• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch #1 Selling Hardware in September. Nintendo Systems = 2/3 Total sales.

BY2K

Membero Americo
PR: http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...s-Nintendo-Systems-Claim-Two-Thirds-September

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In September, the Nintendo Switch system was once again the top-selling current-generation console hardware, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. This marks the third straight month that Nintendo Switch has been No. 1, and the fifth time overall in the seven months since its launch. Nintendo Switch has already surpassed 2 million units sold in the U.S. alone, and has yet to go through its first holiday shopping season.

When combined with the Nintendo 3DS family of systems and the plug-and-play Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system, Nintendo systems claimed two-thirds of the month's total video game hardware sales.

Nintendo Switch games again occupied multiple spots in the list of best-selling individual games of the month, including Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle from Ubisoft at No. 7, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at No. 10 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at No. 11. Also, the Metroid: Samus Returns game for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems debuted at No. 8.

Nintendo Switch aims to continue its momentum into the holidays, with the launches of Fire Emblem Warriors on Oct. 20, Super Mario Odyssey on Oct. 27, DOOM and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim from Bethesda Game Studios on Nov. 10 and Nov. 17, respectively, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Dec. 1. Additionally, Nintendo 3DS will see the arrival of Fire Emblem Warriors on Oct. 20, Mario Party: The Top 100 on Nov. 10, and Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon on Nov. 17.

http://nintendoeverything.com/septe...ms-claim-two-thirds-of-gaming-hardware-sales/

NPD will be issuing data from the September 2017 report later today. However, Nintendo has already come out with some information to highlight its strong performance.

In September, Switch was the top-selling current-gen hardware in the United States. It's the third month in the row for the console and the fifth time overall in the seven months since launch. Sales for Switch are now at over two million units in the US alone.

A number of Switch games occupied multiple spots in the list of best-selling individual games of the month. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle was at #7, Zelda: Breath of the Wild was at #10, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was at #11. Metroid: Samus Returns for 3DS was also at #8 in its first month.

Nintendo also noted in today's announcement that, when combined with the 3DS family of systems and the Super NES Classic Edition system, Nintendo systems claimed two-thirds of the month's total video game hardware sales.

Source: Nintendo PR

FelipeMGM

here is the PR

http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...s-Nintendo-Systems-Claim-Two-Thirds-September

In September, the Nintendo Switch system was once again the top-selling current-generation console hardware, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. This marks the third straight month that Nintendo Switch has been No. 1, and the fifth time overall in the seven months since its launch. Nintendo Switch has already surpassed 2 million units sold in the U.S. alone, and has yet to go through its first holiday shopping season.

When combined with the Nintendo 3DS family of systems and the plug-and-play Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system, Nintendo systems claimed two-thirds of the month's total video game hardware sales.

Nintendo Switch games again occupied multiple spots in the list of best-selling individual games of the month, including Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle from Ubisoft at No. 7, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild at No. 10 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at No. 11. Also, the Metroid: Samus Returns game for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems debuted at No. 8.

Nintendo Switch aims to continue its momentum into the holidays, with the launches of Fire Emblem Warriors on Oct. 20, Super Mario Odyssey on Oct. 27, DOOM and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim from Bethesda Game Studios on Nov. 10 and Nov. 17, respectively, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on Dec. 1. Additionally, Nintendo 3DS will see the arrival of Fire Emblem Warriors on Oct. 20, Mario Party: The Top 100 on Nov. 10, and Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon on Nov. 17.

Gestault

I'm so ok with this. I'm sure overall sofware volume isn't earth shaking, but seeing Metroid in the top ten makes me very happy.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
..and people wondered why Nintendo didnt bury the 3DS.

+6 years in still chugging along.

Edit:

Wow Metroid did better than i expected :eek:

Seems Mario+Rabbids is a big hit.

Otherwise no surprises, it was clear that Switch will be the top selling console after they finally managed to ship enough hardware.

Switch will stay number one for the rest of 2017... and probably 2018 too.

WestEgg

2/3, i was like damn what.

Ohhhh, including 3ds and snes classic. Still damn though for one company.

While they do specify the Switch was still the best selling current generation hardware, I have to imagine the SNES mini, if counted as standalone hardware, potentially sold millions world wide if it's first shipment was really larger than the NES mini's LTD

Man God

Non-Canon Member
What? Everyone since April was saying PS4 would win September NPD because of Destiny 2.
September was the first month I saw it consistently in stock in every big box store. It is going to fly off the shelf this holiday.

Zedark

Nice, great result for Switch! Numbers must be quite big with the PS4 destiny 2 bundle being outpaced, hope we get some clandestine insight.

Glad to see Metroid and M+R do well, seems like US really is propelling Metroid!

While they do specify the Switch was still the best selling current generation hardware, I have to imagine the SNES mini, if counted as standalone hardware, potentially sold millions world wide if it's first shipment was really larger than the NES mini's LTD

Oh, i do not doubt that the snes classic was the best selling piece of gaming hardware in september.

Also Switch is current gen. Nintendo says so.

Rest in Piece Pokken.
My guess for top 10 is
NBA2k18
Destiny 2
Madden 18
Fifa 18
GTA:V
?
Mario and Rabbids
Metroid SR
?
Mario Kart 8D
Zelda

?? Hmm

Gartooth

Absolutely well deserved for Nintendo. What a turnaround from the first years of the Wii U and 3DS.

Happy to see Rabbids and Metroid charted! I'm curious how many units they sold of them.

Nintenleo

Happy for Mario + Rabbids and especially Metroid, it deserved even better. Good spot on the top 10 in the month of sport games and Destiny. We need Metroid 5 and I hope MercurySteam is going to work on it.

sense

What? Everyone since April was saying PS4 would win September NPD because of Destiny 2.
I am pretty sure a lot of them were contingent on stock availability by Nintendo. Saying that, I did think PS4 might edge it out this month thanks to destiny 2 but that pro bundle at 449 was just not attractive enough I guess.

Plum

I seriously think that Nintendo will carry this success on to the holidays. They've done practically everything they can to set Switch up for success, all they really need to do now is meet the demand with supply.

..and people wondered why 3DS didnt bury the 3DS.

vEvgBk8.jpg

Top Bottom