• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shareholder Meeting approval ratings are in: Iwata & Miyamoto's ratings up!

TheMoon

Shareholders are hyped about Ninty being back in the profit pool, getting our their bathing attire! (And they finally can ride the mobile hypetrain!)

– Satoru Iwata: 83.45% (80.64%)
– Genyo Takeda: 92.07% (86.80%)
– Shigeru Miyamoto: 92.08% (86.81%)

– Tatsumi Kimishima: 92.60% (89.11%)
– Shigeyuki Takahashi: 94.46% (93.32%)
– Satoshi Yamato: 94.46% (93.33%)
– Susumu Tanaka: 94.46% (93.33%)
– Shinya Takahashi: 94.46% (93.33%)
– Hirokazu Shinshi: 94.46% (93.33%)
– Naoki Mizutani: 94.52% (94.03%)

The Year-End Dividend was approved by 96.83% of all shareholders.
(parentheses show last year's ratings)

source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/voting_1506.pdf via http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/n...rs-iwata-miyamotos-approval-rates-up-in-2015/

Maybe they'll fire him next year, guys. Don't lose hope lolololol

Kathian

Banned
Well they've had a better year (I'd say a good one even with the 3DS life cycle continuing to come to an end) so not much of a surprise its gone up.

Genuine question: why should we care what shareholders think of executives at Nintendo?

Affects the business which in turn affects the software output. And end of the day its just news, people will care or not care depending on their own mindset.

Genuine question: why should we care what shareholders think of executives at Nintendo?
Very few people's opinions matter to Nintendo. Their shareholders happen to be part of that small circle. Low approval ratings would be a danger to the positions of key people like Iwata or people who work under him.

L~A

With Nintendo now making money again + the DeNA deal, that's no surprise investors are more happy with Iwata and co.. Now we'll see how long that lasts.

The Amiibo business is booming faster and wider than they expected and they can confidently move to produce more, have a fully integrated console / toy around them, and immediately deliver consumers a (false, arguably, but powerful) sense of ownership and value. 11 million Amiibo useable on the next console in some interesting / unique way will be hard to shake.

NotLiquid

Once again a reminder that for better or for worse depending on how you look at it, Iwata and Miyamoto are here to stay for the foreseeable future.

– Genyo Takeda: 92.07% (86.80%)

tonystarejeml.gif

Gnilres

Once again a reminder that for better or for worse depending on how you look at it, Iwata and Miyamoto are here to stay for the foreseeable future.

I don't necessarily see it as BAD, but all I can say is after sticking with Nintendo since the N64, I may not buy the NX if it's not up to par.

I want change is all.

JoeM86

Good. Rather that than a faceless suit who just wants to make money and appease investors, I would rather people run the company who know gaming, are developers, and will take risks even if it backfires.

Nice to see the approval ratings are bright and sunny in Nintendoland.

screen-shot-2014-03-16-at-11-56-27-pm.png

I guess it all comes down to how they answered the questions at a shareholder meeting, not really performance. And I agree, they did give informative answers.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Who is that Naoki Mizutani guy that everybody seems to love? Google directs me to anime pages, but I cant dig deeper atm :p

lol Nintendo is and has been in the midst of their worst period in vg history with no clear plan on how to bail out of it(yet) and the approval rating at the top is hovering around 90%.

TheMoon

lol Nintendo is and has been in the midst of their worst period in vg history with no clear plan on how to bail out of it(yet) and the approval rating at the top is hovering around 90%.

I don't think you've been paying attention in the last year or so. ^^

I don't think you've been paying attention in the last year or so. ^^

Sure they've clawed their way out of deficit at least for now using add on figurines and by not dropping the price of floundering aging hardware, but are you really trying to say their ecosystem looks healthy or even potentially healthy?

You can't have success without popularity and we've seen nothing to indicate they are on the right track there. Not saying these guys can't turn it around, but if they do then give them the high marks not before. And we don't have a clear plan, at least not yet.

jts

...hate me...
Good. New management isn't some kind of magic pill that would fix anything. Usually the management shuffle is the last thing to happen just before a business goes belly up.

Now to execute that new plan, Iwata.

No clear plan?
Oh but they have a clear plan, and probably one that will forever make them them not being in any kind of doom position anymore (being basically like disney and using their franchises in lots of things that bring a lot of money).
Another different thing is that you dont like them or havent heard the news.

Sure they've clawed their way out of deficit at least for now using add on figurines and by not dropping the price of floundering aging hardware, but are you really trying to say their ecosystem looks healthy or even potentially healthy?

You can't have success without popularity and we've seen nothing to indicate they are on the right track there. Not saying these guys can't turn it around, but if they do then give them the high marks not before. And we don't have a clear plan, at least not yet.

If you think their plan is only figurines, you are totally off track.
Movies, theme parks, app games, expanding on to other media... What the hell have you been when this news was given?

DrWong

You can't have success without popularity and we've seen nothing to indicate they are on the right track there. Not saying these guys can't turn it around, but if they do then give them the high marks not before.

Delicious.

No clear plan?
Oh but they have a clear plan, and probably one that will forever make them them not being in any kind of doom position anymore (being basically like disney and using their franchises in lots of things that bring a lot of money).
Another different thing is that you dont like them or havent heard the news.

Cool, I would love to hear their plan on how to turn their core business, video games, around. I've been waiting for a while and I'm excited to hear it finally. Putting Mario in some films or tv or theme parks is not going to turn their business around.

PS I'm a big Nintendo fan, I've owned every piece of hardware they ever made and I will continue to do so because I love their games. My first game was Super Mario Bros., my favorite game is Ocarina of Time and my favorite game of this gen is Tropical Freeze. I've camped out for their hardware, buy multiple of their games every year, and yes I do own amiibos.

AzaK

To be expected with the move to mobile, amiibo etc. Be interesting to see how far they move away from their core competencies over the coming years.

I think the plan is pretty laid out. Iwata has spoken at length over the last year about where the company is heading. The only thing we don't know for sure is what the NX's form factor(s) will end up being.

mStudios

Cool, I would love to hear their plan on how to turn their core business, video games, around. I've been waiting for a while and I'm excited to hear it finally. Putting Mario in some films or tv or theme parks is not going to turn their business around.

PS I'm a big Nintendo fan, I've owned every piece of hardware they ever made and I will continue to do so because I love their games. My first game was Super Mario Bros., my favorite game is Ocarina of Time and my favorite game of this gen is Tropical Freeze.

Their new Videogame plan is NX. Wait until next year.

Welp, looks like Iwata and crew aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Well, I at least hope they learned their lesson with the Wii U and make NX a competent piece of hardware.

PS I'm a big Nintendo fan, I've owned every piece of hardware they ever made and I will continue to do so because I love their games. My first game was Super Mario Bros., my favorite game is Ocarina of Time and my favorite game of this gen is Tropical Freeze.

Theres no need for their core bussiness to be turn around. They will win LOTS of money with the expansion, that will then pour into making games, that can sell just as they sell now without any problem (but they will sell more because the other things will make nintendo characters popular again).
Thats what disney does. Do you really think making movies brings them the big bucks? No! The merchandising arounds those movies it what makes a huge company like disney saty afloat and still be in their core original bussiness of making movies.

If something surprises me is why they didnt make this expansion sooner.

And I really dont need that PS because I didnt think you hated or love the company, the only thing I see with your statements is that you havent heard or do not want to uderstand how their future plans, that exist, are going to help them in the future.
As I said first, is not the toy figures the only plan they have in mind.

ec0ec0

Nintendo does have "plans" but, as for now, all we have is a "promise". We haven't seen QoL, we haven't seen NX, we haven't seen their mobile games, etc...

I think the plan is pretty laid out. Iwata has spoken at length over the last year about where the company is heading. The only thing we don't know for sure is what the NX's form factor(s) will end up being.

We literally don't know anything about the NX other than it's hardware that shares the same architecture. Should be easy for cross platform development. That's is. That's all he's said about the business and what the success of the company is riding on. We have only a clue of what they are doing with it. Nothing is laid out for us.

Their new Videogame plan is NX. Wait until next year.

I know we are waiting for the NX announcement next year. That's my point. Can we see what they plan on doing for their core video game business before we praise them?

AniHawk

Nintendo does have "plans" but, as for now, all we have is a "promise". We haven't seen QoL, we haven't seen NX, we haven't seen their mobile games, etc...

out of those, only qol seems noticeably absent. nothing else doesn't seem to be crazy off-schedule yet. the new account system should coincide with the dena games. it would be bad news if it turned out to be vaporware.

out of those, only qol seems noticeably absent. nothing else doesn't seem to be crazy off-schedule yet. the new account system should coincide with the dena games. it would be bad news if it turned out to be vaporware.

QoL was always planned as a late 2015/early 2016 project. At least we have seen some of it, which is more than the NX.

The only real question for me is why they ever stopped being a media company in the late 90's to begin with... Nintendo was never shy about brand deals, cartoons, movies, comics, etc till right after the first pokemon boom...

Top Bottom