• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch having a online paywall killed my interest in Nintendo games that have online

Jeeves

Well I definitely understand not liking the idea of paying for online, but it's honestly too late for that. People should have pushed against it hard when Microsoft started it. There's no going back now.

Zog

Banned
What do you mean, online infrastructure ain't a free service, 20 bucks a year is not bad.

Oh so we are looking at the actual cost of things? In that case a digital download does not cost Nintendo $60.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Well I definitely understand not liking the idea of paying for online, but it's honestly too late for that. People should have pushed against it hard when Microsoft started it. There's no going back now.
Not true, people can just stop subscribing at any time.

Jeeves

Not true, people can just stop subscribing at any time.
In theory. Good luck getting enough people to unsubscribe now to make a difference; it's been normalized. As an individual, your choices are now to subscribe or miss out. It sucks but that's where we are.

Zog

Banned
In theory. Good luck getting enough people to unsubscribe now to make a difference; it's been normalized. As an individual, your choices are now to subscribe or miss out. It sucks but that's where we are.
Yeah it would have been nice if people would have put a stop to the nonsense at Horse Armor Xbox Live years ago but people never seem to learn. Still though, gamers can end this shit now if they organize...yeah I know, gamers don't organize.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Oh so we are looking at the actual cost of things? In that case a digital download does not cost Nintendo $60.
That's a fallacy and nonsensical, subscriptions are used to fund operating costs around the online infrastructure because of the demands and divisions needed to sustain it, and cultivate possible profits, which is substantial. With how the industry and digital marketplaces are developing, you would be a complete fool to not breed subscription models around your brand. Do I want it to be free? of course, I want many DLC's to be free too, but I'm not 12 years old anymore.

Zog

Banned
That's a fallacy and nonsensical, subscriptions are used to fund operating costs around the online infrastructure because of the demands and divisions needed to sustain it, and cultivate possible profits, which is substantial. With how the industry and digital marketplaces are developing, you would be a complete fool to not breed subscription models around your brand. Do I want it to be free? of course, I want many DLC's to be free too, but I'm not 12 years old anymore.

Damn all those 12 year olds on Steam.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
man that is cool you dont have to buy it

just kinda silly that every system has a paywall and people have a problem with Nintendo doing it for some reason

i know the games on it are only for a few systems but i dunno you don't have to buy it. if you do you get free NES and SNES and online connectivity in every Switch game. Playstation charges ~$100 per year, while Nintendo's is $20. that is less than one hour's worth of work for me. i will gladly play $20 to play Tetris 99 any time i want, as well as most of the best NES and SNES classics.

i mean they just dropped Donkey Kong Country. it is absolutely free if you already subscribe to the service. it only gains in value as time goes on. this is not the time to be making this argument. lol
But it costs Sony and Microsoft that?
it doesn't matter what it "costs" in terms of resources spent, it matters what the market price is. companies do not do things in order to be the most fair to everyone involved, they do them in order to gain the upper hand in a market. the cost is not set by how much is spent to produce, it is set by a market. this is a market with 3 competitors which all charge for online service. if a market has company A charging 100 per year and company B charging 60 per year then opting in for 20 does not seem unreasonable.

it is funny Nintendo charges the least for their service yet people complain about it the most.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I know that money is kinda of a tough thing for a lot of people, but if you're into gaming, US$20 is very ok

They could do better, with more games from the classics and shit, but I have more complains about PlayStation Plus than Nintendo's

Zog

Banned
I really just can't stand the argument 'it's only $20, that's practically free and not worth complaining about'.

Well, there are alot of things less than $20 that people will complain about if they aren't good, like food for example. So I bought a $9 fan from Wal Mart and it didn't work properly so I took it back. I am expecting the 'it's only $9, that's practically free and not worth returning defense.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Explain it then fella.
Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft own rights to anything that runs on their consoles, and it's in their best interest to support and cultivate an online infrastructure. On PC, no company owns any such things. A paywall for online play on Steam would drive players elsewhere, and many companies would not allow their games on their platforms in fear of alienating gamers and hurting their online communities, as paid online play on PC would be considered pure evil. If Steam took money for online play, they would be responsible for the online availability of hundreds of games which could turn into a nightmare and damage their reputation if something went wrong.

However, PC subscriptions are gaining traction, and paid streaming services is the future of PC gaming as well as consoles. But paid online play for consoles will stick around until that becomes the norm because it's too profitable, and it helps to fund their online divisions.

Nintendo actually almost seemed hesitant for a while to charge for online. Instead of doubling the price and offering monthly games, they try to keep it low. But not having a fee for console online availability would be like throwing money out the window.

