• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDarkness

Have we discussed already GameStop CEO Paul Raines declarations? I've searched and couldn't find anything.

If I'm reading it correctly, does the Switch have motion controls? Or is I just the reporter's assumption?

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/736511/Nintendo-Switch-news-SECRET-new-feature-uncovered-release-date

I think the rumor right now is that it does have motion controls a la Wii remote style. I guess the joycons have motion technology in them and even have pointer functionality. Should be awesome. Looking forward to CoD again with pointer controls (fingers crossed).

Have we discussed already GameStop CEO Paul Raines declarations? I've searched and couldn't find anything.

If I'm reading it correctly, does the Switch have motion controls? Or is I just the reporter's assumption?

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/736511/Nintendo-Switch-news-SECRET-new-feature-uncovered-release-date

Months ago Laura Dale reported the joycons will have full motion sensors similar to wii motion + along with next gen rumble (whatever that means) so we've been assuming that is the case. Nice to get further confirmation though. It would be amazing if Skyrim Switch included an optional 1:1 motion control mode.

vern

It's def got gyro controls. Not really a secret at this point.

Also I know some people have questioned what i know or don't know, but I can say at least initially third party suppprt will be a whole hell of a lot better than Wii U ever was. That should be obvious just with Skyrim itself but I've heard a few other things, nothing earth shattering but definitely very positive with regards to 3rd party.

Neoxon

Months ago Laura Dale reported the joycons will have full motion sensors similar to wii motion + along with next gen rumble (whatever that means) so we've been assuming that is the case. Nice to get further confirmation though. It would be amazing if Skyrim Switch included an optional 1:1 motion control mode.
It'd also be good news for Splatoon since it would retain its gyro-based camera. Hopefully the Pro Controller has gyro in it.

EDarkness

It'd also be good news for Splatoon since it would retain its gyro-based camera. Hopefully the Pro Controller has gyro in it.

I'm looking forward to playing Splatoon with IR. That's the reason I didn't pick it up initially, but with pointing, I'm there day one.

I think the rumor right now is that it does have motion controls a la Wii remote style. I guess the joycons have motion technology in them and even have pointer functionality. Should be awesome. Looking forward to CoD again with pointer controls (fingers crossed).

It's def got gyro controls. Not really a secret at this point.

Good to know. My nephews will definitively enjoy it. I'm not a fan of motion controller tho

Neoxon

I'm looking forward to playing Splatoon with IR. That's the reason I didn't pick it up initially, but with pointing, I'm there day one.
Wouldn't that be an issue since the IR blaster is apparently on the bottom of the Right Joy-Con?

Good to know. My nephews will definitively enjoy it. I'm not a fan of motion controller tho
I mean, having motion controls doesn't hurt you if the option's there. Hell, the DualShock 4 has a gyro in it. Don't like it, don't use motion controls.

I mean, having motion controls doesn't hurt you if the option's there. Hell, the DualShock 4 has a gyro in it. Don't like it, don't use motion controls.

And considering the whole concept of the Switch is based around, well, switching from console to handheld mode at the drop of a hat, I would imagine there will be no motion controls required for most games besides ones like Just Dance.

Edit: Required, meaning I'm sure there will be optional motion controls for many games, like Splatoon and Mario Kart. But I doubt they will be required for most.

EDarkness

And considering the whole concept of the Switch is based around, well, switching from console to handheld mode at the drop of a hat, I would imagine there will be no motion controls required for most games besides ones like Just Dance.

I imagine it'll be an option for those who want to go that route. The thing is the system probably won't come with the pro controller in the box, so split controls will be base when in console mode and dual analog will be base when on the go. With the stand, the split control can still be an option even when not docked. It'll be interesting to see how that functions when they demo the thing in January.

Wouldn't that be an issue since the IR blaster is apparently on the bottom of the Right Joy-Con?

It can work even if the IR sensor is on the bottom. Would make the most sense to put it at the top of the joycon, but oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

SJP4Gkd.png

What Nintendo experience are you most thankful for?

Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, DKC TF

a lot more but those stand out for me

I was gonna get that 99 dollar new 3DS, but then I thought about it and told myself it would be better if I just wait for the Switch. I mean I already have a 2DS so I can still play the fire emblem games.

Did I make the right choice guys?

robotrock

Banned
New random Twitter user 'leak' time:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintenDrawing/status/801856761929940993

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintenDrawing/status/801857037034340352

Dry Freeze sounds rather lame as a title, not implausible, but unlikely. Watch Dogs 2 getting such a late port sounds like Ubisoft to me.

Laura Kate has this to say, however:

(https://mobile.twitter.com/LaurakBu...6?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet)

To me this seems mostly based on prior leaks with weird name guesses added. Thoughts?
What were the tweets? They've been deleted now.

I know they're probably not true at all, I just have to know what Dry Freeze is a subtitle for. Donkey Kong?

I know they're probably not true at all, I just have to know what Dry Freeze is a subtitle for. Donkey Kong?

It was a list of Switch games for the first year or so, and Dry Freeze was the Mario game (I guess they came up with that based on the desert locale and the giant ice chunks in the 6 seconds of footage?)

Dakhil

It was a list of Switch games for the first year or so, and Dry Freeze was the Mario game (I guess they came up with that based on the desert locale and the giant ice chunks in the 6 seconds of footage?)

Here's the tweet: https://twitter.com/NintenDrawing/status/801963551942262784

AdanVC

SJP4Gkd.png

When I played Zelda The Wind Waker for the first time more than 10 years ago on Gamecube. I was 13 years old and I finished the game without guides or help. I felt so proud of finishing such a majestic game by myself. I will never forget the time I navigated into the ocean to reach Dragon Rost Island for the first time ... man, when THIS SONG came in, I totally lost it and it's when I felt in love with the game. I genuinely spend like 10 minutes just listening to that song while admiring the panorama. It was one of those moments on my childhood that I will never forget. Geez I got goosebumps already just by thinking about it! :') I gotta confess, when I played it again on Wind Waker HD on Wii U and reached that part, I cried a little. There, I say it. No shame haha.

Other Nintendo games that I'm thankful for and had a similar effect of epicness in myself are:

-Super Mario 64
-Super Mario Sunshine
-Metroid Prime
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Super Mario 3D World

As you can see, 3D Mario games are literally my everything in gaming and each new entry always manages to literally feel alive again so you can imagine how ultra hyped I am for the new 3D Mario on Nintendo Switch!

I was gonna get that 99 dollar new 3DS, but then I thought about it and told myself it would be better if I just wait for the Switch. I mean I already have a 2DS so I can still play the fire emblem games.

Did I make the right choice guys?
Yeah. You can already play the games, and if you really cared about the stereoscopic 3D you probably wouldn't have got the 2DS.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Given Intelligent Systems's size and their past releases, when do you expect their first game to hit Switch?

I was thinking today that I'm excited for the next Fire Emblem game to release (not the mobile one), but given the specs disparity between 3DS and Switch, I was thinking it might not release until 2018 or maybe 2019 at the earliest as they develop a new HD engine and assets. I'm hoping that Switch enables cel-shaded graphics that approach the painterly artstyle of their cutscenes.

I know there was a rumor that Paper Mario: Color Splash was done for a while before its October release this year, so I guess the Paper Mario team could have already moved onto a new game. They seem to already have an HD engine and assets that they could keep using, so perhaps 2017 or 2018 is possible?

I don't fully understand how the Pushmo, WarioWare, and other random software development projects impact those other teams.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
SJP4Gkd.png

There are so many Nintendo experiences but I think I'm going to share my feeling on three franchises.

1) Super Smash Bros. If it wasn't for Smash Bros, then I wouldn't have met a lot of good friends and best friends. Because of that game, I managed to got myself into a circle of wonderful friends. Also there are SmashGAF and SmashGAF IRC (and Discord), they are full of great people too and I had a lot of fun with everyone involved with Smash Bros Community. Everything have been crazy with a lot of hype trains, like Dojo, POTD, Ballot, etc.

2. Mario Kart, I burnt so many hours with my family relatives and friends. Also there are many great people in MarioKartGAF Community. I love them and (rarely or sometime) hate them at same time because it's freaking Mario Kart which is top contender for breaking so many friendships.

P.S. I hate your triple red shells, you know who I'm talking to.

3. Splatoon, mainly because of SplatGAF Discord, it's full of great people there. They were mostly positive and friendly people I ever seen for awhile in Shooter genre communities. Usually, I have seen a lot of toxic communities when it came down to Shooter Genre tho. SplatGAF, please keep that way long as possible because I really enjoy my staying there.

Speely

Banned
I am most thankful for the fact that Nintendo is still Nintendo after all these years.

I remember the early Sega war years fondly, even as a Sega kid back then. The whole competitive drive from both console makers felt healthy and produced some of the best games I have ever played. Through all of it, Nintendo stayed Nintendo and kept making games built around gameplay, onward until today. Always on their own terms.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
If the Switch is an utter sales flop, is horribly underpowered, works poorly as a portable, and gets near-zero third-party support, I'll still be happy I bought it, provided it has at least as many superb exclusives as the Wii U did. Am I crazy?

Speely

Banned
If the Switch is an utter sales flop, is horribly underpowered, works poorly as a portable, and gets near-zero third-party support, I'll still be happy I bought it, provided it has at least as many superb exclusives as the Wii U did. Am I crazy?

I don't think that makes you crazy. I will buy it too in that case. I just want it to be successful so it can keep going and have even more good games on it that I can play.

Enforced

SJP4Gkd.png

Pretty much lot of NIntendo games from my childhood, even right now with the games I have.

There are so many Nintendo experiences but I think I'm going to share my feeling on three franchises.

1) Super Smash Bros. If it wasn't for Smash Bros, then I wouldn't have met a lot of good friends and best friends. Because of that game, I managed to got myself into a circle of wonderful friends. Also there are SmashGAF and SmashGAF IRC (and Discord), they are full of great people too and I had a lot of fun with everyone involved with Smash Bros Community. Everything have been crazy with a lot of hype trains, like Dojo, POTD, Ballot, etc.

2. Mario Kart, I burnt so many hours with my family relatives and friends. Also there are many great people in MarioKartGAF Community. I love them and (rarely or sometime) hate them at same time because it's freaking Mario Kart which is top contender for breaking so many friendships.

P.S. I hate your triple red shells, you know who I'm talking to.

3. Splatoon, mainly because of SplatGAF Discord, it's full of great people there. They were mostly positive and friendly people I ever seen for awhile in Shooter genre communities. Usually, I have seen a lot of toxic communities when it came down to Shooter Genre tho. SplatGAF, please keep that way long as possible because I really enjoy my staying there.

0mCgiZ7.gif

Aldric

Hey guys l have insider info for you my sources at Nintendo told me the title of the next big 3d Mario is Super Mario Triple Jump ln A Mexican Village.

Like and suscribe for more exclusive leaks that are 100% legit and not literal descriptions of what we've seen in the trailer!

Malakai

Naw. Nintendo will drip drop games releases and port the games that did sell on the Switch on to their next generation system.

You gotta give up on this now. Splatoon was already on a platform that it could've had pointer controls on. The reason it didn't was a design choice, not a matter of capability.

macchatmax

Neo Member
hot news:
gameseek co uk has the Nintendo Switch now for 198,50 GBP with price guarantee as a pre-order ; that basically means that if the price for them is higher, they're making a loss on every pre-order

I think if New 3D Mario really is a launch title, we'll get a full reveal trailer as one of the premieres at The Game Awards next week.

EDarkness

You gotta give up on this now. Splatoon was already on a platform that it could've had pointer controls on. The reason it didn't was a design choice, not a matter of capability.

No idea why they didn't add it in (I'm gonna guess it's because they didn't want people to only be using remotes). However, I doubt very seriously that they're going to be moving to dual analog only. There should be some sort of IR/pointer functionality with the joycons. If not, I won't be buying the game. It's pretty simple for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom