• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 details, release date (January 2021), and new information on Zelda Breath of the Darkness

D.Final

Banned
Love my Switch so much, I’m infinitely happy with Nintendo so far. Would buy a Switch Pro day 1 and then replay all my games again 😁

It would be really great to play Zelda Breath of the Wild, and Zelda Breath of the Darkness, with this technical quality given by the new Nintendo Switch 2.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
P. S .: the number of consoles sold does not indicate the quality of the console.

Games make the console.

Of course not. But it is the only thing that matters to the company. Nintendo doesn't want another GameCube, no matter how much we may have liked it. It was a disaster to them.

daveonezero

Banned
I hate the speculation that Nintendo will make a new Switch no a switch at all and just go home console.

I want a switch. I am in no hurry. If their hndhelds are any indication the new switch will be fully combative and still be a hybrid.

Business

Breath of the Darkness...
Fucking lol right here the reason whoever came up with it writes fan fantasy in a basement and doesn’t actually work naming BOTW’s sequel.

TLZ

Banned
BTW Switch is not a home console... it is a portable first with option to dock it to TV.
Everything around Switch were designed as Portable.

Of course Marketing will want to highlight it as a console and as portable because they want to sell it to both... that is why Switch is unite but it is still a Portable with option to dock it on TV like a console.
Correct. The Lite is proof of that.

D.Final

Banned
I hate the speculation that Nintendo will make a new Switch no a switch at all and just go home console.

I want a switch. I am in no hurry. If their hndhelds are any indication the new switch will be fully combative and still be a hybrid.

I think the new Nintendo Switch 2 is part of Nintendo's strategy with regard to the Switch brand.

Recent interviews see how this concept is called "Switch family". And also, right now, there are several Rumors that talk about how Nintendo wants to try to create new versions of Nintendo Switch.
And among these versions also a new home console, Nintendo Switch 2.

I'm sure more Switch models will be produced in the coming years.
And I wouldn't be surprised if one of these was Switch 2.

This is so strange, people on /v/ post “leaks” from this site and don’t believe the leaks posted on their own site but people here are posting links from /v/. I don’t know who to trust any more.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
lol......I posted about this on GAF a while ago I was right about the lite and I'm right about the home console.....why people keep doubting this is beyond me

'Nintendo is going roll out a handheld and home version of the switch (I was saying this before the lite was announced) it makes perfect sense"

mckmas8808

Banned
Okay so the goal for the Switch 2 is to have the power of the OG PS4? Basically about 2 TFs of power with 64 GBs of "HDD" space. I wonder how much RAM it'll have....

zenspider

This is the first Switch rumor that makes sense to me - the shape of it at least.

I don't think the tech is there in 2021 to have a docked 4K/60FPS with a handheld compoment - be it the current Switch generation or inevitable Switch 2 hybrid or handheld, but that modular, iterative forward and backward compatible "family" of hardware is the core of the strategy that survives the streaming digital future.

Last edited:

noqtic

My girlfriend's friend's cousin twice removed works at Nintendo and he said that the new Switch will be called Switch Too and the only discernible difference is that it will be stable as fuck.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I appreciate a good joke. That was good to read, after so much speculation about a Switch "Pro", which has pretty much turned into the new WiiHD. It's refreshing.

tkscz

Too much has me casting doubt, "I know a guy who works at Nintendo" not withstanding.

1. Why not keep it a handheld? That was the big selling point of the Switch. While it is held back by it's technology, a LOT of people didn't care and felt that taking console level games on the go was worth the fidelity drop.

2. Why continue to use Nvidia Tegra technology if you're giving up the handheld format? Tegra is STILL super small, hell, Xavier is a SMALLER chipset than Erista (X1) is ( 12nm vs 20nm). Don't get me wrong, it would be awesome if that part were true as Xavier has tensor cores that are used for ray tracing, but it's not on the same level as an RTX GPU due to it's size, which again, why not go with a costume Volta chipset that packs a better punch than Xavier? (though the TC's are normally used for deep learning, if you remove that, maybe it's better at processing ray tracing?) And if you have to use Xavier, why not use Xavier Pegasus? Yes, it's literally two Xavier chipsets slapped together, but if it's not a handheld anymore, why not go for it? It's extra power while using the same tech.

3. No mention of RAM but the mention of price and release date? Yeah Nintendo has had leaks in the past but very few ever got a correct date unless it's already close to release. Also, a mention of it running on Xavier but not a mention of the RAM it'll use? I mean, I can look it up and see that Xavier supports pretty much only 16GBs of LPDDR4, but it's custom according to the rumor here, meaning they could use LPDDR4X or LPDDR5 instead, but it's not mentioned at all, which seems weird to me.