Zog

Banned
Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft own rights to anything that runs on their consoles, and it's in their best interest to support and cultivate an online infrastructure. On PC, no company owns any such things. A paywall for online play on Steam would drive players elsewhere, and many companies would not allow their games on their platforms in fear of alienating gamers and hurting their online communities, as paid online play on PC would be considered pure evil. If Steam took money for online play, they would be responsible for the online availability of hundreds of games which could turn into a nightmare and damage their reputation if something went wrong.

However, PC subscriptions are gaining traction, and paid streaming services is the future of PC gaming as well as consoles. But paid online play for consoles will stick around until that becomes the norm because it's too profitable, and it helps to fund their online divisions.

Nintendo actually almost seemed hesitant for a while to charge for online. Instead of doubling the price and offering monthly games, they try to keep it low. But not having a fee for console online availability would be like throwing money out the window.

Steam could charge for online play, they just don't. They are the biggest platform on PC.

The fact is online play was free by both Sony and Nintendo until they saw Microsoft get away with it. They don't charge for online play because they have to, it's because gamers told them it was ok by letting Microsoft get away with it. It's not about '12 year olds wanting everything for free', it's about knowing that online play could be, has been and should be free for using the platform.

Bragr

Banned
Steam could charge for online play, they just don't. They are the biggest platform on PC.

The fact is online play was free by both Sony and Nintendo until they saw Microsoft get away with it. They don't charge for online play because they have to, it's because gamers told them it was ok by letting Microsoft get away with it. It's not about '12 year olds wanting everything for free', it's about knowing that online play could be, has been and should be free for using the platform.
No, Steam would lose a massive amount of their audience if they charged, it would not be accepted by PC gamers. If Steam charged, Epic would suddenly gain millions more users and Steam would be viewed as a shill by PC players. On consoles, you have no choice to pay for services, on PC you do. It's completely different situations in play here and completely different ecosystems.

Sony wanted to copy Xbox Live because it was better than their service, and once they did charge and learned from Xbox Live their service got better. If you ever played Halo 3 on Xbox Live, you know what I am talking about, PS3's online was viewed poorly by many. Nintendo barely does online, but even the mediocre offer on Switch is better than any online infrastructure they ever had before.

Zog

Banned
No, Steam would lose a massive amount of their audience if they charged, it would not be accepted by PC gamers. If Steam charged, Epic would suddenly gain millions more users and Steam would be viewed as a shill by PC players. On consoles, you have no choice to pay for services, on PC you do. It's completely different situations in play here and completely different ecosystems.

Sony wanted to copy Xbox Live because it was better than their service, and once they did charge and learned from Xbox Live their service got better. If you ever played Halo 3 on Xbox Live, you know what I am talking about, PS3's online was viewed poorly by many. Nintendo barely does online, but even the mediocre offer on Switch is better than any online infrastructure they ever had before.

It sounds like you are saying: 'On PC, gamers would not allow them to charge for online play but on console gamers have no choice'.

1. Gamers had a choice before this generation, they still chose to pay for Xbox Live and that is the ONLY reason Sony and Nintendo started charging.

2. Gamers can always just refuse to subscribe at anytime and if enough do it, then changes will be made.

Bragr

Banned
It sounds like you are saying: 'On PC, gamers would not allow them to charge for online play but on console gamers have no choice'.

1. Gamers had a choice before this generation, they still chose to pay for Xbox Live and that is the ONLY reason Sony and Nintendo started charging.

2. Gamers can always just refuse to subscribe at anytime and if enough do it, then changes will be made.
I'm saying, on PC, online play is more complicated with different infrastructures, player alternatives, and a different culture around online play.

On consoles, the producers of the systems, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, own the platforms and are dependent on offering online services, and there are no online alternatives for games released on said consoles.

Gamers liked Xbox Live because it was better, Microsoft put together a better package because it was a paid package. And Sony's and Nintendo's offerings also became better when it became paid offerings.

I mean, you also have a choice to stop paying for electricity and see where that gets you. Online infrastructure is vastly different now than before, there are more demands and needs than ever of what an online service is and how it needs to perform. This is not 2005, the big 3 are using a lot of money and time on their online services, people are not gonna stop paying and hope everything gonna become free.

And you are also not looking at the value here, each model on each system offers plenty of perks. On Xbox and PS4, you get free games to easily cover the yearly subscription. On Switch, it's not that many offers, but it's enough to warrant 20 dollars for a full year. I have no problem paying for it, and I think most share my contentment with the perks offered alongside the subscriptions.

Rockondevil

I don’t play enough to justify getting the online. There are a couple of games I haven’t purchased because of that. I guess there’d be other people like me too so while they might make money off the online they’ll definitely lose some on sales.
Mario Maker is one good example.

MagnesG

Banned
You're not obligated to pay for it you know, that's cool more power to you.

But bitching on others for subscribing the service is just dumb. For $2 a month I got to play online (played frequently), play Tetris 99 and get those dripfeed legacy games to play with once in a while, even if most of them sucks. It's more than enough for others, justifiably.

So fuck off with the higher ground bullshit.

Malio

It’s one of the reasons I skipped the Switch. Nintys games have lost their appeal for me, save for a few like Mario Kart and Zelda, so the decision to skip the Switch was made easy when they announced the online subscription crap.

Business

I used to play Splatoon 2 online and when they put the paywall I stopped playing. Eventually I got online with Mario Maker 2 but somehow never returned to Splatoon. Paid online fucking sucks.

Hudo

I admit that I actually paid for a while for Super Mario Maker 2. But generally, I don't pay for online services for any console. That practice is bullshit and needs to go away, IMHO. Online play should be free on every platform, together with cloud saves. I don't mind if manufacturers offer an optional subscription based service like game pass or similar. But basic stuff should be free.

It initially bothered me but then I realized I don't even really play multiplayer games on my Switch lol...hell I really don't play them on my ps4 pro..I barely play MP games anymore and when I do I prefer them on my Xbox One X or my PC. But my switch is literally my Indie/RPG console of choice so I don't even notice it anymore.

I admit that I actually paid for a while for Super Mario Maker 2. But generally, I don't pay for online services for any console. That practice is bullshit and needs to go away, IMHO. Online play should be free on every platform, together with cloud saves. I don't mind if manufacturers offer an optional subscription based service like game pass or similar. But basic stuff should be free.

I agree. I started my multiplayer gaming way back on things like the MSN Gaming Zone as a kid and the services that existed back then for games like Q3Arena and such...I miss those days where extra money out my wallet determined whether or not I got to experience half of the game.

Hudo

I agree. I started my multiplayer gaming way back on things like the MSN Gaming Zone as a kid and the services that existed back then for games like Q3Arena and such...I miss those days where extra money out my wallet determined whether or not I got to experience half of the game.
I remember explicitly buying the PS3 because Sony's basic online features were free. But they caved... and I can't really fault them for that because Microsoft were making quite a lot of money and proved that people were willing to pay, so if I had been Sony's CEO, I would've gone the same way. But from a consumer point of view, this whole development is incredibly disappointing.
I also don't like the development, on both consoles and PC (via Steam), that games are being gated behind mandatory accounts. I remember a time where the big advantage of a console was that you could put in the game and just play. No account bullshit, no download of a 100GB patch, no ads that tell you to buy the DLC.
But I get it. This is all "old man yells at cloud"-kind of talk... so yeah...

Chastten

Banned
Using the family plan or whatever it's called you're paying like €8 for a year. I mean, I don't like the principle of paying for online gaming but the money itself shouldn't be an issue. To me it's worth it for some weekly Mario Kart 8 and Tetris 99.

If it isn't for you, then hey, plenty of other games out there, it's no big loss. I used to subscribe to Microsoft's online service like 10 years ago, until I noticed I barely used it and cancelled it. No big deal, it's just videogames.

Bragr

Banned
Well if you equate online play with electricity then I can see why they have you hooked.
I used that example because you used a corny example about Wal Mart and food earlier. All you have done in this thread is to ignore all the points people make and comment with sny remarks because you have no counterpoints. Why even bother.

Blond

Banned
What I will say I hate about Nintendo Online is that there are all these classic games to play two player with, and yet we can’t even fucking play them with our anyone unless

A) You send your 10-digit friend request to someone, and they accept
B) They have to be playing the exact same game as you at the same time
C) There are no invites to send unless -B- requirement is met
D) No way to interact unless you have their phone number

Such a poor product. They need to be berated for such indecent efforts in that area. It would be comical but they are charging people for this. The online is severely lacking. Some games only have half of what you want / what you would expect even for online such as Super Mario Party

I love Nintendo, but it’s disgraceful and embarrassing their online

What really annoys me about the switch is how the Nvidia shield has more features and better graphics (some games rendering beyond 1080p, some in 4k), HDR support and more multitasking ability than the Nintendo Switch does despite running the exact same hardware.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
What really annoys me about the switch is how the Nvidia shield has more features and better graphics (some games rendering beyond 1080p, some in 4k), HDR support and more multitasking ability than the Nintendo Switch does despite running the exact same hardware.
that's why you pay $60 per year instead of $20.

it is funny to compare this to a service which costs 3 times the price. like no duh if you pay 3 times the price you get more features.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
that's why you pay $60 per year instead of $20.

it is funny to compare this to a service which costs 3 times the price. like no duh if you pay 3 times the price you get more features.

You guys have only one argument 'it's cheap guys, quit complaining'. You don't care that the online service sucks, you just say the same thing over and over again trying to shame people into silence.

Top Bottom