicitly. They say the new stick & trigger buttons are well placed and work good but comfort will depend on hand size. When comparing the two, they say it's hard to pick which is better, cause the LL is easier to hold and has bigger screens, but the regular is still bigger than the old regular 3DS, and much lighter. You could pretty much just infer most of that without an article :D

HUELEN10

Okay, hype at maximum. New Nintendo 3DS looks nearly perfect. The only, and I mean ONLY flaw I see if the location of the place to attach a wrist strap; because it's on the back, you can't attach a strap AND use the charging dock at the same time. It's either/or, but dammit I can overlook that oopsie!

This is gonna be the best thing ever.

Big question. (Probably has been discussed already, but 40+ pages for me)

Why is it New Nintendo 3DS and not Nintendo New 3DS? I saw the logo, and it does indeed look more like New Nintendo 3DS (New is above Nintendo).

Actually, the problem is probably bigger than that.

When you say "This is my New Nintendo 3DS", I don't think the listener will be able to identify whether you're talking about a brand new plain (old) Nintendo 3DS or a New Nintendo 3DS.

"Hey, sir, would like to buy a New 3DS?"
"No, I already got a 3DS." (and he only has plain old 3DS)

Edit: This isn't a problem in Japanese context, but in English, it is.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
My wife can read it, she skimmed Famitsu article - they think the 3D viewing angle is incredible and it's also much clearer for a second person looking over the shoulder, even though Nintendo hasn't said so explicitly. They say the new stick & trigger buttons are well placed and work good but comfort will depend on hand size. When comparing the two, they say it's hard to pick which is better, cause the LL is easier to hold and has bigger screens, but the regular is still bigger than the old regular 3DS, and much lighter. You could pretty much just infer most of that without an article :D

aww yissss

Top Bottom