• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Funny when you mentioned the lack of Netflix and such apps everyone had a pitchfork out. Even when I backed your info lol.

he said that Switch wouldn't have those apps because it's a game console so that's why people called him out.

If he said that Nintendo Switch wouldn't have those apps at launch then I would see people reacted differently tho.

At the end of the day. Does it really matter if streaming apps are not available Day 1?

Yeah is sucks, but at this point I think most of us have multiple ways of using these apps. I don't think it's that big of a deal.

But I understand if criticism a raises since it's tablet like and has a stand making it useful for watching shows.

NateDrake

he said that Switch wouldn't have those apps because it's a game console so that's why people called him out.

If he said that Nintendo Switch wouldn't have those apps at launch then I would see people reacted differently tho.

That's fair. I thought I shared info on the possibility of them coming at a later time somewhere in this thread, and that what Vern was sharing was accurate info of the time.

Well it is better to start leaking the bad news now and give it a day or so to burn off. Not to distract from the games and other positives from the conference.

$299 would be bad, no media apps is bad, if there isn't as much third party support as we hoped, it is better to release that information now as well.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That's fair. I thought I shared info on the possibility of them coming at a later time somewhere in this thread, and that what Vern was sharing was accurate info of the time.

Yes, you did. I remembered you chimed in and share your thought on the matter.

I'll expand slightly on this and add that such apps could come to the device. It's best not to read into this and have a takeaway of "No entertainment apps" or anything of the sort. Things change and are added quite often.

I can see apps like Netflix missing launch and becoming available down the line.

antonz

Well it is better to start leaking the bad news now and give it a day or so to burn off. Not to distract from the games and other positives from the conference.

$299 would be bad, no media apps is bad, if there isn't as much third party support as we hoped, it is better to release that information now as well.

Best buy has it in their computer for $249. Best Buy also guarantees that if the final price is higher you still pay the lower price. So there is no way they are going $249 on a 300+ item

AzaK

$249.99 is a great price for it, but I don't think people should be expecting anything more than 32 GB. I can't think of a piece of tech outside of certain Chinese smartphones that have 64 GB of flash storage in that price range.

Well Nintendo can probably buy MicroSD cards in bulk for cents, so it would be nice for them to throw in a 128 or greater one in the pack.

randome

Will the Switch be more underpowered, more expensive, and have less support than everyone though? Why couldn't Nintendo figure it out this time?

vern

Funny when you mentioned the lack of Netflix and such apps everyone had a pitchfork out. Even when I backed your info lol.

Just two misinformed fake insiders in a pod, you and I.

I said plans are subject to change, I'm sure you could dig up posts were I clarified that I didn't expect them at launch specifically. It wasn't because it was a games console, obviously game consoles have those kinds of apps, it was because Nintendo was pitching the idea of strictly a games console, with no extraneous glfeatires that distract from the games, to the people I know. If you recall I also mentioned a lot of it was my speculation, like a lack of web browser for example.

so what's this about streaming apps? do you know when they're supposed to release if not at launch?

I was told months ago, I believe my first post regarding this was October, that they weren't planning to have any 3rd party entertainment apps, at least initially. Since I mentioned that I also have always maintained that plans are subject to change... I have heard nothing indicating that they have changed and nothing indicating that they haven't. Im just as eager to know the truth about the OS and features as anyone else.

From what I remember:
-Free online at launch
-Platinum has been working on a game with Nintendo since Bayonetta 2
-Koei Tecmo is working on a Nintendo IP that isn't Zelda or Star Fox
-Exclusive Shin Megami Tensei

It's interesting how we got the Scalebound cancellation and the SMT anniversary site after he made those predictions.

Well I don't know anything about Japanese software so...

Scrawnton

Will the Switch be more underpowered, more expensive, and have less support than everyone though? Why couldn't Nintendo figure it out this time?
They figured it out. They're making one system where they're putting their full development might behind. If Switch got the 3rd party support 3DS did plus all of Nintendo's muscle, we are in for a treat.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I said plans are subject to change, I'm sure you could dig up posts were I clarified that I didn't expect them at launch specifically. It wasn't because it was a games console, obviously game consoles have those kinds of apps, it was because Nintendo was pitching the idea of strictly a games console, with no extraneous glfeatires that distract from the games, to the people I know. If you recall I also mentioned a lot of it was my speculation, like a lack of web browser for example.

Yeah, I had to ask a question and I got an answer from you along with Nathan Drake. That's when I started to back out because it would make sense if apps are coming out later on.

Just bear with me and trying to understand where other posters came from so take a look at this quote,

Don't get your hopes up for a bunch of bells and whistles like web browser or Netflix... I'll be very shocked if they are there. Heard multiple times they won't be. It's a games machine.

I don't blame people if they jump into the conclusion with that post. I know you elaborated more later on but sometime the post without details would make a huge impression for some people and they would jump into conclusion, like I did.

Compsiox

Banned
Free online at launch?

What is this ridiculousness?

Nintendo Network and Nintendo Network Pro. All online services will be free for everyone but if you want to help with maintaining the new dedicated servers you can get Pro.

Nintendo Network Pro ($3.99/month) includes:
  • Ability to play 1 Virtual Console game per month for free (Gets removed from inventory after month ends)
  • 5 Nintendo Club Gold Coins/month
  • 2 day early access to Nintendo game demos

This would be preferable.

antonz

But this point can't they be either $249 (Bestbuy) or $299 (Target) as both are place holders. Is one more reliable than the other?

Well Best Buy Promises you the lower price on preorder if the price turns out to be higher . So If it sells for 300+ then all those $249 preorders cost BestBuy $50 each.

Its not in best buys interest to place it cheaper than expected

Shiggy

No media apps at launch? That's rather surprising. Before the Chromecast, the Wii was our Netflix and Amazon machine (for the latter still is). The technology should be there, Factor 5 and SmoothVOD have worked on various streaming apps across all platforms.

I'm so ready! After all this waiting its finally upon us.

Gonna wake up early in the morning to catch the presentation then straight to a press event to try the switch out.

Finally, its almost here. See you on the other side.

t1484280000z1.png

one day Time Machines will change our suffering

SuperSah

Banned
I honestly do not see Nintendo charging for online.

They're taking the piss if they do though, their online structure is pretty poor and when compared to the others, it does not deserve my money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom