• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch accessories (Hori/Officially licensed by Nintendo)

I'm out of the loop because my last Nintendo console was the Gamecube, but why?

How is it so hard to understand lan line speeds are more consistent than wireless.

I work in IT and in 2017 this is fucking ludicrous.
Because most people don't care about Ethernet. It is what it is.

How is it so hard to understand lan line speeds are more consistent than wireless.

You realize every time you say "it's 2017" you're only countering yourself?

The gamecube also had an ethernet adapter

If you want ethernet that badly get an adapter, for the rest of use that wont use it don't force it on us

Sendou

As long as you can use the dongle I've had since Wii personally not an issue. But also asking for a port on the dock isn't so crazy either.

-shadow-

Getting the screen protector day one, will see what I'll get later down the road. Won't have many games at launch, so might as well wait a while before getting such a bundle case.

Papacheeks

Banned
I don't know what "it's 2017" means. More and more devices are just wireless now. It was stranger in 2006 when the Wii didn't have one.

And yet this is both a hand held and a home console and they can't put a ethernet port in the base? Sony, Microsoft, hell even the fucking steam link have a ethernet port.

Even the new Nvidia fucking shield has a fucking ethernet port, so no I don't get any of you in this thread thinking it's acceptable.Everything in my place is hardwired but mobile devices.

I want fast downloads ethernet is still the way to go for those type of things.

At work so can't load images: please tell me there's a switchable RF adaptor for this thing

Ninetendo pls channel 4 on my TV doesn't work

And yet this is both a hand held and a home console and they can't put a ethernet port in the base? Sony, Microsoft, hell even the fucking steam link have a ethernet port.

Even the new Nvidia fucking shield has a fucking ethernet port, so no I don't get any of you in this thread thinking it's acceptable.Everything in my place is hardwired but mobile devices.

Then buy the Ethernet port adapter...I know mind blowing, right?

At work so can't load images: please tell me there's a switchable RF adaptor for this thing

Ninetendo pls channel 4 on my TV doesn't work
Lmao 😂

Papacheeks

Banned
As long as you can use the dongle I've had since Wii personally not an issue. But also asking for a port on the dock isn't so crazy either.

Pretty much my entire point.

Then buy the Ethernet port adapter...I know mind blowing, right?

I shouldn't have to fucking buy a adapter for hardline ethernet when it's almost a standard in most electronics now outside of mobile devices. If this was only a hand held I wouldn't have issue because wifi makes sense for mobile only devices but this device is both.

I spending more money for something that is in nvidia's new shield, PS4, XBOX.

Matt

So get an adapter. There's nothing wrong with wishing one was built in, but it's not strange that it isn't.

Fight stick is obviously for pokken.

Is it? This is Pokken's official arcade stick/machine:

Pokk%C3%A9n-Tournament-Arcade-Controller-4.jpg

The Hori stick seems far more suited for something like Tekken.

Air

Banned

Noone is arguing otherwise. But wifi is more prevalent and Nintendo prefers wireless connections. The anger would be acceptable 10 years ago, but this is not a crazy issue where the outrage is necessary. It's simple math here. Things get dropped in favor of other stuff. If you want a wired connection you still have that option.

Plum

...then pay the extra $20 or so for an adapter if it's so important. I like that you mention the Steam Link having one as some kind of "got ya!" argument when that device's entire purpose is to provide a live HD stream of 1080p/60fps gaming

Menitta

Hmmm. I hope the Switch has its fair share of fighting games other than Smash and Pokken to warrant an arcade stick.

Is it? This is Pokken's official arcade stick/machine:

Pokk%C3%A9n-Tournament-Arcade-Controller-4.jpg

The Hori stick seems far more suited for something like Tekken.

I also hope the USB pad for Pokken on Wii U works too if there's a port. No reason it shouldn't.

Soroc

no gigabit ethernet in 2017 for heavens sake!

Not the end of the world but I have had issues with AC Wifi as well, I've moved almost everything of mine to gigabit ethernet and have never looked back.

I can understand the complaints though, even with an option you are still losing a USB port b/c of it. How many USB ports are on the dock, 2? If there was like 4 or 6 USB ports probably wouldn't be a big deal, but 2 ports is limiting.

Rodin

Those look ace. Damn shame Samus doesn't get the same love. :(
Yeah it's sad, i'd spend so much money on Metroid accessories.

The middle one comes with the screen protector and game case. So just get that one.

Wish they just sold the pouch as I don't want the game case and am rather indifferent to screen protectors.

I saw it but i don't think it's the high quality one, plus having a backup is always a good thing.

Pretty much every internet connected multimedia device related to home entertainment (Smart TVs/Blu ray players/game systems/consoles) have an Ethernet port in them.

The ones that don't are usually due to size restrictions (phones/tablets) but their docks often do (See: Surface Pro)

It's not a huge crime to omit it but "it's 2017 no one uses Ethernet" is just an excuse for leaving something out that truthfully would cost them cents to throw in. There are all different types of home arrangements and in many situations the wifi connectivity may be poor or significantly compromised compared to a hardwired solution, especially when you are dealing with high performance connections like 100MBPS+ (if you don't have 5ghz wifi support, then you quite possibly get far less than that which is where cat5 saves the day)

So no it's not a deal breaker but it's also not really nothing either. It's just a bit baffling.

antonz

Hmmm. I hope the Switch has its fair share of fighting games other than Smash and Pokken to warrant an arcade stick.

Tekkens Producer did say the release date would be announced at a January Event and as far as I have heard I do not think there are any other big events this month

no gigabit ethernet in 2017 for heavens sake!

Not the end of the world but I have had issues with AC Wifi as well, I've moved almost everything of mine to gigabit ethernet and have never looked back.

I can understand the complaints though, even with an option you are still losing a USB port b/c of it. How many USB ports are on the dock, 2? If there was like 4 or 6 USB ports probably wouldn't be a big deal, but 2 ports is limiting.

We'll find out how many USBs ports on thrusday. so far, we know it has at least 2

Calm down, buddy.

ZeroX03

Banned
How many people don't realize Pokken and Smash don't use an arcade stick jeez?

Also it's 2017, there's leaks, patents, Wii and Wii U all telling you you should've never expected Ethernet.

Baleoce

How many people buy Ethernet dongles for their MacBook? The point is Nintendo has tried to move away from wires since the GameCube (wavebird). Their consoles aren't laptops or PCs and they generally have kept their products as wireless as possible. There's no reason why they would backtrack on convenience. There's also the fact that if a power user wants it they can buy an adaptor, so the complaining is unnecessary and just for the sake of complaining

I mean, I feel the bolded just isn't true at all.

Menitta

Neither of those use arcade sticks.

I'm willing to bet that Tekken 7 will be a launch game.

Oh I know. I'm just saying other fighting games. Though I'd love to try Pokken and Smash on stick lol.

I can see Tekken 7 on Switch. How well did TTT2 do on Wii U?

The Shield tablet doesn't have an Ethernet port. It uses an adapter.

rmzAM3V.png

Unless you're expecting an Ethernet port on the device itself, it has to be routed through the USB-C port just like the video signal. So I guess you want the adapter to be built into the dock, possibly making it more expensive for everybody who's not using that functionality?

Papacheeks

Banned
Pretty much every internet connected multimedia device related to home entertainment (Smart TVs/Blu ray players/game systems/consoles) have an Ethernet port in them.

The ones that don't are usually due to size restrictions (phones/tablets) but their docks often do (See: Surface Pro)

It's not a huge crime to omit it but "it's 2017 no one uses Ethernet" is just an excuse for leaving something out that truthfully would cost them cents to throw in. There are all different types of home arrangements and in many situations the wifi connectivity may be poor or significantly compromised compared to a hardwired solution, especially when you are dealing with high performance connections like 100MBPS+ (if you don't have 5ghz wifi support, then you quite possibly get far less than that which is where cat5 saves the day)

So no it's not a deal breaker but it's also not really nothing either. It's just a bit baffling.

Thanks banana the dog pile was fucking ridiculous in here. I agree is it was just the tablet I would understand wifi only, but to not include something so mainstream in 2017 is legit got me upset because i have to pay an extra 20 bucks for something that other companies include as a standard.

I don't know what "it's 2017" means. More and more devices are just wireless now. It was stranger in 2006 when the Wii didn't have one.

But the apps that those devices use don't require 10s of GBs of space and completely lag-free internet. It's a legit complaint. Personally, I don't see it being that big of a deal, but I don't see how it would hurt the console if the dock had a port. It IS 2017. Being a home console and NOT having an ethernet port is more baffling than it being included.

Phu

Banned
Comparing an ethernet port to "fax machine" is beyond stupid.

There's no question that an ethernet port provides more reliable internet connectivity than wifi.

I mean I get like sub-20 ping and the connection never drops. It's 2017, wifi ain't too bad.

Interesting that Zelda is the only design they have. Almost gives me some hope the game might launch alongside the console. Though I would also expect something Splatoon, maybe that isn't a launch game then. New Mario renders probably are completely not allowed at this point, even if that's also a big launch rumor.

rrs

where can I put in my xband cart so I can play online with the switch

also y'all know you can just use the wii's lan adapter or cheap copies with the switch

Top Bottom