• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo stock up nearly 5% this morning

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I don't have enough information to contextualize this or even accept it as true.

All I know is Nintendo is selling 25 million Switches this year.

What happened? Sony having a disappointing conference or what?

For the first time, I think you're beginning to see investors view Nintendo as a holistic company on its own, instead of in concert with the other makers. I think their financials in the next year or two will continue to tell that same story.

I don't have enough information to contextualize this or even accept it as true.

All I know is Nintendo is selling 25 million Switches this year.

Is this a joke? I'm really not sure.

It's only at 5M currently isn't it? I don't see another 20M in the next 5-6 Months.

Zedark

It's only at 5M currently isn't it? I don't see another 20M in the next 5-6 Months.
It was at 4.7 million on June 30th, so 9 months for 20 million. Still won't happen, of course, with current stock issues.

That's a pretty big turnaround from last year where their only relevant products going into the holiday were new Pokémon gen boosted but still really old 3DS and the NES Classic.

Now it's scary to think how much bank Nintendo will make over the next 4-5 months.

I bought in November of 2015 at $20.28. It's now trading at $46.17.

Here is today's action:
https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/NTDOY:US

I bought in 2011 and again in 2012-13 at around $15 average, and sold most of that last summer at $37 :(.

But I bought some more closer to $25 last Fall and that's looking decent too.

i think its because of news that they're going to try to enter China again in 2019 with Tencent making games for the switch could lead to some partnership

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-deal-with-tencent-paves-way-for-china-push-1505825294

Just to clarify, this isn't news that they're going to try to enter China, but rather rumors/analyst expectations.

Vena

What happened? Sony having a disappointing conference or what?

As funny as this would be as a reason, these sorts of moves are usually not done by people who watch Press Conferences.

Tencent's announcement of AoV, as noted before, is a really *big* low key unveil. There's going to be a lot of potential for bullish changes in forecasting for many reasons and this is a big one that is hard to gauge but we know has a monstrously high potential if it hits the right beats.

Nowise10

I don't understand peoples obsession with Nintendo and why you feel the need to personally congratulate them for having their stocks raise.

Like...why.

So glad I bought in when it was low. It's been a much quicker turnaround than I expected though. They are in a really good place currently with a couple successful mobile games (FE and Pokemon Go), the Switch is selling as quickly as they can produce them, the SNES/NES classics will also sell as much as they can produce, and Amiibo continue to sell decently. Hopefully they can get their manufacturing issues fixed and pump out plenty of hardware in the next 3-4 months.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

It's mostly a joke.

But Nintendo with Tencent in China feels like it throws a wrench into any sales predictions.

I don't understand peoples obsession with Nintendo and why you feel the need to personally congratulate them for having their stocks raise.

Like...why.

There seems to be quite a few people here who may be video game enthusiasts and they seem to react positively to positive news regarding one of the major players in the video game industry.

Nintendo just straight up murdered my wallet this year. In cold blood. In broad daylight. In front of a cop.

And there is no signs of slowing down. They are just nailing games this year IMO.

Like...why.

People congratulate most gaming success here, leads to an overall healthier market with more games that have more ambition and possibly more investment in new IP.

Unless you want more failure and less risks, ambition and money flowing in the industry I don't see why you have a problem with the subject of the thread.

Or you could be like the at least one other user ITT who just have an irrational hatred this particular company. That too.

AdanVC

All of this is pretty much thanks to Iwata who left the company all set so it can have this huge turnaround after the disaster that was Wii U. Mad props to Kimishima and team for properly achieve Iwata's last vision <3

Like...why.

I'm happy to see their stocks rise. I think they are deserving given how neat of a concept the Switch is. I'm glad that going against the status quo again worked out for Nintendo.

I would rather see more of that in the industry and less of what essentially boils down to new systems only making games look prettier with not much else new.

Top Bottom