• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonFrog

They go to GDC. And they have had a couple of press conference before TGS (2006 for the Wii mote and 2011 for Monster Hunter 4 and Fire Emblem.)

Thanks.

And I see GDC 2017 already happened...I was thinking the European one, Gamescom and being dumb lol.

So E3, Gamescom, PAX, TGS are the big shows left this year.

Here's what you'll get

• Mario x Rabbids
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Zelda DLC
  • Splatoon 2
  • Maybe one unannounced game if we're lucky
  • new metroid game... on 3ds
  • sizzle reel for smaller games and indies
  • reggie talking about how great switch is doing and how much joy it's bringing people

Here's what you'll get

• Mario x Rabbids
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Zelda DLC
  • Splatoon 2
  • reggie talking about how great switch is doing and how much joy it's bringing people
At this point if I get some more info on Project Octopath, Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade 2 along with that, I'm good.

Here's what you'll get

• Mario x Rabbids
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Zelda DLC
  • Splatoon 2

This sounds pretty legit, though any Metroid seems overly hopeful at this point.

I'd actually be pretty happy with nothing else but this stuff assuming they also launch the Virtual Console with GCN support.

MoonFrog

I'd take Metroid 3DS if it were a good Metroid, any day.

Metroid Switch would be better, if it were also a good Metroid.

But...beggars can't be choosers and I'd be happy.

If it is an obviously atrocious curse upon the Metroid name that we see, then I'll be deeply sad and confused and angry about that. But even in that case, I'll try and mostly contain myself for you all :).

While the 'leak' is obviously fake, 'Monolith Soft' is what Nintendo lists as the developer of Xenoblade games. You're mostly right on Smash Bros., they list 'Sora Ltd. / BANDAI NAMCO Studios Inc.' for that.

Sadly, no one ever mentions Sora Ltd. when it comes to Smash Bros. People either say Sakurai or Nintendo, when the latter isn't really that involved in the development process in the series. I guess when a game features Mario, people automatically assume it's developed primarily by Nintendo. :/

I personally believe we will get at max 3 new games announced for switch and if i had to guess

Mario & Sonic at the 2018 Winter Olympic Games (this is all but confirmed sega and nintendo will not let this series die)

Retro Studios Game (Feb 2018)

Super Smash Bros for Switch (March 2018)

Richie

Obvious fakes, and what's more, thinking about it, what'd even be the use of having the presentation's lineup printed like that for internal use?

Rezbit

Here's what you'll get

• Mario x Rabbids
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Zelda DLC
  • Splatoon 2

Freaking this, except I expect no Metroid.

Sadly, no one ever mentions Sora Ltd. when it comes to Smash Bros. People either say Sakurai or Nintendo, when the latter isn't really that involved in the development process in the series. I guess when a game features Mario, people automatically assume it's developed primarily by Nintendo. :/

The person I was replying to said it was a "Bamco developed game", which means he's somehow informed enough to know they assisted with Smash 4 but not enough to know about Sora's involvement ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Here's what you'll get

• Mario x Rabbids
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Zelda DLC
  • Splatoon 2

2017 or not (I bet yes), Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a safe bet to be shown in further detail. Even with the 2017 focus, if it's coming out in 2018 I still expect them to show it.

Mr. RPG

Here's what you'll get

• Mario x Rabbids
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Zelda DLC
  • Splatoon 2

That would be awful. :(

xandaca

The fact the presentation is only 30mins long and focused on 2017 limits the number of games and new announcements likely to be made. After all, if they only spend five minutes per game, that's just six games. My best case scenario would be something like:

- Mario Odyssey big game focus (incl release date) 5-10mins
- Short piece on unannounced Splatoon 2 modes/features and free ARMS DLC ~5mins
- Short piece on BotW DLC packs (incl release dates) ~2mins
- Xenoblade 2 trailer ~3mins
- Mario vs Rabbids trailer ~5mins
- Showreel of upcoming 2017 games (Switch/3DS), maybe including a WiiU port a la Tropical Freeze DX ~3mins
- Features coming to Switch by the end of the year (Netflix, web browser, usual stuff) ~2mins
- Very short Metroid 2018 tease >30secs

I cannot possibly see how you could fit in more than that, and would be extremely surprised if they even did that much. Excluding perhaps a tiny teaser for a big 2018 title, I wouldn't expect more than two new games (Rabbids incl) to be announced.

Sora isn't a developer. It's just the company that represents Sakurai and his wife. Aside from them it has no permanent employees.

Brawl and Kid Icarus Uprising were developed by ad hoc teams gathered specifically for those projects.

The fact the presentation is only 30mins long and focused on 2017 limits the number of games and new announcements likely to be made. After all, if they only spend five minutes per game, that's just six games. My best case scenario would be something like:

- Mario Odyssey big game focus (incl release date) 5-10mins
- Short piece on unannounced Splatoon 2 modes/features and free ARMS DLC ~5mins
- Short piece on BotW DLC packs (incl release dates) ~2mins
- Xenoblade 2 trailer ~3mins
- Mario vs Rabbids trailer ~5mins
- Showreel of upcoming 2017 games (Switch/3DS), maybe including a WiiU port a la Tropical Freeze DX ~3mins
- Features coming to Switch by the end of the year (Netflix, web browser, usual stuff) ~2mins
- Very short Metroid 2018 tease >30secs

I cannot possibly see how you could fit in more than that, and would be extremely surprised if they even did that much. Excluding perhaps a tiny teaser for a big 2018 title, I wouldn't expect more than two new games (Rabbids incl) to be announced.

I feel confident in saying there won't be that much time dedicated just to talking about Odyssey.

We know it will be in a playable state (as it will be on tour in select retailers during E3 week) and will also receive a substantial push in the Treehouse demos. As with their BotW strategy last year, I can see the presentation presence being limited to a single trailer with (a) one substantial feature we don't know about yet (like alternate playable characters or some form of co-op, if that can exist in a Mario game of this format) and (b) a release date, with the bulk of Odyssey content being shunted to the lead-off segment of Treehouse Live, the first half-hour following the Spotlight video.

Xenoblade won't get more than a trailer, and even then the thing to watch for is whether there is English VA and text ready to go in the trailer alone, the bellwether of a global release in 2017. Splatoon needs a feature push for a number of things that have been shown on video or Tumblr without direct explanation, like spectator features or local multiplayer, and it can afford to have some of the details shunted aside as it will get a whole tournament to itself.

I'm optimistic, in other words, that we won't see too much of a retread of the titles first announced in January. Odyssey may be the banner title but I expect the main push for it will be in Treehouse Live gameplay, while the Spotlight video will reserve as much time as possible for new announcements. The segment that people will probably be most impatient with, I foresee, is Rabbids, but that's mostly because the surprise has already been spoiled.

At minimum we'll hear about what the mass-market game for Spring 2018 will be. There is always something positioned like that. (That won't be Metroid; if we see Metroid, or Retro's game, it is likelier to be a tease for an unspecified 2018 release.) There is plenty of room for two or three first-party announcements for 2018 (I'd bet on two) even if the focus is on 2017 and Nintendo prefers short announcement-to-release cycles of half a year; lots of precedent for that in their strategy.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about too much time allocated to what I call "blah blah third party blah blah"—token shows of support from western publishers that are really only there for Nintendo to signal to the press that they have mass-market third-party support. I completely expect to feel my time is wasted with FIFA, NBA 2k18, Lego, Just Dance, and even more personally intriguing titles like Rabbids and the Skyrim port (a sure bet that everybody else seems to be forgetting) when I'd rather be hearing about the first-party pipeline, perennially exciting oddballs like Platinum, or at least some unique indie arrivals.

Three new first-party retail titles (late 2017, first half of 2018, undated 2018) are the benchmark for new announcements, though I'll concede that Pokkén/Rabbids might already have ticked the first slot. Smaller digital titles may sweeten the deal, though some may be set aside as an off-presentation Treehouse surprise (which I expect to be the fate of anything on 3DS, like the Kirby fighting game). That's the bar, and I think half an hour leaves just enough room to clear it.

