• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo statement on lack of adaptor in NA.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Lock if old. Via IGN. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/01/14/new-3dsxl-doesnt-include-charger-here-are-some-options

Nintendo responded to our request for comment on why it was decided to leave the charger out of the box. According to Nintendo, it was a measure designed to save costs for consumers who may already own a 3DS or DSi system. According to Nintendo, "New Nintendo 3DS XL uses the same AC adapter as any Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo DSi system. Rather than raise cost of New Nintendo 3DS XL by charging consumers for a component they may already own, we are giving them the option to only buy if they need an AC adapter."

Nintendo responded to our request for comment on why it was decided to leave the charger out of the box. According to Nintendo, it was a measure designed to save costs for consumers who may already own a 3DS or DSi system. According to Nintendo, "New Nintendo 3DS XL uses the same AC adapter as any Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo DSi system. Rather than raise cost of New Nintendo 3DS XL by charging consumers for a component they may already own, we are giving them the option to only buy if they need an AC adapter."

lying through their teeth

they're just cheap as hell

NotLiquid

The lack of releasing the normal N3DS is something I can understand people being pissed off about. The AC Adapter thing seems like little more than a peeve. I guess with Europe having gotten the same treatment prior it doesn't seem like that new of a concept.

tsumineko

Can't see the problem here... That's a pretty reasonable explanation. The console would cost more if they included the adaptor as standard. Now you're saving money if you don't need the adaptor, or paying what it would have cost had they included the adaptor as standard if you buy the adaptor seperately.

It's been like this forever in the EU. Pretty common for phones too.

I'm from the UK and I have literally never purchased a product that didn't come with a mains adapter. I get a new phone every 2 years as well and even they always come with a mains adapter. Honestly if it didn't I'd be kinda curious why it wasn't in the box.

I've never bought a phone w/o a charger in the EU, I never heard of any of my friends buying a phone w/o charger.

I want another charger if I get another 3DS, 2 chargers are always better than just 1.

Firehead

It'd be different if the new 3DS didn't have a proprietary port. This is gonna cause problems with the average consumer. Especially with parents that aren't savvy with technology.

And then there's the whole trade-in deal they have with GameStop, which requires you to include the AC charger with your 3DS.

So pretty much they said "we included something free, but we decided to start charging for it".
Again, **** off Nintendo. It is like Xbox 360 accessories all over again.

Assuming that everyone buying a N3DSXL already has their adapter isn't playing fair to customers wanting to buy their first system. I certainly wouldn't buy the regular XL over the New. but leaving out the adapter is cheap. Maybe it's a minor expense to buy the necessary item, but an expense it is!

Derpyduck

Banned
Seriously. Can't even afford to include a charger in the box. Hell they could at least include a USB cord.

Or if they're going to refuse to ever ship power adapters anymore, change the damn port on the device to one that isn't proprietary. Cheap, lying shits.

Name me one phone that doesn't include a charging cable that uses a proprietary cable to charge the device with.

Oddduck

According to Nintendo, "New Nintendo 3DS XL uses the same AC adapter as any Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo DSi system. Rather than raise cost of New Nintendo 3DS XL by charging consumers for a component they may already own, we are giving them the option to only buy if they need an AC adapter."

So is New 3DS only targeting existing 3DS owners?

They did put a tiny ass battery in the Wii U controller when there was clearly a big gap for another bigger battery, which they later sold separately.

Any reason why they never used a usb type of adapter like many android phones? More people probably have those than old 3ds adapters.

Boke1879

They are being cheap and there is honestly no defense for this. In NA even a new phone comes with a charger.

This is my first 3DS and now I have to go out of my way to buy an official nintendo charger? The supposed cost they are saving on is more than likely minimal

How much is a separate charger ? If they charge $14.99 - $20 dollars they can fo F themselves.

Lol taking something out thats free and charging for if.

From an environmental standpoint, it makes sense. I love phone manufacturers who do this.

The inexcusable part though is Nintendo's insistence on a proprietary connection. There is no reason they can't use micro USB. That's the part where it becomes hard to defend this policy.

jackdoe

Can't see the problem here... That's a pretty reasonable explanation. The console would cost more if they included the adaptor as standard. Now you're saving money if you don't need the adaptor, or paying what it would have cost had they included the adaptor as standard if you buy the adaptor seperately.
Yeah... I'm pretty much 100% sure that it would have still been $200 even if they included the AC adapter. They're not actually passing savings on to the consumer.

Shojx

So does this mean, since the 3DS XL launched here in NA with the AC Adapter at $199.99, that if they excluded the AC adapter then it may have launched here for $189.99 or so? Hmm.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm from the UK and I have literally never purchased a product that didn't come with a mains adapter. I get a new phone every 2 years as well and even they always come with a mains adapter. Honestly if it didn't I'd be kinda curious why it wasn't in the box.

Yeah. But they still have been doing this in the EU since XL first came out. Kind of crazy.

hatchx

Banned
I was pretty weird out by this decision, then I heard they were only 10 bucks.

Then I shrugged, and went on with my life.

And watch, Gamestop will want your charger (if you want the full credit) when trading in your old 3DS

I came here to ask this exact question.

It'd be pretty easy for gamestop to throw in a shitty 5 dollar off brand AC adapter or make people there buy them, but they aren't going to do that, and I'm still going to be forced to buy one anyway, aren't I?

Fuck.

Edit:

I was pretty weird out by this decision, then I heard they were only 10 bucks.

Then I shrugged, and went on with my life.

...Never mind.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
they're just cheap as hell

Same could be said about all the people complaining really.

Like its some sort of giant hassle to get one more extra component into your shopping cart.

Japan was the same thing. No chargers with the systems.

How much does it cost them to produce them? Come the fuck on. Penny-pinching bullshit.
Same could be said about all the people complaining really.

Like its some sort of giant hassle to get one more extra component into your shopping cart.
Apparently it's a giant hassle for Nintendo.

Banned
The adapter costs Nintendo like $2. Yet I just had to buy one on Amazon for $12.99 that goes to nintendos and amazons pocket.

Any reason why they never used a usb type of adapter like many android phones? More people probably have those than old 3ds adapters.
"Because **** you, give me money" - Angry Joe.
No Nintendo fans can say any shit about PS Vita memory cards now.

If they truly cared, they would include a micoUSB port to charge stuff.

Caayn

As a European I don't see any problem with not including a charger with your product.
And watch, Gamestop will want your charger (if you want the full credit) when trading in your old 3DS
Of course they want it. It was included in the box so it's only normal that they want it.
"Because **** you, give me money" - Angry Joe.
No Nintendo fans can say any shit about PS Vita memory cards now.
Except a charger isn't nearly as expensive as the idiotic prices Sony charges for their memory cards.

Blizzard

Banned
Or if they're going to refuse to ever ship power adapters anymore, change the damn port on the device to one that isn't proprietary. Cheap, lying shits.
Do they refuse to ship power adapters, or do they still ship power adapters if you order them? The way it's described, it seems like they will still ship power adapters if you purchase one separately.

Incidentally, I believe the Wii U pro controller does use a small USB port for charging. I am unsure if there would have been any potential power draw / spec issues with running a new 3DS XL off of that type of cable, though.

Top Bottom