4. Why would they call it Switch 2, but explain it like a new 3DS? It's explained like the Pro version of the Switch, but why call it Switch 2 and not Switch Pro or New Switch? I mean, it even says in the rumor that this isn't a new generation device, but a power boost of the Switch, which I'll take. Which leads me to my 5th point,

5. Everyone wanting a Switch Pro wants it to run on Xavier. Even I've said this on here that the only way I'd believe a Switch Pro to be worth while is to use a custom Xavier chipset. Parker is just a slightly boosted Erista running on Pascal instead of Maxwell. Xavier doubles the bandwidth, doubles the GPU core count, adds Tensor Cores, and encodes video at 8K. The only thing holding it back is it's Floating point processing, which is only 1.4TFLOPs on average, 850GFLOPs at lowest and 2.3TFLOPs at the most. But even then, it would be a powerful handheld. But that's everyone's fantasy and nVidia isn't known for making custom chips for anyone but their own products. It's pretty much the reason I doubt they'd take a deep learning chip and turn it back into an APU format.

Okay so the goal for the Switch 2 is to have the power of the OG PS4? Basically about 2 TFs of power with 64 GBs of "HDD" space. I wonder how much RAM it'll have....
Xavier having Tensor cores would mean that it would at least be able to do ray tracing, plus native support for FP16 could work in it's favor.

joe_zazen

I don't think the tech is there in 2021 to have a docked 4K/60FPS with a handheld compoment

As far as botw goes, it is a wii u game. Why wouldn't a 2021 nvidia chip not be able to run it 60/4k even if it it has to work within 30W power budget?

urmie

Is everything you purchased digitally going to transfer over? Nintendo didn't implement this for the WiiU -> Switch unfortunately, but perhaps with the Switch's current account system, this is possible ?

Reactions: TLZ

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Can it play Death Stranding though?
eqRKlb8.png

zenspider

As far as botw goes, it is a wii u game. Why wouldn't a 2021 nvidia chip not be able to run it 60/4k even if it it has to work within 30W power budget?

The "Wii U" component of the code can, well, run on a Wii U. Pushing 4K resolution textures in real-time in a seamless open world at 60 frames per second has nothing to do what game is doing it or where it comes from - it's just math.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey on XBOX ONE is, as far as a chipset is concerned an XBOX 360 game doing 4K 60fps. Even then, Zelda might be doing more graphic-agnostic physics simulations and have less overhead for effects than AC.

All that said, I could be absolutely wrong about the tech - but what I am imaging would have to be the case to make sense is essentially a PS4PRO jammed in a Switch form factor with a minimum 1080p screen and 3-5 hour battery life by Q1 2021 for $349 or less.

Am I wrong that that sounds like fantasy?

Last edited:

joshwaan

I hoping they go for

Switch 2
7" screen bezel very thin 1080p screen.
3 or 4 Tflops GPU , 1.6 GHz min cpu clock
128gb storage
Better battery

2021 proberly when they release something along lines this. But we know Nintendo be Nintendo so expect some crazy shit added in.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who knows what specs Switch 2 will have, but there is one thing that will be certain.

Whatever TF Scarlett and PS5 do, Switch will probably be about 25% of it. I bet it won't even be as powerful as PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

jadedm17

Lmao 2021, good luck with that guys.

Ill never understand following rumors. Never.

Who knows what specs Switch 2 will have, but there is one thing that will be certain.

Whatever TF Scarlett and PS5 do, Switch will probably be about 25% of it. I bet it won't even be as powerful as PS4 Pro.
Does it need to? The Switch being X360 levels and portable is fine for me. Admittedly i stay away from shooters - 720p hurts visible distance - and watch YT fine on my $80 phone but personally, and mainstream, id be fine at 1080p30frames.

Last edited:

Meesh

OP you forgot to mention it has a special slot for blowjobs
Why just a slot though, why not a port or a receptacle? Maybe I'm more of a port guy, did Nintendo ever think of that???
(In before there's already "tons of ports" on Switch)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
So the big deal of the switch is it’s ability to do both. Nintendo release two versions that don’t switch , because ?!?

MagnesG

Banned
So the big deal of the switch is it’s ability to do both. Nintendo release two versions that don’t switch , because ?!?
To tap out the end spectrum of hardcore market on both sides.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that though? In general.

D.Final

Banned
This is the first Switch rumor that makes sense to me - the shape of it at least.

I don't think the tech is there in 2021 to have a docked 4K/60FPS with a handheld compoment - be it the current Switch generation or inevitable Switch 2 hybrid or handheld, but that modular, iterative forward and backward compatible "family" of hardware is the core of the strategy that survives the streaming digital future.

I agree.
And in fact Nintendo Switch 2, according to the rumor, should read the standard Nintendo Switch game cards and even improve the technical features of framerates and graphics.
(similar to what happens between PS4 and PS4 Pro, and what will probably happen with PS5)

Coflash

All I would want out of a new Switch are certain standards for games (or more options for visuals, like with Darksiders). For example - all games in either docked or handheld will run at 30FPS.

I played LA Noire in handheld. The performance was atrocious. There were parts where it easily felt like it was dipping into single digits and the entire game world would slow down. It's not acceptable. I only finished it because it cost me $90. I've played many games with shoddy performance on it since, but that one takes the cake. It's a dog's breakfast. Other notable candidates:
  • Mutant Year Zero
  • Either of the Wolfensteins
  • LEGO City
  • Saints Row
I'm pretty sure The Witcher 3 is going to make that list as well.

I imagine their mentality is well it's possible, why not? Yet for consumers, there's no way to tell how it'll run until you try it. I don't see this being any different to how Crysis came out for PC and PC hardware clearly wasn't ready for it, and look at the furore that caused.

I use the Switch exclusively in handheld mode. If I have to plug these in to get a decent frame rate and visuals, then the handheld component is useless to me. Even then, MYZ runs and looks like shit when docked. If I'm not using handheld mode then I'm likely at home where I'd rather game on the PC or PS4 instead.

Anyway, if there were a rule that all games had to run at a certain frame rate and resolution I'd be much less hesitant about what I buy.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
I just got off the phone with my cousin's wife's boyfriend who works at Nintendo.

The Switch 2 is called The Switcheroo. It's a handheld, a home console, and a car. It's also BC with the NES with it's additional NES cart slot.

BOTW 2 is called Prince Sidon's Anal Adventures In Link's Asshole Whilst Zelda Watches And Fingers Herself.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
lol......I posted about this on GAF a while ago I was right about the lite and I'm right about the home console.....why people keep doubting this is beyond me

'Nintendo is going roll out a handheld and home version of the switch (I was saying this before the lite was announced) it makes perfect sense"

The Rumors are beginning to intensify, especially for the creation of a new Nintendo Switch 2 as a home-only console.

So yes.
I also think that Nintendo is seriously developing a new home console for the market.
(and probably also to be towed by the market for a technical evolution, as soon as the future PS5 and Xbox Next will be coming)

tkscz

The people who constantly bitch they won't buy it unless it only does one or the other. No joke, just look around GAF, plenty of people who bitch they want the switch to just be a console and not a handheld, which makes no sense to me.

What do you mean by powerful? Just based on Floating point process? It wouldn't be as the PS4 pro has a higher FLOP rate than the Xavier. But on a hole the Xavier has advantages over the PS4 Pro (notice I'm saying the chipset and not the Switch 2 as that is just a rumor). The Xavier has a better CPU, has built in Tensor cores and is based on Volta. A console with a Xavier in it would be capable of hardware based ray tracing, something even the PS4 pro is not able to do. It would also be capable of more modern shader techniques as well (though there haven't been too many of those outside of simpler ray tracing via tensor cores).

D.Final

Banned
To tap out the end spectrum of hardcore market on both sides.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that though? In general.

I also think it's a strategy to cover more market segments.

And probably also to continue the support of future third party games on Nintendo consoles.

T_LVPL

Mad how expensive the Switch is for what it is, a 1080p console optimised for handheld play. I’ve been waiting to buy one for ages, and get a good deal. Usually the formula is the older console is, the RRP will go down on the console, peripherals and games. but if anything, with the Switch, the price keeps on going up ffs!

xool

Anyone who thinks they would abandom the hybrid console/handheld moneymaker is crazy. The switch is Nintendo's final form

Doesn't a screenless version cost/sell for less and maybe meet a wider audience ?

(but not this Xavier nonsense)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Nintendo will never, ever, ever, ever, ever join the console arms race. They'll reach 4k 60fps when Sony/MS have been doing it for a decade and it's cheap. So 2028.

This is so obviously fake it's embarrassing.
to be fair Nintendo games are not as demanding as games on PS4/XB1. a game like zelda/mario could easily do 4K 60fps.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

D.Final

Banned
Mad how expensive the Switch is for what it is, a 1080p console optimised for handheld play. I’ve been waiting to buy one for ages, and get a good deal. Usually the formula is the older console is, the RRP will go down on the console, peripherals and games. but if anything, with the Switch, the price keeps on going up ffs!

This happens with every Nintendo-branded console and device.

In fact, even after 3/4 years from the release of a Nintendo console, the price is always very close to the DayOne exit base price, with at most slight differences.

A comparison can be the Apple brand, between smartphone and computer.

diffusionx

Gold Member
to be fair Nintendo games are not as demanding as games on PS4/XB1. a game like zelda/mario could easily do 4K 60fps.

On what hardware?

Super Lucky's Tale on Xbox One X hits 4K/60fps. You can use that as a proxy for a Mario game I guess. But the One X is significantly more powerful than the stuff people are talking about in this thread.

On the other hand, Breath of the Wild could easily be as demanding as any current gen game.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Yeah, but that's not the point. Nintendo could join the power struggle and try to be bleeding edge in terms of graphics, but they don't want to compete with MS/Sony. They have a niche and they're damn comfortable in it. They have no motivation to do anything else.

Shaqazooloo

I mean, a home console only Switch would make sense considering things that Nintendo has said in the past. IIRC they had said they wanted their platforms to be more unified and would like their games to be played on more devices, having a home-console only, a handheld only, and a hybrid between the two could be a smart idea. Three different ways to play Nintendo (and 2nd/3rd party) games on Nintendo consoles but they all share the same library, can get the home-console only crowd and the handheld only crowd along with the people that want the in between. Choose how you want to play.

Top Bottom