Moments hunter

Neo Member
Of course the presentation is only 30 minutes - it will focus on Nintendo games and indies. All other heavy hitters (Overwatch, CoD, Destiny, Mario vs. Rabbids, etc.) will have their space in presentations of other companies...... Right?

sfried

Of course the presentation is only 30 minutes - it will focus on Nintendo games and indies. All other heavy hitters (Overwatch, CoD, Destiny, Mario vs. Rabbids, etc.) will have their space in presentations of other companies...... Right?
Not sure. Payday2 appeared in the Nindies Switch Direct, and that wasn't exactly an indie title.

I expect some surprises, but I will temper my expectations. Expect something low key and a slow burn, like a good stew.

Jubenhimer

Not sure. Payday2 appeared in the Nindies Switch Direct, and that wasn't exactly an indie title.

I expect some surprises, but I will temper my expectations. Expect something low key and a slow burn, like a good stew.

Actually, Payday 2 was in the April Direct.

I don't think anyone is expecting Overwatch or Destiny. CoD might happen though.

The only semi 'big' game I can see announced for the Switch outside of Nintendo's own Spotlight is a port of Rocket League.

takriel

"We released Federation Force, and you weren't too eager about it. We heard you. We understand. That's why we're really proud to present to you the next installment in the Metroid franchise. It's a 2D sequel to the Metroid Prime games, coming exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, Holiday 2018. Oh, what about Switch owners you ask? Don't worry, we've got you covered. Federation Force HD will come to Switch in Spring 2018!"

DMONKUMA

"We released Federation Force, and you weren't too eager about it. We heard you. We understand. That's why we're really proud to present to you the next installment in the Metroid franchise. It's a 2D sequel to the Metroid Prime games, coming exclusively for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, Holiday 2018. Oh, what about Switch owners you ask? Don't worry, we've got you covered. Federation Force HD will come to Switch in Spring 2018!"

*Blood pressure rising*

*projectile vomits on screen*

13ruce

Banned
Meh i bet their surprise game will be Rabbids x Mario game:/ it got leaked but they don't care it will still be the surprise of the direct probably:(

sinonobu

Banned
Meh i bet their surprise game will be Rabbids x Mario game:/ it got leaked but they don't care it will still be the surprise of the direct probably:(

That'll most likely debut in Ubisoft conference tho.

It's published and developed by Ubisoft.

Neonep

Nintendo's biggest issue is getting Switches into people's hands. Once they can do that with some consistency man. Nintendo getting games out like they are right now is really smart because once anyone gets a Switch they have many options to go with.

When the next mainline Pokemon comes out, it's going to be crazy. Although the next mainline Pokemon game won't come out until earliest 2019.

Chao

Here's what you'll get

• Mario x Rabbids
  • Mario Odyssey
  • Zelda DLC
  • Splatoon 2

This is exactly what I'm expecting, only difference being Retro working on something else we didn't expect, either a new IP or revival of a forgotten old IP

So I've been to LACC recently to do some setup work on E3 (not gonna say what) so there are some things I can tell y'all about Nintendo's showfloor. Sorry no pics cause 1. I was busy 2. Didn't want to get into trouble on the day itself but now that I'm done and I can take advantage of the internet mask of anonymity thought I might as well have some fun. Many people won't believe me (partly because I have a feeling that Ninty fanboys are going to be pretty disappointed about this... denial and all that) but fuck it

First things first not everything was set up so maybe there will be more stuff but I really doubt there's anything major left. And again this is the showfloor so this may not be all they talk about during their direct but it's a safe bet

First things first, no Metroid, Animal Crossing, Pikmin 4 (although Hey Pikmin is there), Smash Bros, F-Zero (to any fool who still belived nintendo is making more of these), Pokemon Stars. All of these do not exist on the showfloor. Ninty fans hoping for these (and from what I know there are a lot) will be disappointed so don't say you weren't warned

