• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shareholder Meeting approval ratings are in: Iwata & Miyamoto's ratings up!

Theres no need for their core bussiness to be turn around. They will win LOTS of money with the expansion, that will then pour into making games, that can sell just as they sell now without any problem (but they will sell more because the other things will make nintendo characters popular again).
Thats what disney does. Do you really think making movies brings them the big bucks? No! The merchandising arounds those movies it what makes a huge company like disney saty afloat and still be in their core original bussiness of making movies.

If something surprises me is why they didnt make this expansion sooner.

And I really dont need that PS because I didnt think you hated or love the company, the only thing I see with your statements is that you havent heard or do not want to uderstand how their future plans, that exist, are going to help them in the future.
As I said first, is not the toy figures the only plan they have in mind.

They've promised things in areas other than gaming. Honestly who knows how it's going to work out. Their characters don't touch Disney's and they aren't a giant multimedia conglomerate like Disney to push them out in so many ways. They've done it before and I'm sure they made money but it's not like they can base their company off this. Their new marketing strategy is not going to single handedly cause wild success. They are not going to keep pushing those dollars into video games unless they are making the money on video games. The PS wasn't just for you but someone seemed to think I was being salty.

Nintendo does have "plans" but, as for now, all we have is a "promise". We haven't seen QoL, we haven't seen NX, we haven't seen their mobile games, etc...

This is my point.

Terrell

Genuine question: why should we care what shareholders think of executives at Nintendo?

Ask all the people who want Iwata fired.

Who is that Naoki Mizutani guy that everybody seems to love? Google directs me to anime pages, but I cant dig deeper atm :p

He is Nintendo's corporate auditor and fulfills part of Japan's new corporate governance requirement as 1 of 2 board members from outside the company.

Reggie is the one that need to be fired anyway.

Scott Moffitt. I will say it until my lips fall off. That man needs to be shown the door, can't market his way out of a paper bag.

AniHawk

QoL was always planned as a late 2015/early 2016 project. At least we have seen some of it, which is more than the NX.

all i know is that it's supposed to be some sleep thingy. was that from nintendo themselves? i feel like we pretty much know what nx is in a general sense.

TheMoon

Sure they've clawed their way out of deficit at least for now using add on figurines and by not dropping the price of floundering aging hardware, but are you really trying to say their ecosystem looks healthy or even potentially healthy?

You can't have success without popularity and we've seen nothing to indicate they are on the right track there. Not saying these guys can't turn it around, but if they do then give them the high marks not before. And we don't have a clear plan, at least not yet.

Now you're talking about something completely different. You said they have no clear plan on how to get out of this and that is completely untrue if you have paid any attention at all in the last couple of years.

1. QOL
  2. amiibo
  3. DeNA
  4. mobile
  5. NX
  6. N3DS
  7. restructured development groups
  8. integrated hardware teams
  9. theme park collabo (more licensing stuff)

out of those, only qol seems noticeably absent. nothing else doesn't seem to be crazy off-schedule yet. the new account system should coincide with the dena games. it would be bad news if it turned out to be vaporware.

QOL was always gonna launch in 2016 anyway and since it's not a video game hype machine thing, they can announce this whenever. I don't think it's particularly noteworthy that they've kept silent about it.

all i know is that it's supposed to be some sleep thingy. was that from nintendo themselves? i feel like we pretty much know what nx is in a general sense.

Yes it was. I think they even aquired a small company with expertise in this field, not sure about that.

Delicious.

Even if they hit their hardware forecast (and they have never hit them with 3DS) Nintendo is going to have their worst year since 1990 in terms of hw shipped. Their current small profitability has been achieved trough extreme cost cutting and doubling down on their hardcore audience. That is not going to work for long time when costs are only going up and their revenue down. Sure they might be able to spread themselves to mobile and other entertainment sectors (like disney) but that is easier said than done. There is nothing salty in that post.

Now you're talking about something completely different. You said they have no clear plan on how to get out of this and that is completely untrue if you have paid any attention at all in the last couple of years.

1. QOL
  2. amiibo
  3. DeNA
  4. mobile
  5. NX
  6. N3DS
  7. restructured development groups
  8. integrated hardware teams
  9. theme park collabo (more licensing stuff)

Of that list we know how 1 of them will work, and that is already out in amiibos. The rest are promises which may or may not even end up existing. We don't know about QoL except maybe something to do with sleep, DeNa and mobile are the same thing (how many games, what type of games, budget??? etc), we know NX exists that's about it, 3ds is not in their future, restructuring is good i guess?, hardware teams were restructured, more marketing which we know a few things about but it's not their core business and it is not going to save them. Point is lots of promises, no real sense of how it will actually be executed.

And in the mean time, they are still not selling video games and have not shown us how they are going to start selling them.

I know we are waiting for the NX announcement next year. That's my point. Can we see what they plan on doing for their core video game business before we praise them?

They hold a shareholders meeting every year. This one addressed their plans for the fiscal year ending 31-Mar-2016. This plan includes retail and downloadable releases for their current systems, 3DS and Wii U, as well as mobile games through their partnership with DeNA and expansion of the amiibo line. The shareholders have voted in approval of these plans.

Seriously, what's up with the concern?

W...T...F...??
Nintendo has been making bad decisions since Scott Moffit was promoted to vice president of marketing (2011). The Wii U is doing terrible and we are having big losses just for the fault of one guy and one guy only. Scott Moffit should be fired, he is responsable for the Wii U poor sales, for not making enough effort to help people understand that the Wii U is a hole new system. Please sign this if you are agree with the majority of the nintendo-nation.

Even when you ignore the typos and syntax problems, this guy is a nut.

Of that list we know how 1 of them will work, and that is already out in amiibos. The rest are promises which may or may not even end up existing. We don't know about QoL except maybe something to do with sleep, DeNa and mobile are the same thing (how many games, what type of games, budget??? etc), we know NX exists that's about it, 3ds is not in their future, restructuring is good i guess?, hardware teams were restructured, more marketing which we know a few things about but it's not their core business and it is not going to save them. Point is lots of promises, no real sense of how it will actually be executed.

And in the mean time, they are still not selling video games and have not shown us how they are going to start selling them.

It was an answer to your "they have no plan" comment. Well they obviously have a plan. Regarding your multiple question marks: 5 till next spring, whatever budget is needed, designed to fit onto mobile. No ports of existing games. New games, no IP limits. So we have a sense on how it's executed.

TheMoon

amiibo: are out
QoL: launches next year, is a device to help you improve your sleep tying in with "gamey" software stuff
mobile games: 5 games, first launching this fall, rest next year, headed up by Hideki Konno (MK series producer), designed FOR mobile, no ports, no exploitative BS
DeNA: handling backend analysis and services for their mobile games, cooperating on new membership loyalty service that launches this fall
NX: dedicated game platform, seems to be mainly a home console (Reggie repeatedly refers to it as that), will be announced next year
N3DS: I said N3DS not 3DS. it is their present, they launched new hardware, it was received well, you were asking about how they were gonna dig themselves out of their hole and that is one part of it.

"And in the mean time, they are still not selling video games and have not shown us how they are going to start selling them"
Splatoon just sold 1 million copies in its debut month. What. They are selling video games, making some of the best videogames they ever made. What do you want exactly?

Like Interceptor said, you were going on about them having no plan and I pointed out they do and what it looks like. Short of sitting in one of their executive meetings and seeing the actual detailed plan, that's as good as it's gonna get as far as knowing what they'll do.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
nintendo_puppets_1.0.gif

AniHawk

W...T...F...??

Even when you ignore the typos and syntax problems, this guy is a nut.

i think the most frightening thing for nintendo is that the nintendo-nation is only about ten people strong. their business cannot last on the backs of these ten people for too much longer.

AniHawk

Splatoon just sold 1 million copies in its debut month. What. They are selling video games, making some of the best videogames they ever made. What do you want exactly?

and it seems like fire emblem fates is on the verge of besting awakening - probably worldwide too once it launches in the us next year.

Jackano

I'm sure the investors care about the flops 'n shit :D

"yo Takeda-san, make more awesome gfx machines!" ^^

I'm sure of that too, but they should care about the hardware design of a product who doesn't get 3rd party partners in, who isn't balanced well enough to permit a price cut, etc..

TheMoon

I'm sure of that too, but they should care about the hardware design of a product who doesn't get 3rd party partners in, who isn't balanced well enough to permit a price cut, etc..

But that's a 2013 issue, not a 2015 issue. Plus it's not the hardware that puts third parties off, it's the poor reception of it which resulted in low sales and low install base.

Busaiku

and it seems like fire emblem fates is on the verge of besting awakening - probably worldwide too once it launches in the us next year.
I dunno, I think it's gonna be a decline due to its timing.
Lots of RPGs are coming out next year, with the possibility of a new Pokemon, and NX will also likely launch later in the year (Awakening had good legs).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
amiibo: are out
QoL: launches next year, is a device to help you improve your sleep tying in with "gamey" software stuff
mobile games: 5 games, first launching this fall, rest next year, headed up by Hideki Konno (MK series producer), designed FOR mobile, no ports, no exploitative BS
DeNA: handling backend analysis and services for their mobile games, cooperating on new membership loyalty service that launches this fall
NX: dedicated game platform, seems to be mainly a home console (Reggie repeatedly refers to it as that), will be announced next year
N3DS: I said N3DS not 3DS. it is their present, they launched new hardware, it was received well, you were asking about how they were gonna dig themselves out of their hole and that is one part of it.

Like Interceptor said, you were going on about them having no plan and I pointed out they do and what it looks like. Short of sitting in one of their executive meetings and seeing the actual detailed plan, that's as good as it's gonna get as far as knowing what they'll do.

Guys, NX is going to be a handheld. Or better, the first iteration of the brand new concept will be the handheld. The schedule fits: around 6 years after 3DS, and we know there's already the handheld's targeted resolution. Don't take Reggie's words as the gospel. Heck, Iwata himself stated it won't be a "simple replacement" to 3DS or Wii U. He reffered to both, not just Wii U (if it were a mere home console, he would've referred just Wii U). Take Iwata's words are much more reliable.

Harmen

Makes sense to me. Mobile coming, NX coming and QoL is on the way. And development has obviously been shifted towards those.

The way they now handle the comercially unsuccesful and weakly supported (third party) WiiU is smart too (business wise). Getting the most money out of the core fans (Amiibo's and attractive DLC's) and not wasting resources in trying to get mass appeal anymore. The lack of software competition on the platform also helps them to push the focus to titles like Splatoon even more, making those a great succes even.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also consider that perhaps the shareholders have seen savings in their electricity bills thanks to the Wii U's low consumption philosophy.

TheMoon

Guys, NX is going to be a handheld. Or better, the first iteration of the brand new concept will be the handheld. The schedule fits: around 6 years after 3DS, and we know there's already the handheld's targeted resolution. Don't take Reggie's words as the gospel. Heck, Iwata himself stated it won't be a "simple replacement" to 3DS or Wii U. He reffered to both, not just Wii U (if it were a mere home console, he would've referred just Wii U). Take Iwata's words are much more reliable.

Sure, I agree generally but what trips me up is that Reggie keeps talking about home consoles specifically when referring to NX in multiple interviews. Either he hasn't been properly briefed or I don't know. But of course, yes, the "replacement" thing is a bit more complex.

TI82

Banned
I really don't see how either of them are doing anything good to inspire confidence in the business.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Sure, I agree generally but what trips me up is that Reggie keeps talking about home consoles specifically when referring to NX in multiple interviews. Either he hasn't been properly briefed or I don't know. But of course, yes, the "replacement" thing is a bit more complex.

Well, if you read carefully his recent interviews, you'll see that, to specific questions, he gives the exact same answers, with just a few changes here and there. Pr spin at its best.

Ansatz

Makes sense to me. Mobile coming, NX coming and QoL is on the way. And development has obviously been shifted towards those.

The way they now handle the comercially unsuccesful and weakly supported (third party) WiiU is smart too (business wise). Getting the most money out of the core fans (Amiibo's and attractive DLC's) and not wasting resources in trying to get mass appeal anymore. The lack of software competition on the platform also helps them to push the focus to titles like Splatoon even more, making those a great succes even.

Yep I hope NX is mainly about core fans while their other initiatives like mobile and QoL target the mass market, like you said I spend alot more on a single title now due to purchasing the associated amiibos and DLC.

I love how Wii U established two new series that could very well be mainstays in Hyrule Warriors and Splatoon. They could also differentiate between sidescrolling Mario and Mario Maker, so that's technically 3 unless it flops unexpectedly. We have alot more to look forward to than just Kart / Smash and the usual suspects.

Taker666

Iwata the only one in the 80s. If things go south looks like he is fired first. Welp.

The leader will always take the majority of the negativity. Most shareholders likely don't have much of a clue what any of the others do. The less well known, the higher the approval.

-MB-

Nintendo does have "plans" but, as for now, all we have is a "promise". We haven't seen QoL, we haven't seen NX, we haven't seen their mobile games, etc...

This E3 some other company won hearts based on promises, so I don't see the issue here.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Hahaha, this is so funny considering all the hate Iwata gets from the armchair analysts here at neogaf! Time to face that while he did some stupid things (namely the price and complexity of the Wii U), he was also responsible for two of the best plattforms in their history, namely DS and Wii, and has taken Nintendo back to the "lateral thinking with withered technology"-thinking that made it big with the original Game Boy. And while the specs-people might hate that - this is the only sustainable way forward for them imo.

phanphare

Banned
nice

I do think Iwata is the right man for the job and I think we'll see that in the next two years. he's basically had to sit on his hands for two years because of the Wii U situation. curious to see where they go next.

Miyamoto is doing what he needs to do already which is take a step back and just focus on whatever games he's working on

DrWong

Even if they hit their hardware forecast (and they have never hit them with 3DS) Nintendo is going to have their worst year since 1990 in terms of hw shipped. Their current small profitability has been achieved trough extreme cost cutting and doubling down on their hardcore audience. That is not going to work for long time when costs are only going up and their revenue down. Sure they might be able to spread themselves to mobile and other entertainment sectors (like disney) but that is easier said than done. There is nothing salty in that post.

The post is fun because it's like there is no gaming industry debating all the strategical decisions Nintendo made these past 2 years. See all the responses to the concern of the guy you quoted. The rest of this debate is indeed full of salt.

Vire

Investors being happy isn't necessarily great news for the gamers. Most of the reasons for the high approval rating are for all non-core experience related cash-ins (theme parks, amiibos, QOL, mobile gaming)...

Yay?

Hahaha. I dont even know why Takeda is so high. This guy might be a great engineer, he lives in a bubble and is completely disconnected to what drives this market.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I love Nintendo and think highly of most of its management, but these approval ratings are ridiculous.

Hahaha. I dont even know why Takeda is so high. This guy might be a great engineer, he lives in a bubble and is completely disconnected to what drives this market.

Where is all the hate for Takeda coming from? Is it just because of the Wii U's CPU?

Hahaha, this is so funny considering all the hate Iwata gets from the armchair analysts here at neogaf! Time to face that while he did some stupid things (namely the price and complexity of the Wii U), he was also responsible for two of the best plattforms in their history, namely DS and Wii, and has taken Nintendo back to the "lateral thinking with withered technology"-thinking that made it big with the original Game Boy. And while the specs-people might hate that - this is the only sustainable way forward for them imo.

The thing is, Nintendo hardware team lives in a bubble. Its not like you have only powerful or weak hardware. There's something in the middle but it is totally unknown to Nintendo.

Top Bottom