• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Shares Drop 5% Following Pre-TGS Announcements, Analysts Comment

"Think: More Farmville, less Mario."

Ha ha ha, the same ol' shit. Sonic is so rad. The Game Gear will bury the Game Boy. Mortal Kombat doesn't have blood on the SNES. Get with the times, Nintendo.

stufte

I honestly hope Nintendo goes the direction Sega did. I'd love to see them focus on games and games ONLY. Mario or Zelda on a next gen Xbox or Playstation would be amazing. Screw the gimmicks.

krypt0nian said:
Everyone was giddy with all the Grandma loves Wii mainstream articles.

But now the press has turned and the dark cloud seems hard to shake. Mainstream media is like that. Build them up to tear them down.

Yea look what happened to Sony and the PS3.

Yuripaw said:
As an android owner, I just wanna say...fuck iOS. But also fuck that noise about Nintendo ever developing for an iOS or any phone device. No way in hell would I want any of their games to be exclusively touch based controls like that. My phone is fine for a game like plants vs zombies or angry birds. Do I want to play Mario on it? HELL NO

If we're talking games, I'd be mad with an android phone too.

Why is it that all of these articles are coming out AFTER the games were shown? I'd understand if there were no new games announced, but we have games that normally sell in the millions easily coming out in the holidays. It's fucking annoying honestly.

mAcOdIn

Angelcurio said:
I think that this is a huge part of the problem. I dont't think that shareholders were actually expecting Nintendo to release games on the iphones or the likes, i think the problem is more in line with Nintendo not announcing the type of games that made both the DS and the Wii casual games platforms. While i personally don't enjoy those types of games, it's a fact that games like Nintendogs, Trauma Center, Brain Training and the like were games that actually atracted new people into gaming, and were enjoyed by a much bigger crowd than the clasic hardcore or core gamers.
Right. Analysts and investors have guessed, seemingly correctly going by Nintendo's own information, that Nintendo has all but given up on the casual market, therefore there's no reason to assume that Nintendo will get any of the casual market meaning that it is 100% certain that Nintendo will sell less systems and software on all fronts this generation. It's not like they're wrong with that analysis, it's probably 100% true.

And I think the bigger issue is that Nintendo is flat out ignoring it, they're not merely trying to attract them and failing, they're not even fucking trying. Not even a token effort. It's the same shit with the hardcore IMO, when they bring up the Wii-U I can't help but look at the 3DS, the online is still shit, they fixed none of the problem except multiple friend codes. There's no reason to believe that Nintendo is actually trying to even get it together, it's like they feel that them just going out there with their same titles just newer is all it'll take to get the hardcore back. Nope. if they had come out with more attempts to get the core they lost and to continue to appeal to the Nintendo fan and the normal hardcore I think the investors and analysts would have liked the conference more.

I honestly would be happy if Nintendo just went second or third party, they make great games but I'm not certain there will really be a place for them in the long term. I'm almost certain that unless one of the HD players decides to bow out that Nintendo will always be last in the living room and I think their handheld share will continue to shrink. I don't believe they will ever go like Sega financially so I do think they could decide to remain third as long as they want, they're not financially inept like Sega and live within their means just fine but I think it'd be really sad if they were an irrelevant third place.

GeekyDad said:
You really think the holiday-season performance is an accurate barometer for the health of the 3DS for a company like Nintendo? Professed Nintendo fan here, but it's how they do during the lean times that best reflects their overall health as a company. The Sega comparison seems way inaccurate, as they were never as big as Nintendo have been in the past five years. But shares dropping off by 50 percent. You only need to look at Wall Street in 2008 to see how even a mammoth company can be reduced to rubble over night.

No doom, but there's definitely cause for gloom right now. All I can say is, it's time for Nintendo to roll up its sleeves and start paddling. Shit's gettin' real.
At best the 3DS launch has been typical, at worst it has been below average. Either way the thing is still selling and the game lineup is growing to the point where it would be crazy to ignore it.

The only reason people are freaking out so much right now is because they're jumping on the iBandwagon.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Diffense said:
So we see Nintendo digging in and fighting for the red ocean which makes Neogaf happy.
However, investors who observed the growth during the DS/Wii eras see something different.

But the analysts are asking them to jump into unfamiliar red ocean territory. That seems a little silly, no?

StickSoldier said:
Why is it that all of these articles are coming out AFTER the games were shown? I'd understand if there were no new games announced, but we have games that normally sell in the millions easily coming out in the holidays. It's fucking annoying honestly.

They only have like six million sellers for Japan this Holiday season, needed twelve.

kaskade

I wouldn't mind is sony just developed games. I'd be much happier if skyward sword was coming out on the 360 or PS3. I'm contemplating not even getting it since I don't want to hook up my Wii.

Infinite Justice said:
Yea look what happened to Sony and the PS3.

Exactly. They couldn't catch a break years where they did well as far as AAA releases.

Mainstream press has found a new whipping post.

popeutlal

That's true for me, I still don't have the desire to buy the 3DS...even after looking at all the new games shown yesterday.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Shin Johnpv said:
Isabel Reynolds really has no touch with reality, or with the mass market that's out there. Like most reporters today, the insane obsession with everything needing to be ios, or similar to something apple is doing has reached pure annoyance level. Maybe different people want different things. Shocking I know.

The cargo cult of iOS is becoming downright eye-gouging.

onQ123

cookie-monster-wtf-is-this.jpg

edit: how did I end up in this thread?

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah, GAF's going to have a field day with this stuff, but I, for one, will probably never buy a dedicated console again from Nintendo unless something drastically changes.

LeleSocho said:
yeah good luck with your AngryBirds-quality game and good luck finding something like Shenmue/ZeldaOOT/Ico on your phone

See, here's the problem. I have no interest in playing "Shenmue/ZeldaOOT/Ico" on my phone. To me, and I suspect for most people, mobile games are 10 minutes diversions that I play while I'm waiting in line, or sitting on the subway, etc. I don't want to play a 30 hour game on my phone. If I want to play a real game I want to be in front of my PC or my big screen TV.

The irony is that what's happening to Nintendo in the handheld market is exactly what the Wii was to Microsoft/Sony on the console market.

dream

Penguin said:
The thing that confuses me about both articles, is why do they keep on hinting at wanting Nintendo to do free or cheap games.

Wouldn't that REALLY kill their profit margins?

Or is it just confidence that they would sell enough copies at 2-3 bucks to offset the potential loss?
Couldn't they do both? Catalog titles at x dollars, new releases at y dollars?

Ellis Kim

Banned
Nintendo's problem, if I'm interpreting this horribly thought-out perception/attitude/article correctly, is that they aren't taking advantage of new avenues of social gaming and exploiting their key franchises as much as they potentially could, e.g. Animal Crossing w/ microtransactions on Facebook.

Jin34

krypt0nian said:

But now the press has turned and the dark cloud seems hard to shake. Mainstream media is like that. Build them up to tear them down.

They need to be sacrificed for harvest.

Orayn

Let's just pull the trigger on an official thread.

"Nintendo Hate |OT| of making fun of stupid games for babies"

I'm not trying to troll and I'm not even completely comfortable with this myself (I barely lurk the gaming side and see much of the sentiment in this thread repeated), but there seems to be a lot of denial from hardcore gamers about how disruptive iOS has been for the old model.

This has nothing to do specifically with Angry Birds or Farmville—it's about expensive and limited dedicated devices that empower the hardware manufacturer more than either consumer or developers. Android / iOS expose traditional handhelds and consoles as a horrible value for both developers and consumers. Once they match the gameplay experience (and they will eventually), there's no reason for dedicated game devices.

Everyone has or will be buying a phone every few years. Anyone can download SDKs and make free or commercial games without any licensing fees for both major platforms and minimal guidelines to follow even with iOS. The only downside currently is GPU performance (which isn't bad on iOS devices, and will improve on all going forward) and controls (which again should only improve). It's just hard to imagine the traditional handheld being around much longer, even with cool gimmicks and powerhouse franchises keeping them in the headlines for now.

StevieP

Banned
Embrace the future, everyone:
a5151c0ed2010580.jpg.jpg

Edit:
Mammoth Jones said:
This is what happens when Nintendo focuses almost exclusively on casual gamers for so long. Sure, there were some core games but the majority of their focus was the casual market.
You reap what you sow.

Do some people actually believe this? I mean, really? Read this post

Shin Johnpv said:
I count at most 11/12 of the so called "not targetted at experienced or enthusiast gamers." games, out of a total output of 65 games. I would not describe 1/6th of anything as a large amount.

This is what happens when Nintendo focuses almost exclusively on casual gamers for so long. Sure, there were some core games but the majority of their focus was the casual market. Now, the casual market has shifted to iOS/Android. Now Nintendo is trying to refocus on regaining the core gamers they've been ignoring for a while.

You reap what you sow.

With that said, I fully support Nintendo in their attempt to fix the situation and has shown that support by putting my money where my mouth is by purchasing a 3DS and some games despite the fact that I've been gaming on my iPhone for the past 3 years.

muu

Blizzard said:
I don't know if it's accurate or not, but according to the other thread the stock price dropped because people knew there would be news (sell on news, buy on rumors), BEFORE the conference itself happened.

I have never bought stock in any company, but stuff like this makes me almost want to buy a bit of Nintendo stock just to see what the price is in January-February 2012.

Wouldn't bother. No one on the financial side cares about how many titles Nintendo's got under their belt, and there isn't any way their revenues are going to make a miraculous comeback on the first 3DS holiday.

Hell, would not bother with most stocks at all, period -- no matter how much research you do, you're at the mercy of those with much more money than you do that can control the prices at will. I've learned to stick to stable dividend stocks -- better to get a constant 5% out of it.

Calcaneus

krypt0nian said:

I think it really becomes a problem when you have companies like Microsoft and Sony spending millions of dollars and completely changing the focus of their consoles to keep up with these trends, and by the time they come out the next big thing is already here.

Huff

Banned
God these articles are terrible. Not that I think Nintendo is doing a great job with the 3DS outside of Japan, but still they are fucking fine.

Top Bottom