• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: some findings about the web eShop

It has been taking them a long time to provide this, but I would rather they get it right and security is good.

please work on offering pre-loads like PSN, that thing has spoiled me.

Download a game 2 days before release would really help that eShop rush.

my next 3 downloads Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Smash U, Toadette's Pigtail Journey

If the desktop eShop becomes a thing, does that mean that our digital purchases would be finally be tied to an account rather than the consoles themselves?
I would like to think they also add the remote deactivation here (so you don't have to call up Nintendo about it*) but I can imagine it having a caveat of must have formatted the system or just not being there for no reason.

*-Plus in you're in Europe have to bombard with them evidence for them to do their fucking job...

69wpm

I've been looking at the source code and found a few icons:

External:
9IWCyb1.png

Drop-down:
BJbCQhv.png

Is checked:
9F3gmD1.png

Nintendo Network:
Pi4wH9Z.png

Wii U:
nvKkKpD.png

3DS:
5fRqxgB.png

Sadly nothing interesting.

External:
9IWCyb1.png

Drop-down:
BJbCQhv.png

Is checked:
9F3gmD1.png

Nintendo Network:
Pi4wH9Z.png

Wii U:
nvKkKpD.png

3DS:
5fRqxgB.png

Yeah, saw those too. Was really hoping for more (which there's gotta be, just nothing referenced in the CSS/JS/HTML). Been trying to guess at URLs based off of other Nintendo sites, but I couldn't find anything.

They are already tied to the account.
The problem is that the account itself is instead tied to the console.

But it's already like that.

It's not your purchases that's tied to your consoles... it's the account itself. 'Well, big deal!' you might say (and you'd be right... half-right), but it's a first step.

At least, thinkgs are changing!

all purchases since the inclusion of the NNID are tied to the NNID itself, just the NNID is which is tied to the console tho

edit: lol beaten

Your purchases are already tied to your account.

It's just that the account is tied to the console is the issue.

So the issue is that I can't sign in my current NNID account to another Nintendo system and get to redownload my games? Strange that Nintendo won't let you do that. How do the other console makers handle this? I only had a gaming PC and Ninty systems for my gaming fixes.

Buying from the Web is a huge to me, if I can buy all my WiiU and 3DS games from one place and it automatically downloads it on the system without physicals having the system with me , that's what I hope for.

L~A

External:
9IWCyb1.png

Drop-down:
BJbCQhv.png

Is checked:
9F3gmD1.png

Nintendo Network:
Pi4wH9Z.png

Wii U:
nvKkKpD.png

3DS:
5fRqxgB.png

Ah, thanks a bunch, adding that to the OP.

I wonder if they're gonna unify the eShop on 3DS / Wii U, or if it'll remain separated like it is right now.

About the maintenance that someone mentionned, it's online play, not the eShop. Not quite sure what's going on, but I'm growing exceedingly anxious about the Christmas load : /

RiggyRob

Well, this should be interesting:

Sadly, like a big dummy, I forgot to comb the first page for anything interesting.

Edit: Oops, originally had the same image twice. Second one replaced with the proper image.

'Download will begin automatically' - would that suggest it can download it via the stand-by update that the Wii U can do in sleep mode? If so that'd be very cool.

L~A

Sadly, like a big dummy, I forgot to comb the first page for anything interesting.

Edit: Oops, originally had the same image twice. Second one replaced with the proper image.

Wow, nice find! Added to the OP.

Can you tell us if it's actually downloading anything?

'Download will being automatically' - would that suggest it can download it via the stand-by update that the Wii U can do in sleep mode? If so that'd be very cool.

They already said that last year (I believe it was Dan Alderman who confirmed it?).

Download didn't begin automatically while in standby (though admittedly I didn't wait very long) nor did it begin after powering on my console. It is indeed marked as purchased in the eShop though, and is listed in my download history. I won't download it manually just yet though. Pretty sure auto-downloading isn't implemented yet, but I'll give it a little longer to be sure.

So the issue is that I can't sign in my current NNID account to another Nintendo system and get to redownload my games? Strange that Nintendo won't let you do that. How do the other console makers handle this? I only had a gaming PC and Ninty systems for my gaming fixes.
Other systems have a limit on active devices (for PSN you can have an account active on 3 handhelds and some consoles). It is is just Nintendo is especially strict with 1 Wii U and 1 3DS here.

I think Xbox is one primary system but if you log into a non primary system you have all your content...as long as you stay online (so I guess it would be like a Steam account with no offline mode). The primary system will still be fine offline.

I think Nintendo are rather cagey after looking at how PSN was devastated by the game sharing and the crazy limit of 5 active PS3 systems (I think subsequently got rolled all the way down to 2).

Download didn't begin automatically while in standby (though admittedly I didn't wait very long) nor did it begin after powering on my console. It is indeed marked as purchased in the eShop though, and is listed in my download history. I won't download it manually just yet though. Pretty sure auto-downloading isn't implemented yet, but I'll give it a little longer to be sure.
I'd expect it to require a firmware update. Unless the folders update added this.

