• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Is at the Midpoint of Its Life Cycle and Can Still Grow, Says Furukawa

Reallink

Tell that to the gaggle of GAF's graphicswhores:

QuaintRevolvingCoypu-size_restricted.gif
4eSM9w2.jpeg

QPTmY6V.jpg

ByWatterson

Awful. Outdated when it launched. Dinosaur now.

I can't play Horizon and Kena and Death Stranding and Halo and be wowed by those open worlds, realize they all run on LAST GEN systems and be excited by anything Nintendo.

I have a Switch. My kids love it. But I can't get pumped about any new Nintendo games.

Tschumi

I bought a used switch a short while ago just to have zelda for when I'm in the mood, and that's backed up by my only having two games on it... It's a neat bit of tech, much better than the switch lite i had before, which was just a Vita with a worse library...

Tschumi

This thread makes me want to see what kind of naked about face Nintendo fans would do if their next console was more powerful than either sony or xbox, and they had the best looking game in the world.

That is not what I said. And you should know by now how Nintendo does Nintendo from experience.
You are correct. Also, it's not always the best decision from a business perspective to ride out your cash cow until it literally dies. You need to have something new before that.

Reactions: TLZ

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
This thread makes me want to see what kind of naked about face Nintendo fans would do if their next console was more powerful than either sony or xbox, and they had the best looking game in the world.
I have both PS5 and Switch, Nintendo can makes most powerful or least powerful, all I want from them is continue give me the games I care about.

Currently Sony almost completely stopped making first party Japanese games in favour of western games, doesnt fucking matter how high tech their graphics are because in the end they fucking stopped making games I enjoy.

I have choose between games or more console then I personally choose games.

That's nice and all, but you can't tell me with a straight face that you're fine with any game stuttering between 19 and 25 fps, all the while running at sub (!) 720p and still looking like absolute ass in areas where there shouldn't be a need for that even considering the hardware Nintendo put in there. If the game is competently designed around the limitations of the hardware, sure the Switch is fine. But even some of Nintendos own studios don't manage to do that.

Last edited:

Danjin44

That's nice and all, but you can't tell me with a straight face that you're fine with any game stuttering between 19 and 25 fps, all the while running at sub (!) 720p and still looking like absolute ass in areas where there shouldn't be a need for that even considering the hardware Nintendo put in there. If the game is competently designed around the limitations of the hardware, sure the Switch is fine. But even some of Nintendos own studios don't manage to do that.
I can with fucking straight face tell you I take that over what fucking Sony is doing when it comes it’s first party games.

If I’m not getting the games I want to play then what fucking matters how powerful the system is, at end of the day I’m playing games, not staring at the screen counting pixels all day.

Danjin44

So.. Wanting to play new games in at least a native 1080p on your TV makes you a graphics whore now? 🤔
Remember we used to get "spoiler" threads which we would disscus games's story? but now these days we get 100 DF threads each day discussing graphics, so yes I would say 100% majority of GAF are graphic whores.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I have both PS5 and Switch, Nintendo can makes most powerful or least powerful, all I want from them is continue give me the games I care about.

Currently Sony almost completely stopped making first party Japanese games in favour of western games, doesnt fucking matter how high tech their graphics are because in the end they fucking stopped making games I enjoy.

Okay then i amend my post to say they have the best looking, most successful, best WESTERN game ever. I'd like to see what they say THEN.

My point is, as is applicable to sony and xbox fans, and politically retarded people, they'll completely disavow whatever they said yesterday if it means their team "winning" today.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Okay then i amend my post to say they have the best looking, most successful, best WESTERN game ever.
Which majority of them I couldn't care less about, even Switch's weak ass system gives me both first party and third party Japanese games, meanwhile with PS5 I mostly have rely on their third party games.

This is why Switch currently my main gaming system and my PS5 secondary system.

I can with fucking straight face tell you I take that over what fucking Sony is doing when it comes it’s first party games.

If I’m not getting the games I want to play then what fucking matters how powerful the system is, at end of the day I’m playing games, not staring at the screen counting pixels all day.
Well I guess that depends on the definition of "want". I don't "want" to play a game, no matter how good it may be otherwise, if it's running at 24fps or below. That's a standard of quality I set for myself. But to each his own. I also wouldn't eat at your restaurant, no matter how good your food is, if there are worms inside it.

Forums like this are very niche. While I'm online complaining about grainy foliage and bad AA in Horizon: FW my wife is happily sitting and playing Pokemon Snap which looks like a poor PS3 game when blown up on a big 4k screen.

Figure out who the real loser is here and the revelation about why the Switch is so huge will become clear to you.

bender

What time is it?
Nintendo's tried to keep up with the Jonses in terms of graphics capabilities with the most recent attempt being a complete disaster. I don't expect they'll ever tried to compete in that space again for a few reasons. The portable market is too important to them and the hybrid approach of the Switch let's them satisfy two different markets. In turn that let's them focus all of their development efforts onto one platform. Further it keeps development costs down.

While you aren't getting cutting edge graphics, keeping those development costs down is beneficial as it allows them to take more risks with franchises, resurrect less popular franchises, launch new experimental IP and just have a greater output of titles. A lot of those reasons are why I'm so disinterested in most AAA games that push the limits of graphical tech. Those games are so expensive to make that the game play systems and mechanics tend to play it safe and try to cast the widest possible net which lead to shallow experiences. You could leverage the same complaints against Nintendo's approach from a shallow perspective and be true to some extent, but they do still give us games with deep mechanics.

And that's not to say that great games can't benefit from cutting edge graphics. Those just aren't the types of games that Nintendo usually makes.

Forums like this are very niche. While I'm online complaining about grainy foliage and bad AA in Horizon: FW my wife is happily sitting and playing Pokemon Snap which looks like a poor PS3 game when blown up on a big 4k screen.

Figure out who the real loser is here and the revelation about why the Switch is so huge will become clear to you.

New Pokemon Snap looks fine on a 4K display.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Remember we used to get "spoiler" threads which we would disscus games's story? but now these days we get 100 DF threads each day discussing graphics, so yes I would say 100% majority of GAF are graphic whores.
While I agree that's sad and that many people here are graphics whores, people who just want to enjoy Nintendo Switch games at a native 1080p on a TV without the game looking like a scrambled blurry shimmering upscaled mess, aren't.

Last edited:

daclynk

I don’t really care as long as Prime 4 actually releases on the damn thing. I’ll be livid if it gets delayed all the way to Switch 2. I don’t see them putting the effort into making it cross gen like they do with Zelda sometimes either.
yeah i will be sad if Nintendo switch doesnt get it own Zelda game. i hope they utilize all the cool features the system has like HD Ramble and others

jigglet

Banned
I guess I don't mind, but it pisses me off we'll need to wait another 4 years potentially for a new Pro controller without a garbage dpad.

Oberstein

Generations aren't determined by power. But yes the hardware is dated at this point.

When your games sell tens of millions of copies, the technical issue quickly becomes secondary for Nintendo.
(However, for such a dated hardware, they manage to do miracles!)

Best-selling Switch games (first party):

1. MK8DX: 43,35M
2. Animal Crossing NH: 37,62M
3. Smash Ultimate: 27,4M
4. Zelda BOTW: 25,8M
5. Pokémon SS: 23,9M
6. Mario Odyssey: 23,02M
7. Mario Party: 17,39M
8. Pkmn Let’s Go: 14,33M
9. Pkmn BD/SP: 13,97M
10.Ring Fit: 13,53M

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's a good thing that most Switch games are 1080p and/or 60fps and that some games may run like that but I will likely never get to know which ones are they are little and far between and most probably I played/will play those on PC anyway 🤷‍♂️

While I agree that's sad and that many people here are graphics whores, people who just want to enjoy Nintendo Switch games at a native 1080p on a TV without the game looking like a scrambled blurry shimmering upscaled mess, aren't.
They should get better TVs for the system then... The Switch was designed for 1080p TVs in mind, it's not Nintendo business if some people get large 4K TVs to play the console on it and then complain it doesn't look good enough to them, lol

What in the fuck nintendo made game is sub 720p and not a stable 30fps on docked mode. Name one.

Unless you meant 3rd party stuff.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
There's also a real possibility he's talking shit.

Does anyone else remember when Miyamoto said there would be no DS revision...I think it was literally the day before they revealed one?

cireza

Banned
Why don’t you get a switch, leave it docked and buy a pro controller?
I did this but games are absolutely ugly on this thing. Recently I bought Hyrule Warriors BotW. Game is so blurry it looks much worse than the first game on Wii U. Framerate is abysmal. Had the exact same experience moving from Xeno X to Xeno 2. And played SMTV as well, to the same results. What the fuck is wrong with people accepting this tier trash resolution ?

So I gave up on this console as a home console. It is absolute garbage in that regard. And as a handheld, it offers a poor experience as well as not a single game had text and hud optimized for the small screen. Neo Geo Pocket and Game Gear games run well on this thing though, so that's a plus.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Nope. Still same ol Nintendo. They'll say there's nothing and BAM hit you with the next console out of nowhere.

You guys always fall for their deceipt.
It's not like the original Switch will stop being supported if they released a new console in 2023.

So it could be the midpoint of it's cycle, for sure.

I did this but games are absolutely ugly on this thing. Recently I bought Hyrule Warriors BotW. Game is so blurry it looks much worse than the first game on Wii U. Framerate is abysmal. Had the exact same experience moving from Xeno X to Xeno 2. And played SMTV as well, to the same results. What the fuck is wrong with people accepting this tier trash resolution ?

So I gave up on this console as a home console. It is absolute garbage in that regard. And as a handheld, it offers a poor experience as well as not a single game had text and hud optimized for the small screen. Neo Geo Pocket and Game Gear games run well on this thing though, so that's a plus.
I honestly just have to say you’re playing the wrong games 😅

Hyrule warriors is indeed terrible, x2 is actually the same resolution as X on the Wii U but the temporal anti aliasing ruins it. So that was just a design mistake.

Smtv just has bad graphics period.

Games like luigis mansion 3, mario kart, cruis’n blast (I feel like this game would be right up your alley btw) are native 1080p. Smash bros too but I don’t like the new smash.

mario odyssey looks great and runs great, plenty of games run at 60fps. The new kirby looks really good.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It’s possible that Nintendo doesn’t have much of a choice here, launching new hardware seems like an extremely hard task at the moment.

RAIDEN1

That will be the day something as stunning graphically as a CyberPunk 2077 comes to a Switch console....imagine how Metroid Prime 4 would look if there was more horse-power to play with..

That will be the day something as stunning graphically as a CyberPunk 2077 comes to a Switch console....
We had Witcher 3 comments saying basically the same thing. I was one of them.

If they can do that, I don't doubt they could do the same for Cyberpunk, just with all the same sacrifices.

Last edited:

MilkLizard

Do you think Switch will still be Nintendo's console at the start of 2027?
From the article

In other words, there may not be a next-generation system for several years still. The Nintendo Switch launched in early 2017, which means Nintendo may strive to keep it around until 2027. Of course, there will be other revisions in the meantime, and one of them may eventually end up being slightly more powerful than the current Nintendo Switch. For brand new hardware, though, it sounds like there's a long wait ahead.

Top Bottom