Mario Odyssey is the main highlight as expected. There's statues of Mario holding his sentient cap, the Hat flying machine, Bowser in his pimp costume. Nothing we haven't seen before. The booth is decorated to look like New Donk City and there are like 20+ monitors set up there for the public to play. I didn't get to of course, the switches were not set up there yet. There is a video feed, though, and there is new stuff shown:

1. Mushroom Kingdom appears to be a playable level. Probably the intro level. Other new levels shown are a Haunted Mansion of sorts as well as a sky level with towers

2. Old powerups -- fire flower, starman, propeller hat, cloud hat return, though the powerups themselves are not seen. I suspect they are tied to the Crazy Cap store and the sentient hat this time instead of pickups.

Will continue posting below since I'm hitting the word limit

3. New powerup that seems to give Mario electricity powers exists

4. More footage of existing levels are also shown, but I don't remember anything too interesting.

Moving on to other booths

ARMS gets a booth as expected. Nothing exciting

Splatoon 2 gets a booth. There is a video feed there too. I haven't played the first one so I can;t really tell if there's anything new. A level with lots of slopes resembling an indoor skate park is shown and there's also a level with floating platforms in like a swimming pool or something.

Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle gets a booth as well. Pretty much what you have seen. Not sure if this has been leaked yet but the player character appears to be a UFO rabbit of sorts commanding the characters around.

Fire Emblem Warriors gets a booth. The mage (Tharja?) from Awakening is playable, as are Marth and Camilla (these are the ones recognised. There are more but I don't think I've ever seen them before)

Pokken Tournament gets a booth

Xenoblade 2 gets a booth. Nothing very interesting, desu, looks like the first one with an anime skin. No idea what the story is,, but the rolling grassy fantasy areas are there alright

Okay now some new switch stuff

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is getting a port. This surprised me since it's supposed to have sold like ass in Japan. Maybe they're trying to escape the wii u's low userbase. No more wii u ports iirc

Pilotwings + Waverace is a new game... set on wuhu island from what I can see and resembles the 3ds pilotwings and wii sports resort jetskiing. Nothing too big, nothing anyone asked for, but it looks pretty fun for casual play

Square Enix's octopath traveller is there, and I've nothing to say about it because it was only half set up.

Sonic Mania and Forces have booths. There is a new level in Mania that is shown off, reminds me of sky sanctuary but I don't think it is. Forces is, well, forces and I didn't see anything new there. The public will prob get to try the C.C. (tbc below)

(I don't know what the random desu is doing there in the previous post... freudian slip? Anyway moving on)

Monster Hunter XX port is coming. I know it's been announced in Japan but this is the localised version. 3ds and switch versions will both be playable.

Sin and Punishment Angel's Ascent is a new game in the Sin and Punishment series (last one was on the wii I think). Very flashy, looks as if it was developed by Platinum

Skyrim for Nintendo Switch has a booth. Notice how it's not the "legendary edition". Graphics seem to be improved, though, so no idea what this means

Project Mekuru (that low budget panel flipping eshop game) has a booth

Speaking of 3ds, Ever Oasis, Hey Pikmin, Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, and the new Kirby eshop games will all be playable

There are also tons of indies including Stardew valley and yooka laylee but I don't have anything interesting to say here.

Sorry if that wasn't very interesting or even disppointing, but that is what I saw and what I'll report. Signing off.

Source

DMONKUMA

Like I said in the other thread this has red flags. Especially if this is suppose to have S&P and Tokyo Mirage on the show floor.

Mention something like Bayonetta 3 or Metroid I would play along and laugh but mentioning S&P is a slam on being fake.

MoonFrog

General question before considering rumor: does a game usually have a booth, if it is shown, whether or not it is playable?

Sin and Punishment Angel's Ascent is a new game in the Sin and Punishment series (last one was on the wii I think). Very flashy, looks as if it was developed by Platinum

rusrs1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom