• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo says the Switch Lite isn’t going to replace the 3DS.

SonGoku

Just like the Switch didn't replace the WiiU and the DS didn't replace the GBA
giphy.gif

Last edited:
So when is the next first party 3DS game coming Nintendo? :messenger_smirking:

Nintendo said the same thing about the Wii U. And all they did was leave the lights on for us in the basement.

Andyliini

3DS in an interesting device. New games don't really sell on it anymore, but ever-greens still seem to sell well, even at undiscounted prices. Console itself also seems to sell quite well, considering the device is 8 years old.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Just like the Switch didn't replace the WiiU and the DS didn't replace the GBA
giphy.gif
I mean the Wii U sure but GBA was still around for a couple more years getting games even in 2007. The hardware and games didn't magically vanish away in 2004 the moment the DS showed up.

Last edited by a moderator:

SonGoku

I mean the Wii U sure but GBA was still around for a couple more years getting games up until 2007.
Yeah but it was replaced by the DS nevertheless contrary to Nintendo's claim that the DS wasn't the GBA successor
They just want to keep selling the remaining stock, its not like they are making 3DS games anymore right?

This news makes me happy. As long as stereo scopic 3D games (or dual screen games) continue to be produced, I'll continue to buy them!

But that said, the new Switch Lite is fire. I really don't need another handheld but if it's the only way I can play Xenoblade Chronicles 2, then so be it... I'll make space in my draw.

Last edited:
They mean this literally, in terms of a big business speaking directly to actual retailers. 3DS still sells.

Fuck, Mario 64 is still full price used. 3DS is on actual shelves at Wal-Mart, right now. that's what they mean.

kunonabi

As much as I would like more 3DS games to look forward to, it's dead as a door nail. There is nothing major announced and the money is in making Switch games. The system had a great run, featured their best portable design in the regular N3DS, and had a great sendoff with Persona Q2. Cant ask for much more than that aside from Ninty not being so lazy with the last few releases maybe.

All I ask is they keep the eshop online long enough for me to catch up.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Do yourself a favor and wait for the pro or get a regular switch to play docked
XBC2 on handheld mode looks and plays awful.
I put over 300 hours in to XC2 both docked and handheld. Sure Its not native resolution on handheld mode but it’s far from “unplayable”. It’s not as bad as you are making out to be.

SonGoku

I put over 300 hours in to XC2 both docked and handheld. Sure Its not native resolution on handheld mode but it’s far from “unplayable”. It’s not as bad as you are making out to be.
But it looks like a blurfest, why spoil the experience like that? Remember the Lite has no docked mode.
Just wait for pro handheld mode or play in docked mode which has better performance as well.

Last edited:

Cynn

Who else is old enough to remember when Nintendo assured everyone that the DS wasn’t going to replace the “Gameboy” line?

Well you’re old and Nintendo still lies.

But it looks like a blurfest, why spoil the experience like that? Remember the Lite has no docked mode.
Just wait for pro handheld mode or play in docked mode which has better performance as well.

...This is pretty much why I haven't bought a Nintendo Switch yet. Once I've finished playing through my undub rip of Xenoblade Chronicles X on my Wii U, I think I'll dive straight in and buy whatever the best hardware option Nintendo is offering for the Switch just to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 . I'm kinda hoping that the smaller screen on the Lite makes the low-res/smudginess of the game look fractionally better. I'm really excited to play it. The character designs are:lollipop_fire:.

Literally impossible to find a 3DS in store in Norway now, as far as I've seen. Only thing left is the New 2DS and that one is running out as well and not be restocked. It's dead Jim.

I like going back to a single screen with the portables, never felt like the double screens gave anything noteworthy to most games, though the clamshell design definitely was good for kids, ensuring less broken screens. Vita was my portable console delight, though it could've done without the back touch and added two additional buttons for L2/R2 functions. In that sense the Switch was an amazing follow-up from the 3DS for me, even more so being able to remove the controllers and use the screen as just a screen. That said, the quality of the hardware feels different and I do miss that kind of sleek design and sense of quality I felt from holding the Vita. Switch feels a bit more crude, though I love it, especially by it allowing me to play Dark Souls on the go.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
...This is pretty much why I haven't bought a Nintendo Switch yet. Once I've finished playing through my undub rip of Xenoblade Chronicles X on my Wii U, I think I'll dive straight in and buy whatever the best hardware option Nintendo is offering for the Switch just to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 . I'm kinda hoping that the smaller screen on the Lite makes the low-res/smudginess of the game look fractionally better. I'm really excited to play it. The character designs are:lollipop_fire:.
If you're coming off from 3ds, you have no problems at all.

Also, I'm patiently waiting for Bravely 3rd on Switch. That series does not deserved to stay dead on 3ds.

Last edited:
Just greedy Ninty again, trying to uphold the prices. N3DS and N2DS both are way overpriced for their age and obsoleteness.

(Man, I just want a replacement for my flappy OG 3DS - the green glittery one - for a reasonable price :messenger_face_steam: )

buizel

Banned
This news makes me happy. As long as stereo scopic 3D games (or dual screen games) continue to be produced, I'll continue to buy them!

But that said, the new Switch Lite is fire. I really don't need another handheld but if it's the only way I can play Xenoblade Chronicles 2, then so be it... I'll make space in my draw.

But what 3DS games have been coming out? Even the Vita has many a month still.

Saber

Gold Member
People will be buy to play pokemon? Check
Lite is a portable that can go anywhere but can't be used on TV? Check

Sorry, it's hard to believe in that chief.

Last edited:

cabbage5k2

The company says that it isn’t ending support for the 3DS line of systems despite the emergence of the Switch Lite. “We’ll continue to support our 3DS family of systems as long as there is demand,” says Nintendo of America president Doug Bowser.

Except they already don't really have anything new in the pipeline for the 3DS, and nor does any third party at this point. Essentially just going to keep the system on shelves for slightly longer, but the system, by all standards, is dead now.

Javthusiast

Banned
Just have the balls to come out and say the obvious nintendo. We all know 3ds won't get any new games. Say the switch lite is the handheld going forward and people who wanna buy a 3ds for the game library will still buy it, the others a switch.

Pathetic cowards.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
thumb_the-fat-controller-laughed-you-are-wrong-factory-owner-reacting-41921631.png

They just want the tail-end sales for 3DS because there are still some games coming out for it.

They'd be smart to drop the n2DS models to $100/$120 this holiday.

RScrewed

I'm about to give up on Nintendo. They're one of the few companies that get a total pass for outright misleading to their fanbase because the quality of their games are still the benchmark.

It's like being with an verbally abusive partner who otherwise takes really good care of you and tends to all of your needs.

Doom85

Interviewer: Nintendo.....you do know what year it is, right?
Nintendo: How rude, of course we know what year it is! It's 2019. We're not idiots. But don't you see, the Switch alone isn't enough. We need the 3DS to back it up. How else will be able to defeat SEGA and their dreaded Game Gear?!
Interviewer: Ooookay, well that's about all the time we have for today.....

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Ninendo isn't going to say "stop buying our stuff" even about the old stuff. Duh. I'm sure you'll see a sharp drop in 3DS sales after the Switch Lite launches given its far more attractive price point (but still not as low as an ~80-90 2DS to think it covers all market segments either) as it continues its downward spiral, from the early days of the Switch launch where it seemed to still get big games to how that has slowed down to a halt in recent months, but of course it will remain in stores as long as there's profit to be made on both the hardware and its software. Did anyone expect different?

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I wonder who but Nintendo can still sell you an ARM11 based device to this date, a core from around the OG iphone. It's all about the fun, but it's interesting to ponder.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
I'm about to give up on Nintendo. They're one of the few companies that get a total pass for outright misleading to their fanbase because the quality of their games are still the benchmark.

It's like being with an verbally abusive partner who otherwise takes really good care of you and tends to all of your needs.

Really? I don't think trying to keep interest in the 3DS/2DS going is some heinous crime. It's a cynical business move, but what are they supposed to do? Abruptly pull all DS hardware from shelves? They know there's going to be some people who'll still want it for a little while, even if its era has effectively passed.

Top Bottom