• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Is at the Midpoint of Its Life Cycle and Can Still Grow, Says Furukawa

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
What Xenoblade will actually look like, not 2 inch downsampled gifs:

ZRL1HHJ.jpg
my ass

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Next Nintendo console is gonna come out in 2024 after the MK8 DLC is all out. Mark my words.
Yes, seven years. In modern terms that's exactly a generation. So, you're probably hitting it right on the head.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It’s possible that Nintendo doesn’t have much of a choice here, launching new hardware seems like an extremely hard task at the moment.
I'd say it's mostly too risky, they don't know if their next system is gonna be this big... they want to milk it as much as possible

TidusYuna

I'd say it's mostly too risky, they don't know if their next system is gonna be this big... they want to milk it as much as possible

The way they can do it is probably similar to PS4/PS5. Or maybe another comparison would be the 3DS/New 3DS. Continue supporting the switch and its successor. They can call it the "Switch 2", make it backwards compatible with Switch, but also release games only available for the Switch 2 which would be a more powerful system. Calling it the "Switch 2" clears up any confusion about whether the switch can run Switch 2 games. They can continue releasing new Switch games that work on both the switch and Switch 2 but look better on the Switch 2. But also some exclusives Switch 2 games. They don't have to be done with Switch when they release a Switch successor. They can continue supporting both a switch and a switch 2. A more powerful Switch system, is a risk, but there is also the reward of better third party support and better visuals/framerate in docked/handheld mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

EDMIX

Nope. Still same ol Nintendo. They'll say there's nothing and BAM hit you with the next console out of nowhere.

You guys always fall for their deceipt.

Agreed. I was just about the say the same thing.

I don't believe they'd just tell people in advance. They'll likely just wait until they are ready to market it as to maintain sales of the Switch before the reveal.

Swift_Star Swift_Star "This will never happen and the Switch is the best thing Nintendo ever produced." Agreed. I don't want them to split that player base, as their home consoles simply don't see enough to hold their own wait anymore.

Give me a fucking HDMI out and let people have their handheld if thats what they want, but as someone that likes playing on a big screen, beggars can't be choosers in this situation. If that shit is split, you'll see the home console flop, get little support etc. That is what happened with Wii U vs 3DS, 3DS got more games, more support and even when they put 1 game out on 2 systems, the 3DS version sold millions better, like with Smash Bros. So I just don't want to be left out of the loop and forced to play on a small ass screen simply cause that is where the majority is.

Give the HDMI out and I'm completely fine with them going 100% portable. Its the only way those of us who like playing on TV will get that support as I don't see Portable being the lessor community any time soon if ever.

Last edited:

cireza

I honestly just have to say you’re playing the wrong games 😅
Well the problem is that these are the games I like. But I had other disappointing experiences.

For example I love Sonic games. On Wii U, we had Lost World that was an exclusive running at 60fps, and I can tell you that the game is gorgeous on the console. Moving on Switch, we got a downgraded port of Forces running at 30fps. I command the effort though, SEGA did this during their first year and the game runs fine, but in the end, it is not possible to enjoy this at 30 fps. In some horizontal scrolling stages, because of the blur, it becomes almost impossible to see the character.

I also love Shiren the Wanderer 5+, played a ton of it on Vita. Pretty simple game you would think. But still, we got a resolution boost through the use of a blurry upscale. And in the same genre, I have Langrisser. Now this game renders 1080p on TV, that's pretty awesome. But in handheld mode ? It is the same 1080p, but downscaled by, I think, skipping lines and columns. The result is awful. And it goes on, and on with this console.

Wii U ports have zero interest for me : I have all these games on Wii U. Mario Kart, Bayonetta 2, Tokyo Mirage, Smash Bros, 3D World, first Hyrule Warriors etc... And there aren't really better on Switch, pretty much the same.

There are a few instances of ambitious games I enjoyed that ran pretty well the console : God Eater 3, Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Metroid Dread. I also love Brigandine, but my god the text can be small on the Lite screen, because it was meant to be displayed on TV... I also use the console for old school collections, such as Aleste Collection, Collection of Mana, Neo Geo Pocket Collection and also simpler 2D games like Streets of Rage 4 or Sonic Mania.

Overall, I always have to check everything before buying, and this is what makes poor experience. I didn't check this time with Hyrule Warriors BotW, and it was another mistake. Can't play a game that looks like this.

Cruis'n Blast looks good indeed, I have the game on my radar. New Kirby looks nice as well, but I don't like open-world games overall.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Next Nintendo console is gonna come out in 2024 after the MK8 DLC is all out. Mark my words.

Safe bet, but I do wonder if Switch Sports could give the Switch another blue ocean wave as a future pack in and delay things further.

Wii U ports have zero interest for me : I have all these games on Wii U. Mario Kart, Bayonetta 2, Tokyo Mirage, Smash Bros, 3D World, first Hyrule Warriors etc... And there aren't really better on Switch, pretty much the same.
Lost world is pretty fun and looks nice. New kirby isn’t open world just bigger levels.

I can emphasize with you having to check everything before buying, but I do that on all consoles. I hope you pick up cruis’n because I think you will really like it.

Let me go full nerd on you with the Wii U ports because it depends 😅 Some are worse on switch some are better.

Bay 2 : better framerate on switch extra 10-15 fps
Mk8 : 1080p > 720p on switch and fixed the 59fps bug
Hyrule warriors : 1080p > 720p on switch and nearly double frame rate
Pokken tournament : slightly sharper on switch

3d world looks worse on switch and ruins the gameplay speed.

W101 runs worse on switch and you lose gamepad stuff.

DK tropical freeze has worse detail on switch.

Pikmin 3 looks worse and you lose pointer support on switch.

So yeah wii u ports are hit snd miss.

cireza

Lost world is pretty fun and looks nice. New kirby isn’t open world just bigger levels.

I can emphasize with you having to check everything before buying, but I do that on all consoles. I hope you pick up cruis’n because I think you will really like it.

Let me go full nerd on you with the Wii U ports because it depends 😅 Some are worse on switch some are better.

Bay 2 : better framerate on switch extra 10-15 fps
Mk8 : 1080p > 720p on switch and fixed the 59fps bug
Hyrule warriors : 1080p > 720p on switch and nearly double frame rate
Pokken tournament : slightly sharper on switch

3d world looks worse on switch and ruins the gameplay speed.

W101 runs worse on switch and you lose gamepad stuff.

DK tropical freeze has worse detail on switch.

Pikmin 3 looks worse and you lose pointer support on switch.

So yeah wii u ports are hit snd miss.
Tokyo Mirage also has a poor Gamepad implementation on Switch. They threw everything in a small window, pretty disappointing. Otherwise I knew the other benefits for the first games, but for Bayo 2 and MK8 I am okay on Wii U, not worth buying again. Hyrule Warriors doesn't run 60 fps in handheld I highly doubt this (I play on Lite), so not worth it. At least that was the conclusion of my research lol. And as I cannot carry over my save, this is a no buy anyway. Also visuals were altered quite a bit and made brighter.

Tokyo Mirage also has a poor Gamepad implementation on Switch. They threw everything in a small window, pretty disappointing. Otherwise I knew the other benefits for the first games, but for Bayo 2 and MK8 I am okay on Wii U, not worth buying again. Hyrule Warriors doesn't run 60 fps in handheld I highly doubt this (I play on Lite), so not worth it. At least that was the conclusion of my research lol. And as I cannot carry over my save, this is a no buy anyway. Also visuals were altered quite a bit and made brighter.
Oh I meant hyrule warriors docked performance, you are right on handheld mode it runs poorly.

Robb

Gold Member
Not sure what they consider growth, but I doubt they’ll manage to outsell the current peak year.

Although I wouldn’t be surprised if they manage to push 20M this year and then 20M again in 2023. They still haven’t dropped the price which is pretty crazy.

Top Bottom