• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch could eventually support external USB drive. No limit on MicroSD size

CaVaYeRo

Just got this from our guy currently at the London event on storage options:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/...pliar+con+discos+duros+USB,+hasta+2TB+via+SD/

So, in short:

- Cannot write on game cards (not even for game saves, it seems), all goes on the internal 32GB flash memory.
- Expanded storage via microSD already taking up to 2 TB, even if nobody will have those cards at home at launch.
- The system is actually ready to take external USB drives for additional storage, but as it'd be via those ports on the dock, you wouldn't be able to take games with you, so Nintendo is still looking at it and thus this option won't be active at launch.

Here's those two USB 2.0 ports on the side of the dock:

_1975573b.jpg

DatAhmedz

USB 2.0? :/

There's a USB 3.0 port on the back of the dock next to the power and HDMI ports:

EY3ry10.jpg

If they could pull off a quick and easy way to transfer between an external HDD and system storage/microSD for digital games/content, it could work really well.

This is fantastic news. Portable hard drives for those who can't wait. High capacity SD cards for those who can wait as SD card prices drop fairly quickly.

KORNdoggy

cool, i'll just add an extra £70 to the growing costs of this console...

also, yet another feature not active at launch. can someone explain why this thing is even releasing in march?

EDarkness

Awesome. I don't like USB 2.0 ports, but it'll be nice to have HDD support. I'm okay with waiting until they update the OS to allow it. I'll get a generic SD card in the meantime.

EDIT: USB 3.0 in the back? Okay, it's all good now. Whew. I feel better now.

I assume it'll still be power limited like wii u? where you need to have either external power supply or y cable so that no data corruption... or switch usb ports are better powered this time?

Supporting up to 2TB micro SD cards is great, don't think I'll need an external HD now, as they only games I download anyway are download exclusives. If that ever fills up a 128GB micro sd card, I suspect 256 will be cheap by then anyway.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
- The system is actually ready to take external USB drives for additional storage, but as it'd be via those ports on the dock, you wouldn't be able to take games with you, so Nintendo is still looking at it and thus this option won't be active at launch.

That's Nintendo alright. Fuck options and fuck you.

Just got this from our guy currently at the London event on storage options:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/...pliar+con+discos+duros+USB,+hasta+2TB+via+SD/

So, in short:

- Cannot write on game cards (not even for game saves, it seems), all goes on the internal 32GB flash memory.
- Expanded storage via microSD already taking up to 2 TB, even if nobody will have those cards at home at launch.

_1975573b.jpg

Gracias Caballero. I needed this.

Is there a headphone jack on the dock, or usable on the console? If not I will need to buy a TV. Was going to connect it to a monitor without internal speakers.

jonno394

Damn they weren't wrong when peeps said the dock would offer very little processing power... looks like it barely does anything. Hope they expand the capabilities into the future. So much wasted space!

It has an extra fan though to allow overclocking right?... Right???

2TB SD cards exist? And I thought it was micro SD.

No, largest is 512GB (for standard SD though), and 256GB for micro - although sandisk should have a 1TB standard SD card out soon as they demoed it last year.

It's 2TB because 2TB is the theoretical maximum of the SDXC standard.

Neoxon

Up to 2TB MicroSD? Do those even exist?

EDIT: Never mind, I was too slow.
Yeah. 512GB is the largest capacity on store shelves right now, but we should expect 1 & 2TB to be available for purchase in the near future (more so 1TB, which I believe was demoed back in 2016).

No, largest is 512GB (for standard SD though), and 256GB for micro - although sandisk should have a 1TB standard SD card out soon as they demoed it last year.

It's 2TB because 2TB is the theoretical maximum of the SDXC standard.
Yup

jonno394

The resolutions are better docked, from what I've heard talked about on here but still. There's still 2/3rds there they could've suped up the console with. :'(

I know. Sorry i was just joking about all the prereveal hype about all the extra stuff ppl thought the dock did.

Occam

The system is actually ready to take external USB drives for additional storage, but as it'd be via those ports on the dock, you wouldn't be able to take games with you, so Nintendo is still looking at it and thus this option won't be active at launch.

So it's not ready.

psyfi

Banned
Does the Switch dock have an extra cooling fan? I saw people talking about this before, but I'm not sure if I've seen confirmation.

ggx2ac

Thraktor's speculation was on the money, serial transmission for the cartridge meant faster read speeds but it would have been very expensive to add a memory controller and flash storage into a game card. Since the Switch has 32GB of storage, it became likely it would use that to save data as opposed to making game cards expensive with having flash storage.

And about the external USB drives for additional storage, I still think it's going to be similar to backing up data on your PC with the 3DS SD card, instead with the dock it probably makes transfer quicker if there's a good UI to sort through game data.

random25

Good that it's future-proof when it comes to SDXC support.

And hopefully the HDD support pushes through soon, even if it just limits the use to TV mode only. Extra storage via HDD while waiting for SD card upgrade is not a bad option.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'll buy the 200gb micro sd and will wait until 1tb becomes available/available for a reasonable price.

Santiako

As people are only reading the thread title, a mod should really add NOT AT LAUNCH to the usb storage, and it might never even be a thing.

Top Bottom