• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Famitsu asks about BC, battery life and mobile games

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Some more details about Nintendo Switch from Famitsu. I think that while is not earth shattering it provides a bit of additional info.

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/n...ms-lack-retro-compatiblity-note-battery-life/

When asked whether the Nintendo Switch would be compatible with Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games, Nintendo replied that it wouldn’t be the case, as it’s not a successor to either platforms.

But there’s something really interesting about that answer: Nintendo clearly specifies that you will not be able to use Wii U game discs and Nintendo 3DS cards. Does that mean downloadable games and digital versions of games will be compatible, and that the lack of retro-compatibility for physical copies of games is only due to the expected lack of disc drive/3DS card slot?

This could also mean just that they still provide some kind of compatibility/upgrade for Virtual Console. But who knows?

As for the battery, Nintendo wasn’t very talkative either, but confirmed that the whole thing was designed so that users could play as long as possible, “comfortably”, even in places where you don’t have access to a power outlet. Specifications about the battery life will be shared at a later date.

Finally, Famitsu asked Nintendo whether the Nintendo Switch would be able to play games for smart devices, since it is equipped with a Tegra processor. Nintendo replied that… they couldn’t answer that question right now.

This is interesting because WSJ had a rumour some time ago that (some) smartphone games will be compatible with NX.

Edit 2: About the box contents, Takashi Mochizuki says that it will come also with the dock. the Grip is not clear.

Nintendo: Switch would come with Joy Con L&R as well as Dock at least. Joy Con Grip no clear answer.

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/789272470716944385

Edit: a good summary of the full article done by Jim_Cacher

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201610/21118771.html

Famitsu asked Nintendo about several issues regarding NS. Here is the summary of the article. As my Japanese is crappy, please tell me if there are any mistakes.

- NS is not the successor of Wii U
- NS is not backward compatible with Wii U and 3DS
- NS will be packaged with Joy-Con(L) and Joy-Con(R)
- The packaging of other accessories will be announced separately for different regions before launch
- Cartridge is called "Game Card" internally
- Specifications of cartridge will be announced before launch
- Battery life will be announced later. The development team aims at allowing players to play NS conveniently at places without electricity connection.
- At this moment, no information on compatibility of smartphone apps can be provided

Tizoc

As i wrote before couldnt ninty pull a sega cd and provide an extension that would let the consumer run wii and wii u discs at least?

lt519

DeNa is on that list of developers, so it will most definitely have some kind of mobile app support.

LordKano

As i wrote before couldnt ninty pull a sega cd and provide an extension that would let the consumer run wii and wii u discs at least?

That would mean you have to work on some kind of compatibility for the wiimotes, the gamepad, and all the optional pads. Too bothersome.

If you mean Hardware BC, that would have upped the price for the console to add the two ARM CPUs and a DMP Pica 200.

Cortex A57 is BC with ARM11.
As for the Pica GPU, yeah, it may have arisen the cost. Or they could've find a way to do software emulation on something that is weak and slow, from 10 years ago.

ggx2ac

Oh, how am I not surprised. Nintendo are reluctant to mention if it can play smartphone games.

Guess we'll see what they reveal about Switch next year.

Jackano

Doesn't look people are talking about this, but Ubitus from the partners sheet is very interesting IMO: Looks like they are only doing cloud gaming.

http://www.ubitus.net/en/ugamecloud.html

gamecloudprocess.jpg

If multi-touch somehow is real, this may be the missing piece for the mobile games rumor too.

Jintor

i'm pretty worried (insofar as I can be about hardware five months out I'm not really committed to just yet) about battery life tbh.

but i guess realistically i'll mostly be playing it at home

I'd always assumed this was the consensus view anyway - that there'd be no physical BC, and that they'd integrate at least a portion of their mobile titles (those that don't require mobile data).

goldenpp72

I might be missing something but people keep asking for 3ds BC which would be lovely but, how would you do that since it has one screen?

ggx2ac

Cortex A57 is BC with ARM11.
As for the Pica GPU, yeah, it may have arisen the cost. Or they could've find a way to do software emulation on something that is weak and slow, from 10 years ago.

The other problem is if it's hard to emulate 3DS games because of the Pica 200 and its fixed shaders.

LAA

No BC for Wii U is annoying. I know hardware wise it's impossible, but surely there is a way. I mean it seems most of the games coming to Switch, (At least that we know of or rumoured), are going to be Wii U ports and I guess they just expect everyone to buy them again. I hope Nintendo can at least try and do something for people who already own them on Wii U.
And trying to justify no BC because it's not a successor to either, ha ha. You could argue it's a successor to both and none, but essentially I see it as a Wii U 2.0, feels like the same sort of idea, just taken to the next level in that you can take it anywhere now and it's not tethered to a console to work.

Battery is definitely a big concern for me for this though.

Metal B

I can understand no Wii U BC for hardware reasons. But 3DS ? That's lame.
How can you recreate the features of the 3DS without a big hassle? You have no (properly) stylus, no second screen and no way to simulate two screens without playing it in an awkward position (screen at the 90 angle, both controller or the pro controllers and you still need to touch the screen ... sounds terrible). Better for them to complete stretch BC and create ports.

Virtual Console would be interesting, the Wii U currently supports DS and Wii, will we see those on Switch? 3DS might even join the ranks.

starmud

I don't get why they are being coy over mobile games and if it has a touchscreen, it seems like a blunder to miss both on a device that many consumers would look at as a tablet... your not talking about a huge expense to cover a base that can only help the platform...

jonno394

(take from the other, later thread)

- NS will be packaged with Joy-Con(L) and Joy-Con(R)
- The packaging of other accessories (like the dock) will be announced separately for different regions before launch

If the dock is sold separately then it removes the whole gimmick behind the Switch. Launch day availability of the Switch better include the Dock as the main version at retail, rather than what happened with the likes of PS VR where the bundle was only available in limited quantities, and everyone else had to buy things sepereately.. I don't want to rock up to my local game retailer, see that the "bundles" are sold out, and I have to buy the base unit, the dock and the gamepad dock thing all separately.

duckroll

No BC is the standard moving forward. Not great but it is what it is, at least Nintendo is showing signs of adopting industry standards set by companies other than themselves, Hopefully this means region free.
Sadly it probably also means a paid Nintendo Premium Account might be required for online multiplayer!!

Forkball

You know, I would have waited another month to have a reveal with all of the components in place.

Nintendo: Nintendo... SWITCH

*drops mic*

Everyone: Can you pick the mic back up again and explain some basic hardware features?

Nintendo: See you in three months.

Havik

you cannot use the screen when its docked so most 3ds games would be impossible to play (does it even have a touch screen?).

Scrawnton

(take from the other, later thread)

If the dock is sold separately then it removes the whole gimmick behind the Switch. The mass produced/mass launch day availability version of the Switch better include the Dock. I don't want to rock up to my local game retailer, see that the "bundles" are sold out, and I have to buy the base unit, the dock and the gamepad dock thing all separately.

They can't say this is the successor to Wii U and not 3DS and dare sell a SKU without the dock making it just a handheld...

I'm actually upset Nintendo is trying to position this as a console. I want it positioned as a handheld because that's where their best work is typically at.

I understand they're trying to protect 3DS sales for this holiday; but come on! Just admit that this is the only system going forward and this is serving as our new handheld and console, not just the new home console.

That is the only thing upsetting me so far.

jett

D-Member
When asked whether the Nintendo Switch would be compatible with Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games, Nintendo replied that it wouldn’t be the case, as it’s not a successor to either platforms.

Weird they keep saying this. This kind of talk almost gives the impression they're not confident on the Switch. It's like their third pillar bullshit talk about the DS, before it became a runaway success.

Scrawnton

If that screen is not touch I really doubt we'll see either platform games on it.

If that screen isn't touch then this definitely is not their handheld replacement but truly a home console you play on the go. I want the handheld focus as well.

Fledz

If the games are downloadable and there's decent storage space, I'm completely fine with it. I am seriously considering getting this for the massive back catalogue if so.

Top Bottom