• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo spells it out to 'solitary anti-social teens'

That's the way to go, use a crappy stereotype, use some childish generalizations and insults, and apply it to your core audience. It's not just PR BS, they are directly insulting their fanbase, saying that it can all change (why would you want to change?) with AB Stepper rip off.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
karasu said:
That doesn't even make sense. Their focus determines whether they make movies/games you're interested in!
This is where people are forgetting the age old argument where, "if it's no longer interesting, why bother?" It's called free choice for those who have problems even understanding that.

If someone chooses to keep buying Nintendo products then there must be a reason for that individual. Blind loyalty to a video game company is a bullshit notion created by the "hardcore" gamers to make themselves feel better about their chosen purchases.

This is a brilliant move.

Look guys, many, not necessarily 'most' -- but many people consider gaming to be "nerdy" or "uncool."

The fact that we have 'closet gamers' says something. You don't hear people say "closet movie goers" or "closet music listeners."

Nintendo is taking this notion, and using it to their benefit. Trying to give the image that playing the Wii is cool, relaxing and fun. Basically their motto is, "let the nerds and fat-pimpled emo's play ps3 or 360, everyone else, plays the Wii.

Brilliant move, although as I've been an athlete all my life, playing in team sports, doing social things, in clubs, etc. etc., I specifically love video games because it lets me get the hell away from it all. I spend enough time around people, I cherish the moment to sit down in my boxers and play some halo.

And sorry Nintendo, standing on some retarded Wii fit board isn't going to do shit, you're fat -- stop playing any -kind- of video game, and go to the gym. Losing weight is a matter of thousands of calories, not the 7 calories you lose by balancing your fat ass on a board.

blame space said:
focus = $$$

Mario is selling better than ever.

In the US it is, in Japan it's an entirely different story. While something like Wii Fit is going to be a big hit worldwide. And that only feeds into their marketing.

Madman

speedpop said:
Blind loyalty to a video game company is a bullshit notion created by the "hardcore" gamers to make themselves feel better about their chosen purchases.
As is blind hatred. ;)

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
blame space said:
focus = $$$

Mario is selling better than ever.

Exactly. Nintendo is making s***loads of money now because they offered something that was very different from what the competition offered.

They offered people a choice.

o.o *le gasp*

You don't have to like the fact that there are choices out there you don't approve of. Just don't complain when they end up making more money than the focus groups called Sony and Microsoft because they offer various types of games, from "crappy mini-game collections" to Wii Fit to Metroid Prime 3 to Mario fucking Galaxy.

Its just like the American 2-D animation industry. There were very few movies made (about 1 a year) and many of them were of high technical quality. They enjoyed a good run in the early 90s when Disney had something of a resurgence with movies like "Beauty and the Beast" and "Alladin". But by the time they got to stuff like Atlantis it was too late. No one cared anymore.

Because every movie was exactly the same as the one before it, just with a slightly different color scheme.

Enter anime. Anime had been around for some time, but it didn't really become a well known commodity until the late ninties (right around when Disney's big 2-D animated movies started to slip). Whether every last fucking piece of animation that came out of Japan was of the highest quality was fucking irrelevant. Hell, lots of it was utter garbage.

But it was different. And there was lots of different types of anime. Disney movies from 1989-2000 were virtually all musicals centered on a love story, some sort of royalty, and cute little critter side kicks. It was so predictable by the time they got to Hercules it was disgusting. Anime had all different types of shows. Don't like sappy romance? Pick up some giant mechs. Don't like them mechs? Check out romantic comedies. Don't like comedies? Try some melodrama. Don't like melodrama? Try Monster collecting.

Are all of these shows and genres great? Hell no. But they're all a little different. Someone else's trash is another man's treasure. Nintendo applied this philosophy to the Wii. Make a console who's unique controller and lower development costs will allow for all sorts of different games to get some marketshare in each of them, so while their ownership of each market is medium to slim, in total it adds up to more than a large slice of only one pie.

Its simple math. 4 X 20 (80) is larger than 30 X 2 (60). Sony and Microsoft may own the audience they cover, but Nintendo has the bigger audience. Why is this a surprise again?

R0nn

klausbert said:
If that was the case, why did they get all those characters, which are mostly only known by nerds, for Smash bros Brawl instead of putting Mii stuff and mini games in it!?!?!??!?!??!?!???!??!!!!!!!11111einsoneuno

Just you wait for the next Dojo update!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Frester said:
I never thought I'd see the term "paradigm shift" applied to video games. Wow.

Nothing here is new, this started with the DS way back, and many speeches given by Iwata and (more recently) Miyamoto explain this in some way.

Just look at Iwata's last E3 speech, when he mentioned a "paradigm shift" taking place in his own home. Where he would play a cook book software on the DS all week and then use that to make dinner for his family on his days off. A lot of people mistook his words as some sort of audience expansion example, when in fact it was not, he's always played games. He isn't saying he is new to gaming, but that instead he as a hardcore gamer has developed a taste for new types of games that complement his life. The point of his speech wasn't only about growing the market but that user expansion software is just as much about the hardcore gamer as it should be about the non-gamer.

About the paradigm shift. That is the whole point of Wii and DS, it's taking the focus from game to gamer, from improving games to games that improve gamers. From looks of games to looks of gamers. From putting out a 64DD or FCDD to a Balance Board. It is not anymore about the game or the hardware operations, but the people operating it. Like it or not that's the wave of the future for this industry, and you'll see it more and it's good.

Count Dookkake said:
The average gamer isn't a healthy long-distance runner, gym-rat or social butterfly.

Okay...did anyone here say they were "healthy long-distance runners who live and breathe at the gym everyday?"

The piece isn't addressing your failings.

Huh?

Don't take it personally.

Well, why not? Their suggesting that those who don't desire to play their socially charged, life-incorperating, health concious games are "socially inept" and "fat and ugly."

ORRRR....Nintendo, maybe some people like to get away from it all and play games once and awhile. And that they take care of the 'socializing' aspect of their life away from video games, and take care of their health by running, playing in team sports, or simply working out at the gym, NOT by balancing themselves on a board. They make the issue so black and white. You have a PC, you're fat and pimply. You have PS3 / 360 and no Wii, lollerz you're a lozer! Let's go play simulated bullshit baseball when you can probably have more fun going to the batting cages with your friends, and you know -- actually develop hand - eye coordination.

You guys want to know why the Wii is outselling the PS3...stop analyzing shit, it's not the controller, it's not how the Wii makes you sexy, gain friends or lose weight or any of that bullshit Nintendo sprouts. It's because the Wii -is- cheaper. And the PS3 is fuck-expensive to where no college dorm-rat can afford one. Get over it.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Dave Long said:
I dunno dudes, we're all pretty much exactly as they describe. Take a look around your circle of friends and specifically your choice of Internet forum and then tell me honestly that we aren't all a bunch of social retards.
fixed

karasu said:
Are you serious? Whether you're making movies, music, video games or cupcakes; rule number one should be that you don't insult your audience's intelligence.

200px-Uwe_Boll_Dungeon_Siege.jpg

Armitage

karasu said:
Are you serious? Whether you're making movies, music, video games or cupcakes; rule number one should be that you don't insult your audience's intelligence.

If you're making art, sure. If you're running a business, absolutely wrong.

C- Warrior said:
Okay...did anyone here say they were "healthy long-distance runners who live and breathe at the gym everyday?"

No one said that. Not even me. :D

Please, ignore my first response. I was preoccupied and obviously gave a response that had nothing to do with your post as a whole. One part of it stuck out, and I took it out of context...

C- Warrior said:
Brilliant move, although as I've been an athlete all my life, playing in team sports, doing social things, in clubs, etc. etc., I specifically love video games because it lets me get the hell away from it all. I spend enough time around people, I cherish the moment to sit down in my boxers and play some halo.

I wasn't paying enough attention so I read the "Brilliant move" as sarcastic. The rest then read as "I'm a gamer, but I am in shape and social. Eff you, Nintendo." In my addled brain it seemed as though you were presenting the existence of one healthy, well-adjusted gamer as a total invalidation of Nintendo's PR.

My mistake. Sorry.

segarr

C- Warrior said:
This is a brilliant move.

Look guys, many, not necessarily 'most' -- but many people consider gaming to be "nerdy" or "uncool."

The fact that we have 'closet gamers' says something. You don't hear people say "closet movie goers" or "closet music listeners."

Nintendo is taking this notion, and using it to their benefit. Trying to give the image that playing the Wii is cool, relaxing and fun. Basically their motto is, "let the nerds and fat-pimpled emo's play ps3 or 360, everyone else, plays the Wii.

Funny, as Wii is still probably the least "hip" system....

I see football players in my dorm GEEKING THE **** OUT over Halo 3...I don't expect to see these fellas interested in anything Nintendo has to offer for quite some time.

From what I can tell, Wii isn't necessarily heading in the "young, hip, cool" direction, it's heading in the "housewives, children, old people" way....they are still going to laugh all the way to the bank, but "Bigger Market" does not equal "Hip Market"....just saying.

segarr said:
Funny, as Wii is still probably the least "hip" system....

I see football players in my dorm GEEKING THE **** OUT over Halo 3...I don't expect to see these fellas interested in anything Nintendo has to offer for quite some time.

From what I can tell, Wii isn't necessarily heading in the "young, hip, cool" direction, it's heading in the "housewives, children, old people" way....they are still going to laugh all the way to the bank, but "Bigger Market" does not equal "Hip Market"....just saying.

Bros ain't hip, dude.

Nintendo is smart.

Smart like the frat boy who makes out with a fat girl once a semester and gets his laundry done all year. Sure his sheets smell like sorority girl perfume and pussy--it doesn't matter. That fat girl will still keep his Izods ironed.

:lol

Unless this is all some big misunderstanding, I honestly don't even see why this is even controversial. Nobody here honestly likes the videogame stereotype, do they? The only sensible posts I've seen against this have been of the "trading one stereotype for another" sentiment, which is arguable, but hey, it's a business.

nightside

Neomoto said:
Can you all read?

"One slide of Dawn Paine's [UK Head of Marketing] presentation outlined the ways in which gaming has traditionally been perceived as"

que nerd image

So where exactly is it saying that Nintendo think we are all nerds who need to get a fucking life and such? Sheesh. That's not what it says, or what Nintendo supposedly said.

And btw, It's just reality. People DO think 'real gamers' are mostly nerds/geeks and anti-social and whatever. Where the fuck have you been all your life. Games for the masses (Fifa, Singstar, Halo, Guitar Hero, Mario and now DS and Wii gaming) is very different. It's just the way it is.

QTF..but still, people love to complain.

seat

C- Warrior said:
You guys want to know why the Wii is outselling the PS3...stop analyzing shit, it's not the controller, it's not how the Wii makes you sexy, gain friends or lose weight or any of that bullshit Nintendo sprouts. It's because the Wii -is- cheaper. And the PS3 is fuck-expensive to where no college dorm-rat can afford one. Get over it.
Must we list every console generation where this has not been the case?

Heard it here first: price is the sole indicator of which console will take first place every generation. I'm still waiting for Dreamcast to take the top spot.

Spike

This paradigm shift, to use Paine's terms, would come as the result of Nintendo's Touch! Generation software, which unlike traditional gamng, doesn't "replace your life - it connects with it". Paine's assertion that Nintendo wasn't abandoning the traditional gamer was supported by jus three examples: Metroid Prime 3, Phantom Hourglass and Mario Galaxy.

:lol

Oh Nintendo, I love you, but this is silly. You made Zelda:pH for casuals...

segarr

Count Dookkake said:
An average college football player "geeking out" over Halo 3 is not a particularly good barometer of "hip" either.

Oh, now I understand what he meant. I wasn't sure if he meant "bros" as in blacks, men in general, or what.

I'd disagree with that point to an extent, but I'm not really trying to get into some racial argument over this. The point I was making was that right now, the 360 is in a similar position to what the PS and PS2 had last gen (Although, obviously not dominating to that extent, and only in America). It's just the "cool" system to have for younger people...at least in regards to the college circles I've been around. Everyone I know seems to have one along with Halo 3 and if they don't own it one or more of their roommates does. I don't see the Wii making any real leaps and bounds in this area. Martha Stewart baking a Wii cake is sure to sell some consoles, but Nintendo is out of it's mind if it thinks it is looked at as anything more then a kiddie Japanese company with a interesting gimmick.

shifty100

Banned
Nice to see nintendo getting high from their current success, strange thing is the last I remember the public who sway towards the latest ' cool thing ' are as fickle as any human can be.

So to focus on the mass market who aren't from the traditonal pool of people who make up the games buying market is slightly short sighted of them, gamers usually stay gamers for life while the rest of the mass consumer market will always latch on to the next big thing to come along.

What happens to nintendo when the next ' big thing ' come along and the wii becomes that thing were you shake the controller around pretending to play baseball, bowling etc.

There is a big reason that MS and Sony are fighting the current dirty war in which they are engaged, to try and capture the majority of the market that will consistently buy games and consoles. The people that can be relied on to generate sales and profit month after month and year after year are as much of a sure thing as anything can be in consumerisim and are the core of both companies strategy.

The market can be increased and gaming can become a more socially accepted pastime but through time, not within the space of a year or so. Nintendo have to remember the people that helped build the company to what it is today since it first started making games and consoles - the same spotty, anti-social nerds their pr speaks about.....or so the stereotype goes.

SolidSnakex said:
In the US it is, in Japan it's an entirely different story. While something like Wii Fit is going to be a big hit worldwide. And that only feeds into their marketing.

New Super Mario Bros. sold over 5 million in Japan and Mario Party 8 has done nearly a million.

The people that can be relied on to generate sales and profit month after month and year after year are as much of a sure thing as anything can be in consumerisim and are the core of both companies strategy.

And look how well it's working for them!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111003

X26

Banned
As soon as the Wii was anounced nintendo began distancing themselves from gamers, this mentality of their isn't anything new

Certain titles you list like BWii are already out, Animcal Crossing appears to be on indefinite hold too, which is why I didn't list it.Project O, I guess I didn't know Cing isn't a Nintendo studio. I've seen it listed as one of their many times in the past here.

Dragmire

I'm personally offended that Nintendo has found a new way to make money, and is supporting it with a lifestyle campaign. This obviously means that Miyamoto is lining his pockets with the tears and broken dreams of Nintendo fanboys.

I would riot, but I'm too out of shape and anti-social (actually I'm in great shape).

All I care is that they can still make the best Mario game ever, and yes I'm still buying Wii Fit. For Fitness, not gaming! And yes, I'm a gym rat and will still be a gym rat after I buy it.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
EDGE said:
Clearly there's nothing wrong with engaging a new audience - indeed, it's massively profitable - but at the same time such efforts seem to dismiss the worth of the medium prior to this influx of accessible, functional but artistically shallow titles.

I'd counter this kind of claim by pointing out the rivers of artistically shallow titles that have flowed throughout the gaming universe since it's creation. It is also highly dubious to suggest that "accessible and functional" games are consequently artistically shallow. And finally, I don't see Nintendo dismissing the worth of the medium prior to their returned emphasis (as it used to be before the complexity of interfaces increased) on "accessible and functional" games

It isn't about claiming that the medium had less worth until recently - I don't see where Nintendo suggested that - but about Nintendo trying to carve itself a unique and more profitable position in a market that it was losing ground in.

I'd also suggest that the stereotype of an isolated, anti-social person as the typical gamer is something that is the product of reduced accessibility in terms of interface and game design. There was a time when my parents played Pacman, my father bought the original pong, they bought the Game & Watch titles, they bought the NES for our family, and they completed SMB before I did. The SNES marked the end of their time as "gamers" and it is only now with the release of the DS/Wii that they are once again playing games.

Top Bottom