• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Strategy Briefing 2015 thread (Nintendo discusses smartphone title Miitomo)

Hydrus

So you DON'T want them to try and be sustainable for another generation?

I want them to try and be competitive on the console market. Hearing them say bring our IP's to more kids with NX, is what they've been doing with wii u and it obviously didn't work. Just want to hear them acknowledge the hardcore Nintendo fans.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Still not a TP fan. The only 3D Zelda I have been unable to finish. No idea why people fawn over it.

Best dungeons of the 3D Zelda games. Overworld and Hyrule Castle town still leagues better than Ocarina as well.

I wonder if / how they'll try to fix the real problem which is the first three hours. They could easily make fast travel faster and more convenient.

Kind of. It's pretty worrisome that they're still so focused on children. I'm pretty sure the average video game player is in their 30's. They really need to start focusing on that crowd as well.

I will be shocked if they ever make any kind of serious attempt to compete directly with Sony/MS for the teen/adult male gamer, no matter how badly many people here want it. It's not in their DNA as a company, and hasn't been since Iwata et al. eviscerated NOA and NOE 15 or so years back.

I guess you don't like the "reach more children" part?
Which is what Nintendo needs to do if they want to keep their IPs popular on the long term?

edit:

Doing one doesn't stop from doing the other. That's what they wanted to do with GC and WiiU. But children are there to make IPs work long term. Adults are there for other reasons (at launch, online services, digital, etc). Different audiences for different goals.
Right, but they're not even mentioning the goals to get these other audiences. They only mention how to continue marketing to the crowd that they've already been focused on which happens to be the audience that obviously isn't enough to carry their brand.
I will be shocked if they ever make any kind of serious attempt to compete directly with Sony/MS for the teen/adult male gamer, no matter how badly many people here want it. It's not in their DNA as a company, and hasn't been since Iwata et al. eviscerated NOA and NOE 15 or so years back.
They need to though. Video games aren't just for children, and marketing solely to children isn't enough to keep a company afloat anymore.

atbigelow

Sorry for the shit quality:

kHiTXBO.png

Something is up for sure.

And that ain't SS Link.

Snakeyes

It's once again the focus on Kids.

Yup. It's pretty hilarious that they're still desperately doubling down on that demographic despite their competitors proving that a bigger focus on the adult market translates to better sales. Guess they're still cool with kids playing Nintendo until they're 10 years old then ditching them for PlayStation and Xbox.

It seem form the list that it q1 to q2 games which zelda would be, I mean the 3ds list doesn't have dq 11 which is coming out next year.

No doubt and I'm not saying Zelda wont be on Wii U but it is a sorta interesting omission. The way they have utterly downplayed that title since its mysterious delay is a smoking gun no doubt. The game is a NX launch title. The main question is if its cross gen

NotLiquid

Sorry for the shit quality:

kHiTXBO.png

Something is up for sure.

Hm, are they really going to abandon TP's gritty art style? I do admit that the brown/grey bloom was a little too much but this is an interesting decision on their part.

Funnily enough, haven't people made mods that alter the visual effects to show that it's stylistically very similar to Skyward Sword?

Toparaman

Banned
Here's the Link art from the storefront display, for those who missed it:

Also I think this investor's meeting was fine. Miitomo looks solid with potential broad-audience appeal, Nintendo Account seems solid, and we got further evidence of Twilight Princess HD. That's more than I expected to be honest.

Revven

Is the zelda cycle real or what???

Its like TP was bashed until it was the next remake due out. Now everyone is fawning over it.

Hell, i remember at friggen release people were not impressed with it.

If a TP hd release is what we are going to accept as big news,

Gross.

Here's the thing, if they are going in and redoing the entire art style and models for this release that's one thing immediately improved to make it a better game.

If on top of that they also address the issues with the Tears of Light you need to collect three times and a bunch of other niggling issues (such as the beginning of the game being so long as a tutorial) then the game will be one thousand times better.

And if they top it all with, "It's out on the eShop now!" (during a Direct) then hell yeah it's big news. That's like a whole new fucking game right there. That's practically a remake if they're redoing every single thing (models, textures, lighting, etc). If the render in that slide is literally what Link's model is going to be in TPHD. Everything would have to match that model's art style.

Snakeyes

I want them to try and be competitive on the console market. Hearing them say bring our IP's to more kids with NX, is what they've been doing with wii u and it obviously didn't work. Just want to hear them acknowledge the hardcore Nintendo fans.
It didn't work with N64, GameCube and Wii U, and it has even less chance of working now with the advent of hand-me-down tablets and smartphones, which will meet the gaming needs of most young children until they're five or so.

"Fourth time's the charm, we promise!!!"

Red Devil

I don't expect to hear any solid info about NX until the end of January next year. And they will either announce a show date or direct us to E3.

Just sticking to the plan of not saying anything until 2016 then.

The hardcore Nintendo fans like Nintendo IPs which are mostly kid friendly...

He thinks Nintendo focuses on kids too much
When have they not..? I can't think of many games made by Nintendo on, say, the SNES with "adult appeal" aside from maybe Super Metroid and Zelda. Even so, they're games have always been approachable to all demographics with a focus on selling to children.

The sooner you accept that enjoying Nintendo stuff means enjoying stuff largely intended for children, the better off you'll be!

Hazu

Oh well, I guess it's time for me to buy a PS4. Other than Xenoblade Chronicles there's pretty much nothing coming out soon on Wii U. :(

Eolz

Right, but they're not even mentioning the goals to get these other audiences. They only mention how to continue marketing to the crowd that they've already been focused on which happens to be the audience that obviously isn't enough to carry their brand.

They need to though. Video games aren't just for children, and marketing solely to children isn't enough to keep a company afloat anymore.

Tomodachi, Girls Mode and Animal Crossing was their plan to get the women audience and it worked. Kimishima said they're going to double down on that this winter.
QOL is for old people (not only) since Wii Fit won't sell as an accessory anymore.
3rd party partnerships are for the hardcore.

There's a lot of stuff to be expanded upon later. If they don't market to this audience, they're dead.

^ I wouldn't mind TP HD using the SS styled visuals. I've always wanted a SS HD, too. The Wii just held back their artistic intentions for those games.

Yup. It's pretty hilarious that they're still desperately doubling down on that demographic despite their competitors proving that a bigger focus on the adult market translates to better sales. Guess they're still cool with kids playing Nintendo until they're 10 years old then ditching them for PlayStation and Xbox.
You say this with an avatar of Captain Falcon with a Cranky Kong face!?

Nanashrew

Banned
From Cheesemeister.

Ease of creation/use of Nintendo Accounts being emphasized. Register with NNID, Facebook, Twitter, Google, e-mail.

You'll be able to purchase software downloads on the site, see purchases, play info, and game-related messages.

New point program for purchasing/playing console/mobile games can be used on DLC, original goods, and game coupons.

Nintendo Account friend list, requiring mutual confirmation, will be utilized on both console and mobile.

Nintendo Accounts will provide cloud storage of character and save data.

Future Nintendo Account services will extend to theme parks, movie theaters, and stores.

The new Nintendo membership service is called My Nintendo, which will bridge across consoles and mobile.

Top Bottom