• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch 2 details, release date (January 2021), and new information on Zelda Breath of the Darkness

FMXVII

Say what you will about how nonsensical the Switch Lite is (I do... I am nonsensical too, though, since I bought one), but that Yellow one is sexy as all get out.

Shaqazooloo

Fake, and people like Super Metal Dave 6 eats this up believing it could be real and thinks 2021 will be seeing a new Console because the Switch "can't" compete against the next-gen consoles
I remember that guy, had to unsubscribe from him because it was just the same thing everyday. Nintendoomed, sony announcing a new PS Vita that will destroy the Switch! what a joke.

Edit: Oh damn, just looked at his youtube channel, didn't think he made video's anymore. Wow the title of the vid:
"More Powerful Nintendo Switch Now Nearly Confirmed and It's Right On Time"
How are people still subscribed to this guy?

Last edited:

Zannegan

Fake, and people like Super Metal Dave 6 eats this up believing it could be real and thinks 2021 will be seeing a new Console because the Switch "can't" compete against the next-gen consoles
I remember him saying the hybrid Nintendo console was impossible and his sources had confirmed that we'd be getting a super powerful home console right up until his reaction video to the Switch reveal. He's more than willing to go down in flames supporting what he wants to believe, ignoring any evidence to the contrary.

That said, as disappointed as I would be if this rumor turned out to be true (exactly as described anyway) and as suspect as the sources are, I'll never say it's impossible. Stranger things have happened in the Nintendo camp before now, and we have new leadership over there who might have a different vision for the Switch brand. *shrug*

D.Final

Banned
All I would want out of a new Switch are certain standards for games (or more options for visuals, like with Darksiders). For example - all games in either docked or handheld will run at 30FPS.

I played LA Noire in handheld. The performance was atrocious. There were parts where it easily felt like it was dipping into single digits and the entire game world would slow down. It's not acceptable. I only finished it because it cost me $90. I've played many games with shoddy performance on it since, but that one takes the cake. It's a dog's breakfast. Other notable candidates:
  • Mutant Year Zero
  • Either of the Wolfensteins
  • LEGO City
  • Saints Row
I'm pretty sure The Witcher 3 is going to make that list as well.

I imagine their mentality is well it's possible, why not? Yet for consumers, there's no way to tell how it'll run until you try it. I don't see this being any different to how Crysis came out for PC and PC hardware clearly wasn't ready for it, and look at the furore that caused.

I use the Switch exclusively in handheld mode. If I have to plug these in to get a decent frame rate and visuals, then the handheld component is useless to me. Even then, MYZ runs and looks like shit when docked. If I'm not using handheld mode then I'm likely at home where I'd rather game on the PC or PS4 instead.

Anyway, if there were a rule that all games had to run at a certain frame rate and resolution I'd be much less hesitant about what I buy.

I think that, due to this technical problem (between framerates and resolution), Nintendo Switch 2 can be a valid answer for third-party developers, and for all the games that come out and will be released in the future.

If TW3 on standard Switch will have extremely compromised graphics and resolution, probably with a possible Nintendo Switch 2 (which should have performance similar to standard PS4 or Pro) the result would be considerably better.

For this a new more powerful Switch console, even if only for home and no longer portable, could be really useful for many third-party game developers.
For today's support, and above all for future support.

Because already many third-party games for PS4 and Xbox One are brought to Switch too indecently and with too many compromises just to be there.
(with rare exceptions, of those who use Unreal Engine 4)

But next year, and in 2021, with PS5 and Xbox Next, will third-party games get on Switch without further increasing those compromises made in porting triple A games from PS4 / Xbox One to Switch?
The answer is, unfortunately, no.
(due to unmanageable technical limits)

And for this reason there will be a new Switch.
(which could easily also be Switch 2)

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
I remember him saying the hybrid Nintendo console was impossible and his sources had confirmed that we'd be getting a super powerful home console right up until his reaction video to the Switch reveal. He's more than willing to go down in flames supporting what he wants to believe, ignoring any evidence to the contrary.

That said, as disappointed as I would be if this rumor turned out to be true (exactly as described anyway) and as suspect as the sources are, I'll never say it's impossible. Stranger things have happened in the Nintendo camp before now, and we have new leadership over there who might have a different vision for the Switch brand. *shrug*
Why would you be disappointed?

