• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo revives PSP style interior box art for Switch and it is gorgeous

As much as I like PSP boxes, I think one similar in size to the Vita ones would have been much better. They take quite a lot less space and feel really cool too.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
If the final case was used in NOA's hardware and accessories overview, then don't expect reversible covers or extra art on the inside in NA at least. Considering they had what looked like the final retail game, don't get your hopes up, at least for first party releases for NA. Nintendo of Europe might do it, I don't know.

Earlier first-party 3DS releases in Europe and especially Japan often had reversible art. However, among first-party releases in NA only Kid Icarus: Uprising did. Few third-parties did it also on 3DS. Even a few Wii and Wii U games had it. It's not super common, however.

As for competitors, Sony does it for their first-party releases worldwide, as do some other publishers on PlayStation.

Just another reason to go physical.

Team physical forever.

I'll bet that's for the sake of readability when looking at the inside art... which gives me hope that it's not just Japan getting this little perk.

Also the instruction manual grips are above the cart slot instead of to the left, which is a new design choice for a game package I believe.

Can't wait to have plain red spines with the same ugly default font in all caps and a bunch of health and safety information printed on the inside in Europe.

jts

...hate me...
you-will-buy-a-switch.gif

That just made me cancel my pre-order.

Peterthumpa

Gorgeous.

Though it's pretty stupid to have a freaking "(...) FOR NINTENDO SWITCH" in the case's game title of a game... for the Nintendo Switch.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i think they look nice but it's an awful waste of paper and plastic. the case could be so much smaller. it's only a small card for goodness sake. they should've stuck with 3DS box dimensions.

Peterthumpa

i think they look nice but it's an awful waste of paper and plastic. the case could be so much smaller. it's only a small card for goodness sake. they should've stuck with 3DS box dimensions.
Nah, I understand the marketing appeal of it. Nintendo sells the Switch as a home console, they need to make cases that relate to that, not to a handheld.

Schlomo

But these are just mock boxes for pre-ordering. The final packages will be different (might still have inside art though).

Luigiv

Just checked these out at both Bic Camera and Yodabashi Camera today. Can confirm they look good. Also got to see an actual Switch system on display at the latter. It's smaller and even sleeker in person than I imagined. The neon red joycon is also super intense.

But these are just mock boxes for pre-ordering. The final packages will be different (might still have inside art though).

Pretty sure these aren't mock boxes, they even have the cartridge slot. Other stores seem to have made their own but these look official.

Tigel

Like PS3 and PS4 games too.
And then, most 3rd parties will stop printing inside box art to save cost or whatever.

Only in Japan.

Such a missed opportunity... Switch is already low on launch games, they really could've capitalised a little more.

That + I really want a copy heh.

On topic: I loved the PSP covers. Good to see Nintendo trying a different form than the simple DVD/Bluray cover + the return to the red 'Nintendo' logo. Grey was so bland.

Garou

Yeah, not to burst anybody's bubble or anything, but those insides all just look like typical store display model advertising. I don't expect those to be inside actual retail copies.

Because they often put display models on shelves which you take up to the counter in Japanese electronic stores. For example with Wii U games, they also have these cardboard cases with an "open me for more information inside" cover.

Not to mention that Zelda and 1 2 Switch have yellow "open" signs on the top corner of the cases saying "More details inside the case", Super Bomberman R says "Sample" in grey in the bottom, Dragon Quest says "Open the package to look at the inner presentation" (roughly), Disgaea says "Please look at the inside", and I am Setsuna says "Please look at the more detailed information when you open the package" (roughly).

Pretty much this, these are promo-covers and nothing else.

lastplace09

Neo Member
I feel like I'm missing something here. Are the games out in Japanese stores or something?

I'm feeling kinda dumb for even asking this...

**Edit** I think I found the answer--looks like they are for pre-ordering purposes. Derp.

Cepheus

1st post nails it perfectly, I have no faith in NoA, all we're gonna to get is a blank empty white background.

Most likely Japan and the US will get it, but Europe won't. Most PAL Wii games had boring grey end labels instead of the game's logos like the US ones had.

-shadow-

Out of curiosity, but do PC/PS4/One boxes also annoy you?

Fbh

Looks great. Hopefully they keep it for the west.

While not a "real" issue. Games have become kinda boring to open. More often than not all that is waiting for you inside is the disc. No manual, no pic, no anything.

Koren

Nintendo has already played with prints inside the case (through the eco holes)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466176

Most likely Japan and the US will get it, but Europe won't. Most PAL Wii games had boring grey end labels instead of the game's logos like the US ones had.
The question is divisive, there was a whole thread about it... Many people prefer "plain" spine labels.

3DS boxes aren't smaller... Switch ones are taller, but narrower, I'm pretty sure it's about the same.

I'm not even sure that shops welcome really small packaging.

Top Bottom