• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals the "New Nintendo 3DS" and "New Nintendo 3DS LL"

Man, I thought I was the only one who thought this. I had WAY more difficulty positioning myself in 3D space in 3D World than in 3D Land. With the camera angles they chose for those two games, 3D visuals were a huge help in making sure you knew where you were at all times. I've never struggled to simply jump on a goomba correctly in a Mario game like I did in 3D World.
This has flown under the radar of many.

If you notice Nintendo (cleaverly) acomodated the level desgin in 3D World to mitigate the miss judged perspective problems by reducing the instances where a miss calculated jump results in instant dead. Yet, the perspective problem due to the camera positioning is easy to notice in circunstances as simple as jumping to grab an item, where players need to do consecutive corrective jumps to complete the task.

In the case of 3D World, Nintendo should have allowed a 30 fps option with Steresocpic 3D. Or allow Wii U remote play with the N3DS and patch games to support stereoscopic 3D.
Are there any differences in the screens (like better picture quality)? Or are the old and new 3DS screens about the same?
In some video comparisons i' ve seen comparing the orginal and N3DS, the image seems slightly richer in the new ones. Some people have commented on that. But i don't know if the age of the original 3DS in the comparisons factor in those impressions.

Sound seems to be improved in comparisons to the old XL. Pretty much confirmed by now. As well as better image quality from the cameras, even if the resolution remains the same.

Then there's a LOT of tweaks that make everything better in comparison to the first model:

[.] Having the card slot in front and to the left.
[.] Having the stylus accesible from the front instead of the back.
[.] Select and start new positioning making more suitable for operation.
[.] The volume slider is in a better thematically and usable position.
[.] You can turn on the unit when is closed.
[.] Removeable face plates. Important both in terms of aesthetics and preserving the system.
[.] The extra middle postioning of the top part of the clamshell.
[.] The dynamic contrast option and slightly extended battery life.

M3d10n

Then there's a LOT of tweaks that make everything better in comparison to the first model:

[.] Having the card slot in front and to the left.
[.] Having the stylus accesible from the front instead of the back.
[.] Select and start new positioning making more suitable for operation.
[.] The volume slider is in a better thematically and usable position.
[.] You can turn on the unit when is closed.
[.] Removeable face plates. Important both in terms of aesthetics and preserving the system.
[.] The extra middle postioning of the top part of the clamshell.
[.] The dynamic contrast option and slightly extended battery life.

You can also access the contents of the Micro SD card via wifi.

Jedi2016

Can anyone speak to the 3D effect in regards to screen distance (XL specifically)?

I have the OG 3DS, and while I know the left/right "sweet spot" has been fixed, I'm wondering about distance. As it is, I have to hold the OG a bit closer to my face than I'd like in order to avoid crosstalk on the sides, which would only be worse on the XL's larger screen.

Is it easier to hold it at a more comfortable distance while still getting a solid 3D effect?

Benedict

Digital Foundry has reviewed the new 3DS.

verdict:
The New 3DS is very much about iterating on what has gone before rather than promising a full-scale revolution - but at the same time, as far as Nintendo hardware refreshes go, it's one of the most drastic; easily on par with the paradigm shift that was the Game Boy Advance SP, which famously introduced a backlit colour screen and a rechargeable battery to Nintendo fans for the first time ever.
The processor bump makes the core UI faster and allows for better games in the fullness of time, with the unfortunate caveat being that existing 3DS owners aren't invited to the party.
The head-tracking improves the system's much-hyped glasses-free 3D effect remarkably, while the addition of a second analogue stick offers the kind of control that really should have been present in the console when it first launched.

Basically just did the worst thing possible for me and the best thing for Nintendo. Ever since the new 3ds' were announced I've been kind of looking at my OG 3ds with a growing hatred, and I just broke down and ordered myself a regular XL. By no means will this deter me from buying a ~new~ 3ds XL next year, and I'll be able to enjoy pokemon in November with style, so I haven't got too many regrets (right now). Still, I guess this was what they wanted by holding off releasing with ~new~ 3DS' over here this year though. Eek out those remaining sales.

topplehat

Basically just did the worst thing possible for me and the best thing for Nintendo. Ever since the new 3ds' were announced I've been kind of looking at my OG 3ds with a growing hatred, and I just broke down and ordered myself a regular XL. By no means will this deter me from buying a ~new~ 3ds XL next year, and I'll be able to enjoy pokemon in November with style, so I haven't got too many regrets (right now). Still, I guess this was what they wanted by holding off releasing with ~new~ 3DS' over here this year though. Eek out those remaining sales.

Eh you should've held out. I'm kinda holding off on my 3ds library right now in favor for the Vita until the new 3Ds comes.

Eh you should've held out. I'm kinda holding off on my 3ds library right now in favor for the Vita until the new 3Ds comes.

Hey, I know man haha, I know it wasn't the *smart* decision but I was thinking about the prospect of having to go through pokemon, shantae, xeodrifter on the OG and it was killing me. Like I said, it's not the best financial sense, but I can just as well buy a *new* one next year anyway when it comes here. This will probably help me hold off until there's a game or so that support it's controls too (xenoblade and FFexplorers hopefully), a design I like etc. But totally, I should have held out.
YOLO.

Zing

Banned
I think it was smart. We may not get the new 3DS until spring, or later! I figure we have at least five months. It's pocket change to buy an XL now and trade it or sell it later.

If there are various releases you which to play then is not that bad of a desicion. You' ll be enjoying yourself instead of suffering the wait. And also there's the possibility for recovering part of the investment since stores run promotions where credit is given for the old models or better yet sale it to someone else.

Also we can't blame Nintendo for not announcing the model offically in America. What would they do with the remaining stock? We are talking millions of dollars in merchandise, just think on how sales have been declining and imagine complicating the situation by announcing the new model too early discouraging sales even more.

Also i don't see them really pushing for a release beyond the first quarter. Hopefuly february is as long as they'll go.

Felensis

Banned
What he's describing is crosstalk, which has nothing to do with the brain not being able to comprehend something (it can be captured with cameras). It's a limitation of the parallax barrier 3D technology and happens whenever there's high contrast like a bright image next to a dark background. The light from the bright image leaks through the dark image for the other eye and creates what looks like ghosting. Head/eye tracking won't change this so I highly doubt it's been fixed on the n3DS but someone else can confirm.

QBGEIar.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the great explanation. I wasn't able to see the 3D effect until recently (had LASIK on my right eye which then returned from lazyness within 2 years) and while it works perfectly fine most of the time I often wondered about this situation which you've described. Now I know that this hasn't to do with my view in particular and that other users are also affected.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

eh, i copped an XL for $125 a month ago. will probably get $100 for it from gamester when i trade it in for a n3DS so it's basically like renting an XL for $25.

69wpm

Sorry for the bump. Has anyone seen one on sale in Europe? Because here in Romania you can buy the Aussie version at retail. Costs around 215 Euros.

Can anyone answer this for me:

Would this New 3DS be capable of running a remake of Twilight Princess? It would be pretty neat to have OoT, MM, ALBW and TP all on 3ds.

Kathian

Banned
Can anyone answer this for me:

Would this New 3DS be capable of running a remake of Twilight Princess? It would be pretty neat to have OoT, MM, ALBW and TP all on 3ds.

No reason why not based on what we've seen so far but I think it would struggle to pull off the art and not look a mush of brown textures.

Top Bottom