• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the Fastest-Selling Video Game System of This Generation in the US(Smash Ultimate over 3m)

woigemok

Banned
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181218005282/en/

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nintendo Switch has become the fastest-selling video game system of this hardware generation through 21 months, according to The NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. From its launch in March 2017 through November 2018, Nintendo Switch has sold more than 8.7 million units, outpacing U.S. sales of all other current-generation systems at the same point in their life cycles.

“We are thrilled to see such a strong reaction from consumers in the second holiday season for Nintendo Switch”​
Nintendo is also the overall top-selling U.S. software publisher so far for 2018, according to NPD data through November. This performance should receive an additional boost from the December release of the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game, which has become not only the fastest-selling Nintendo Switch game of all time, but also the fastest-selling game in the Super Smash Bros. series, with U.S. sales of over 3 million units in just 11 days, according to Nintendo’s internal sales data.

“We are thrilled to see such a strong reaction from consumers in the second holiday season for Nintendo Switch,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “We’re looking forward to delivering more excitement and smiles to our fans in the coming year and beyond.”

The following data from Nintendo of America is specific to the U.S. only:

• Nintendo hardware unit and dollar sales for 2018 are at their highest annual totals since 2011.
  • Nintendo eShop sales have grown 105 percent over 2017.
  • Evergreen Nintendo Switch games have set new milestones, with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe selling over 4 million and 5 million units, respectively. Super Mario Odyssey has sold over 4.7 million units.
  • In addition to the fast-selling Super Smash Bros. Ultimate game, other recently released games that continue to make a splash include Pokémon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokémon: Let’s Go, Eevee!, which together total 2 million units, and Super Mario Party at 1.4 million.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has sold over 3 million units in 11 days in the United States according to Nintendo's internal sales data.

Must admit..I never played smash bros before and they had a demo of it at an eB and I played it with my 2 kids..we walked out with a switch and smash bros 30 mins later...few other parents did the same..it’s classic multiplayer

Mr Hyde

Dang, Nintendo is killing it. But the most noteworthy piece in that article was that the Senior Vice President of Marketing was named Doug Bowser. I mean, is that a coincidence or is he just a major fan of Nintendo?

The Nintendo Switch is simply spetacular. I can't get enough out of it. Stellar indie support, the best Nintendo games, and now the ultra definitive version of Smash. Job well done Nintendo.

PocoJoe

Banned
I wonder how sales are in rest of the world. Xbox sells well in US too, but not so good in other areas.

Here at Finland switch were never sold out(maybe few stores, but not in big scale), even on launch day/week I saw Switch consoles basically filling the shelfs they were placed on.

My friend had only gaming store at downtown and he sold only 2 units in 4 months(I bought one of those).

Ps4 were sold out for weeks/months at launch, I had to order mine from france.

I know that we are small country, but it adds up.

But nice that it sells better than wiiu so far

KingT731

Combining their mobile and home sectors has really benefitted them. Hopefully The Switch continues to have success and we get a more ambitious effort on their next outing.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Hmm... With Super Smash Bros Ultimate being a system seller and Christmas in our midst, I wouldn't be surprised to see them come close to cracking that 10 million console mark.

Aren't we expecting the new Metroid by end of next year? That's another system seller and I'm sure Luigi's Mansion will be no slouch either. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be a lot of system sellers on the near horizon.

royox

Understandable. It's a Nintendo console, most of the people that have it are huge Nintendo fans that OF COURSE bought this console for Nintendo games. Nintendo has always had the highests user attachment for their games.

Andyliini

Not so fast, let me check the Nintendo is Doomed clock real quick.
fz7bK9d.jpg

ethomaz

Banned
For information.

Switch 21 months: 8.74m
PS4 21 months: 8.44m

PS4 will probably be again the fastest selling console in 4 months to lose it again in 11 months... it will probably be like that for some time.

woigemok

Banned
I wonder how sales are in rest of the world. Xbox sells well in US too, but not so good in other areas.

Here at Finland switch were never sold out(maybe few stores, but not in big scale), even on launch day/week I saw Switch consoles basically filling the shelfs they were placed on.

My friend had only gaming store at downtown and he sold only 2 units in 4 months(I bought one of those).

Ps4 were sold out for weeks/months at launch, I had to order mine from france.

I know that we are small country, but it adds up.

But nice that it sells better than wiiu so far
The switch isn't good in comparison in a few European countries like the UK, Finland and etc, but performing really well like PS4 in a few counties like France, Germany and Spain. Overall PS4 has an edge over Switch in the European countries.

Americas = Switch = PS4
Europe = PS4>Switch
Japan = Switch>PS4

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Seeing Nintendo bouncing up and down with their consoles is fascinating to see. Big with the SNES, down with N64 and GC, up with Wii, down with WiiU, up with the Switch.

I only have BOTW for my Switch but I am glad Nintendo is doing so well. They the last bastion of classic gaming. No cinematic bullshit, just gaming.

StormCell

How to mislead 101.

Switch adoption rate is slightly faster than the PS4 was at 21 months. There's nothing misleading about this, and it's fairly common metric comparison among analysts.

Understandable. It's a Nintendo console, most of the people that have it are huge Nintendo fans that OF COURSE bought this console for Nintendo games. Nintendo has always had the highests user attachment for their games.

Feels like you're underselling the accomplishment, though. Yes, of course, there are a lot of Nintendo fans, and maybe those fans don't always buy a Nintendo console. When they do, of course they buy Nintendo games. Anyone who picks up a Nintendo console, fan or not, is going to buy their games. Their games would have an insanely high attach rate on any platform, though.

For information.

Switch 21 months: 8.74m
PS4 21 months: 8.44m

PS4 will probably be again the fastest selling console in 4 months to lose it again in 11 months... it will probably be like that for some time.

This the real story. Nintendo Switch is selling slightly better than PS4 through the same number of months. It will be interesting to see Switch sales 12 and 24 months from now. For it to continue to match PS4 sales is going to require price cuts and hopefully a new premium model to both help it reach more people and to hit those upgrade purchasers.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
I'm very pleased with Nintendo's catalog and it suckered me right in... damn nostalgic pokemon games...

ethomaz

Banned
This the real story. Nintendo Switch is selling slightly better than PS4 through the same number of months. It will be interesting to see Switch sales 12 and 24 months from now. For it to continue to match PS4 sales is going to require price cuts and hopefully a new premium model to both help it reach more people and to hit those upgrade purchasers.
Well some period of the year Switch is ahead... other period PS4 is ahead... after April PS4 will probably come ahead again until lose again in Sep or Oct.

That happens because...

Switch March = PS4 November
Switch November = PS4 July

So when Switch sells most PS4 sell the worst and when PS4 sells the most Switch sells the worst... that is why that happens.

I will make a table to keep in track every month.

Last edited:

StormCell

Well some period of the year Switch is ahead... other period PS4 is ahead... after April PS4 will probably come ahead again until lose again in Sep or Oct.

That happens because...

Switch March = PS4 November
Switch November = PS4 July

So when Switch sells most PS4 sell the worst and when PS4 sells the most Switch sells the worst... that is why that happens.

I will make a table to keep in track every month.

Yeah, I had initially written "selling about the same" before editing to say "slightly better." They're neck and neck for now, but I suspect PS4 sales only got better going forward.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, I had initially written "selling about the same" before editing to say "slightly better." They're neck and neck for now, but I suspect PS4 sales only got better going forward.
Yeap PS4 sales in 2014 mainly in holiday was a bit underperformed if we can that because it was ahead most consoles... it just comparing with it own sales/pace.

2015 was the peak for PS4... so to keep pace Switch needs to do a bit better next year than last year... they follow years will tell more because PS4 is still holding strong after 5 years (this year will ends the 2nd or 3rd best year in US)... how will be Switch in its 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc years? Nobody can tell yet but the comparison is hard because they releases in different times.... XB1 and PS4 comparison is easy because they released so close to each other.

Last edited:
im really excited for the switch revision rumor.

would be willing to upgrade for that, i never do. great kit.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
PS4, Xbox One and Wii U. Switch is the only current gen console so of course it's the fastest selling....

StormCell

Nintendo really needs to pack next year. If they want to load the deck, they could release new-gen Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 3, and Metroid Prime 4. I know there's also Fire Emblem, Yoshi's flipping game, and that No More Heroes themed game. GAF, am I being unreasonable to expect all of this for 2019? They don't normally announce anything that is more than a year out (Pokemon and Metroid Prime being exceptions).

ethomaz

Banned
PS4, Xbox One and Wii U. Switch is the only current gen console so of course it's the fastest selling....
It is the fastest selling compared with PS4 since Month 19 if I'm not wrong... PS4 will probably be ahead from month 26 to 32... after that Switch will take again the lead.

Both of course are below Wii pace but who can match Wii in terms of pace lol 360 beat it in total sales but took it 6-7 years to reach the same Wii did in 4 years.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It is the fastest selling compared with PS4 since Month 19 if I'm not wrong... PS4 will probably be ahead from month 26 to 32... after that Switch will take again the lead.

Both of course are below Wii pace but who can match Wii in terms of pace lol 360 beat it in total sales but took it 6-7 years to reach the same Wii did in 4 years.

I thought Wii ended with 101million and 360 around 84 million or so?

Humdinger

Are people still buying the 3DS in big numbers, or has the handheld crowd jumped to the Switch? Is that one reason for the big sales numbers?

iconmaster

Banned
Smash doing 3 million in North America alone seems like a pretty big deal. Smash for Wii U only sold 5.35 million total according to Nintendo's PR.

JimboJones

Are people still buying the 3DS in big numbers, or has the handheld crowd jumped to the Switch? Is that one reason for the big sales numbers?

Japan at least has converted over from 3DS to Switch.
That said the 3DS user base still seems fairly active software wise.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
But I thought Nintendo was........
giphy.gif
............for 100th time.

Last edited:

Biz

Neo Member
Hmm... With Super Smash Bros Ultimate being a system seller and Christmas in our midst, I wouldn't be surprised to see them come close to cracking that 10 million console mark.

Aren't we expecting the new Metroid by end of next year? That's another system seller and I'm sure Luigi's Mansion will be no slouch either. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be a lot of system sellers on the near horizon.
Gen 8 Pokemon and Animal Crossing are next year

woigemok

Banned
I asked him but Halo 3 did over 3.3m in few days in US... I'm not sure if Smash beat it... looks like not.
You don't have to worry about that.
Halo 3 sold 3.3M in 12 days but only 3.7M in 6 weeks.
Smash Ultimate is going to demolish that in this December alone.

There's no room to downplay Smash Ultimate as the greatest exclusive opener in a month :messenger_bicep::messenger_fire::messenger_sun:
and probably even higher than GOW+Spiderman 1month combined :messenger_face_screaming:

Last edited:

Codes 208

Gen 8 Pokemon and Animal Crossing are next year
and as much as I hate it, nsmbwu deluxe will probably sell well as well. Especially after the bowsette meme it inspired.

Though I’m personally excited for yoshi’s crafted world. Good-Feel did an amazing job with wooly world.

Top Bottom