Zannegan

Why would you be disappointed?
It just seems like a big, uninspired mistake, akin to releasing the Wii U as the successor to the Wii. The execution sounds shoddy and directionless, and then there's the price.

I'm not against Nintendo releasing a home console again, like some, nor am I against them attempting to expand the Switch concept to multiple form factors. I'd just like them to do it in a way that A. makes sense for the brand and the audience, and B. doesn't put their current success at risk. If you want a grunty console, go for it. If you want a mini console-only Switch, go for that. But a $400 console running on Switch-parts that may not even rival the PS4 Pro? It's like the worst of both worlds and for no justifiable reason.

Basically, I'd be onboard if they made any effort to integrate this into the Switch's core concept, such as:
1. "Super Dock" functionality--basically, while they'd stay two separate systems, dock a Switch or Lite to rapidly transfer save data to simulate a dock.
2. This console is the forerunner of a portable Switch 2 to be released in a few years.

#2 still muddies the waters, but either idea would tell me that they at least have a vision and a plan for the next few generations. Right now (assuming any of this is true, which I don't), it sounds like they're throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. If that's the case, then instead of a smooth generation gen to gen, we can expect another eighteen month drought starting in year four of the Switch's life followed by a slow spin-up to whatever the next generation is.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
1. "Super Dock" functionality--basically, while they'd stay two separate systems, dock a Switch or Lite to rapidly transfer save data to simulate a dock.

Now we’re going somewhere. Nintendo has a patent for a “supplemental computing device” that can boost a gaming system using its own hardware. “The game console may couple to a supplemental computing device that includes resources that the game console may also utilize to increase the speed or quality of a user's gaming experience.”

If Nintendo has been playing with that idea in the labs, it’s not hard to imagine them releasing a Super Dock that could boost resolutions (even to 4K?) and frame rates over the current docked Switch’s capabilities.

This has lots of advantages. It doesn’t require a new console generation and all the uncertainty that can entail (Nintendo can’t be eager to risk another Wii U). If you want the power, you can pay for it; if not, just buy the basic Switch… and maybe pick up the Super Dock later. It’s pretty easy to market and up-sell.

I have no idea if this will happen, but it seems like Nintendo’s thought about it.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I don't like Switch 2 name.

If it's just a traditional console that plays Switch games but with better performance then it should just be called a Switch Pro. Switch 2 sounds like it's a next gen console that'll have exclusive games. In that case they need to release more hardware.

EITHER:

Switch Lite - dedicated handheld
Switch - the OG Switch than can actually Switch
Switch Pro - dedicated "docked" console with maybe more performance.

OR:

1st gen
Switch Lite - dedicated handheld
Switch - Switcheroo

2nd gen
Switch 2 - traditional wall hugging console with significantly more performance
Switch 2 "Classic" - A worthy successor to the OG Switch that can play in handheld, tabletop, or docked. A console that truly lives up to the Switch name.
Switch 2 Lite - dedicated handheld.

BONUS POINTS FOR NINTENDO:

Call the "2nd Gen" Switch family this...

Switch To Pro
Switch To Classic
Switch To Lite

Instead of the boring "Switch 2" make the name of the console sound a bit fun. Switch 2 the Pro experience!! Switch 2 the Classic experience!! Switch 2 the Lite experience......

Zannegan

Now we’re going somewhere. Nintendo has a patent for a “supplemental computing device” that can boost a gaming system using its own hardware. “The game console may couple to a supplemental computing device that includes resources that the game console may also utilize to increase the speed or quality of a user's gaming experience.”

If Nintendo has been playing with that idea in the labs, it’s not hard to imagine them releasing a Super Dock that could boost resolutions (even to 4K?) and frame rates over the current docked Switch’s capabilities.

This has lots of advantages. It doesn’t require a new console generation and all the uncertainty that can entail (Nintendo can’t be eager to risk another Wii U). If you want the power, you can pay for it; if not, just buy the basic Switch… and maybe pick up the Super Dock later. It’s pretty easy to market and up-sell.

I have no idea if this will happen, but it seems like Nintendo’s thought about it.
As I understand it, they basically can't have a supplemental computing device that boosts the Switch's base power because the USB port at the bottom of the Switch doesn't have the bandwidth to do that AND send video to the TV. They could put out what is basically an independent console with a little docking port on top though. Games would just run on the console while the Switch was docked (rather than getting a boost), but save data and even a save state could be sent over to the handheld when it was disengaged.

That would work for the brand on multiple levels:
1. It would allow those who want a console-only experience to have it without having to pay for all the unnecessary parts or deal with the limitations that come with fitting into a mobile footprint.
2. It would let the folks who like the mobile option but want more power--and are willing to pay for it--to get the best of both worlds.
3. It would "redeem" the Switch Lite's (for lack of a better word) "Switch-ness," and even open up the potential for bundles.

Without docking functionality though, you just have #1, and in fact make #2 and #3 worse than they already are by making it difficult to impossible for those who like the mobile end of things to also get the best home experience (transferring saves might work, but not save states) and further diluting the Switch brand identity.

NOTE: I'm not deluded enough to think that just because something "makes sense," it will happen. On the contrary. Lol. That said, to me, this is more or less the only way to launch a console-only Switch without hurting your brand long-term. Or maybe the Switch was just a one-off to get them back on their feet and they plan to go back to split console and handheld development and have long droughts again, just like the good ol' days. Who knows?

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yep, a super dock would be the best scenario. Can’t really rock a Lite and a Switch currently because of how poorly Nintendo handles multiple console ownership - games and sync in particular.

Having a super dock that runs the games and saves on a Switch would solve that.

D.Final

Banned
I mean, a home console only Switch would make sense considering things that Nintendo has said in the past. IIRC they had said they wanted their platforms to be more unified and would like their games to be played on more devices, having a home-console only, a handheld only, and a hybrid between the two could be a smart idea. Three different ways to play Nintendo (and 2nd/3rd party) games on Nintendo consoles but they all share the same library, can get the home-console only crowd and the handheld only crowd along with the people that want the in between. Choose how you want to play.

It is very likely that the strategy is just that.
In order to have 3 alternatives on the future market:

A home-only console.
A portable-only console.
And a hybrid console.

And, in this way, they can continue to receive support from third-party games, without always focusing on porting old generations, or games that are technically, and excessively, castrated, due to the limitations of old hardware.

Hudo

Say what you will about how nonsensical the Switch Lite is (I do... I am nonsensical too, though, since I bought one), but that Yellow one is sexy as all get out.
Yeah, if I were to buy a Power Switch (aka Switch Pro), I would hope that they'll do cool colors like the yellow one as well. I am still regretting getting the gray Switch. I should've gone with the neon blue/red Switch.

A.Romero

It's funny how these leaks usually seem to be about products more similar to what Microsoft or Sony would sell... It's almost like hardcore Nintendo fans really want to dip into modern console gaming but don't dare to try other brands.

Breath of Darkness? Like a gritty adventure game? I bet there are many non Nintendo games that could scratch that itch.

D.Final

Banned
It's funny how these leaks usually seem to be about products more similar to what Microsoft or Sony would sell... It's almost like hardcore Nintendo fans really want to dip into modern console gaming but don't dare to try other brands.

I think a possible, or probable, Nintendo Switch 2 would be able to give enough technical experience, and performance, to make the work of third-party developers easier, as far as the porting of their games on a Nintendo platform is concerned.
(thus avoiding the total and complete downgrade beyond any limit that occurred with games like TW3 on Switch)

A.Romero

I think a possible, or probable, Nintendo Switch 2 would be able to give enough technical experience, and performance, to make the work of third-party developers easier, as far as the porting of their games on a Nintendo platform is concerned.
(thus avoiding the total and complete downgrade beyond any limit that occurred with games like TW3 on Switch)

I don't see why you they would change their strategy. Third parties are not Nintendo's main focus, mainly because Nintendo fans don't get Nintendo consoles to play third party games.

The Next Nintendo Platform, won't be anywhere near powerful as the PS5 or Next Xbox. If anything, it maybe a custom Tegra SoC with Nvidia's help that will be able to run the newest engines. Not sure how powerful it will be, but maybe near PS4 Pro levels? Who knows, it has to be around $300.

Dane

4chan nintendo rumors are sometimes correct, but a Switch 2 like that? Either they are making a return to HD home consoles or its just smokes and mirrors.

I don't see why you they would change their strategy. Third parties are not Nintendo's main focus, mainly because Nintendo fans don't get Nintendo consoles to play third party games.

They are, WiiU is basically known as the console who only Nintendo fans brought and third party support, even when great, didn't sell well.

Nintendo doesn't another console who sells poortly, because that's their business as company, they aren't Sony or Microsoft whose videogames are actually a division of a very big companies and can afford losses. Also, its the only company that profits from consoles sales right on the launch IIRC.

Third party software on switch has been seeing much better results, this in turn, incentives other studios to release alongside the HD consoles and port previously released games.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
Now yes. But years later when that standard is the norm and easy to achieve, it's normal, especially for their games.

Let us know when Nintendo masters 900p and constant 30 fps for real games like Breadth of the Wild... that game still has frame drops even with patches and "Boost" mode.... lol

perhaps my grand kids can play a zelda game in 4k 60 fps on a Nintendo Console...

Zannegan

Breath of Darkness? Like a gritty adventure game? I bet there are many non Nintendo games that could scratch that itch.
This is silly. Most Nintendo fans already have more than one console. They aren't pale, hairless, dwarves in loincloths, afraid of the sun and unwilling or unable to comprehend anything beyond the Nintendo ecosystem. I mean, the author of this rumor maybe, but I'd hardly call them representative of even the most hardcore Nintendo fans.

Also, your use of "modern" here is a little anachronistic, no?

Last edited:
Let us know when Nintendo masters 900p and constant 30 fps for real games like Breadth of the Wild... that game still has frame drops even with patches and "Boost" mode.... lol

perhaps my grand kids can play a zelda game in 4k 60 fps on a Nintendo Console...
When quantum computers become mainstream, then Nintendo will be able to offer 4k60 with a mobile SoC.

Would PS4 Pro/XB1X be able to run Zelda BoTW at 4k60?

A.Romero

This is silly. Most Nintendo fans already have more than one console. They aren't pale, hairless, dwarves in loincloths, afraid of the sun and unwilling or unable to comprehend anything beyond the Nintendo ecosystem. I mean, the author of this rumor maybe, but I'd hardly call them representative of even the most hardcore Nintendo fans.

Also, your use of "modern" here is a little anachronistic, no?

OK, not all. Just the ones that start these rumors without monetary interest and the ones that believe it. Otherwise why would they care? There are options to play adventure games at 4k/60 without waiting until 2021.

Most people that wish this was real is just because they refuse to play other consoles.

You are right about my use of modern console gaming. Cutting edge console gaming would probably work better.

Zannegan

OK, not all. Just the ones that start these rumors without monetary interest and the ones that believe it. Otherwise why would they care? There are options to play adventure games at 4k/60 without waiting until 2021.

Most people that wish this was real is just because they refuse to play other consoles.

You are right about my use of modern console gaming. Cutting edge console gaming would probably work better.
It's a nice, clean explanation, sure, but most reductive arguments are. Sometimes people just want things, even weird things, and wanting Nintendo to play catchup isn't all that weird (even if I think it's a terrible business move). Hell, there are options to play these games at 4K/60 now if people want thanks to PC emulation.

Cutting edge? Not since launch and even then, not really. Objectively, Switch is more cutting edge than either the PS4 or XB1 (if not their revisions). I've got hopes for next year though. ^_^ Sony must be pushing out some edges if they need a cooling system that robust

As for those HD Zelda kooks, not all adventure games are created equal. Saying that one go round with Horizon (or, more likely, Darksiders) will cure them of that UHD Zelda itch is silly. It's the same paranoid perspective that says Zelda (or Halo, or Uncharted, or Marvel Movie 17) gets an unfair score boost because the editors are all blind fanboys or, even better, because actual money changed hands.

Last edited:

A.Romero

It's a nice, clean explanation, sure, but most reductive arguments are. Sometimes people just want things, even weird things, and wanting Nintendo to play catchup isn't all that weird (even if I think it's a terrible business move). Hell, there are options to play these games at 4K/60 now if people want thanks to PC emulation.

Cutting edge? Not since launch and even then, not really. I've got hopes for next year though. ^_^ Sony must be pushing out some edges if they need a cooling system that robust

As for those HD Zelda kooks, not all adventure games are created equal. Saying that one go round with Horizon (or, more likely, Darksiders) will cure them of that UHD Zelda itch is silly. It's the same paranoid perspective that says Zelda (or Halo, or Uncharted, or Marvel Movie 17) gets an unfair score boost because the editors are all blind fanboys or, even better, because actual money changed hands.

Are there more cutting edge consoles than the x or the pro in the market right now?

I know pc is where is at for cutting edge (it's my main platform) but talking consoles Microsoft and Sony (in that order) have the upper hand.

I know Zelda has its own charm and not all games are equal. That's why they don't need to run 4k/60 to be well reviewed/liked. I see no other reason why these rumors would start.

Well balanced gamers that enjoy whatever platforms they like for their advantages are too busy playing games to be transcribing the latest scoop from their uncle that works at Nintendo.

Zannegan

Are there more cutting edge consoles than the x or the pro in the market right now?

I know pc is where is at for cutting edge (it's my main platform) but talking consoles Microsoft and Sony (in that order) have the upper hand.

I know Zelda has its own charm and not all games are equal. That's why they don't need to run 4k/60 to be well reviewed/liked. I see no other reason why these rumors would start.

Well balanced gamers that enjoy whatever platforms they like for their advantages are too busy playing games to be transcribing the latest scoop from their uncle that works at Nintendo.
You. I like you.

I edited in a little pot-stirring line about the Switch being more modern than the base PS4/XB1 (thanks to process node and architecture, etc), but it came too late. And really, I'm just being pedantic. I know what you mean when you say modern.

I guess some fans want their fav company to be everything to everyone at all times, and that ain't Nintendo. Nintendo, for better and for worse, is quirky as hell. If fans can't accept that, then I agree they should try to find some other series on some other machine to fill that Zelda void. Nintendo will only disappoint them.

Consensus?

A.Romero

You. I like you.

I edited in a little pot-stirring line about the Switch being more modern than the base PS4/XB1 (thanks to process node and architecture, etc), but it came too late. And really, I'm just being pedantic. I know what you mean when you say modern.

I guess some fans want their fav company to be everything to everyone at all times, and that ain't Nintendo. Nintendo, for better and for worse, is quirky as hell. If fans can't accept that, then I agree they should try to find some other series on some other machine to fill that Zelda void. Nintendo will only disappoint them.

Consensus?
Totally!

I remember that guy, had to unsubscribe from him because it was just the same thing everyday. Nintendoomed, sony announcing a new PS Vita that will destroy the Switch! what a joke.

Edit: Oh damn, just looked at his youtube channel, didn't think he made video's anymore. Wow the title of the vid:
"More Powerful Nintendo Switch Now Nearly Confirmed and It's Right On Time"
How are people still subscribed to this guy?
Indeed, I also stopped watching his videos as well. He's become obsessed talking about power a lot and now his latest is about Microsoft's custom SQ1 chip and how Nintendo could use something similar. He doesn't care about how it will affect development or even pricing, he lives in a fantasy that Nintendo would one day release a very powerful Switch all because the Tegra X1 is outdated.

Talking to him is a pain in the ass, as I made my own prediction that Nintendo is making a custom chip with Nvidia that would include Ray Tracing cores and he laughed. I know how much tax RT cores take, but come on, 2022 would mean that Nvidia has a matured design.

Zannegan

Indeed, I also stopped watching his videos as well. He's become obsessed talking about power a lot and now his latest is about Microsoft's custom SQ1 chip and how Nintendo could use something similar. He doesn't care about how it will affect development or even pricing, he lives in a fantasy that Nintendo would one day release a very powerful Switch all because the Tegra X1 is outdated.

Talking to him is a pain in the ass, as I made my own prediction that Nintendo is making a custom chip with Nvidia that would include Ray Tracing cores and he laughed. I know how much tax RT cores take, but come on, 2022 would mean that Nvidia has a matured design.

That would be super interesting to see someone try, and it would at least justify (in some way) sticking with Tegra when NVidia seems to have no further interest in developing it.

I'll admit I am pretty ignorant on the subject, but I wonder if changing the percentage of RTX cores to be much larger than in the 20XX would allow a relatively low-powered console in all other areas (okay, maybe not the CPU) to have full-on raytracing as its next gen hook. People oohed and aahed over RT Minecraft after all. Could you deliver a "1080p console" with actual, doable, no-performance-hit, realtime raytracing at $400?

(I know this goes against the rumor's Zelda at 4k/60 line, but just for argument's sake, could it be done?)

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned

I think that, if this strategy turns out to be true, Nintendo Switch 2 would propose itself as an enhanced Switch console, able to run better all the games previously released on Nintendo Switch, and all future games.
Taking into account how third-party games run on today's Nintendo Switch, such as TW3, and considering that PS5 and Xbox Next will be released next year, Nintendo's only way to maintain a vague support for third-party games is to to upgrade the current console with Nintendo Switch 2, so that future portings of upcoming games (such as Cyberpunk 2077) are really possible without incredible exaggerated compromises.

Cutting edge? Not since launch and even then, not really. Objectively, Switch is more cutting edge than either the PS4 or XB1 (if not their revisions). I've got hopes for next year though. ^_^ Sony must be pushing out some edges if they need a cooling system that robust

I don't use emulation for games.

So, a Nintendo Switch 2 that allows me to reach 4K and 60 fps in Nintendo's exclusive games, like Zelda (and in this case even for Zelda Breath of the Wild and Zelda Breath of the Darkness), and in third-party games that are brought to the console, would be nice to have with a Nintendo Switch 2.
(although only as a home console)

Last edited:

Zannegan

I don't use emulation for games.

So, a Nintendo Switch 2 that allows me to reach 4K and 60 fps in Nintendo's exclusive games, like Zelda (and in this case even for Zelda Breath of the Wild and Zelda Breath of the Darkness), and in third-party games that are brought to the console, would be nice to have with a Nintendo Switch 2.
(although only as a home console)
Neither do I. Sorry, I can see how that quote in isolation might look like I'm trying to invalidate this rumored Switch 2 by saying it serves no purpose because emulation exists--Not at all.

In context, my point was that people want Zelda in higher fidelity, not just any old adventure game with a gritty aesthetic in 4K/60fps, which was all part of a larger point saying that I can see why some people would want this console (even if I think it's not a great idea as described).

But the whole point is kind of moot now, because A.Romero A.Romero and I pretty much came to the conclusion that we basically agreed: fans can want whatever they want, but they should try to accept companies (Nintendo especially) for what they are, or they risk being disappointed gen after gen.

On third party ports though, again, unless this Switch 2 is meant to be the start of a new generation, its power does not help Nintendo's 3rd party port situation one bit. And if it is meant to be a new generation, why on earth are they building it on a foundation of jury-rigged last-gen tech when so much better will be available for cheaper in 2021?

You can tell me the answer is, "Because Nintendo," and I'll believe you, but that doesn't make it a smart approach. *shrug*

That would be super interesting to see someone try, and it would at least justify (in some way) sticking with Tegra when NVidia seems to have no further interest in developing it.

I'll admit I am pretty ignorant on the subject, but I wonder if changing the percentage of RTX cores to be much larger than in the 20XX would allow a relatively low-powered console in all other areas (okay, maybe not the CPU) to have full-on raytracing as its next gen hook. People oohed and aahed over RT Minecraft after all. Could you deliver a "1080p console" with actual, doable, no-performance-hit, realtime raytracing at $400?

(I know this goes against the rumor's Zelda at 4k/60 line, but just for argument's sake, could it be done?)
It was just my wild guess and speculation as Nintendo and Nvidia will continue to be partners going forward. Nvidia is very on Ray Tracing and would at least put some sort of weaker variant on the new SoC, like it would be activated while docked, but turned off undocked to save battery life. Just a guess

Forgot to point one more thing to you Zannegan Zannegan Nvidia nearly gave up on Tegra for entertainment purposes and now only focus Tegra on Smart cars. Now that Nintendo Switch is a success, it helped Nvidia boost Tegra sales in revenue. The new found confidence working with Nintendo will help make a new tegra for next gen gaming.

JimiNutz

Banned
All I care about is the flexible nature of it “play on the tv, or on the patio, or on an airplane.”

I don’t want to go back to tv or portable only restrictions

This is the same for me but I would support separate home console and portable hardware so long as the game catalogue was exactly the same on both and it was seamless to play at home on the more powerful hardware and then pick up exactly where you left off on the portable hardware.

Could they theoretically go in the Super Dock direction in the future with something along the lines of Thunderbolt or USB 4.0 (or even USB 3 Gen 2 x 2, if at half bandwidth)?

D.Final

Banned
Neither do I. Sorry, I can see how that quote in isolation might look like I'm trying to invalidate this rumored Switch 2 by saying it serves no purpose because emulation exists--Not at all.

In context, my point was that people want Zelda in higher fidelity, not just any old adventure game with a gritty aesthetic in 4K/60fps, which was all part of a larger point saying that I can see why some people would want this console (even if I think it's not a great idea as described).

But the whole point is kind of moot now, because A.Romero A.Romero and I pretty much came to the conclusion that we basically agreed: fans can want whatever they want, but they should try to accept companies (Nintendo especially) for what they are, or they risk being disappointed gen after gen.

On third party ports though, again, unless this Switch 2 is meant to be the start of a new generation, its power does not help Nintendo's 3rd party port situation one bit. And if it is meant to be a new generation, why on earth are they building it on a foundation of jury-rigged last-gen tech when so much better will be available for cheaper in 2021?

You can tell me the answer is, "Because Nintendo," and I'll believe you, but that doesn't make it a smart approach. *shrug*

Probably, or surely, Nintendo has realized that with the Switch brand it has created a success.
And therefore, as a company, they will want to capitalize on this success by supporting the Nintendo Switch brand for many years, probably.
(I hypothesize that Switch, as a brand, could last even until 2025)

But at the same time, Nintendo will not want to go overboard at the hardware level, and this is also to stem the possible future abandonment of triple A third party developers and their port for Switch.
(after the release of PS5 and Xbox Next)

These 2 reasons are probably the only reasons for Nintendo's continued use of the Switch brand.
Combining it with the terminology "Switch family".

Arriving, in the future, even being able to release consoles like, for example:

Switch Lite XL
Switch 2
Switch Go
New Nintendo Switch
New Nintendo Switch 2 Pro
Etc....

And Nintendo knows how strong the Switch brand is today.
(before the nexgen of Sony and Microsoft comes)
And for this reason it will try to push the potential of the Switch brand as far as possible and in as many directions as possible.
(even into the home console only market, probably)
Because, alternatively, (if you really want to compete seriously in a new technical/playful way, and with new innovative ideas for the public), Nintendo should create a real new nextgen console hardware.
And, at the moment, I think it's probably not their intention to do it.
(I think a real nextgen for Nintendo, with a new original brand, will be seen around 2024/25, probably)

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Carmel is a bit of a weird CPU choice for a console tbh. Would I like to see Xavier, yeah, sure, but the last several rounds have taught me to keep minimum hardware expectations for Nintendo. If it's a die shrunk TX1 on 7nm that's clocked higher I'd make myself ok with that, Xavier would be a treat.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Obligatory:

2ea.png
I remember how people were banned in old Gaf, back in 2016, because they were “attracted” to Audrey.

PrimeX

Don't own a Switch yet and all these rumours about a more powerful one drive me crazy. Have no idea if I should wait past black friday or not

Last edited:
This is beyond ridiculous. I'm not even holding my breath for Nintendo to ever release a version of the Switch that can handle 1080/60 in docked mode (which actually would be perfectly enough, in my opinion) for their first party games. Is even the Switch UI rendered at 1080p today?

Clearly, resolution is on the bottom of the priorities barrel for them. If they're that indifferent about 1080p resolution in 2019 still, imagine when they would start caring about 4k then? In 10 years? Is that even enough?

Last edited:
Carmel is a bit of a weird CPU choice for a console tbh. Would I like to see Xavier, yeah, sure, but the last several rounds have taught me to keep minimum hardware expectations for Nintendo. If it's a die shrunk TX1 on 7nm that's clocked higher I'd make myself ok with that, Xavier would be a treat.
Carmel CPU is still like Denver?

Also, how high clocks should we expect with Tegra X1 at 7nm? 2 GHz CPU and 1 GHz GPU would be nuts, as long as games get patched (otherwise there's no point).

I think we would also need higher clocked DRAM to feed those hungry cores. Something like LPDDR4X/LPDDR5 maybe. 25.6GB/s ain't gonna cut it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom