• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: some findings about the web eShop

Bytes

It would be awesome if this web version supported the ability to pre-order games and have them start automatically downloading on your console upon release.

One can always dream, I guess.

Isotope

Redeemed Kirby's Dream Course from Club Nintendo through the site, and it was indeed on my Wii U when I turned it on!

Investor meeting is when, October 30th? Hopefully we get more info on this then.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It would be awesome if this web version supported the ability to pre-order games and have them start automatically downloading on your console upon release.

One can always dream, I guess.

Since Nintendo already allow to pre-order DLCs, I hope that the step from just DLCs to DLCs and games doesn't take that long.

And pre-loading. Hopefully we see pre-loading too.

Useless but pretty interesting - if you enter https://samurai.wup.shop.nintendo.net/ (this is the top-level URL of the site which the web eShop accesses for images, as I suppose), it displays default Apache index page. You will get an HTTPS certificate error, though.

Let me remind you - WUP is the code abbreviation for Wii U (like NTR for Wii, DOL for GameCube etc). I should check CTR (3DS) too.

Why samurai? I don't know.

o8Zp4mr.png

EDIT: https://samurai.ctr.shop.nintendo.net/ works the same as the WUP one.

L~A

Has anyone else tried a 3DS code yet? I just did and it redeemed fine, and it said it should download automatically once the system's in Sleep Mode in the after redemption page but in the email I got afterwards said I'd have to go to the eShop to manually start the download.

Redeeming code image.

After redemption image.

Post redemption e-mail.

I put the images as links because they're kinda big. It hasn't shown up on my system yet in any case, but I'll give it some more time before I go to the eShop manually. (I'm in the US if that isn't obvious.)

Thanks for that! Gonna add it to the OP!

I can't input any codes, so I can't check myself... only works with US accounts, it seems.

About the email, I think the "how to download" part is just for those who haven't activated automatic downloads and such. One gaffer reported that the game downloaded itself after a while (you need to let your console check for content first).... wait, I think you're talking about the 3DS, my bad.

Useless but pretty interesting - if you enter https://samurai.wup.shop.nintendo.net/ (this is the top-level URL of the site which the web eShop accesses for images, as I suppose), it displays default Apache index page. You will get an HTTPS certificate error, though.

Let me remind you - WUP is the code abbreviation for Wii U (like NTR for Wii, DOL for GameCube etc). I should check CTR (3DS) too.

Why samurai? I don't know.

o8Zp4mr.png

EDIT: https://samurai.ctr.shop.nintendo.net/ works the same as the WUP one.

Oh, interesting find!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Thanks for that! Gonna add it to the OP!

I can't input any codes, so I can't check myself... only works with US accounts, it seems.

About the email, I think the "how to download" part is just for those who haven't activated automatic downloads and such. One gaffer reported that the game downloaded itself after a while (you need to let your console check for content first).... wait, I think you're talking about the 3DS, my bad.

Oh, interesting find!

Ok, a serious question: ...what does this mean? I don't know that much of the creation of web pages/ web sites, so I'd like to know more :p

Refyref

I redeemed Kersploosh via this site, and it appeared on my 3DS a while later. I didn't know the 3DS could do that. It doesn't download game updates automatically even if it discovers that they exist.

I redeemed Kersploosh via this site, and it appeared on my 3DS a while later. I didn't know the 3DS could do that. It doesn't download game updates automatically even if it discovers that they exist.
If you check the System Settings and its manual, you'll notice that 3DS can do these things in Sleep Mode via SpotPass:
  • receive notifications about system updates and notifications from applications
  • download "recommended software"
  • silently update list of curse words (yes, this is a thing)
  • send usage information to Nintendo for analysis.

Ok, a serious question: ...what does this mean? I don't know that much of the creation of web pages/ web sites, so I'd like to know more :p
Really, nothing more than there will be something ot these sites (or there already is, but hidden), and that Wii U and 3DS entries will be somehow separated.

The "It works!" page is a default main page placeholder for Apache, one of the most popular web server software. Think about this page as about an "under construction" sign.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Man it seems like they already have most puzzle pieces in place, hope the official launch and announcement isn't far away.

atbigelow

As a note, this web eShop was initially promised before the end of LAST year.

EDIT: To add some discussion about the tech side of this, the images Nintendo is using are SVG. They've got whatever this is built to work pretty broadly across platforms.

L~A

Reason why game updates on 3DS aren't downloaded automatically is because they seem to be separate apps (they got their own page and everything on the eShop), and they're not automatically added to your account... you have to do it manually.

The automatic download only download stuff from your account (and flagged as "to download", I guess).

As a note, this web eShop was initially promised before the end of LAST year.

EDIT: To add some discussion about the tech side of this, the images Nintendo is using are SVG. They've got whatever this is built to work pretty broadly across platforms.

If by all platforms you mean mobile, I'm not surprised. Miiverse does the same thing

Just tried it with the Kirby's Dream Curse code from Club Nintendo and it worked perfectly.

It even added the newly downloaded game to my Wii U's quick start menu.

That begs the question that people already asked of why Nintendo is putting up development code on a production server in the first place. It's more difficult to make this stuff publicly available than to keep it internal but yet here we are

L~A

Actually, the idea of a web eShop has been thrown around ever earlier than that... it's been really a long time in the making.

That begs the question that people already asked of why Nintendo is putting up development code on a production server in the first place. It's more difficult to make this stuff publicly available than to keep it internal but yet here we are

What puzzles me is that Nintendo still hasn't noticed anything yet... maybe because today was a holiday in Japan, but surely someone must've noticed people were doing something they aren't supposed to...

Ok, it's not like it's some super serious security breach (far from it), but it's really strange.

I wonder if Nintendo's all like "Oh shit, people are using the site before it's ready!" right now

Actually, the idea of a web eShop has been thrown around ever earlier than that... it's been really a long time in the making.

What puzzles me is that Nintendo still hasn't noticed anything yet... maybe because today was a holiday in Japan, but surely someone must've noticed people were doing something they aren't supposed to...

Ok, it's not like it's some super serious security breach (far from it), but it's really strange.

I'm convinced they put it up deliberately knowing it'd be found and some people would be curious enough to put codes in, we are the guinea pigs

celebi23

Redeemed Kersploosh! & Kerby's Dream Course. Downloaded as expected :D I hope this is the next step in finally getting a unified account system in place.

Koren

Interesting finds...

I hope this is the next step in finally getting a unified account system in place.
I'd like to be able to link two consoles (like two 3DS) to the same account. I don't even ask for sharing downloads between both (would of course be good)... Just to be able to link both to the same account.

I think about buying a new 3DS, but I don't want to transfer the content in my LL to the new 3DS, and I'd still like to link the new one to my Nintendo Account...

L~A

I'm convinced they put it up deliberately knowing it'd be found and some people would be curious enough to put codes in, we are the guinea pigs

Yeah, no. If it looked even remotely like an official thing (and not just a half-finished, "oops, you weren't supposed to see that" thing, I'd agree).

They're definitely testing something, but pretty sure it's been only private tests so far.

The question is: how the hell did that download code button ended up going public on a 404-like page :p

Elfteiroh

Just tried it on my Wii U browser (why do you ask? ... Why not?), here is the result:
A blank page, with the NNetwork icon with the text:
"You cannot access this service using your current browser.
Please note that this website is only meant to be accessed on PCs, tablets, and smartphones."

Aroll

I think we have had cases where nintendo staff didn't acknowledge that ability and refused to make the transfer. I wouldn't count on it.

Nintendo of America has acknowledged and done it for me on 3 different occasions. So yes, it can certainly be done. I cannot speak for any other region.

Just tried it on my Wii U browser (why do you ask? ... Why not?), here is the result:
Please note that this website is only meant to be accessed on PCs, tablets, and smartphones."

Pretty interesting. I remember they had the same thing with Miiverse web app for a while.

L~A

Makes sense... why would you need to go through the web browser if you're on your Wii U? Since you can access the eShop without shutting off the game you're currently playing (unlike the 3DS, where using the browser might be useful...).

Surprised the page is still up... I mean, it's obviously not a test, so how come they haven't detected anything yet?

Top Bottom