• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch eShops from other regions can easily be accessed

So I have a Nintendo account configured to Canada. It is linked with my NNID that is also Canadian because the Wii U/3DS eShop wouldn't let me use my Peruvian credit card but the Canadian eShop did.
My question is: Can I change my Nintendo account region to USA without unlinking my NNID or both Nintendo Account and NNID have to be from the same region?
I'm in a similar position. I think I'll just make a new Nintendo Account with its region set to USA and have them both. I don't think you can change region without unlinking your NNID.

ALL THOSE JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES!!!

Best news.
I want to try this with one account though.
I know you lose your balance... but I've literally never had an eShop balance. I just pay the exact amount whenever I buy something. Why would I just leave money lying there...?
If we can switch a single account at will this'll be perfect.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Some info from Eurogamer here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...o-switch-lets-you-browse-other-regions-eshops

Accessing these stores isn't difficult - you need a new profile on your Switch and a fresh Nintendo Account created on your PC or smartphone to link it to. You pick the region for your profile during the Nintendo Account setup. Your Switch will then let you sign in and link the two. And that's it.

Booting the eShop app asks which profile you want to use to access it. Pick a profile tied to a European Nintendo Account and you'll get the EU store. Pick a profile tied to a Japanese Nintendo Account and you'll get the Japanese store.

Browsing the various catalogues there are differences in the line-ups. Right now I can see Puyo Puyo Tetris on the Japanese store but not in Australia. Likewise, New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers is also just available in Japan right now.

But I couldn't buy a game from either the Australia or Japan stores using a UK card. I tried three cards - Visa and Mastercard - but was told each time to check my details were correct.

It's likely you'll be able to add credit using a pre-paid card and buy games on a different eShop this way. Right now, however, debit and credit cards seem tied to their respective regions - it's the same situation as the region-free PlayStation 4.

Seems like great news but pre paid cards might be needed

vareon

ALL THOSE JAPANESE EXCLUSIVE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES!!!

Best news.
I want to try this with one account though.
I know you lose your balance... but I've literally never had an eShop balance. I just pay the exact amount whenever I buy something. Why would I just leave money lying there...?
If we can switch a single account at will this'll be perfect.

Something to do with currencies, I suppose. IIRC Apple did this too with iTunes.

So say I want to buy DQH1/2 from the Japanese eShop if I have my language set to English will it be playable in English or in Japanese only?

ekim

Just tried this. It's indeed very easy. Was able to download the Snipperclips demo because the EU shop is empty right now.

BTA

I've been hoping for this the whole time and didn't expect it to be so easy and just... wow. I'm really pleased with this.

bumpkin

Does anyone know that if I haven't gotten/set up my Switch yet, how do the digital preorders work? Will they just queue up and download once I connect it to my account?

Anteo

So I have a Nintendo account configured to Canada. It is linked with my NNID that is also Canadian because the Wii U/3DS eShop wouldn't let me use my Peruvian credit card but the Canadian eShop did.
My question is: Can I change my Nintendo account region to USA without unlinking my NNID or both Nintendo Account and NNID have to be from the same region?

I tried it and it asked me to drop the nnid. I will gladly drop it because the us shop is much cheaper.

But, is it confirmed we can use peruvian cc to buy on the us shop?

Refyref

That's a pain in the arse.

Ah well, just share the wallet across my Wii U and 3DS from Japan and add funds through Japanese 3DS :p

It's card dependent. If you could add with your card on 3DS, you'll most likely be able to on Switch as well.

So basically when the JP Virtual Console starts demolishing NA and EU in quanitity and quality like always, the English speaking people will actually be able to play some of them.

I posted the supported languages for the Japanese launch lineup here.

Physical/download...
1-2-Switch: JA, EN, ES, FR, DE, IT, NL, RU.
Disgaea 5: JA, EN.
Dragon Quest Heroes I-II: Japanese language only.
I Am Setsuna: JA, EN, FR.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: JA, EN, ES, FR, DE, IT, NL, RU.
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence: Japanese language only.
Puyo-Puyo Tetris: Japanese language only.
Super Bomberman R: JA, EN, ES, FR, DE, IT, NL, PT, RU, ZH.

Download-only...
Blaster Master Zero: JA, EN.
The King of Fighters '98: JA, EN, ES, FR, DE, IT.
Metal Slug 3: JA, EN, ES, FR, DE, IT.
New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers: JA, EN, KO, ZH.
Othello: JA, EN.
Shock Troopers: JA, EN, ES, FR, DE, IT.
Snipperclips: JA, EN, ES, FR, DE, IT, NL.
Soldam: Word of Bloom: Japanese language only.
Voez: JA, EN, KO, ZH.
Vroom in the Night Sky: JA, EN.
Waku-Waku 7: JA, EN, ES, FR, DE, IT.
World Heroes Perfect: JA, EN, ES, FR, DE, IT.

That's awesome! I might import Setsuna from Japan if I can play it in English.

Cool, was 50hz fixed in previous VC for PAL? If not, this would be an easy solution at least.
It was mostly fixed being mainly US versions but sometimes you were stuck with EU versions and 50Hz. It was typically if the game was translated or not released in America you'll get the 50Hz version but even that rule wasn't perfect because Donkey Kong Country 1 and 3 were US 60Hz versions while 2 was 50Hz and we didn't see Lylat Wars but only Star Fox 64.

I have to admit I'm not too thrilled about being able to buy the same ROM in different languages (this is how individual languages have previously been handled on VC for example Link's Awakening though only Switzerland gets access to the English, French and German versions). Sometimes you just want to look at Probotector 3.

iBlue

If you can use your credit card regarding region that's amazing

Also, Canada and the USA are the same in terms of DLC right?

Sealtest

Also, Canada and the USA are the same in terms of DLC right?

I'd love to know this as well. It's cheaper for me to buy the Zelda season pass on Amazon US then it would be for me to buy it from Canadian eshop.

Or if someone can confirm if an American Eshop code is redeemable on Canadian eshop.

maxcriden

I think I asked this I another thread this morning but I don't think think it was answered, but, anyone yet confirmed you can download your digital games to another Nintendo Switch console without having to unlink your Nintendo Account from the first Switch (which in the past with NNIDs would delete your digital games off that system), thus having the same library simultaneously on two devices?

I think I asked this I another thread this morning but I don't think think it was answered, but, anyone yet confirmed you can download your digital games to another Nintendo Switch console without having to unlink your Nintendo Account from the first Switch (which in the past with NNIDs would delete your digital games off that system), thus having the same library simultaneously on two devices?

It be interesting to know whether the actual account system works as the others do first. As that definitely been confirmed?

CDX

Questions about regions. I don't know which EU country I should pick when I create an EU account.

For an EU account. Does any European country have any advantage over any other European country? I guess UK would be £ (pounds) and everywhere else in europe would be € (euro)?

But other than currencies, would there be any differences in access to EU games and demos between different EU countries? How was it on the 3DS and Wii U?

Does Brexit change anything with UK accounts VS other EU accounts?

...maybe I should just wait until some EU country has something exclusive I want, before I make an EU account.

Neoxon

That's good to hear. I suppose having a spare Japanese account wouldn't hurt (I did something similar for SFV's Beta).

OmegaX

I tried it and it asked me to drop the nnid. I will gladly drop it because the us shop is much cheaper.

But, is it confirmed we can use peruvian cc to buy on the us shop?

I read that it worked using the new postal codes (numeric only) but I haven't tried it myself yet.
So you only have to unlink the NNID? Your games on Wii U/3DS won't be lost?

Top Bottom