• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Down After E3 Direct

iconmaster

Banned
I wasn't disappointed myself, but Wall Street is probably right on this one. If the next big game doesn't hit till December, sales are likely to slow.

From now to Winter is pretty barren for the Switch. I don’t understand why we don’t have a Mario Maker dropping August like for the Switch. What’s with that game not being ported over??

Zannegan

There's no reason they couldn't put out smaller games and enhanced ports to help fill in the gaps. They should have enough studios and development partners to keep the Switch stocked with a new game (large or small) every month. I think a few key delays (FE) and cancellations (Retro's other project, if that rumor is true) have really hurt them this year.

If I'm wrong and they really don't have the development capabilities to do that, then they need to start acquiring studios until they hit that threshold when their stock recovers.

From now to Winter is pretty barren for the Switch. I don’t understand why we don’t have a Mario Maker dropping August like for the Switch. What’s with that game not being ported over??

Does it really matter? Wii/Wii U owners are still mass migrating over to Switch and Nintendo can't make enough of them. For most it's enough that it has BOTW & Mario.

OH-MyCar

I know "Monday morning quarterback" and all, but it just seems so easy to please when they know they don't have anything to show. People want them to succeed. They could've given the same show and directed a little bit of marketing money into giving everyone, say, a free download of ALTTP. That's cheap. That requires next to no effort and it keeps a lot of people on the hook for what's in the pipeline. Even if they have no plans for VC on Switch, they've already taken an enormous amount of heat off of themselves with a nice misdirection.

Instead, they had to remind us that when things look really great and they're ahead? Nintendo's always gonna Nintendo.

JFak.gif

Edit: To clarify I don't think Nintendo's doomed at all. I think Nintendo is extremely adept at making money and this is part of the pattern of their success (see: Wii Music). This is the Nintendo we always see at the top, not the bottom. I only question its long-term sustainability. I read someone here say that their plan is to push hardware and damn the consequences, and I think that really nails it. It's a cycle built on our fish-like capacity to remember.

Last edited:

Michele

you.
:rolleyes:Whatever happens, it doesn't matter.
Nintendo still has surprises lined up after E3. Let them lose just once in a while.

Raynes

That presentation was shit. Good, them and Square Enix get some delicious negative reinforcement for the dumb shit they pulled.

Last edited:

Fbh

So good time to buy their stock?
It will go up again, I don't think the more casual markets has much of an issue with this year and it's going to sell like crazy when Pokemon Let's go comes out and then again when Smash does.

2018 has been a really crappy year for Nintendo IMO and the only exclusive coming to Switch in the entire year that has me hyped is Octopath Traveler which isn't even a Nintendo game. But in terms of consoles sales and mass appeal I think Pokemon and Smash is all you need.

Codes 208

This generally happens during reveals. It typically skyrockets back up afterwards.

Not to say they arent without fault, nintendo is easily the third to last (square was a snoozefest and ea was shit alround. Nintendo atleast had pokemon and smash bros and confirmed leaks like fighterz and fortnite)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Does it really matter? Wii/Wii U owners are still mass migrating over to Switch and Nintendo can't make enough of them. For most it's enough that it has BOTW & Mario.
The Switch stock has been solid for a while now. It’s available everywhere and most places have plenty in stock

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There's no reason they couldn't put out smaller games and enhanced ports to help fill in the gaps. They should have enough studios and development partners to keep the Switch stocked with a new game (large or small) every month. I think a few key delays (FE) and cancellations (Retro's other project, if that rumor is true) have really hurt them this year.

If I'm wrong and they really don't have the development capabilities to do that, then they need to start acquiring studios until they hit that threshold when their stock recovers.
This has always been my primary argument in favor of remasters in that they are excellent as a means to fill in the gap in a slow era. Nintendo had an incredible library that would get people excited.

Put the Metroid Prime trilogy on Switch and I’m there Day 1.

The consensus here is that shares will go back up pretty quickly and i agree. You cant keep Nintendo down. And as soon as they announce an animal crossing for switch game shares will quadruple 😎

Here comes the quarterly Nintendo is doomed speculation.

Nintendo is of course very far from being doomed, but this was a seriously shit E3 showing, probably their worst of all time. After such a successful launch for the Switch, it's not ideal to see them being unable to provide nearly enough games this soon. Everyone knows they have stuff coming, but there's no excuse to not show basically any of it.

Jezan

But Nintendo was telling us that it wouldn't be the same situation as the Wii U. And yet, here we are!

Also that happens when to shut up the fans you show a title screen an intern made 15 minutes before E3 when you don't even have a team ready to work on the game. That's why they made Ridley reveal so those fans couldn't complain. :confused:

Zannegan

Nintendo is of course very far from being doomed, but this was a seriously shit E3 showing, probably their worst of all time. After such a successful launch for the Switch, it's not ideal to see them being unable to provide nearly enough games this soon. Everyone knows they have stuff coming, but there's no excuse to not show basically any of it.

Woah, woah, woah. This year was thin, but it doesn't even come close to E3 2008.

I saw this garbage live, and while the video does a decent job of telling you just how lame the conference itself was, what Arlo doesn't mention is that hardcore fans were expecting the announcement of a new, gritty Kid Icarus from Factor 5. The idea sounds ridiculous in retrospect (especially after how awesome the lighthearted Uprising was), but at the time it sounded like a sweet reboot from a technically competent director.

I still remember the exact moment during that presentation I thought KI would show. There was a swirl of smoke, the auditorium darkened, and then... ...Ravi drums.

Expectations to reality, no E3 has disappointed harder. Honestly, I don't think an E3 could disappoint harder. It's kind of put gaming trade show disasters in perspective for me. Lol.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.

You are a smart consumer, looking at the whole catalogue. Most people are not that smart.

Nintendo can't afford to lose the momentum. The second you drop it, becomes incredibly hard to get back up, and continue the momentum.

Just look at what happened to the WiiU and Gamecube. Price cuts, new powerful games, huge marketing campaigns. None of it worked. The way you do it is, you get the ball running, and the momentum needs to keep going. You can't drop the ball halfway. It's a very tough business..

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
There are already 50,000 retail and digital games available on Nintendo Switch. We'll be fine. Smash Brothers and Pokemon will be major hits, and Labo has the potential to become a major success, but it's one of those things that requires a slow buildup as families discover its qualities.

Nintendo has always been very cautious about their own release schedule, usually only releasing 4-5 titles per calendar year. The trick is to make at least one or two of those games into major hits. The catch is that you can almost never guess where that next breakout success will arise.

Personally, I'd just get a couple joysticks and play Third Strike and Alpha 3 to death while waiting for Minecraft. This would be a good time for Sega to bring back Fighters Megamix, cough, ahem.

J4K

It is kind of a little shocking that we're not getting more delivered on time.

In theory, the main benefit of consolidating Nintendo software teams onto one platform was that the droughts were supposed to be gone. All of Nintendo's studios firing on all cylinders to put games onto one system.

Somehow we're still getting lulls. In theory this may well mean that our 2019 and onwards will be breathtaking, but in the short term it's a bit of a head scratcher. It makes you wonder what Nintendo's studios were doing in late 2016 and through 2017.

I saw this garbage live, and while the video does a decent job of telling you just how lame the conference itself was, what Arlo doesn't mention is that hardcore fans were expecting the announcement of a new, gritty Kid Icarus from Factor 5. The idea sounds ridiculous in retrospect (especially after how awesome the lighthearted Uprising was), but at the time it sounded like a sweet reboot from a technically competent director.

I still remember the exact moment during that presentation I thought KI would show. There was a swirl of smoke, the auditorium darkened, and then... ...Ravi drums.

Oh that game. Factor-5 talked about it before the project was even greenlit or approved by Nintendo. It wasn't a wise decision. At all. It conflicted with their own plans for Brawl (Pit's comeback) and Uprising (started development on Wii) especially the art direction. Not to mention Nintendo hates leaks more than anything.

It's like the time when the fans who made Chrono Ressurrection brought it to E3 to shop it around to interested publishers.
Sometimes ballsy moves pay out, but it all depends on the execution or like in here the franchise owner will be thinking more about how to protect its trademarks from YOU rather than starting a business relationship of mutual trust.

Zannegan

Oh that game. Factor-5 talked about it before the project was even greenlit or approved by Nintendo. It wasn't a wise decision. At all. It conflicted with their own plans for Brawl (Pit's comeback) and Uprising (started development on Wii) especially the art direction. Not to mention Nintendo hates leaks more than anything.

It's like the time when the fans who made Chrono Ressurrection brought it to E3 to shop it around to interested publishers.
Sometimes ballsy moves pay out, but it all depends on the execution or like in here the franchise owner will be thinking more about how to protect its trademarks from YOU rather than starting a business relationship of mutual trust.

Watching the video, how they decided to just ignore the model Nintendo gave them to show of Dude Icarus #1 and #2 exclusively seems like such a mistake. Like, what were they thinking?

iconmaster

Banned
Also that happens when to shut up the fans you show a title screen an intern made 15 minutes before E3 when you don't even have a team ready to work on the game.

They also released one of the best Metroid games of all time, but sure.

Smasher89

So good time to buy their stock?
I bet on it, their online service will indeed be terrible, but also bring in the money, put some myself in funds that partly gets nintendo stocks partly because the online double, triple or quadpaywall.

KRyPT

Neo Member
As someone who cares very little about Smash Bros, I found this “conference” highly disappointing

I already heard, that my friends started doubting of getting the Switch because of the E3 direct.

Which makes me frustrated, as the Switch would be the BEST console for me because of the local multiplayer with own screens for each player AND motion controllers, but without friends(and games) it’s just depressing.

I even lost mood for getting the otherwise perfectly jolly nice games, that they showed in the beginning of the video.

You got to set the mood right in your marketing. Show some versatility in your portfolio luring all kinds of gamers that happily do the marketing for you, and then you can keep spamming cute platformers left and right.

Even though the GameCube and Wii didn’t have much of a AAA-game rush, I was perfectly happy for knowing, that there are all kinds of games coming, funny party games and exciting adventures. Now they are telling, that there are no exciting adventures in sight (if you don’t have the hots for j-rpgs that is). Happy customers buy games, depressed customer might skip even Mario Party.

I think they made the same mistake with the Wii U, when they leaned too heavily into looking sales charts while deciding game projects, which lead into rather one sided portfolio in the the beginning(as well as the end half of the Wii era). Even when the NSMB and the Donkey Kong were super strong series, and their predecessors sold amazing amounts, they were not games, that lured people to buy the console.

But then again.

All the games from other companies shows, that made me excited, are not coming this year or don’t even have rough schedule, and we probably see them in several E3 shows in coming years.

And I know, that the Metroid is coming, so does it make much of a concrete difference, when they didn’t show it. It just kills the mood.

Last edited:

It matters to me, BOTW and Mario Oddessey aren’t that great and fun. I’d rather have a traditional Mario game than the 64/Galaxy/Oddessey stuff. I like my Switch, I’d just like a reason to play it more

Top Bottom