• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Dev Kit Stats Leaked? Cortex A57, 4GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Multi-Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCGeek

formerly sane
This is good to know. Do you expect that we'll see better western third party support than the Wii U saw due to all of this? Even taking the reduced clock speeds into account? I'm really hoping so because the portability of the Switch form factor makes it literally perfect for my gaming habits, and any multiplats I'm getting I'd much rather get on the Switch due to that than even PC.

Some, but I'm nervous on 3rd parties since N64. I think nintendo is giving a lot the means to invest themselves much easier and with less risk. Whether or not nintendo wants to enjoy what valve does with steam is another matter, the platform is ripe but will they take advantage or pimp themselves out enough. I'm hoping they do there is so much stuff that isn't in need of a monster pc that works well on steam just having it in their own arsenal will make people interested.

Wait, nvidia is making the Switch OS?
that's.. news to me.
I always assumed they'd be involved but not beyond providing documentation and advice to Nintendo here and there.
Nvidia taking a more active role on that is surprising to say at least.

I've been after development info for a while and that is one of things I've been harping on for months since they made it official.

Oh lawd, please let it be more stable than their graphics card drivers as of recent

Windows is holding nvidia back and most of gaming along with the gaming industry, but rarely anyone cares about it. Async compute sucks on nvidia cards now because some of their better solutions aren't allowed on the platform, rather MS would have to redo windows to fix or address some properly. Nintendo wants them involved, I'm guessing cause they really are being honest about their talents at OS for a gaming platform. Other areas they could make stride in is vsync/gsync/lightboost/strobing, though I doubt it will happen. Some people like myself want strobing done via the os as it would unlock the high requirement of needing 100fps and it could be timed to 30fps/60fps. Strobing doesn't need special hardware besides something that allows for 3D, which is already available on maxwell, it can be done on fermi stuff for the record. Whether nintendo knows what to ask for or nvidia just goes ahead is another matter. But there are variety os issues nvidia has had with MS in regards to how gpus operate with OS that I'm sure at the least they would be looking in to with nintendo. These two companies alone would be doing what sony has done with their playstation if they really want which is streamling and making a robust customized OS of BSD/Linux in some fashion. Nvidia is not bad in this area, it will be a matter of what they are allowed to do or perhaps suggest is a good idea to nintendo. Strobing for the record doesn't cause hardware strain, but your fps does need to be stable for the benefit to really shine especially at lower fps levels.

I do agree about their drivers as of late Since 375 I've seen more problems and it reminds me of when they were in the mid 200s.

Hmm, I was thinking about how much more efficient the tools will be (compared to us hearing things like one company couldn't activate the third core of Wii U's CPU until late in development, or lherre hearing that the framerate for a third party game engine was initially prunning in the single digits), but I guess I have to accept that some development didn't even get off the ground.

For the Wii U, though, it sounded that they tried to help. At least one dev said that Nintendo was helping them run their game engine on the system. The issue I gathered is that they weren't able to figure things out. There were language barrier issues too.

Nintendo teaming up with NVIDIA probably already dramatically increased the chances of good support by an inmeasurable amount.

A lot evolved something is infinitely better than nothing. Having vulkan or hlsl is huge. You should look up why vulkan is huge to emulation to see why it's important for gaming and creating effects that don't hit the rend time. Look at dolphin DX12 articles a few really go in depth, yet look for a pm later I can have one or two. Post mantle apis are rocking in this area. Was testing doom last night I had my cpu at 4- 6ms and the gpu .6MS (that's a decimal), to put that in perspective my 144hz monitor runs at 8ms when it does that. I'm very pumped to see what nintendo better teams or 3rd parties that tend to try come up with. DX pre ten is amazingly bloaty and sits on top of bloaty windows. The various laptops and pcs I have that can use vulkan have all come through in certain benchmarks or games we can test of this year.

WiiU, was a step up from GC/Wii and N64 just not big enough. I felt they really should've gone in to exploiting the gpgpu tools or documentation, as that kind of stuff turned out to be beneficial. Not having solid CPU tools really costed them, so that's another area that will be moving forward to be on ARM and what it offers.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
My biggest worry has been not AAA 3rd parties, but indies.

I want the system to be easy for indies to develop for, and I don't want them technically hampered by an underpowered console.

Give me Nintendo games, the usual Japanese 3rd party games that goes for handhelds, and finish it off with indies. Then I'm happy.

Narroo

I want the system to be easy for indies to develop for, and I don't want them technically hampered by an underpowered console.

But, most indies have incredibly small budgets and end up not using that much power at all. How are they going to be hampered?

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I wonder if the Switch OS is based around the new Geforce experience ? It has a very light overlay which allows screenshots, video capture and live broad casting to Youtube and Twitch TV on PC. I imagine a new version of Miiverse and maybe some sort of achievement system would be incorporated aswell.

Owlboy was confirmed to be in the works for consoles. They might consider switch
Undertale I think is a lock. They were talking with Toby early this year, I imagine they're trying to get GameMaker on Switch or work with a porting studio to get it in the launch window.
Would be smart to tie it in with the rumored Mother 3

Vanillalite

But, most indies have incredibly small budgets and end up not using that much power at all. How are they going to be hampered?

I didn't say they would. I'm just not totally sure yet.

Plus not every indie game is a quick side scroller.

It's also worth mentioning indies aren't always the most optimized either.

I'm not saying indies look like Uncharted 4 or Battlefront and need crazy amount of horsepower.

That being said it's not as if every indie games runs great on the Vita. Granted sure the Switch is more powerful, but the baseline for indies is the same for AAA currently aka PS4, Boner, and PC.

I'm less worried about a game like Bloodstained or MM9 and more worried about something like the Witness or Firewatch.

Speely

Banned

Yep. Specifically, I can imagine some smaller studios targeting the handheld format solely. An accessible platform with great modern tools and hopefully a very modest SDK system in place seems like a dream platform for smaller indies, especially if they can just target the assumed 720p portable mode's performance. I am hoping for this actually because I don't want to see dedicated handheld development die.

Persona7

Banned
Owlboy was confirmed to be in the works for consoles. They might consider switch
Undertale I think is a lock. They were talking with Toby early this year, I imagine they're trying to get GameMaker on Switch or work with a porting studio to get it in the launch window.

Undertale would demolish the sales of Mother 3 if they released in the same month.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Give me Nintendo games, the usual Japanese 3rd party games that goes for handhelds, and finish it off with indies. Then I'm happy.

This is my hope and feeling, save for the fact that I'm more worried about how Nintendo will approach and cater to these smaller devs and indies, rather than the system being powerful enough. That really shouldn't be an issue even with the specs we've seen rumored.

The big issue is if Nintendo will have tools and support in place to make developing and porting over to the Switch as easy as possible. So far it looks to be the case in terms of API support, hopefully the tools and direct support from Nintendo follows suit.

Beyond that though they need to actually engage with these devs and have an attractive digital store front and strategy that will convince devs that it's worth the time and money to bring their title over to the Switch. Numerous games have found great success on Nintendo's eshop compared to other, larger, platforms like Gunman Clive and Shovel Knight, but a lot of others haven't had that great of a success. Even Gunman Clive 2 saw very diminished sales even on 3DS. So I imagine they'll need to do some courting at the start to ensure they have a good groundwork of proven successes that make the Switch a go to platform for future games.

I've said it before as well that some of these smaller Japanese devs that have supported the 3DS and Vita as well might find themselves priced out by the Switch as going from 240P and even 544P to 720/1080p might be an increase in development costs that kills niche games that are not deemed worth the investment. So Nintendo is going to have to work to make sure the Switch has a strong amount of traditional handheld style games so the market accepts it and don't all think every game should be console quality, and they have to make it so smaller devs don't see a huge increase in costs and or convince publishers it's worth the higher costs.

I wonder if the Switch OS is based around the new Geforce experience ? It has a very light overlay which allows screenshots, video capture and live broad casting to Youtube and Twitch TV on PC. I imagine a new version of Miiverse and maybe some sort of achievement system would be incorporated aswell.

If Nvidia really is helping with it I could certainly see that. We know there is a share button already, hopefully it's much more fully featured then just a screenshot button.

Debirudog

Man, I really want to play Owlboy but I have no pc. :(

sounds like a lot of people want the console to be completely Nvidia and nintendo to be their first party lol

I mean, that's not too far off from what's happening. I've always loved the philosophy behind Nintendo's hardware (off-tv play is the best thing since the analog stick) but their execution isn't typically all that impressive.

If they can cooperate while inputting their design philosophy with a company that's known for slick and effective hardware then that's pretty exciting.

Undertale would demolish the sales of Mother 3 if they released in the same month.
Mother 3 is more of a gesture to the fans. Kind of like The Last Guardian.
Simple and cheap game that people really want to see and you'll get a lot of props for it.
I think it would help appease the fans

usmanusb

Do you guys think any possibility of having Nvidia /Nintendo to agree on shield store games in Nintendo eshop? It will also open up many games possibilities..

Vanillalite

It's worth noting I'm playing through Stories on my PS4 right now as it's one of the PS+ freebies.

It's an indie game built on UE4. Even on the PS4 it has fps issues at certain times. Granted I'm not sure it's power, but rather optimization.

Still it's this sort of thing when I made my comment before about indies on the Switch.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Do you guys think any possibility of having Nvidia /Nintendo to agree on shield store games in Nintendo eshop? It will also open up many games possibilities..
No way. It's a Nintendo platform. Nvidia's role in the project is probably purely technical.

Yeah those are Android games so. I'm thinking that's unlikely.
Most Android games are rendered using OpenGL ES, which the Switch fully supports. Lots of them can be played using gamepads and the console has a multitouch screen, so seeing some of those games on the Switch is very likely.

AzaK

From filing to grant or filing to publishing? The poster you responded to was talking about the latter.

If yours was 4.5 years from filing to even being published then that's by far the longest I've ever heard of. But for filing > grant, yeah it can take that long or even longer.

Ahh OK, I misread then. Mine was filing to grant, I can't remember how long until being published.

The Wii U browser was my Chromecast before the Chromecast was a thing. I watch hundreds and hundreds of hours of YouTube and Giant Bomb premium HD videos on my TV thanks to it. Amazing software.

This. I still use my Wii U browser all the time for YouTube, MST3K, DBZ, classic TV shows, video podcasts not to mention general web browsing when I'm charging my phone or don't feel like booting my Mac Book. I can stream an hour and a half episode of MST3K on YT and it won't choke once, it works beautifully and is the best browser ever released on a gaming console, hands down. If anyone from NERD is reading this, you did an amazing job on the Wii U browser and I hope you are behind the web browser for Switch assuming it has one.

NVIDIA helping making android games easy to port to Switch is probably more likely. I don't see Nintendo allowing NVIDIA to have a store or allow something like The Grid streaming service or even GEFORCE

Roo

sounds like a lot of people want the console to be completely Nvidia and nintendo to be their first party lol
I don't want this to be a Nvidia console but we can't really ignore how incompetent Nintendo has been in several key fields of their business.

I actually think it's a good move from Nintendo to step aside and actually let someone else handle what they're obviously incapable of.
Same happened with the DeNA deal where they're helping with Nintendo' smartphone business and MyNintendo.

ggx2ac

This. I still use my Wii U browser all the time for YouTube, MST3K, DBZ, classic TV shows, video podcasts not to mention general web browsing when I'm charging my phone or don't feel like booting my Mac Book. I can stream an hour and a half episode of MST3K on YT and it won't choke once, it works beautifully and is the best browser ever released on a gaming console, hands down. If anyone from NERD is reading this, you did an amazing job on the Wii U browser and I hope you are behind the web browser for Switch assuming it has one.

I second this.

Can't believe there are people that don't want a web browser with HTML 5 compatibility on the Switch.

I prefer it over Chromecast to watch something on TV because it's a pain trying to scroll back 5 seconds in a video on your phone because you end up going back over a minute instead and then it becomes a mess trying to get back to where you wanted.

All that matters is that the switch gets rocket league and that it has local play as well as multilayer and cross play like the other consoles.

Speely

Banned
All that matters is that the switch gets rocket league and that it has local play as well as multilayer and cross play like the other consoles.

You've been right about things before, but you have never before been this fucking right. This absolutely HAS to happen.

Edit: And there's absolutely no reason it can't happen. I would actually be surprised if it wasn't already in the works. It's too good a fit.

Some, but I'm nervous on 3rd parties since N64. I think nintendo is giving a lot the means to invest themselves much easier and with less risk. Whether or not nintendo wants to enjoy what valve does with steam is another matter, the platform is ripe but will they take advantage or pimp themselves out enough. I'm hoping they do there is so much stuff that isn't in need of a monster pc that works well on steam just having it in their own arsenal will make people interested.

I've been after development info for a while and that is one of things I've been harping on for months since they made it official.

Windows is holding nvidia back and most of gaming along with the gaming industry, but rarely anyone cares about it. Async compute sucks on nvidia cards now because some of their better solutions aren't allowed on the platform, rather MS would have to redo windows to fix or address some properly. Nintendo wants them involved, I'm guessing cause they really are being honest about their talents at OS for a gaming platform. Other areas they could make stride in is vsync/gsync/lightboost/strobing, though I doubt it will happen. Some people like myself want strobing done via the os as it would unlock the high requirement of needing 100fps and it could be timed to 30fps/60fps. Strobing doesn't need special hardware besides something that allows for 3D, which is already available on maxwell, it can be done on fermi stuff for the record. Whether nintendo knows what to ask for or nvidia just goes ahead is another matter. But there are variety os issues nvidia has had with MS in regards to how gpus operate with OS that I'm sure at the least they would be looking in to with nintendo. These two companies alone would be doing what sony has done with their playstation if they really want which is streamling and making a robust customized OS of BSD/Linux in some fashion. Nvidia is not bad in this area, it will be a matter of what they are allowed to do or perhaps suggest is a good idea to nintendo. Strobing for the record doesn't cause hardware strain, but your fps does need to be stable for the benefit to really shine especially at lower fps levels.

I do agree about their drivers as of late Since 375 I've seen more problems and it reminds me of when they were in the mid 200s.

A lot evolved something is infinitely better than nothing. Having vulkan or hlsl is huge. You should look up why vulkan is huge to emulation to see why it's important for gaming and creating effects that don't hit the rend time. Look at dolphin DX12 articles a few really go in depth, yet look for a pm later I can have one or two. Post mantle apis are rocking in this area. Was testing doom last night I had my cpu at 4- 6ms and the gpu .6MS (that's a decimal), to put that in perspective my 144hz monitor runs at 8ms when it does that. I'm very pumped to see what nintendo better teams or 3rd parties that tend to try come up with. DX pre ten is amazingly bloaty and sits on top of bloaty windows. The various laptops and pcs I have that can use vulkan have all come through in certain benchmarks or games we can test of this year.

WiiU, was a step up from GC/Wii and N64 just not big enough. I felt they really should've gone in to exploiting the gpgpu tools or documentation, as that kind of stuff turned out to be beneficial. Not having solid CPU tools really costed them, so that's another area that will be moving forward to be on ARM and what it offers.

Yeah, I believe Nintendo themselves wanted to play around with the GPGPU idea for the Wii U, but the pre-GCN architecture hindered that, and the GPU didn't really a lot of raw power to spare.

It is great how Nintendo finally caught up with being able to use modern APIs and game engines with the Switch. I'm curious to see what things Nintendo will do now since even their new portable (Switch-HH mode) is beyond their previous console.

They didn't want to make too mini.

This made me chuckle.

AzaK

The Wii U browser was my Chromecast before the Chromecast was a thing. I watch hundreds and hundreds of hours of YouTube and Giant Bomb premium HD videos on my TV thanks to it. Amazing software.

I guess if you had nothing else it was a marginal substitute but compared to thousands of other devices the Wii U was a piece of horse shit for anything web related. Want to wait 2 minutes to watch a video, use Wii U, where I can get into watching a video in about 10 seconds on my iPhone.

EDarkness

I guess if you had nothing else it was a marginal substitute but compared to thousands of other devices the Wii U was a piece of horse shit for anything web related. Want to wait 2 minutes to watch a video, use Wii U, where I can get into watching a video in about 10 seconds on my iPhone.

Hmmm...I never had that problem watching videos on my Wii U. It was always pretty snappy. It was/is the best way for me to watch Nintendo Directs, too.

I second this.

Can't believe there are people that don't want a web browser with HTML 5 compatibility on the Switch.

I prefer it over Chromecast to watch something on TV because it's a pain trying to scroll back 5 seconds in a video on your phone because you end up going back over a minute instead and then it becomes a mess trying to get back to where you wanted.

That's another good point, hitting the L trigger on the Gamepad to go back 15-30 seconds on a video whenever you want is so good, I have it docked on a table right next to my favorite chair within arm's reach, the most comfortable and convenient rewind feature ever.

Schnozberry

I don't want this to be a Nvidia console but we can't really ignore how incompetent Nintendo has been in several key fields of their business.

I actually think it's a good move from Nintendo to step aside and actually let someone else handle what they're obviously incapable of.
Same happened with the DeNA deal where they're helping with Nintendo' smartphone business and MyNintendo.

Leveraging partners and relationships to fill the gaps in your own competence is just good business. Nintendo got a rude awakening with Wii U (partially the 3DS as well) that the industry at large had left them behind in a lot of ways when they were basking in the success of the Wii and DS concepts. Over the last few years they have really started leaning on younger voices inside the company to drive their creative development, reached out to DeNA to handle online services and mobile development, and leaned heavily on Nvidia to make sure they didn't have a repeat of the Wii U development environment fiasco.

Whatever level of disappointment people feel about the hardware grunt of the Switch aside, they have made a lot of good moves lately. Their marketing in the west for the Switch has already been leagues better than Wii U, on top of all the other key internal changes. It's been a dramatic turnaround for a company as big as Nintendo. If you've never worked for a large company before, it's hard to grasp how much internal inertia exists supporting certain policies and processes, and how much effort it takes to get buy in from everyone internally to pursue a new vision, even after significant failure. I worked for a huge medical device company for a few years, and their modernization effort started years before I arrived there and wasn't finished when I left. It seems like Iwata's final years while he was struggling with his illness were spent putting all of this in motion. The people who have picked up the pieces in his absence have rallied around his new vision admirably. The Switch is quite literally a tribute to him at this point, and on top of it rides the future of the company's dedicated device business.

Clessidor

In other news Nintendo Germany is giving away a switch and 2 tickets for the switch experience in Frankfurt today.
Yeah, I kinda expected it after the advents calender raffle already had a Super Mario Maker Wii U bundle yesterday. The Switch would be the biggest prize they could come up with.

Vanillalite

Again this is another indie game that just isn't a 2/2.5d side scroller.

How's it gonna run in portable mode and maintain fps?

I'm not saying it will or won't. I'm saying I don't know this yet.

EDarkness

The developers will figure it out. I'm sure it'll be worth it for them, I think.

Oregano

When is the last time Nintendo got first dibs on a prominent PC indie game?

If it's not been released on a Sony platform yet don't expect it on Switch.

Black_Red

I know this was probably answered but... could Nintendo switch in portable mode run wiiU ports without a lot of work?, we know Mario kart and smash are coming, but if those ports do well and they're easy to make id love a chance to play 3d world (since I loved 3D land) and Bayonetta 2.

Portable mode and docked mode will maintain frame rate parity as long as the resolution relationship is within that 2.5X ratio. I think that part of Switch design in particular is pretty damn smart.

Rocket League will simply have less FXs than other versions. The biggest concern is any reduction in physics that might affect gameplay, but visually you can scale it down without affecting gameplay.

Worse case scenario is to go 360p on batteries and 540p while docked. Simple quad pumping of pixels will make each output good fine.

I know this was probably answered but... could Nintendo switch in portable mode run wiiU ports without a lot of work?, we know Mario kart and smash are coming, but if those ports do well and they're easy to make id love a chance to play 3d world (since I loved 3D land) and Bayonetta 2.
Depends what you mean by a lot of work, I guess. The hardware capabilities should be there easy, but still different chip architectures and whatnot so it's not as easy as GameCube games that turned into Wii games, or Xbone<->PS4.

Something like that can't be answered with a simple yes or no, unfortunately. Each game is made differently, and will have different sets of problems when porting from one platform to another.

I'd expect some Wii U ports, but I'd imagine this would be limited to those that sold a lot of copies on the Wii U to begin with. The investment has to be worthwhile. Sadly, bayonetta didn't sell too well, so I'd guess that one probably isn't coming over.

That said, the safest thing to do is not to get any hopes up and just wait for official announcements :)

LordRaptor

Something like that can't be answered with a simple yes or no, unfortunately. Each game is made differently, and will have different sets of problems when porting from one platform to another.

My suspicion is that given we have seen a number of first party titles go from Wii / WiiU to 3DS that Nintendo already have a PPC->ARM toolchain up and running internally.
I also don't think Nintendo have a huge usage variance of engines / devtools internally, and that most of their first party title are all built on the same engine

Black_Red

Thanks for the answers, I'll try to do my part and buy Mario Kart port at least (MAYBE smash too) I skipped the wiiU, but I'm on board for every Nintendo handheld.

Also, I know bayonetta 2 didnt sell a lot, but I have some hopes with bayonetta 2 inclussion in Smash and Platinum Games being in the list of devs supporting the Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom