• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoon

I don't feel like the trailer did enough to sell why it's so different from the Wii U. It honestly looked like a Wii U Plus.

What is a Wii U:

A two-screen system that is locked to the general location where you set it up all about interacting with two screens.

What is a Switch:

A single-screen system that you can use on your TV and then take with you anywhere and keep playing the game even allowing for local multiplayer in portable mode through detachable controllers.

Right, they totally seem to be almost identical!

MoonFrog

What is a Wii U:

A two-screen system that is locked to the general location where you set it up all about interacting with two screens.

What is a Switch:

A single-screen system that you can use on your TV and then take with you anywhere and keep playing the game even allowing for local multiplayer in portable mode through detachable controllers.

Switch is what Wii U dreamed it could be basically.

You have increased portability, which simultaneously makes off-TV play more enticing and viable and also lets the thing sell as a portable console instead of a home console. Nintendo can fail just as much as it did with Wii U with regards to convincing Japanese consumers it is okay and family-friendly to have a home console again and still succeed at selling the device on other grounds.

This is the hybrid benefit before even considering unified Nintendo catalog.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
I love what I've seen of the Switch. I rewatch the Switch trailer every day or two, the hype is real!

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
So something I observed yesterday. The Mii on the Miitomo app icon is the girl from the Switch trailer who plays Mario Switch. Who else thinks so?

What is a Wii U:

What is a Switch:

wiiu has mostly singlescreen games....

I see where he is coming from. I do hope you too.

No to both.

This, those who say that Switch and Wii U are essentially the same thing have never owned a Wii U.

It is a static console with an additional screen. Nothing else.

Switch is a portable console (not a handheld, more like a portable home console). You use it on the go, or you put it in the dock and play from the TV. No two screen hulabaloo here.

Seriously, those consepts are nothing alike, Switch reveal video was very clear with the message: "play home or away, your way".

Trailer was great, and gave neat possible situations for it. All are plausible:

-party machine with rooftop girls (Mario Party etc. on the go, think about that!)

-something to play when waiting your turn on the baseball court (or being a substitute player in a football match or something, you know, the fat guy who rarely gets to play)

-while travelling via car or plane or whatever (they used young hunks but suits for kids and elders too!)

-or planning your tactic with your own console in tournaments, think about big Smash tournees and stuff, they don't buttload of consoles, everyone can bring their own! Or like the lan parties of old when people gathered with their PCs in some crack den or something, memories about that are little bit hazy...

Of course they used hip people in the commercial, like everyone uses. That doesn't chance the fact that all the scenarios lend themselves neatly in real life situations.

And to bloke who said that the trailer gameplay was fake because the mate of his said so: har har har. Of course it is fake! Like every other similar commercial!

I liked the reveal. Well the trailer had a lot of stupid things in it but the system itself is exactly what I was hoping for. Now it all comes down to execution. By that I mean online functionality, making the wider games library accessible, porting over some of the bigger wii u/3ds titles that came out, and especially keeping a constant stream of new games coming out.

And obviously...the dreaded price point. I think it 249 has to be the absolute maximum. 299 if it comes with a game like Zelda. Also the games themselves need to be properly priced. This is mobile hardware.

Regiruler

Great thread opening, and, I must say

GfYQCcO.gif

This banner is very, very classy :D
How does it only play once.

I liked the reveal. Well the trailer had a lot of stupid things in it but the system itself is exactly what I was hoping for. Now it all comes down to execution. By that I mean online functionality, making the wider games library accessible, porting over some of the bigger wii u/3ds titles that came out, and especially keeping a constant stream of new games coming out.

And obviously...the dreaded price point. I think it 249 has to be the absolute maximum. 299 if it comes with a game like Zelda. Also the games themselves need to be properly priced. This is mobile hardware.

I would pay 400. This is a console that has never been done before and does things the other two cannot do.

My money is on 350 which for what it is, I think is very reasonable.

I would pay 400. This is a console that has never been done before and does things the other two cannot do.

My money is on 350 which for what it is, I think is very reasonable.
I don't think it's reasonable to expect it to be successful at that price point. Whether or not anyone is personally willing to pay a lot because they like it is one thing, but I think the overall market wont respond well to a price point that high for this after the initial launch sales slow down.

Momentum is key in this industry and a 350 price point with no game will kill it I think.As far as never having been done before, I don't think a detachable controller mechanic is enough to warrant that price. Unless I'm missing something else this system does. The dock just provides charging and video out through ports so that's nothing special. The device is mobile hardware that has mostly been seen for lower prices i.e. nvidia shield. Even if the gpu is custom I don't think that warrants it. The detachable mechanic seems cool but it doesn't seem like it's made from high quality materials or anything...none of it does. Don't see why it would be that expensive.

I don't think it's reasonable to expect it to be successful at that price point. Whether or not anyone is personally willing to pay a lot because they like it is one thing, but I think the overall market wont respond well to a price point that high for this after the initial launch sales slow down.

Momentum is key in this industry and a 350 price point with no game will kill it I think.As far as never having been done before, I don't think a detachable controller mechanic is enough to warrant that price. Unless I'm missing something else this system does. The dock just provides charging and video out through ports so that's nothing special. The device is mobile hardware that has mostly been seen for lower prices i.e. nvidia shield. Even if the gpu is custom I don't think that warrants it. The detachable mechanic seems cool but it doesn't seem like it's made from high quality materials or anything...none of it does. Don't see why it would be that expensive.

No console on the market has the portable factor of the switch.

And I think 350 is reasonable considering that the ps4 and xb1 launched at a miminum of 400 dollars and are doing just fine and offer very little over there predecessors outside better technicial specifications. Neither of those systems launched with a game as well.

If Nintendo can properly market tbe device for what is it, I think the general public would deem 350 to be a resonable price.

And I think 350 is reasonable considering that the ps4 and xb1 launched at a miminum of 400 dollars and are doing just fine and offer very little over there predecessors outside better technicial specifications. Neither of those systems launched with a game as well.

If Nintendo can properly market tbe device for what is it, I think the general public would deem 350 to be a resonable price.
At the time those consoles came out they had much better specs/internals than the switch does. I don't see how they can convince the public to drop 400 bucks on a system to play games when they can play on their phones/tablets/apple tvs/etc...and this is the crowd that would need to buy in.

I'm not saying it's impossible for it to be successful at 350 but in the long run that is a tough ass sell. They don't want to make the same mistake as 3DS when it launched. This time just price it right from the get-go and then work on the games to keep the momentum going. This is as opposed to trying to price it on the high end of the consumer acceptance spectrum and HOPING they buy into it.

DMONKUMA

Gonna guess around $350 for the standard package and $400 for including pro controller and maybe a game.

I can't see this thing being lower than $300, especially with the specs it's rumored to have and what's it is marketed to be.

I don't know how much the 3DS and Wii U launched at in the UK, so I guess that the Switch will be priced at £200.

EDIT: Now the TheMoon told me what the launch prices were, I estimate that the Switch will be priced at £249.99.

jmizzal

I still think they want to beat WiiU pricing so, main $299 at most

Zelda Breath of the Wild bundle with Pro controller $349

You saving about $60 bucks on the bundle since BotW will be 60 and pro controller will prob be 49

Matbtz

I guess the switch will be at 299€/$. I think this is a fair price, I would be willing to pay 350 for a better system but I guess 300 is the sweetspot, 250 if they want to be very agressive.

Edit : Don't know if Nintendo will bundle BotW, at least not less than switch price + 60$. They will sell this game no matter what so they will not loose any money on it.
I would kill for a BotW + switch bundle collector edition though.

HylianTom

Banned
I think $300 will be the sweet spot.

My guess: It'll come with the standard controller and the console. Pro controller sold separately for $50.

I'm wondering if certain retail outlets will require the purchase of a bundle for preorders, especially if the supply/demand picture looks dicey.

(And I badly want a special Zelda edition..)

You are aware this makes no sense, right?

It is impossible for the Wii U to be "all about interacting with two screens" when it's entirely possible--and was advertised as such--as being used in single screen scenarios.

And arguably, it's situations like this that only further muddled the Wii U's messaging.

TheMoon

You are aware this makes no sense, right?

It is impossible for the Wii U to be "all about interacting with two screens" when it's entirely possible--and was advertised as such--as being used in single screen scenarios.

And arguably, it's situations like this that only further muddled the Wii U's messaging.

Didn't say exclusively. Just because Off-TV exists for a ton of games doesn't mean the two-screen setup wasn't the main thing.

Nbz

I'm gonna be bold and say it will retail for $249.99, though that seems a tough price to hit, if they do go there then it'll sell like crazy

Lebon14

I wouldn't be surprised if the NS would be 300-350$US (350-400$CAD). Either way, it's not like I can afford one at launch anyway, regardless of the price.

Neoxon

I wouldn't be surprised if the NS would be 300-350$US (350-400$CAD). Either way, it's not like I can afford one at launch anyway, regardless of the price.
The Switch will be DoA if Nintendo tries to price it at anywhere above $300.

eXMomoj

I think it'll be $399 USD. I remember "insiders" saying consumers would be disappointed with the price. I think most consumers are expecting it to come in around $299-$349 so $399 should be right on the money.

300 if they want to sell this thing at all. If they price themselves higher than the base PS4/Xbox One then I think they're going to have some serious issues. 300 is the absolute maximum I can see this console doing well at.

You're not familiar with how people generally use the phrase "[person]/[thing] is all about [something]" I take it?

I am, and I'm saying your use of it was wrong and misleading

The first scene of the first trailer for the Wii U reveal literally showed off a non dual-screen use. "Interacting with two screens" is something the Wii U probably should have done more of, in fact. Off-TV Play hindered this.

Matbtz

I think 250 USD just the Switch and the dock, 300 USD with the joycon grip and an sd card or a game.

I think the joy con grip will be in the basic bundle. It doesn't makes sense for me not to include this, the trailer was saying :
  • You can play on the go like a handheld or with joycons
  • You can play at home with the joycons + joycon grip
  • You can play at home with the pro controller
Since the pro controller will be additional there is no other way to play at home than having the joy con grip, they can't sell this console without the possibility to play at home. This is the core concept.

(Unless you can play with the detached joy cons in front of your tv but it's not going to be optimal...)

m.i.s.

Banned

You have absolutely no evidence on which to base your assertions. Unlike PS4 / XBO, Switch will not have an octo-core processor or hard drive for storage or optical drive for value add features like DVD and bluray video playback.

Otoh, we have plenty of evidence from past devices and price points which amply demonstrate that what you're suggesting would be market suicide for Nintendo.

3DS price debut of $250 - leading to a rapid price cut of $80 in just six months. Unheard of for a Nintendo platform in the US.

Just to compound Nintendo's myopia, Wii U price debut of $300 for the basic and $350 for the premium. Those price points ensured that Nintendo's first HD console cratered far deeper than it would have other wise done.

javadoze

New Question of the Day!

Do you have any guesses what Nintendo Switch would be priced at?

Most optimistic: $250

What it will probably be: $300 ($350 for a Deluxe bundle)

At this point, I'm not really holding my breath for $250. Though people point to 3DS and WiiU as examples of failures at higher price points, they also forget their incredibly lackluster launch lineups/windows.

Simply put, if Switch is $300 and can thoroughly justify that price point in being a good value (Zelda and maybe Mario at launch, consistent games in the launch window, and maybe a solid pack-in title), it can thrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom