• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

If it was 3 hours at console-mode power, that would definitely explain the higher estimates for the real system. I have doubts that it would run like that for the retail versions.

Hmmm as good as Laura has been with her info that idea doesn't really sound right. If they were getting 3 hours battery life with no overheating at maximum clocks it really wouldn't make sense to downclock so much.

LordKano

Concerning Pokémon :

So I talked to Tom Phillips a lot before he ran his Stars story, as I was also working on the same leak, via different sources. He had a few bits of info I did not so I stepped back and let him handle it.
He was unsure about names Stars and Eclipse, I had only heard Stars.
I have heard 20+ new monsters being saved for Stars. Tom doesn't think that's likely. I honestly do not know if folk would be happy with that or not.

Can someone please ask her spec info like if its using Pascal, or how legit us eurogamer's rumors..

She's completely backing Eurogamer's reports concerning clock speeds.

Neoxon

Smash 4 Switch having minimal additions is a bit disappointing, but at least I can temper my expectations now. As for the "20+ new monsters" thing for Stars, I'm curious to see if she meant just Pokémon who weren't previously in Alola, new Alolan forms of existing Pokémon, or new designs entirely.

mohuerta

Can someone please ask her spec info like if its using Pascal, or how legit us eurogamer's rumors..
LauraKBuzz:
I still think Eurogamer's info is solid, knowing their info sources and their reporting techniques and practices. Most of my confidence in the DF post comes from my willingness to accept EG as having done their homework. I had a single source matching EG. I do not know DF's sources.

Oregano

Oh man. I wonder what they could possibly show? A short teaser? Story trailer? Or something like the first X teaser?

Well presumably they have an engine and tons of assets from X that can be reused so the development cycle could be shorter than it was for X.

AdanVC

I'm pretty excited for Mario Kart Switch honestly. Can't wait to see what they add.

Same! Simply by the fact it seems this port will have a true battle mode feature, plus lot's of new courses and new characters too such as King Boo. MK8 Switch port will finally become the perfect Mario Kart game with the proper battle mode addition.

thefro

Well presumably they have an engine and tons of assets from X that can be reused so the development cycle could be shorter than it was for X.

Right, it's not a generational leap over Wii U.

Remember Xenoblade X came out in April 2015 in Japan, so they've probably had folks working on the next game for a good year or so.

LordKano

I don't see why. It's fantastic, especially in X. They'll have some new mechanics in it for sure.

I didn't think it was so hard to understand.

The game never explained it to me, and I couldn't figure out. And since I could win fights without it, I just gave up.
I really think Monolith Soft should simplify a bit their battle system. It's way too deep for its own good. Just, get rid of unnecessary stuff.

Smash Switch having minimal additions lines up with PushDustIn's sources, who also told him about the Switch receiving Gamecube VC support.

Going by this, we're looking at two new characters, one of them being Ice Climbers, the other being...who knows.

Oregano

Right, it's not a generational leap over Wii U.

Remember Xenoblade X came out in April 2015 in Japan, so they've probably had folks working on the next game for a good year or so.

I remember a data miner also said that there's a bunch of graphical features turned off in Xenoblade X.

Neoxon

Smash Switch having minimal additions lines up with PushDustIn's sources, who also told him about the Switch receiving Gamecube VC support.

Going by this, we're looking at two new characters, one of them being Ice Climbers, the other being...who knows.
If Sakurai's really not involved, they may just pull from content that was cut from Smash 4, which could mean Ice Climbers & whoever the Rhythm Heaven rep was (likely the Chorus Kids). Maybe the 2nd character could be the Inklings if the remaining team wanted to put in the extra work (or if they were worked on alongside the other DLC characters).

mohuerta

Ethernet
Dev kits have ethernet. PRess event and public hands on demo units do not. Not sure if that matches retail. If the press event units are anything to go on you'll need a usb to ethernet dongle again.

Javier

Same! Simply by the fact it seems this port will have a true battle mode feature, plus lot's of new courses and new characters too such as King Boo. MK8 Switch port will finally become the perfect Mario Kart game with the proper battle mode addition.
I'll be happy if it has just 16 additional tracks. With the original 32 base tracks, the 16 extra DLC tracks, and 16 new tracks for the Switch version, that would be a grand total of 64 tracks, making it the ultimate Mario Kart experience.

And that's not even accounting for future DLC MK Switch might get.

Shahadan

Xeno X was a technical experiment iirc. I remember an interview where they basically said they wanted to test and prepare for something bigger.

I think that it was also obviously a test storywise. They didn't want to officially start a new xenosaga-like but they still laid the ground work for that in case this time it sold enough. Which I believe it kinda did. Fairly confident the next one is going to be a sequel, especially if they bother to port X

NateDrake

Her achievement info is interesting and kind of matches with what I've heard. Had been hearing no system-wide achievement system. But if it's tied to My Nintendo like Mario Run that would explain that.

The Metroid dream is dead :
Only the Retro dream has died.

Here is another interesting quote:

Like pretty much every games console, the switch has gone through multiple dev kit iterations. There was one floating around in July a LOT of info on specs has been based on. Another went out to bigger devs in October. Some bigger indies are still working from the July dev kits. The Oct kit is more powerful overall than the July dev kit.

Neither is the one from this picture. https://i1.wp.com/cartridgegames.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/img_1029.jpg

I have seen this image debunked by numerous folk from several different developers.

AdanVC

Sigh, but as long as they are not working on another freaking Donkey Kong game, then it's all good (Don't get me wrong, DKC Tropical Freeze is one of my fave games on Wii U but I would love to see something more from this talented studio.)

The game never explained it to me, and I couldn't figure out. And since I could win fights without it, I just gave up.
I really think Monolith Soft should simplify a bit their battle system. It's way too deep for its own good. Just, get rid of unnecessary stuff.

Unnecessary for you doesn't mean unnecessary for everyone else. Soul Voice was incredibly useful.

Here is another interesting quote:

Doesn't this point to that NathanDrake (I believe it was that poster) rumor being true?

Waji

XenobladeX just had far less direct explanations that the first Xenoblade, that's all. You had to look for yourself. But I see your point.
I may be wrong about how I see your sentence. If "simplify" means "more tutorials" then I agree.

Oh and thanks for the informations earlier by the way !

random25

Smash 4 Switch having minimal additions is a bit disappointing, but at least I can temper my expectations now.

I wouldn't really fault the game if it only had minimal additions. After all, Smash 4 is ridiculously packed in content regardless if we want what's there or not. Even if it's just an additional shop to trade coins for special moves would make me happy.

Metroid could be back as an internally developed game after years of being made outside Nintendo's local studios. Who knows?

Shahadan

I 100% disagree. I hope they always continue to bring a great depth to their systems.
I Hope for the best balance for story and gameplay.

XenobladeX just had far less direct explanations that the first Xenoblade, that's all. You had to look for yourself. But I see your point.

They should definitely remove some stats there are way too many, and also the amount of shit cluttering your inventory and/or your menu screen.
Actually there is too many of everything and some stuff you can get rid of without losing much. That would help in balancing the game this time.

KingBroly

Banned
Metroid could be back as an internally developed game after years of being made outside Nintendo's local studios. Who knows?

HA! They'd rather develop more generic games than ever touch Metroid again. They killed it, and they still don't understand how they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom