• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think that massive Wii U porting could damage the Switch image?.
I think they should flood the system with Wii U ports and then brand the new games as
"Switch Originals" or something like that.

Debirudog

If we're talking about that 4chan rumor for MH, then it's a load of bunk. I can see a PS4 MH happening but the overworld design would kill the very point of the damn games.

I think they should flood the system with Wii U ports and then brand the new games as

Did it affect the PS4 and Xbox One?

No it did not so I don't see this as a problem especially if these games are enhanced releases.

sfried

Depends is mentioned ports contain significant enough enhancement that make use of Switch features.

We still haven't heard if the Switch will have Streetpass or Streetpass-like features such as the 3DS did.
If we're talking about that 4chan rumor for MH, then it's a load of bunk. I can see a PS4 MH happening but the overworld design would kill the very point of the damn games.

Gotta love the selective choosing of which you would considered bunk.
If Ethernet wasn't in the Wii or Wii U then I doubt it will be in the Switch dock.
Someone did mention something about the patent showing the dock including built-in ethernet access. I'd say this would make since Switch would most likely have WiFi but could be disabled for an always active internet connection.

antonz

Honestly the rumor sounds pretty believable. Sony probably money hatted the hell out of a new MH and people in Capcom viewed it as a time to westernize the franchise as they have been trying to do with a lot of stuff.

Finally people with brains in Capcom said holy shit what are you doing and went into panic mode to fix the situation.

Plum

Did it affect the PS4 and Xbox One?

No it did not so I don't see this as a problem especially if these games are enhanced releases.

This. Having many PS4/X1 releases being PS3/X360 ports or remasters didn't hurt either console despite their predecessors having significantly higher install bases.

Oersted

Well the rumour said Sony is paying specifically to keep it off Switch(lol)...

1477622794517.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1302699

Oregano

Well Toukiden 2 went open world and I think there's a good chance God Eater 3 does so as well so a PS4 Monster Hunter being open world wouldn't really be that weird.

It really depends on what else is shown in January. If the focus is on remasters of Wii U games and not new stuff then yeah that would be a problem. I don't think that will be the case though.

No. The excuse used to port The Last of Us to PS4 is pretty viable for the Switch as well.

Except they got plenty of games to port in comparison because of different reasons.

Honestly there isn't a whole lot of games to port so I'm sure we will see multiple originals game.

Oersted

Honestly the rumor sounds pretty believable. Sony probably money hatted the hell out of a new MH and people in Capcom viewed it as a time to westernize the franchise as they have been trying to do with a lot of stuff.

Finally people with brains in Capcom said holy shit what are you doing and went into panic mode to fix the situation.

Okay, where is the part where it sounds pretty believable?

random25

It never was a problem for PS4/XBO, which have ports of last gen games that have a 160M+ install base.

Besides, they added some more to the ports based from the rumors, so it's not that bad especially for those who have yet to play those games for the first time.

Debirudog

Gotta love the selective choosing of which you would considered bunk.
what selective choosing? I dislike the philosophy that every god damn franchise in what is has to go to this overworld route when it's a bunch of wasted resources. I don't want to fight a monster in a huge-ass overworld. It's a gamer's obsession that needs to go the fuck away.

I also don't see why in the world would Capcom sacrifice the handheld installment base just for the western install base for PS4. That's not smart, that's fucking dumb! It makes sense to make a MH game for the PS4 given how huge it is in the west but lolCapcom if true.

I mean, for fuck sakes, IT'S 4CHAN. I don't have to believe shit. None of the credible leakers could even verify it.

antonz

Okay, where is the part where it sounds pretty believable?

1. Sony moneyhatting
2. Capcom westernizing a franchise to try and broaden approach. Especially when the PS4 like all consoles sells poorly in Japan. So the westernizing is obviously to try and explode sales over sees.
3. Development staff within Japan realizing the westernizing is insanity and abandoning the actual franchise players

And what, Nintendo just let them?

antonz

And what, Nintendo just let them?

Nintendo may very well have considered MH on lock considering its always been a better performing saleswise Handheld series.

Sony wants to try and add new life to the PS4 so pays the bill and Capcom as Capcom has been decides westernizing is the key to success. I mean realistically it makes no sense whatsoever to develop a console only Monster Hunter.

Debirudog

I'm not disappointed at all that Retro isn't working on Metroid. I don't know why they have to be the ones to develop the games. It's not like MP3 was perfect or anything.

Waji

16d887f352.png

Including elemental resistances (which are only useful basically never in the main game) there are 17 stats to manage. Seventeen. That's like, 10 too many. AND on top of that every weapon and armor has their own stats/quality/attributes with even more unclear bogus terms that you can find in the multiple upgrades you can add to them wiht even more dumb items modifiers cluttering another part of your screens.
And there are 7 slots to fill with those weapons and armors.

AND after that you have to manage an equal number of dumb shit with absurd names like that all look the same like LW600-xZ for your skells. For all your characters.

If that's not too many stuff I don't know what is. This is borderline PC RPGs spreadsheet caricature and I like managing shit.
I wouldn't mind some of them removed, especially the potential.
Didn't feel like dividing the source of power for TP and normal arts was the best idea.

Anyway, since they should go for a more traditional rpg experience, the balance should greatly change.
I hope they just take the best out of their 2 games and upgrade/add new elements.

Oersted

1. Sony moneyhatting
2. Capcom westernizing a franchise to try and broaden approach. Especially when the PS4 like all consoles sells poorly in Japan. So the westernizing is obviously to try and explode sales over sees.
3. Development staff within Japan realizing the westernizing is insanity and abandoning the actual franchise players

You are not making an argument. You are just repeating your expectations.

The well written 4chan post states that Sony is desperate about Japan, that is why they pay for Monster Hunter.
You state Capcom would westernize the franchise because PS4 sells poorly in Japan.

Could you turn this into a coherent argument?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wow at these rumors
Being Laura reliable. .. I would say january event has many chances of being simply underwhelming and disappointing

No MH with all its implications
Mediocre third party games
Backpedaling on Bg&e2
No metroid
Mediocre hw rumor backed
Indie dev left behind
No actual japanese buzz so far
No achievemnts
No Zelda at launch
wiiu ports everywhere
no platinum games

I understand the situation coming from the wiiu trainwreck and having turned the back to the favorable japanese portable market despite having developed a nerfed down home console but with the opportunities opened by the hybrid concept and by the wiiu lesson learned I expected a totally different proposition from Nintendo in terms of first party volume variety and merging library and third party japanese positioning

I know people continue saying to wait for the reveal but time is running out and the rumors coming out are still all directed toward tris positioning and this situation with the missing point of the SRP about which I am not confident (being Nintendo pushing this as a home console on the go and not as THE portable to have. Aka I can see a wii price point but absolutely not a ds one and in my opinion it will be another mistake )

Debirudog

Wow at these rumors
Being Laura reliable. .. I would say january event has many chances of being simply underwhelming and disappointing

Backpedaling on Bg&e2
No metroid
Mediocre hw rumor backed
Indie dev left behind
No achievemnts
No Zelda at launch
wiiu ports everywhere

I understand the situation coming from the wiiu trainwreck and having turned the back to the favorable japanese portable market despite having developed a nerfed down home console but with the opportunities opened by the hybrid concept and by the wiiu lesson learned I expected a totally different proposition from Nintendo in terms of first party volume variety and merging library and third party japanese positioning

I know people continue saying to wait for the reveal but time is running out and the rumors coming out are still all directed toward tris positioning and this situation with the missing point of the SRP about which I am not confident (being Nintendo pushing this as a home console on the go and not as THE portable to have. Aka I can see a wii price point but absolutely not a ds one and in my opinion it will be another mistake )

Now that's accentuating the negative.

Wow at these rumors

Backpedaling on Bg&e2
No metroid
Mediocre hw rumor backed
Indie dev left behind
No achievemnts
No Zelda at launch
wiiu ports everywhere
no platinum games

Is this a serious post? It's like you ignored all the positives, twisted anything that was ambiguous (No platinum games? So confirming something that no one was expecting is a negative?), and painted it in as negative a light as possible

oti

Banned
Wow at these rumors

Backpedaling on Bg&e2
No metroid
Mediocre hw rumor backed
Indie dev left behind
No achievemnts
No Zelda at launch
wiiu ports everywhere
no platinum games

People will be disappointed but one thing on your list is wrong and that will make a lot of people happy.

LordKano

Wow at these rumors

Backpedaling on Bg&e2
No metroid
Mediocre hw rumor backed
Indie dev left behind
No achievemnts
No Zelda at launch
wiiu ports everywhere
no platinum games

I expected no less from you Aostia.

Astral Dog

Is this a serious post? It's like you ignored all the positives, twisted anything that was ambiguous (No platinum games? So confirming something that no one was expecting is a negative?), and painted it in as negative a light as possible
I was hoping for some Platinum goodness at the Switch reveal, not having that its a bummer

But yeH that comment is a bit crazy

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wow at these rumors

Backpedaling on Bg&e2
No metroid
Mediocre hw rumor backed
Indie dev left behind
No achievemnts
No Zelda at launch
wiiu ports everywhere
no platinum games

I don't know, it sincerly would seem like a major mistake if we assume that

- her info on the European release date (March 17th) stands
- Switch's Japanese release date is the same week

That would translate into March 18th for Japan...right on the same day as MHXX.

It would be extremely bizarre, incredibly so. And, again, a major mistake.

I'm sure we'll see Aostia soon enough shouting at the falling sky, Switch as a mistakenly advertised product from the get go, yadda-yadda-yadda. Him Oregano-ing is by far the worst part of this

Wrong thread, right feeling

Mokujin

Wow at these rumors

Backpedaling on Bg&e2
No metroid
Mediocre hw rumor backed
Indie dev left behind
No achievemnts
No Zelda at launch
wiiu ports everywhere
no platinum games

So Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot?

Wow at these rumors

Backpedaling on Bg&e2
No metroid
Mediocre hw rumor backed
Indie dev left behind
No achievemnts
No Zelda at launch
wiiu ports everywhere
no platinum games

Troll post, and not even a funny or interesting one.

Wow at these rumors

Backpedaling on Bg&e2
No metroid
Mediocre hw rumor backed
Indie dev left behind
No achievemnts
No Zelda at launch
wiiu ports everywhere
no platinum games

I shouldn't have expected any less lmao.

Seriously this hilarious even coming from you lol.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Wait you guys think Laura has scoops on the japanese stuff ? I really doubt that that her NoE sources would know about any japan only deals for now, since there is no need for NoE to get involved.

shingi70

Banned
What would be Capcoms incentive to put Monster Hunter on the PS4. I gues it can be also put on Vita, but is it really worth it too potentially alienate the Japanese audience if Monster Hunters mainstream western push doesn't work out. Seems like it would be smarter to do another Dragons Dogma game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Now that's accentuating the negative.

I am commenting what Laura discussed today

Which are the positives? A Mario game...from Nintendo?

People will be disappointed but one thing on your list is wrong and that will make a lot of people happy.

Which one?

I expected no less from you Aostia.

I am VERY concerned about how they are and are going to manage what I think could be a goldmine for Nintendo and its costumers. The actual hybrid concept. Pretending this to be just a home console. Especially because in that case would be a nerfed down home console

Is there a roundup of the new rumors?

yes read my list

Would that be SO strange?
Didnt they shot in their feet badly with the wiiu? Name, gimmick, SRP, specs, marketing, internal development, going from the ww success of the wii, their most successfull console ever, to the complete disaster of the wiiu, their worst console ever?

lutheran

So if the chip is really just a downclocked X1 why would they spend 500 man years developing it? Nintendo and especially Nvidia would lose a lot of credibility if they really didn't come up with something good after saying how much work was invested. They know the fanbase is thorough and the machine will be ripped open on day 1 to investigate so why lie? I hope the rumors are just flat out wrong.

So if the chip is really just a downclocked X1 why would they spend 500 man years developing it? Nintendo and especially Nvidia would lose a lot of credibility if they really didn't come up with something good after saying how much work was invested. They know the fanbase is thorough and the machine will be ripped open on day 1 to investigate so why lie? I hope the rumors are just flat out wrong.
Well, the recent Eurogamer Report actually didn't say that the chipset in the final console were X1s. In fact, it was the opposite: they said that some customization was done and that it included some elements of Pascal.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Can someone do a positive version of todays news ? :)

Or just a non-biased would be fine for the people who dont wanna go through the whole Reddit posts.

Doesnt seem there is much new anyway - we will have official information soon anyway. This is only surprising for people who really thought the everything was already leaked or that Laura and Co. had access to everything - which was a crazy thought to begin with.

Mokujin

Would that be SO strange?
Didnt they shot in their feet badly with the wiiu? Name, gimmick, SRP, specs, marketing, internal development, going from the ww success of the wii, their most successfull console ever, to the complete disaster of the wiiu, their worst console ever?

I would think that my quote was easy to reference. Guess I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom