• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Zelda can release at launch and third parties wait until June then. They'll even be a bigger install base!
Not a serious suggestion.

Nintendo holding games back to appease third parties is a horrible, horrible idea, especially at launch. No one is buying a Switch for Skyrim. People will buy Skyrim if Nintendo gives them a reason to buy the Switch.

And the examples are?

Uh, every launch ever? Nintendo tends to launch with three or four first party titles.

Oregano

If square wanted to desperately push PS4 in Japan they wouldn't have made DQXI for 3DS. Square wants to make money, that's why FF15 and KH3 were announced for Xbox back when MS dominated global console sales.

Japan is handheld territory and Switch is a handheld. If Switch can run KH3 it will be on it.

DQXI was a guaranteed 3DS release after IX's sales. The fact that they're going to the effort of making a separate PS4 version is a testament for how much they want to push it. People from Square Enix have said as much as well, including Yuji Horii.

Nintendo holding games back to appease third parties is a horrible, horrible idea, especially at launch. No one is buying a Switch for Skyrim. People will buy Skyrim if Nintendo gives them a reason to buy the Switch.

Agreed.

Betty

Banned
If DQXI is on UE4 and can run on Switch I think SE would try to get KH running on it. There's been over a decade of a growing fan base on Nintendo portables.
7 Remake is less likely, tho

They won't even give you the easy as piss to port collection of the previous titles.

Even if the console hit Wii levels of success it just won't get it.

Debirudog

It's as if Square never published KH games on a Nintendo system before....

I'm not guaranteeing it but I could see it happening.

Neoxon

Uh, every launch ever? Nintendo tends to launch with three or four first party titles.
That reason could be either 3D Mario or Zelda, no need for both. And the desired example was for Nintendo's two biggest IPs having mainline entries on Day 1.

sanstesy

Yes, 2-4 first-party games with a limited fanbase like Pilotwings, Wave Race, Mario spin-offs or new actual unproven IPs. Not actually a new mainline Mario game, new mainline Zelda game and Splatoon, three of the biggest IPs Nintendo currently has. Not at all comparable.

That reason could be either 3D Mario or Zelda, no need for both. And the desired example was for Nintendo's two biggest IPs having mainline entries on Day 1.

On one system? True, I can't think of an example. But Nintendo has released two big AAA titles on the same day multiple times.

If Mario and Zelda are both ready to go, Nintendo should release both in March. The only scenario I see that stops this from happening is the need to have a big game in May or June. But I'm hoping Nintendo already has a game slotted for that period.

Mario and Zelda in March would turn so many heads and would be genius.

Yes, 2-4 first-party games with a limited fanbase like Pilotwings, Wave Race, Mario spin-offs or new actual unproven IPs. Not actually a new mainline Mario game, new mainline Zelda game and Splatoon, three of the biggest IPs Nintendo currently has. Not at all comparable.

Splatoon is an enhanced port and is likely a lock for launch, regardless of what else releases. I don't think it's all that relevant to the conversation.

As for your main point, it's a fair analysis but if I'm Nintendo, I'm making sure this launch is something consumers are forced to take notice of.

Now, if they want to do Zelda (or Mario) in March and Mario (or Zelda) in May, that would be a good alternative.

Roo

They won't even give you the easy as piss to port collection of the previous titles.

Even if the console hit Wii levels of success it just won't get it.

I think there's a chance it'll come to Switch but it's definitely not a safe bet.

Betty

Banned
It's as if Square never published KH games on a Nintendo system before....

I'm not guaranteeing it but I could see it happening.

I remember before the Wii U came out and we got the GTAV trailer, every Nintendo fan speculated it looked too good for current gen so it MUST be a Wii U exclusive.

Seriously.

Then E3 came along and an open world game was teased you got... Lego Undercover.

It ain't coming to Switch.

AzaK

The thing they need more than "third parties at launch" is showing upcoming third party games will be releasing on Switch as well. If we hear about 2017's games all coming to Switch then that will be a good start......and then of course we want them to actually appear.

Gleethor

Honestly if 3rd parties want to move units, they should consider not selling late ports for $60 (they will not consider this). Skyrim can probably get away with it, it's certainly worth $60 to someone who's never played it, but I can't justify double dipping at that price especially when Mario and/or Zelda are there day one.

I think the vast majority of my double dipping will come from indie games precisely because it's much less of a hit to my wallet to do so.

Shenmue 3 is part funded by Sony, it's going to be PS4 exclusive.

We compiled a list of Japanese UE4 games earlier in the thread.

FFVIIR
KH2.8
KH3
DQXI
Tekken 7
MVC: Infinite
Let it Die
Bloodstained

4 Goddesses Online
Ace Combat 7

The bolded are the most likely to release on Switch IMO. I really wouldn't expect KH or FFVII.
Maybe? :p
Cloud Storms into Battle !

don't care personally but if you want to find some hope somewhere...

sanstesy

This need people feel for Nintendo to go "all-in at launch and release every major IP they have at launch" because that will single-handily regain consumer trust is one of the funniest & most bogus things I read in recent history. You have literally learned nothing from the Wii U or even any other succesful console unit in history.

Take your fanboy goggles off.

This need people feel for Nintendo to go "all-in at launch and release every major IP they have at launch" because that will single-handily regain consumer trust is one of the funniest & most bogus things I read in recent history. You have literally learned nothing from the Wii U or even any other succesful console unit in history.

Take your fanboy goggles off.

No one wants or expects every Nintendo IP at launch. No one's asking for Pokemon, Metroid, or Animal Crossing. Stop making shit up and stop with the lame fanboy attack, simply because someone disagrees with you. Incredibly immature.

I just want Next Level Games to make another Punch-Out!

I like you.

Nintendo competes with themselves all the time. Particularly during a console launch.

They don't?

Super Famicom/SNES[edit]
Japanese launch: November 21, 1990

F-Zero
Super Mario World

U.S. launch: August 19, 1991

F-Zero
Gradius III
Pilotwings
SimCity
Super Mario World

2 completely different genres (and public!!!) in Japan. A lot of third party on US

Japanese launch: June 23, 1996

Pilotwings 64
Saikyō Habu Shōgi
Super Mario 64

U.S. launch: September 29, 1996

Pilotwings 64
Super Mario 64

exact same situation for 64

Japanese launch: September 14, 2001

Luigi's Mansion
Super Monkey Ball
Wave Race: Blue Storm

U.S. launch: November 18, 2001

All-Star Baseball 2002
Batman: Vengeance
Crazy Taxi
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2
Disney's Tarzan Untamed
Luigi's Mansion
Madden NFL 2002
NHL Hitz 20-02
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Super Monkey Ball
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Wave Race: Blue Storm

Yet the same thing again, except a much bigger third party line-up

U.S. launch: November 19, 2006

Call of Duty 3
Cars
Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Excite Truck
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
GT Pro Series
Happy Feet
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Madden NFL 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Monster 4x4: World Circuit
Need for Speed: Carbon
Rampage: Total Destruction
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Wii Sports (bundled with the Wii console)

Japanese launch: December 2, 2006

Crayon Shin-chan: Saikyou Kazoku Kasukabe King Wii
Elebits
Ennichi no Tatsujin
Kororinpa
Machi-Kuru Domino
Necro-Nesia
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
SD Gundam: Scad Hammers
Super Swing Golf
Tamagotchi: Party On!
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
WarioWare: Smooth Moves
Wii Play
Wii Sports
Wing Island

European launch: December 8, 2006

Barnyard
Call of Duty 3
Cars
Far Cry Vengeance
GT Pro Series
Happy Feet
Madden NFL 07
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Monster 4x4: World Circuit
Need for Speed: Carbon
Open Season
Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection
Rampage: Total Destruction
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Red Steel
SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Super Fruit Fall
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Double Agent
Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Wii Play
Wii Sports (Bundled with the Wii console)

again, twilight princess and Wii Sport, really different

Wii U[edit]
U.S. launch: November 18, 2012

Assassin's Creed III
Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition
Ben 10: Omniverse
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Chasing Aurora
Darksiders II
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
ESPN Sports Connection
FIFA Soccer 13
Funky Barn
Game Party Champions
Just Dance 4
Little Inferno
Madden NFL 13
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition
Nano Assault Neo
NBA 2K13
New Super Mario Bros. U
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Nintendo Land
Rabbids Land
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sing Party
Skylanders: Giants
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
Transformers: Prime – The Game
Trine 2: Director's Cut
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Wipeout 3
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU~

European launch: November 30, 2012

007 Legends
Assassin's Creed III
Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition
Ben 10: Omniverse
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Chasing Aurora
Darksiders II
Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Family Party: 30 Great Games Obstacle Arcade
FIFA 13
Funky Barn
Game Party Champions
Just Dance 4
Little Inferno
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
Nano Assault Neo
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Puddle
Rabbids Land
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game
Skylanders: Giants
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sports Connection
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
Transformers: Prime – The Game
Trine 2: Director's Cut
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
ZombiU

Nintendo Land and Mario, again no real big overlap like Zelda and Mario.

Releasing both would be a terrible idea and would end up hurting both games and their launch. Competing with oneself is a terrible terrible idea and the Vita is there to show us that.

Betty

Banned
Man you are adamant about this in an arrogant way. It's like you can't even entertain the thought.

Worst part is Square can't even claim console power as the reason like they could've for the Wii or Wii U, but it still won't come out.

Also I'd really love it we went to video game worlds in a future Kingdom Hearts, a pokemon or mario or zelda world would complete my life.

They don't?

2 completely different genres (and public!!!) in Japan. A lot of third party on US

exact same situation for 64

Yet the same thing again, except a much bigger third party line-up

again, twilight princess and Wii Sport, really different

Nintendo Land and Mario, again no real big overlap like Zelda and Mario.

Releasing both would be a terrible idea and would end up hurting both games and their launch. Competing with oneself is a terrible terrible idea and the Vita is there to show us that.

Launching both on day one isn't going to hurt either game . These are evergreen titles that Nintendo will be advertising three years from now.

It's time you opened your eyes to the glorious one-two punch of Mario and Zelda in Mach. On a $199 Switch.

And Switch won't.

I also wouldn't be surprised if KH3 is on Xbox One in the west only.

You really have no reason to be this confident. If the system can handle it, it should be at least considered considering Japan is very handheld focused. It's only logical to at least consider. Square doesn't give a crap about trying to make the PS4 successful. They want to make money like any other business.

jmizzal

giphy.gif

Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't going to come to the Switch.

I'd bet on it.

But its coming to Xbox one which sells like crap in Japan, and Switch well sell great in Japan, wouldnt make any sense at all

Charamiwa

Banned
Hey the new Kingdom Hearts HD collection comes out March 28th on PS4. You know what else comes out in March? Sora is making the switch baby, don't even try to deny it

Betty

Banned
You really have no reason to be this confident. If the system can handle it, it should be at least considered considering Japan is very handheld focused. It's only logical to at least consider. Square doesn't give a crap about trying to make the PS4 successful. They want to make money like any other business.

Exactly, it should be on the console but in my heart of hearts it won't.

But its coming to Xbox one which sells like crap in Japan, and Switch well sell great in Japan, wouldn't make any sense at all

I know, it's messed up.

Steiner

Banned
I've seen it referenced multiple times, but this is my first time reading through this feature from Eurogamer: The Secret Developers: Wii U - the inside story

If you haven't taken the time to read this article, you definitely should. It details, with sobriety and transparency, just what made the Wii U so difficult to develop for (for third party publishers).

I'm wondering how many of these issues we think will be alleviated with what Nintendo has decided to do with the Switch. I gleaned three major problems from the article, and I'm wondering if all three have been, and will be, addressed.

1. The Wii U had pretty extreme CPU limitations. I'm not the most tech-savvy person, but it doesn't seem like there has been too much negative talk about the CPUs inside of the Switch. Though they be clocked very modestly, it sounds like it will still be a capable current-gen machine. Of course we won't know for sure until we see the games, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong here.

2. Nintendo was slow to communicate with and help developers. Apparently any time there was a problem or developers had questions or issues with the hardware, they would have to send their questions to Japan and wait for those questions, and answers, to be translated and returned. I'm hoping that now, since Nintendo is partnered with Nvidia, that Nvidia itself will have dedicated teams and representatives to help developers as they optimize and build their games for the Switch. We'll have experts intimately familiar with this custom GPU and system as a whole to aid publishers when they need it, and even when they don't.

3. Launch sales were anemic. Time will tell, of course, but I feel like the Switch will enjoy a great launch. Assuming the price is right, I feel like most enthusiasts and casual gamers are already planning to pick one up. That's the vibe I get, anyway. If nothing else, Nintendo has marketed the Switch MUCH better than it did the Wii U. People actually know what it is; they know why it's called the Switch; they know what makes it different from the PS4 and Xbox One, besides having Nintendo games.

Are there any other major issues that the Wii U faced, as discussed in that article, that Nintendo hasn't addressed with the Switch?

Exactly, it should be on the console but in my heart of hearts it won't.

I know, it's messed up.

We will see I guess. It just seems so logical to me considering consoles are pretty much dead in Japan. Square would be silly not to strongly consider it, but I guess weirder things have happened.

Yeah Punch-Out was great but Metroid Prime Federation Force was a piece of crap insulting the fans and Luigi's Mansion 2 was a treason and one of the biggest disappointment I've got for the past decade.

OHHH! I forgot they made Fed Force. Personally, I never cared much for the Prime games, but I see why the game is so hated. I mean, who approved that final boss? That's a borderline direct insult to the fans! Meh, Dark Moon changed a lot, but I chalk that up to it being portable in nature, and thus requiring shorter missions. Hopefully, a new Mansion would take cues from the original game, with a broad mansion to explore and unique Portrait Ghosts to fight!

They need to be even more involved then. There's something wrong with NLG if two of the biggest 3DS's turds are from them.

They're very involved. It's probably be pretty tough to be more so.

Federation Force seems like a project made relatively quickly to pad the 3DS lineup for 2016. It was apparently a concept being thrown around for years that Tanabe finally decided to go through with.

Launching both on day one isn't going to hurt either game . These are evergreen titles that Nintendo will be advertising three years from now.

It's time you opened your eyes to the glorious one-two punch of Mario and Zelda in Mach. On a $199 Switch.

Except it will and I'm sure the Mario team would love the extra time. There will be two Nintendo titles, but I don't think they're doing this mistake. People won't buy both, they will have to chose one and buy the other one later or maybe never even. That would be terrible business practice and, like I said, Nintendo has yet to do this.

They need to be even more involved then. There's something wrong with NLG if two of the biggest 3DS's turds are from them.

But Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon is actually really really good...? I mean it's not the original, but it's its own thing and very fun.

Makes the European only delay seem more likely. Her other sources are all European if I recall correctly. And those were the ones saying it had been delayed.
So launch for NA and Japan but delay for Europe.

But if the Switch is region free people in Europe can import anyway...

Makes me wonder if it is just a flipped schedule like SMS (EDIT: metroid prime not SMS) and TWW back in the day. Maybe Zelda makes launch in NOA with Mario coming in June and vice versa for Europe. I mean it's not as likely in today's age but it's not impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom