• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo spells it out to 'solitary anti-social teens'

Kaervas

Banned
Im afraid that people might consider replacing normal activities like gym/sports and such with wiifit and sports "sims".

rakka

6kp78me.png

jrricky

Banned
shifty100 said:
Nice to see nintendo getting high from their current success, strange thing is the last I remember the public who sway towards the latest ' cool thing ' are as fickle as any human can be.

So to focus on the mass market who aren't from the traditonal pool of people who make up the games buying market is slightly short sighted of them, gamers usually stay gamers for life while the rest of the mass consumer market will always latch on to the next big thing to come along.

What happens to nintendo when the next ' big thing ' come along and the wii becomes that thing were you shake the controller around pretending to play baseball, bowling etc.

There is a big reason that MS and Sony are fighting the current dirty war in which they are engaged, to try and capture the majority of the market that will consistently buy games and consoles. The people that can be relied on to generate sales and profit month after month and year after year are as much of a sure thing as anything can be in consumerisim and are the core of both companies strategy.

The market can be increased and gaming can become a more socially accepted pastime but through time, not within the space of a year or so. Nintendo have to remember the people that helped build the company to what it is today since it first started making games and consoles - the same spotty, anti-social nerds their pr speaks about.....or so the stereotype goes.

:lol
1st bold: Nintendo's not going to stop making software for the casuals so there are gonna keep coming (WiiSports and Fit are just the beginning. :lol)
We'll still be getting our 'hardcore(lol)' franchises, no doubt with new IPs sprinkled in.

2nd bold: :lol how ironic :lol

justchris

mellowbob said:
apparantly the more laughing smilies you put in a post, the cooler you are

Smilies are only used by solitary, long-haired, anti-social freaks. Going forward, we want to create a world were anyone, even teenaged girls can use smilies freely, and with laughter in their hearts. We're going to do this by creating a broader range of smilies for self development, health, beauty and fitness.

Gigglepoo said:
I can't believe they are still spouting this line. Back in the PSX vs. N64 days, Yamauchi said PlayStation gamers locked themselves in dark rooms playing RPGs by themselves. I'm still not sure how Nintendo can rip solitary gamers than release games like Phantom Hourglass and Metriod Prime. I know I wasn't playing those games with a group of people.

EDIT - Found the quote!

From IGN:

"[People who play RPGs are] depressed gamers who like to sit alone in their dark rooms and play slow games," he noted in a 1999 interview. Yamauchi - who incidentally has prided himself on the fact that he has never played a videogame - went on to call RPGs as a whole both "silly and boring."

He's always been a dick. He even owned a shitty baseball team just because.

beef3483

LMAO. People are still talking about this?

Are long-haired, pimply, introverted nerds really this self-concious?

You people are validating this stereotype by taking offense to it.

But I bet most who were feigning offense were never going to buy a Wii anyways.

Joe Molotov

shifty100 said:
There is a big reason that MS and Sony are fighting the current dirty war in which they are engaged, to try and capture the majority of the market that will consistently buy games and consoles. The people that can be relied on to generate sales and profit month after month and year after year are as much of a sure thing as anything can be in consumerisim and are the core of both companies strategy.

PSP is really proving that theory.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
lol, this thread is pretty damn entertaining, but it also gives much insight on the psychology of gamers. Since the launch of the Wii, most of the Wii detractors have been wearing their badge of 'hardcore' gamer with great pride. "Surely what I like is better than what the unwashed masses like! I'm better than them, and I wouldn't want my beloved hobby to be polluted by the filthy casuals!'. Of course, despite saying such things, many don't necessarily believe it. I mean, let's be honest here, guys. Virtually everyone needs validation for the stuff that they like. While you may feel good knowing that you are a select few that like what you like, you still want other people to accept what you like as well so you wouldn't feel like a pariah/social outcast at the same time. This was the rationale behind Sega's marketing back in the day, to make people feel more comfortable about playing games by trying to make them seem hip and cool. That's why you have people say constantly mention stuff like people playing Madden on their 360s in college dorm rooms or GTAs and whatnot. Because the rationale goes 'If cool people like playing these games, then I will be cool as well!". Of course, this only works when the filthy non-gamers and casuals come in and don't threaten the sanctity of your hobby. Once that happens, suddenly the same people don't mind remaining in the (to quote someone in this thread) 'kiddy pool'.

Now don't get the wrong idea. I don't particularly like the direction Nintendo is taking, but the psychology behind such situations is particularly intriguing.

gee, and how long have i been saying that the wii isn't for people who like videogames? mods, can we please start moving all wii threads to off-topic now

Dahbomb

Drinky Crow said:
gee, and how long have i been saying that the wii isn't for people who like videogames? mods, can we please start moving all wii threads to off-topic now
:lol :lol :lol

Oh Drinky Cow how I love thee.

So....let me get this straight: Because I played RPG's on Nintendo's systems for years, I'm shallow and anti-social because of them?

Question: Can I sue Nintendo for making me what I am today?

beef3483

Drinky Crow said:

So you are one of those pimply, pale-faced, socially irrelevant nerds?

I give you credit. It takes a big man to admit such things about himself.

Duke Togo

Drinky Crow said:
LOL, you know he's right...:lol

thanks

I find myself playing my DS a lot lately. It doesn't make me beautiful, sexy, or hip, but it sure has a lot of fun games that I like coming out on it. Lots of games with a lot of gameplay, solid fun titles that had a lot of work put into them, not a mish-mash of minigames, and 3 or 4 released titles I'm interested in. No sir, this DS treats me well, and as long as it does, Nintendo could say that anyone who owns a DS is a rapist and I wouldn't give a flying fuck. But when you only have 3 games I remotely care about on a system, with only one announced that I have interest in, saying that I'm a greasy, pimply nerd (I'm not greasy, or pimply, but I'm a nerd, and I have lots of friends) when I'm not, and dismissing the kinds of games I like as only enjoyed by said nerds, it kind of pisses me off as a consumer that I gave you money in the first place. See, it feels like this. These things said by NOE PR feels like I'm getting yelled at by some fat sweaty bald guy, saying I'm a greasy pimply long-haired nerd, and he's not even giving me anything but some breadcrumbs, when I ordered steak. If they had been said by NOE PR about the DS, it would be like a really attractive younger woman was screaming the same things at me, but she was giving me the steak I ordered. I'd care for two seconds, until I realized I'm going to get a steak.

Mato

Nintendo is simply evolving and adapting. They are a company, they value money more than anything. What Nintendo offers today, aka their products and services is not what got me to like them. They don't cater to the same audience anymore. MP3 and PH are definetely not solid arguements. They are both watered down to fit that new audience Nintendo works for.

Yasser

DiatribeEQ said:
So....let me get this straight: Because I played RPG's on Nintendo's systems for years, I'm shallow and anti-social because of them?

Question: Can I sue Nintendo for making me what I am today?
it's gotta be worth a shot, people try sueing macdonalds for making them fat

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Drinky Crow said:

I'm trying to make this thought mesh with the Virtual Console selling old games well.

Perhaps what you meant was "the Wii isn't for people who like new video games", or something like that. I'm not sure.

Oh well, back to Mario Galaxy and the like.

Unless this is all some big misunderstanding, I honestly don't even see why this is even controversial. Nobody here honestly likes the videogame stereotype, do they? The only sensible posts I've seen against this have been of the "trading one stereotype for another" sentiment, which is arguable, but hey, it's a business.

You didn't read the OP fully. They didn't correct the preconceptions around the videogame stereotype, just stated it was true and they weren't aiming at that audience now.

Top Bottom