• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Dev Kit Stats Leaked? Cortex A57, 4GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Multi-Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

What? That's nonsense.

I may be mis-remembering but the dev kit details for Wii U prelaunch were ridiculously vague.

I'm trying to figure out which of the games we kind of know already would be really impacted byt this and I don't find one.

Much weaker is a stretch. But that was more me being facetious.

It would be an issue even if the game could have been adapted because developers would have more working towards a much higher target.

Very simple solution. The fan is there to keep the device cool to the touch rather than making sure thermals are in check. They aren't going to throttle anything as that would affect performance targets.

Vena

I may be mis-remembering but the dev kit details for Wii U prelaunch were ridiculously vague.

WiiU's dev tools and info was crap.

A GPU is more than just ROPs and shaders, but if you do keep downclocking, you're also reducing performance on the geometry setup (the front end of the rendering pipe).

You'll have to pardon me, my knowledge is cursory which is why I ask! I am a physicist, not a games developer, lol.

bomblord1

Banned
I'm trying to figure out which of the games we kind of know already would be really impacted byt this and I don't find one.

The wiiU CPU is essentially a tricore Wii CPU with some customizations and a slightly higher clock. Which itself is just an overclocked GameCube CPU. You are overestimating the wiiU CPU power by orders of magnitude

OryoN

I'm not sure how to interpret this new development. Something just seems off.

If the leaks about the devs kits - running with an actively cooled Tegra X1 inside, mind you - were true, wouldn't this be a very notable downgrade unless there are significant performance gains in other areas?

The info about the revealed clocks seems very accurate. However, if that's all to the story, then surely, a downgrade of this nature would greatly compromise several games already in development, with the console's launch right around the corner.

There's no way that would sit well with developers who were already deep in development. Yet, everyone is still quiet? The sources who leaked all initial info suddenly have nothing to say about this?

Either the initial reports about the dev kits were all wrong to begin with, or Nintendo have presented developers with near-final hardware that generally maintains the same performance of the dev kit specs, even at such low clocks. How can both reports be true without serious consequences(and leaks) behind the scenes?

I'm neither saddened nor shocked by these new reports. I feel nothing, in that regard, except confusion. I'll most gladly sit this one out until the full reveal.

AlStrong

You'll have to pardon me, my knowledge is cursory which is why I ask! I am a physicist, not a games developer, lol.

No worries, it's just one of those things that gets glossed over when most discussion is surrounding the raw pixel throughput. :)

Shahadan

Very simple solution. The fan is there to keep the device cool to the touch rather than making sure thermals are in check. They aren't going to throttle anything as that would affect performance targets.

Keeping it cold to the touch is also something I've had in mind. Seems like a very nintendo thing to do.
I wouldn't be surprised if they were concerned about people/children picking up the switch after an hour in docked mode and wanted to limit heat there as well.

Vena

No worries, it's just one of those things that gets glossed over when most discussion is surrounding the raw pixel throughput. :)

What would you say are the trade-offs/gains in the proposed scenario? Is there any reason to do such a thing? I ask because, in numerics, it brings us back up to what the devkits "could be" and what we would have thought but it seems like a weird way to go about it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

That would be indeed a very Nintendo solution to a very Nintendo problem.

Cerium

AGAIN: It's very likely that what they're saying about overall performance is correct and I've accepted that.

Then join me for the end of all hope.

tumblr_mzdbq0CUG51toamj8o1_500.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Regarding the cooling fan, from the patents:

The cooling fan 96 is connected to the CPU 81, and the operation of the cooling fan 96 is controlled by the CPU 81. The main unit 2 includes a temperature sensor 95 for detecting the temperature inside the main unit 2. The temperature sensor 95 is connected to the CPU 81, and the detection results of the temperature sensor 95 are output to the CPU 81. The CPU 81 controls the operation of the cooling fan 96 based on the detection results of the temperature sensor 95.

And in portable mode the fan runs slower than max RPM in order not to produce noise.

Scoobie

I'm not sure how to interpret this new development. Something just seems off.

If the leaks about the devs kits - running with an actively cooled Tegra X1 inside, mind you - were true, wouldn't this be a very notable downgrade unless there are significant performance gains in other areas?

The info about the revealed clocks seems very accurate. However, if that's all to the story, then surely, a downgrade of this nature would greatly compromise several games already in development, with the console's launch right around the corner.

There's no way that would sit well with developers who were already deep in development. Yet, everyone is still quiet? The sources who leaked all initial info suddenly have nothing to say about this?

Either the initial reports about the dev kits were all wrong to begin with, or Nintendo have presented developers with near-final hardware that generally maintains the same performance of the dev kit specs, even at such low clocks. How can both reports be true without serious consequences(and leaks) behind the scenes?

I'm neither saddened nor shocked by these new reports. I feel nothing, in that regard, except confusion. I'll most gladly sit this one out until the full reveal.

Good points, it is curious and it begs the question, is there more to the story than just the clock numbers? Have devs got hold of the final release hardware yet or have they just had access to the X1 units?

Rodin

I think the gap is large enough to call it much, MUCH weaker, even with the severe downclock.

Anyway we still don't know if they threw a couple of ultra-low power cores to run the OS. Hopefully they did, as even 2 A35 would be enough and those should be dirt cheap and extremely power efficient.

Anandtech said:
As such, the A35 is targeted at power targets below ~125mW where the Cortex A7 and A5 are still very commonly used. To give us an idea of what to expect from actual silicon, ARM shared with us a figure of 90mW at 1GHz on a 28nm manufacturing process.

Pokemaniac

The WiiU's bloated OS is 1gb, why would this be... larger?

There's almost zero chance this has only four cores. I can't see it. This is either going to have a couple of little cores for handling OS and off-gaming features (like the recording feature), or it has more than four cores and some of them are used for non-gaming purposes.

The "bloat" in the Wii U's OS is actually largely space set aside for the multitasking apps to use. Tabbed web browsers need lots of RAM.

That actually would be a very good reason why the Switch needs a fan even undocked.. lol.

Seriously, I believe the PowerPC architecture is too power hungry. It has been rumors that Nintendo has previously attempted to use PowerPC Gekko into a portable.

The switch is using an ARM CPU.

If we take as face value that we have a stock TX1, then we have to accept that this will have 8 cores.

One thing that is bizarre for me is that the original doc stated the max frequency of the CPU/GPU, and the max GFLOPS instead of the capped clock frequency. My initial thoughts was that they were trying to close to the max performance with more efficient parts. How did devs planned for HH mode if the clocks weren't given to them, though?

The switch is using an ARM CPU.
Yep. The conversation was about somehow putting in an additional PowerPC core in the system for BC.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
One thing that is bizarre for me is that the original doc stated the max frequency of the CPU/GPU, and the max GFLOPS instead of the capped clock frequency. My initial thoughts was that they were trying to close to the max performance with more efficient parts. How did devs planned for HH mode if the clocks weren't given to them, though?

Maybe the devs knew that the jump between the docked and hh mode should be one full resolution bump and planned accordingly?

Just look at what eurogamer is getting from their "sources." Long story short if a dev wanted us to know switch sucked and was a waste of time porting games to we "could" have heard it by now.

Digital Foundry isn't painting a picture of the Switch being bad. I'd suggest watching the video the posted alongside the article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzS4LbH5nmA

For the most part they seem to be fine with it. In many ways it seems like what they expected given what Nintendo is trying to do and their recent history. The only thing that really disappoints Richard is that it doesn't seem to be using Pascal. I think the issue is that many fully bought into insider rumors. The rumors that basically had Nintendo building some sort of super platform. One that could operate as a console but also work as a handheld and could somehow run any game on the PS4 or Xbox One without much issue. If you took a step back from that for a moment it never really seemed realistic, although it obviously sounded good.

Donnie

It clearly states Nintendo is telling developers that's how many cores there are. I doubt Nintendo is lying to its developers. You're setting yourself up for brutal disappointment.

Where does it state that? They've claimed the specs in the op were shown to developers, which aren't Switch specs at all obviously, since they're X1 dev kit specs. Obviously if they were shown they're merely a performance range to expect that developers would be previously familiar with.

ggx2ac

A quick thought, so antonz mentioned before those leaked specs came from someone else and not the person linked in the OP.

Considering that insiders and Eurogamer have verified it(?), wouldn't it mean that the idea of an overclocked dev-kit is false even though there was a loud fan? The spec sheet didn't show the GPU to be running higher than 1GHz.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
A quick thought, so antonz mentioned before those leaked specs came from someone else and not the person linked in the OP.

Considering that insiders and Eurogamer have verified it(?), wouldn't it mean that the idea of an overclocked dev-kit is false even though there was a loud fan? The spec sheet didn't show the GPU to be running higher than 1GHz.

Yes, that would mean that their initial speculation that the TX1 might be overclocked because it had a loud fan was not correct. Maybe the loud fan was because the tablet was heating quite a bit on the inside.

Donnie

The article lists 256 Cuda cores and says

Again they're listing the same source as the op, they even say:

This leaked spec actually appeared on Twitter before Nintendo's official reveal. Thought by many to be out of date or fake, we can confirm that Nintendo has briefed developers recently with the same information.

Just that the original twitter leak mentions 1tflop but they don't list that part of it in the article. Its a cut and paste job of a X1 dev kit, its not actual Switch hardware.

Whether people say its come from a different source or not, its clearly point for point just the same as the op, a X1 dev kit. It even has "1Ghz max" for the GPU, those aren't Switch specs obviously.

I mean again are people just deciding to ignore that this is a custom SoC. You don't have to take Nvidia's word for it either. I mean people go on about "but its Nintendo" and then they ignore the biggest trait of Nintendo, every single system they put out is custom, they don't do off the shelf GPU's. Say what you want about WiiU for example, but it was again a very customised GPU.

Schnozberry

If we take as face value that we have a stock TX1, then we have to accept that this will have 8 cores.

The X1 wasn't designed for symmetric multi-processing. If the A53 cores are active, the A57 cores are not. In an Android scenario, it allows the A53's to be active for most of the time, while the A57's are only active for intensive tasks. They share circuitry as well. There's nothing stopping Nintendo from changing it, but there's no reason to believe they have.

TunaLover

Yes, that would mean that their initial speculation that the TX1 might be overclocked because it had a loud fan was not correct. Maybe the loud fan was because the tablet was heating quite a bit on the inside.
We don't know if the actual dev kits have a small form factor or similar to a retail Switch, in which case having a fan makes sense.

Tom Nook Sawyer said:
Wasn't there someone on here that said it was Pascal?
No that I recall, Nate said it was a TX1 Maxwell, Emily said it was close to XBONE and was confirmed by Laura, it doesn't seems the case anymore, OsirisBlack said it would be able to handle XBONE/PS4 ports with out much problem. But yeah, we had missing this down clock gift from Nintendo all this time.

bomblord1

Banned
Again they're listing the same source as the op, they even say:

Just that the original twitter leak mentions 1tflop but they don't list that part of it in the article. Its a cut and paste job of a X1 dev kit, its not actual Switch hardware.

Whether people say its come from a different source or not, its clearly point for point just the same as the op, a X1 dev kit. It even has "1Ghz max" for the GPU, those aren't Switch specs obviously.

I mean again are people just deciding to ignore that this is a custom SoC. You don't have to take Nvidia's word for it either. I mean people go on about "but its Nintendo" and then they ignore the biggest trait of Nintendo, every single system they put out is custom, they don't do off the shelf GPU's. Say what you want about WiiU for example, but it was again a very customised GPU.

It's right there in your quote they confirmed that devs have been briefed with the same specs

Donnie

The X1 wasn't designed for symmetric multi-processing. If the A53 cores are active, the A57 cores are not. In an Android scenario, it allows the A53's to be active for most of the time, while the A57's are only active for intensive tasks. They share circuitry as well. There's nothing stopping Nintendo from changing it, but there's no reason to believe they have.

Well not that its going to be X1 but I'd say having low power cores that are only active in place of high power cores is completely pointless in a gaming system.

Donnie

It's right there in your quote they confirmed that devs have been briefed with the same specs

Are you not actually reading my posts? Ok lets go with a easier example of what I'm trying to say. Right, developers have been briefed that Switch's GPU runs up to 1Ghz yes?

Schnozberry

Digital Foundry isn't painting a picture of the Switch being bad. I'd suggest watching the video the posted alongside the article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzS4LbH5nmA

For the most part they seem to be fine with it. In many ways it seems like what they expected given what Nintendo is trying to do and their recent history. The only thing that really disappoints Richard is that it doesn't seem to be using Pascal. I think the issue is that many fully bought into insider rumors. The rumors that basically had Nintendo building some sort of super platform. One that could operate as a console but also work as a handheld and could somehow run any game on the PS4 or Xbox One without much issue. If you took a step back from that for a moment it never really seemed realistic, although it obviously sounded good.

Digital Foundry made pretty clear in the video that the number of CUDA Cores, CPU Cores, and process node for the final chip is completely unknown.

The pie in the sky scenario is that Nintendo was approximating performance of the final lower clocked custom chip that has more SM's/Cores by using a full clocked TX1 in the dev kits that was readily available for people to work on.

The most likely scenario is that Nintendo lightly customized the TX1 to their liking and is running the clocks the way they are for energy efficiency and to stay within a tight thermal envelope.

bomblord1

Banned
Are you not actually reading my posts? Ok lets make it really simple so there's no need to even discuss anything else. Right, developers have been briefed that Switch's GPU runs up to 1Ghz yes?

They have been briefed with the specs in the digital foundry article from a hardware perspective including the 256 cuda cores at the given clocks in the table also in the article.

The clocks given are just max frequencies for the parts as stated in the article.

The digital foundry article does not state the 1tf in the OP as part of their confirmed information

Donnie

I know. They probably wouldn't be used at all.

Rather than customise the SoC to remove them they could instead customise to allow them to run in conjunction with higher powered cores in order to run backgrounds tasks like the OS? Not that you'd need 4 A53's to run a OS I suppose but a couple of them would do it with a tiny power draw.

Donnie

They have been briefed with the specs in the digital foundry article from a hardware perspective including the 256 cuda cores at the given clocks in the table also in the article.

The clocks given are just max frequencies for the parts as stated in the article.

The digital foundry article does not state the 1tf in the OP as part of their confirmed information

Ok wait a minute, you're claiming those specs are geniune Switch specs, but apparently they've quoted "up to 1Ghz" to developers simply because a X1 can run at 1Ghz.. why would they do that if those were genuine Switch specs? They wouldn't do that obviously.

Again none of those specs are actual Switch specs, they're a X1 dev kit, right down to the "upto 1Ghz". Same thing listed in the OP just with the 1Tflop info removed.

bomblord1

Banned
Ok wait a minute, you're claiming those specs are geniune Switch specs, but apparently they've quoted "up to 1Ghz" to developers simply because a X1 can run at 1Ghz.. why would they do that if those were genuine Switch specs? They wouldn't do that obviously.

Again none of those specs are actual Switch specs, they're a X1 dev kit, right down to the "upto 1Ghz". Same thing listed in the OP just with the 1Tflop info removed.

Actual switch developers have been confirmed by digital foundry to have been briefed with those same specs. It doesn't matter if they were pulled from another development board. Devs working on the system have confirmed that's what they are working with.

Donnie

Ok I can tell you're just going to repeat the same thing over and over and ignore anything I say so I wont bother anymore, life is too short to keep repeating myself :)

I'll just say its going to be interesting to see the whole picture. Because like I said, Nintendo don't do off the shelf GPU's and down clocks do not make a custom GPU.

ggx2ac

Then it's more likely we're looking at a 28nm node with 2 SM.

They could pick 20nm but they stuck a fan in the Switch when it shouldn't be necessary with how low clocked it is.

TSMC have apparently cut the price of 28nm and 20nm nodes by 10% a few months ago but I assume that 28nm is still cheaper in comparison.

This also makes it less likely we see anything better than A57 and A53 for the CPU. My concern is with A57 being clocked that low doesn't compare favourably with Wii U or the other consoles as mentioned.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Actual switch developers have been confirmed by digital foundry to have been briefed with those same specs. It doesn't matter if they were pulled from another development board. Devs working on the system have confirmed that's what they are working with.
At this point, what we need to know is if this spec sheet is for the final dev kit or an older one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom