• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch eShops from other regions can easily be accessed

TimmiT

86N3DnV.png

3l3XTag.png

OtsO5TV.png

sKOsIQA.png

ZztoR6t.png
Via LauraKBuzz and VOOK64 on Twitter.

So this is pretty great. Appears to work just like on PS4.

You can even use your local country's credit card and purchase games with it in other country's eShops (According to LauraK, Dystify and VOOKS, all on Twitter).

This is amazing and a true game changer.
It's even easier than on PS4.

Phoenixus

Guess I'll be trying out the Dragon Quest Heroes demo tomorrow then, awesome. :D

When Nintendo says they're going region free, they go all the way. :p

One of those points is important to remember before we get any mistakes. It seems the base game and DLC need to be from the same region.

This balances out the friend code thing.

The friend code thing isn't even that big of an issue.
It would be an issue if 1) we had no other options 2) if we had friend codes per game, like on DS.
We do have other options (adding via Super Mario Run and Miitomo) and we have only one code per account. So this really is a total non-issue.

CDX

You can even use your local country's credit card and purchase games with it in other country's eShops (According to LauraK, Dystify and VOOKS, all on Twitter).

Really?

According to LauraK and our very own Dystify: Yes, you can!

It's what I've always wanted for a region free system. No more buying foreign gift cards.

Camjo-Z

You can even use your local country's credit card and purchase games with it in other country's eShops.

WOAH

Now I'm actually excited for Virtual Console. So many Japan-exclusive games that will finally be easy to get.

Cepheus

Nice! :) That means people outside Japan could finally play Mother 3 legally, even if they don't make an English translation in the end.

Shiggy

What happens if you change the region of your Nintendo Account? Can you then access the eShop of the new region or do you need to create a new account? What happens to your existing purchases if you can keep on using the same account?

CDX

WOAH

Now I'm actually excited for Virtual Console. So many Japan-exclusive games that will finally be easy to get.

I was always envious of the Japanese VC. So many games.

Also, now Europe never has to buy 50hz VC games again.

Other

One of those points is important to remember before we get any mistakes. It seems the base game and DLC need to be from the same region.

Well yeah of course, that's nothing new, it's the same as any other region free system. Each region's release has a different id and it wants the dlc that matches that id, same as PS3, PS4, Vita, Xbone, ectera

Might be able to get some games cheaper on the American store than the UK one. For instance FAST RMX is $19.99 and £16.99 but $19.99 converts directly to £16.27. Saving some pennies!

Top Bottom