L~A

Maybe not for games, but that's strange, since updates (games and system) are downloaded automatically.

My guess is that purchasing a game via the web eShop adds the game to a "to download list", to which system updates and game updates are added automatically. Maybe that's not supported yet, but that'd be something to fix server-wise.

And it makes sense that it'd be added to your account, since the website connects to it, so we know that part is working at the very least.

Anyway, thanks for your contribution!

You may just have been the first person outside Nintendo to redeem a code on that page :p

And it makes sense that it'd be added to your account, since the website connects to it, so we know that part is working at the very least.

Anyway, thanks for your contribution!

Yeah, I figured it would be added properly, but I suspected there could still be a very small chance some system somewhere was incomplete and it would get caught in some limbo. :p

But yeah, of course. Just bummed I derped out and confirmed it instantly - I know the URL for that broken Kirby icon could have gotten us somewhere at least vaguely interesting. Guess that's up to the next person to try. :p

You may just have been the first person outside Nintendo to redeem a code on that page :p

Heh, that thought crossed my mind. :p

Sorry for the double post, but I figured it was worth a quick bump:

Automatic downloading does indeed work, looks like I just needed to give it a little more time. After powering on my console again Kirby was fully downloaded/installed.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Automatic downloading does indeed work, looks like I just needed to give it a little more time. After powering on my console again Kirby was fully downloaded/installed.

It's happening, omg

3bdelilah

Banned
It's still morning here so my brains still need some time waking up, but what are you implying OP? That we could buy games outside of our Wii U and just find them downloaded and installed when we get home? Because that would be pretty sweet

L~A

^

That's exactly that. Web eShop allowing you to buy stuff from any web browser, and start downloads automatically ;)

Ooooh, now we're talking.

Well, I guess the web eShop will be launch much earlier than I thought.

Xanonano

But it's already like that.

It's not your purchases that's tied to your consoles... it's the account itself. 'Well, big deal!' you might say (and you'd be right... half-right), but it's a first step.

At least, thinkgs are changing!

all purchases since the inclusion of the NNID are tied to the NNID itself, just the NNID is which is tied to the console tho

edit: lol beaten

Your purchases are already tied to your account.

It's just that the account is tied to the console is the issue.

They already are

They are already tied to the account.
The problem is that the account itself is instead tied to the console.
Why do so many people keep repeating this pointless semantic argument? It's not like it makes any difference to the fact you can't move your purchases to another console. The fact that you have to qualify your 'correction' with '...but the account is still tied to the console' should be enough to make you realise that they're not actually wrong. If you wanted to get really pedantic, games on the Wii were tied to an account too, so really the only thing that has changed on the Wii U is that you need a username and password to access them.

Cuburt

Pretty cool. More excited about the possibilities this opens up rather the ability to access the eshop on my PC tho.

RiggyRob

It's still morning here so my brains still need some time waking up, but what are you implying OP? That we could buy games outside of our Wii U and just find them downloaded and installed when we get home? Because that would be pretty sweet

It would be very cool, can the X1 and PS4 even do that?

It's happening.jif !
I hope a direct is on the horizon.

L~A

Why do so many people keep repeating this pointless semantic argument? It's not like it makes any difference to the fact you can't move your purchases to another console. The fact that you have to qualify your 'correction' with '...but the account is still tied to the console' should be enough to make you realise that they're not actually wrong. If you wanted to get really pedantic, games on the Wii were tied to an account too, so really the only thing that has changed on the Wii U is that you need a username and password to access them.

No, it's far from being the only thing that's changed.

Your Wii "account" could only be accessed by Nintendo themselves. You could do absolutely nothign with it. It's basically a list of games to be used by Nintendo, so that they could give your games back in case you encountered a problem with your Wii (hardware-wise).

Your NNID (which includes the list of all purchases you've made), on the other, can be used on several websites and services, like the Mario TV web app, Miiverse, or the Nintendo Network Premium. Only restriction is that it can't be used on two consoles of the same family unless de-linked.

Anyway, I'm wondering about that download code button... why is it the only thing accessible? Why is it showing in what is basically a 404 or 403 page? Really curious...

Haha! Well, looks like those Smash Bros. demo codes didn't expire after all. :p Still had one left, so I put it in and wound up back on the confirmation page. First thing I did was nab the URL of the image:

https://eshop.nintendo.net/image/US/en/title/50010000025716/icon

Downloading it and adding .jpg yields the proper icon.

I toyed with some different URLs based off of that, but nothing I could think of worked. Interestingly, https://eshop.nintendo.net/title/ followed by anything yields different button text than the other URLs I tried. Might not be anything else to find, but you all can probably do better than me. :p

L~A

Haha! Well, looks like those Smash Bros. demo codes didn't expire after all. :p Still had one left, so I put it in and wound up back on the confirmation page. First thing I did was nab the URL of the image:

https://eshop.nintendo.net/image/US/en/title/50010000025716/icon

Downloading it and adding .jpg yields the proper icon.

I toyed with some different URLs based off of that, but nothing I could think of worked. Interestingly, https://eshop.nintendo.net/title/ followed by anything yields different button text than the other URLs I tried. Might not be anything else to find, but you all can probably do better than me. :p

Oh, nice find. Page for codes isn't working, so can't really check anything.

We really need DetectiveGAF help here! :)

ramparter

Banned

Nintendoes what othersdon't, again today?

Anyway it's really strange that someone was able to do that, I'd expect nothing would exposed in public access until it was 100% ready.

Xanonano

No, they weren't. They were literally tied to the hardware.
And yet, if you sent a totally bricked Wii in for repair, Nintendo could transfer your purchases to the replacement console. And if you transfer your purchases from the Wii to the Wii U, and then restore a NAND backup from when the games were still on it, the shop channel will detect that the content is not allowed on that console and delete it. Neither of these would be possible if the purchases were only tied to the hardware.

Jackano

Good find/monitoring. Can't add much to the thread but still:

- 904-1404 error code likely refers to the 404 HTTP status code;
- Cookie name JSESSIONID shows it is build on Java J2EE;
- Other than that there is not much interesting to find, for those who are in that sort of things like me it seems they are going the right way with full modern web development, responsive design (based on some css class it seems they started maybe with this wp? theme? http://themeforest.net/item/metropolis-responsive-wordpress-theme/2284171 ) and device agnostic (they better be with the 3DS). Also Angular.js.

Aroll

Actually, you totally can. So long as you unlink your NNID from your old console. There are basically two ways you can go about moving to a new system. Either "do the transfer yourself" with the built in system transfer tools, or call Nintendo, have them unlink it from the old console (If you no longer have it), and link it to the new one. This process takes roughly a week, but you'll recover all downloads (aka, you can redownload them). You can link 12 Nintendo Network ID's to a single console, so this is a nice option when you're combining say, your GF's and your own ID to one console. They will warn you that you might lose data from the other accounts on the system - but that's totally untrue, Nothing happens to those accounts - you're just adding another one to the system. Nice thing is, like other systems, any game digitally owned by any account on the system is playable by all.

Oh, nice find. Page for codes isn't working, so can't really check anything.

We really need DetectiveGAF help here! :)
At first glance it is a title ID. But rather different. It is 14 characters long and lacks hexidecimal. If on 3DS we include both sub directories you have 2 blocks of 8 characters (e.g. 00040000/0005ee00 is resident evil revelations).

smash Bros would obviously be a better comparison (demo or full)

L~A

^

Well, could try getting the icons for some games using the URL above and changing the ID?

- Other than that there is not much interesting to find, for those who are in that sort of things like me it seems they are going the right way with full modern web development, responsive design (based on some css class it seems they started maybe with this wp? theme? http://themeforest.net/item/metropolis-responsive-wordpress-theme/2284171 ) and device agnostic (they better be with the 3DS). Also Angular.js.

Makes sense, they did mention smarthpones a lot in the past few months, let it be about Miiverse, Mario Kart TV and more. And I'm sure they specifically mentionned smartphones for the eShop, too. So responsive design was pretty much a given, and besides, all their recent stuff is pretty modern too (Miiverse got responsive design too).

It may be taking them a while to get up to date, but at least, they're really doing things properly here.

ramparter

Banned
Actually, you totally can. So long as you unlink your NNID from your old console. There are basically two ways you can go about moving to a new system. Either "do the transfer yourself" with the built in system transfer tools, or call Nintendo, have them unlink it from the old console (If you no longer have it), and link it to the new one. This process takes roughly a week, but you'll recover all downloads (aka, you can redownload them). You can link 12 Nintendo Network ID's to a single console, so this is a nice option when you're combining say, your GF's and your own ID to one console. They will warn you that you might lose data from the other accounts on the system - but that's totally untrue, Nothing happens to those accounts - you're just adding another one to the system. Nice thing is, like other systems, any game digitally owned by any account on the system is playable by all.
I think we have had cases where nintendo staff didn't acknowledge that ability and refused to make the transfer. I wouldn't count on it.

Datschge

And yet, if you sent a totally bricked Wii in for repair, Nintendo could transfer your purchases to the replacement console. And if you transfer your purchases from the Wii to the Wii U, and then restore a NAND backup from when the games were still on it, the shop channel will detect that the content is not allowed on that console and delete it. Neither of these would be possible if the purchases were only tied to the hardware.
NNID is a user ID of which one can created a technically unlimited amount. With the Wii and DSi there were no user IDs but only hardware IDs, moving purchases from one to another hardware requires the connected hardware ID for each of these purchases to be changed in Nintendo's shop database (which is why that part always had been a hassle to do). With NNID currently only the user ID is connected to the hardware ID anymore, and even that link could be loosened further now that the account infrastructure is being built.

celebi23

So, I just redeemed Kirby Super Star. Got the confirmation page. Now waiting for the download :p
So, looks like it did redeem correctly. Got the normal confirmation email :D No download yet. Any word if the site will redeem a code & download to a 3DS?

Top Bottom