• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Achieves Its Best Week of Sales Ever in the U.S.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Black Friday success press release just dropped a bit ago:

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Over Thanksgiving week (Nov. 24 to Nov. 30), the Nintendo Switch and Nintendo Switch Lite systems sold a combined total of more than 830,000 units in the U.S., according to internal data. This ranks as the single best week of U.S. sales in Nintendo Switch history. These results were bolstered in part by the recently introduced Nintendo Switch Lite system and a variety of Black Friday offers, such as a Nintendo Switch bundle that included a full game download of the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe game at no additional charge. Total sales of Nintendo Switch in the Americas have reached 17.5 million units.

Total sales of Nintendo Switch in the Americas have reached 17.5 million units. (Photo: Business Wire)
Additionally, Cyber Monday broke records as well, becoming the best one yet for Nintendo Switch.

“Holiday shoppers see the value of Nintendo Switch, which offers a vast library of games for every type of player,” said Nick Chavez, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “Whether shopping for the ideal gift or picking one up for yourself, the Nintendo Switch family of systems provides options that fit every play style.”

In addition to hardware, Nintendo Switch software also sold well over Thanksgiving week. In only a few weeks since launch, the Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield games have now sold a combined total of more than 3 million in the Americas. Other Nintendo Switch games also passed new life-to-date sales milestones in the Americas, including Mario Kart 8 Deluxe at 8.5 million,Super Smash Bros. Ultimate at 8 million, Super Mario Odyssey at 6.5 million and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe at 1.5 million.*

To see what systems, accessories and games Nintendo has to offer this holiday season, visit https://happyholidays.nintendo.com/.

Remember that Nintendo Switch features parental controls that let adults manage the content their children can access. For more information about other features, visithttps://www.nintendo.com/switch/.

*All sales figures from Nintendo internal data.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Nintendo Switch™ system and the Nintendo 3DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 4.7 billion video games and more than 750 million hardware units globally, including Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo DS™ family of systems, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™, Nintendo GameCube™, Wii™ and Wii U™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names, such as Mario, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Zelda and Pokémon. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo’s operations in the Americas. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company’s website at https://www.nintendo.com/.

Pokémon Sword & Shield over 3 million units sold already... damn.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Black Friday deals / discounts were pretty modest too, at least as far as I saw. So that's pretty impressive with no major pricedrop since launch.

This is a good point... I wonder how much the Switch Lite units contributed to this number. It is kind of crazy that the base Switch is still sold for $300.

Mista

Banned
Nintendo also announced several updated Switch game lifetime sales numbers for the Americas, including:
  • Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield – three million units
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 8.5 million units
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – eight million units
  • Super Mario Odyssey – 6.5 million units
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 1.5 million units
Total sales of Switch hardware in the Americas have surpassed 17.5 million units.

This is beautiful because the Switch had one of the best years ever for first-party support on any console so they've earned this. The hardware is great, but they delivered big times on the games as well. It's a victory for the industry. I just hope Nintendo doesn't coast and the numbers will continue to be expressive.

PocoJoe

Banned
After release of lite, switch sales cant be compared to home consoles anymore.

It should be compared to wii+3ds numbers, so in that light it sells badly, yes?

I'm sure that makes sense in your head brother, but it doesn't work like that. The Lite is basically a different SKU, not a separate console. Do you count the PS4 and PS4 Pro as two different consoles and assume they're doing poorly because they don't do PS2+PS3 numbers?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Switch is unstoppable. Nintendo will push out at least one more "full" model and at least one more "handheld" model by the time the generation is done, and I expect it to easily surpass the Wii, maybe even surpass the DS.

belmarduk

Switch is unstoppable. Nintendo will push out at least one more "full" model and at least one more "handheld" model by the time the generation is done, and I expect it to easily surpass the Wii, maybe even surpass the DS.

That's kind of a high bar. The Switch has sold 41 million and The Wii sold over 100 million. What games are coming out in the next few years that could justify 60 million in sales?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That's kind of a high bar. The Switch has sold 41 million and The Wii sold over 100 million. What games are coming out in the next few years that could justify 60 million in sales?
Fair question.

BotW 2 will justify another 5-10m sales, easily. If there's a true-blue Mario Kart 9 I could see that getting a lot of sales. I don't know how Ring Fit Adventure performed but Nintendo could have more "lifestyle" titles that end up surprising everyone and selling a lot. More Mario will sell. More Pokemon will sell. This is just the first-party stuff, so perhaps some third-party games will hit the system and also cause a big stir. I think Nintendo will also have a steady trickle of 2-5m sellers such as Kirby, Luigi's Mansion, ARMS, Link's Awakening Remake, etc.

The slow buildup of evergreen titles will result in some big sales in the next few years as the price of the console drops (a $200 option is now available, which will help).

Bodatan

Banned

Why did you use Wii instead of WiiU? Wii wasn't even in the same gen as 3ds 🤔

Should we compare PS4+pro(100m units) vs PS2+PS3(240m units) as well?

Bodatan

Banned
Don't worry about the next 10 million sales for now because the next quarter report is going to be around that number so Let's focus on the next 50m sales.

-Price drop
Switch is still selling at the original MSRP nearly 3 years after the launched of the system.

-Continous output of system sellers.
Animal Crossing, Botw 2, Odyssey 2, next Pokemon remake and mainline are going to do that job.

-Hybrid Concept vs traditional Concept
Both Sony and Microsoft aren't going to release the same type of machine as Switch in 2020 so they're not directly competing in the same market. That's probably going to effect Nintendo Switch momentum for a little during the launch window but in the long run it will be minuscule at best similar to PS4 and XB1 vs Switch situation where a lot of people were questioning Nintendo for releasing underpowered Hardware against those two consoles.

TheContact

Yeah I was disappointed the Switch Lite didn't go on a black friday sale (I was going to pick one up if so) but now I know why. They don't need to go on sale.

iconmaster

Banned
Flaunt it, Nintendo.

4516dc042fb406dc9d934d828c125524.gif

SleepDoctor

Banned
Ive had no interest in the Switch, imo its overpriced. But.....

Dude that works at my gym told he's selling his for the Ps5 and said he'll sell it to me for whatever gamestop offers him.

Its the Diablo edition and with 5 games. How much do you guys think its worth. Is the battery life really that bad on older models?

I don't know what 5 games they are yet but i bet Diablo 3 is one of them.

Ive had no interest in the Switch, imo its overpriced. But.....

Dude that works at my gym told he's selling his for the Ps5 and said he'll sell it to me for whatever gamestop offers him.

Its the Diablo edition and with 5 games. How much do you guys think its worth. Is the battery life really that bad on older models?

I don't know what 5 games they are yet but i bet Diablo 3 is one of them.

Don't buy used handhelds/smartphones, ew. And if there's any problems, going to the gym will be uncomfortable. Don't do it.

Switch is worth its 300 bucks. If that's too much, that's ok, too.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Don't buy used handhelds/smartphones, ew. And if there's any problems, going to the gym will be uncomfortable. Don't do it.

Switch is worth its 300 bucks. If that's too much, that's ok, too.

According to him its barely used. But i definitely see your point about if there's any problems.

HeresJohnny

People realised it is the console with the best looking version of Alien Isolation.
Would've totally bought it too if it wasn't download only. How stupid of them.

Congrats to them on the sales, it's a great little system.

Last edited:
Nintendo have always impressed me with how they can balls up a console or game and within no time at all, bounce back and smash the records.

Gamecube > Wii
Wii U > Switch
Etc.

Fair play to them

goldenpp72

Fair question.

BotW 2 will justify another 5-10m sales, easily. If there's a true-blue Mario Kart 9 I could see that getting a lot of sales. I don't know how Ring Fit Adventure performed but Nintendo could have more "lifestyle" titles that end up surprising everyone and selling a lot. More Mario will sell. More Pokemon will sell. This is just the first-party stuff, so perhaps some third-party games will hit the system and also cause a big stir. I think Nintendo will also have a steady trickle of 2-5m sellers such as Kirby, Luigi's Mansion, ARMS, Link's Awakening Remake, etc.

The slow buildup of evergreen titles will result in some big sales in the next few years as the price of the console drops (a $200 option is now available, which will help).

BOTW2 won't command more sales just like Halo Reach didn't after Halo 3, that's not how this works. Mario Kart 9 also will not exist on Switch as MK8 keeps selling.

The Switch has plenty of miles left to sell though. Animal Crossing in itself will push a large amount of new users as it will likely sell over 15 million copies in its life. You also have plenty of other IP Nintendo hasn't brought out yet that could keep driving sales. Stuff like Metroid, a Splatoon sequel, a new 2d Mario game, etc, would all add up.

People also seem to forget that Nintendo has yet to release a mid gen like remodel and has also not dropped the price on the main system. Hell this bundle they sold on black Friday was literally the same exact price and bundle as last year, even including the old lower battery life model. Nintendo hasn't yet brought out what would be common mid life guns to keep sales going because they don't need to. The Switch should cross the 100 million mark but beating the DS is not likely at play here, not without some revolutionary effort at this point.

Last edited:

belmarduk

I can see two rather far-fetched options:

1) A ground-breaking new Mario game that kinda re-invents the wheel that isn´t Odyssey 2.
2) GameFreak actually get their grip together by developing the Pokemon game everyone wants and which the world needs by now.

Yeah, I could see both of those selling a lot of Switches. Also BOTW2 looks pretty enticing from what little we've seen and could have massive crossover success from folks who don't normally play Nintendo games.

Humdinger

-Continous output of system sellers.
Animal Crossing, Botw 2, Odyssey 2, next Pokemon remake and mainline are going to do that job.

-Hybrid Concept vs traditional Concept
Both Sony and Microsoft aren't going to release the same type of machine as Switch in 2020 so they're not directly competing in the same market. That's probably going to effect Nintendo Switch momentum for a little during the launch window but in the long run it will be minuscule at best similar to PS4 and XB1 vs Switch situation where a lot of people were questioning Nintendo for releasing underpowered Hardware against those two consoles.

I'm trying to figure out how much Switch sales are eating into PS4 or Xbox sales. My hunch is, "not a lot," but it's hard to know for sure.

I might pick one up eventually, but I'm not that big a fan of Nintendo games. Zelda, yes, but not so much the rest.

Top Bottom