• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Topo

The audience for ME:A is on the other consoles and PC. I don't think there's all that much reason to bring the game to Switch, unless they can somehow get people to double dip due to portability.
Makes more sense for them to push out some more DLC instead, no?

Nudull

Banned
The audience for ME:A is on the other consoles and PC. I don't think there's all that much reason to bring the game to Switch, unless they can somehow get people to double dip due to portability.

Considering that it is a sort-of "reboot" for Mass Effect, it makes more sense than porting ME3 on the Wii U and nothing else. It may find a bit of an audience for those new to the franchise.

oti

Banned
So, if Zelda is day one, will Mario still be, too, do we think? Apologies if this was already covered!
I say no, it's a Holiday 2017 game. Listen to me. Don't listen to the others. :p
If the NS gains traction out of the gate, they'll put ME:A on it. That will be true for a lot of games, honestly.
Even then I'm not so sure.

Is there already multiplayer announced for Mass Effect? I bet it'll be another one of those "games as a service" multiplayer modes with EXP, loot and chests to open for skins etc. I bet EA would rather put more resources into that thing than a Switch version. In the end it could be more profitable to catch some whales in Mass Effect for PS4/Xbox/PC than releasing the game on Switch.

MacTag

Banned
Bad in Japan but pretty good in the west. Think it was like ~350K in Japan and ~500K in the US, no idea about Europe.
It shipped 650k in the west for it's first month and half, sold over 200k it's first NPD. The US has always been KH's biggest market by a wide margin (usually about 50% of worldwide) so I'd expect EU sales to likely be a bit lower and closer to Japan.

I think creamsugar put US ltd at ~550k last time he/she gave us 3rd party handheld totals (end of 2013 or early 2014?) and I expect it'd be a bit higher by now given KH games tend to be leggy sellers. Can't find creamsugar's post now though to make sure.

MacTag

Banned
Sales were comparable to Birth by Sleep on PSP I believe.
Worldwide perhaps. Worse in Japan but likely better in the US.

Even on PSP BBS managed to sell over 500k in the US. COM was just under a million and 358/2D well over a million.

That's part of Nintendo's problem. They need to get that type of support so that you don't see people saying "Oh, that game doesn't have an audience on a Nintendo platform". It's not at all healthy for a platform to have that type of mentality surrounding it.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
We don't know about mario. They don't have to aim at the same target.
Mario could be more mainstream, maybe even multiplayer focus for all we know.

Yes but what would they use to sustain the following months up to the holidays?
Pokemon stars being a fall game could work but Mario & Zelda in March and poke in november sounds unbalanced

It shipped 650k in the west for it's first month and half, sold over 200k it's first NPD. The US has always been KH's biggest market by a wide margin (usually about 50% of worldwide) so I'd expect EU sales to likely be a bit lower and closer to Japan.

I think creamsugar put US ltd at ~550k last time he/she gave us 3rd party handheld totals (end of 2013 or early 2014?) and I expect it'd be a bit higher by now given KH games tend to be leggy sellers. Can't find creamsugar's post now though to make sure.

Funny enough KH3D got a reprint at that time, as I remember my local EBGames in Canada all of the sudden had sealed copies.

Josh5890

That's part of Nintendo's problem. They need to get that type of support so that you don't see people saying "Oh, that game doesn't have an audience on a Nintendo platform". It's not at all healthy for a platform to have that type of mentality surrounding it.

Bingo. I own all Nintendo consoles and I play the "playstation/PC" games too. I would buy most 3rd party games on the Switch if they are available. I don't have PS+ anymore so playing online for free on a console is a big selling point for me.

El Topo

But you don't get rid of that perception by having a handful of 3rd party games. It's all or nothing.
We *know* these games will get support on other the platforms, we *know* these games will come to the other platforms, we *know* the community for those games is on the other platforms already.

Oersted

With the exception of Mario Kart and Smash, I buy exclusively third party games on Nintendo consoles.

I guess I am doing it wrong.

May as well share this if it hasn't been already:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...eculation_so_my_local_gamestop_just_asked_me/
http://gonintendo.com/stories/271139-rumor-german-retailer-lists-various-switch-launch-titles-relea

Basically someone at Reddit went to a German store (didn't notice which), and said they listed 15 games, not sure if all are for launch, but all are just ones we've heard like Mario, Splatoon, and even Dragon Quest 11.

But another is just "Sonic". Now it could be just Project Sonic 2017, but what I want to talk about is what else it could be. We haven't talked much about Sonic have we? :p

I may as well also share an article I did all about Sonic on the Switch which I'm pretty happy about:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/1...-future-and-potential-on-the-nintendo-switch/

I'm hoping it's an unannounced Sonic game (because we know Project Sonic 2017 is coming :p), and I hope it's either a retail release of Sonic Mania, or preferably, a port of Sonic Generations HD.

Sega to me NEEDS a Sonic game at Switch's launch, since All-Stars Racing Transformed did VERY well on Wii U, better than on PS3 and 360... combined... at launch.

A port of Generations HD would be a brilliant move as one, Nintendo fans never got the proper version of the game, and two, it'd be a nice warm-up for Project Sonic 2017 which looks to be all but a sequel.

Thoughts?

Are we talking about the same Miyamoto who said:

when asked about a new rumoured 3ds model that was actually announced some days later at E3?

Miyamoto is as much of a PR machine as Reggie, but we don't get to hear him in English.

He was asked about adding a fucking second circle pad to a 3DS redesign, it was never in reference to the inevitable bigger versions. (which makes his comments, at the time, true)

He never pretended Nintendo wouldn't update their handhelds. They've done so literally since they created the market.

Not surprising after how badly ME3 flopped on Wii U.

I don't want to say EA deserved it, but them releasing ME3 on wii u in the same time as releasing ME Trilogy to all the other platforms was a big slap in the face to wii u owners. But perhaps they thought it wasn't worth the risk in $$$ porting all three. Who knows how it would have sold.

Bingo. I own all Nintendo consoles and I play the "playstation/PC" games too. I would buy most 3rd party games on the Switch if they are available. I don't have PS+ anymore so playing online for free on a console is a big selling point for me.

And that's what Nintendo needs to find out. I can understand why third party publishers might be hesitant to support it, but it's Nintendo's job to convince them to give it a chance. We'd seen quotes from Nintendo in the past about how they'll let third party publishers come to them instead of trying to lure them. That can't happen with the Switch. They need to go hard for every single publisherthat they can even if they fail in some cases.

But you don't get rid of that perception by having a handful of 3rd party games. It's all or nothing.
We *know* these games will get support on other platforms, we *know* the community for those games is on other platforms already.

They've got to start somewhere. Sure, ME:A isn't going to sell as much on the Switch as it will on other platforms, but it doesn't necessarily need to. What it needs to do is show that there is an audience there for it. Is it possible that there isn't a market there for it? Definitely. But it's impossible to no for sure right now. If ME:A launched the same day as the other versions then we'd get a good idea of what its market looks like on a Nintendo platform. Again, no one would expect it to sell as much as the other versions. But if people believe a five year old port in Skyrim could find a market on the Switch, the n what's stopping ME:A?

Dremorak

Banned
Not sure why people are calling Kingdom Hearts DDD a spin off, its practically a prequel to KH3, which is why they are releasing it with 2.8. It rolls directly into 3, ties all the pieces together and anyone who has played it knows exactly what to expect with 3.

Not sure why people are calling Kingdom Hearts DDD a spin off, its practically a prequel to KH3, which is why they are releasing it with 2.8. It rolls directly into 3, ties all the pieces together and anyone who has played it knows exactly what to expect with 3.

People probably refer to it as a spinoff because the Kingdom Hearts franchise is a completely mismanaged, impenetrable clusterfuck.

TDLink

It's a spin off because it has a terrible pokemon mechanic rather than real party members and they wasted great world picks by making them empty as hell.

Luigi's Mansion 2 was a well made game but making it more linear through missions on multiple mansions.
Unfortunate that FF turned out poorly since the people involved were pretty talented

Oregano

@Hero of Legend

I'd say it's pretty clear they're just listing the games that are publicly announced for Switch. No way retailers would know about Dragon Quest XI at this point.

Luigi's Mansion 2 was great. I'd love to see NLG make another one.

It really was. I love that Nintendo included online too, when genre's that SHOULD get online modes from them usually don't. lol But there were rumors of Lugi's Mansion 3 coming to Wii U years ago, so my guess is that game has been in development for a while.

Oregano

So, no Mass Effect, no Read Dead 2, no Overwatch etc?

That sounds like a Nintendo console indeed... :/

It wouldn't be possible for Nintendo to get all that support overnight even if they decided to shift their focus to that segment exclusively. Coming off the Wii U there's going to be reluctance.

The fact that they've secured at least some support including from Bethesda shows positive signs.

J@hranimo

Banned

That's extremely unrealistic, especially at launch. I feel like the console would need a good 18 months to 2 years on the market with great sales to even consider it.

Neoxon

I don't think any of us expected Rockstar to be on-board or for EA to give the Switch any of their major non-sports titles. Though this does raise the question of if they even bothered to get Frostbite running on the Switch. I know FIFA 17 uses it of their sports games, but I'm not sure about Madden. Blizzard is a toss-up, but I'm guessing that they're gonna take the wait-&-see stance (for both the audience & to see how Nintendo handles their online infrastructure).

Oregano

Why? It's a console just like ms and sony has and should be open to 3rd-party.

It's not getting the hottest 3rd-party games even before the console is available. THAT could be a problem.

It is open to third parties but it's coming off the Wii U. PS4 and XBO were coming off PS3 and 360.

Or a Nintendo handheld. Should still be good.
I wouldn't expect anything good from EA and Rockstar on it at any case
For EA I'm just hoping they don't show up at launch with the year old port of Madden/FIFA and then skip this year's version because their poor efforts resulted in poor sales

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
As a better reference, here's the list of UE4-developed games

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Category:Games

Of course, we should filter out the older ones (like those from 2014 and up to mid-2015), and maybe highlight the ones from Japan, considering it's the territory manager of EG Japan we're talking about.

Honestly if 3rd parties want to move units, they should consider not selling late ports for $60.
For sure, but you have to consider that NS was supposed to launch this Holiday so some late ports from this Holiday will likely appear like Watch Dogs 2 or COD. Nintendo's fault on those games.

Also am I the only one sick of everyone saying Splatoon is an enhanced port? All you have to do is look at the footage which literally has zero old content in it to see its a sequel. Its really annoying.

Also yeah: I totally expect Zelda at launch since it was at TGA and late night but as long as Mario Switch or Splatoon 2 is at launch I'll be fine. After Pokemon Stars rumor came out I'll just wait for bews since Stars sound the least likely of anything considering GF moved away from third versions and a S/M sequel is set up in S/M.

Vibranium

Banned
Luigi's Mansion 2 was great. I'd love to see NLG make another one.

Yep, though I think everyone would like them to do away with segmented mission structure and go back to an open mansion like the first game.

I see NLG making LM3 for Switch, Dark Moon was a big success.

Trident

Loaded With Aspartame
For sure, but you have to consider that NS was supposed to launch this Holiday so some late ports from this Holiday will likely appear like Watch Dogs 2 or COD. Nintendo's fault on those games.

Also am I the only one sick of everyone saying Splatoon is an enhanced port? All you have to do is look at the footage which literally has zero old content in it to see its a sequel. Its really annoying.

Also yeah: I totally expect Zelda at launch since it was at TGA and late night but as long as Mario Switch or Splatoon 2 is at launch I'll be fine. After Pokemon Stars rumor came out I'll just wait for bews since Stars sound the least likely of anything considering GF moved away from third versions and a S/M sequel is set up in S/M.

What splatoon footage?

Debirudog

Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon is pretty much a different beast than the first game. A lot less atmospheric but it's got a more expressive charm to it thanks to the spoopy enemies and Luigi's animations. I think the level design is also pretty solid too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom