• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch is the most popular gaming console of all time

ParaSeoul

Actual facts don't matter as long as you feel the Switch is the most popular console of all time,it is.
Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends

MrFunSocks

Banned
Actual facts don't matter as long as you feel the Switch is the most popular console of all time,it is.
Season 2 Lol GIF by Friends
Unless something massively unexpected happens and Nintendo just decide they’ve got enough money, the switch is going to outsell the PS2. It’s gonna make a lot of people like yourself very angry, but you’ve got about 2 years or so to prepare yourself for it.

UnNamed

Banned
This comparison has no sense, they should compare every console after four years, not a console at it''s peak vs a long tail after 12 years. Also PS2 market in 2000 was really different from now, the market is bigger than before and there are two generation of gamers to reach now (parents and sons).

TheTony316

greatness for you and probably most casual gamers. For me it is crap, and I'm very disappointed with Nintendo. The beauty of taste and opinions.

The Switch undoubtedly has some great exclusives but to me it's nothing more than a nice secondary system next to a PS5/SX/PC.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I mean.. really? They were like $100 a pop and they had a million different editions. People bought these things just for fun. There were so many that by the time the 3DS came out you could pick up a used DS for $10
If you mean GameStop was taking in used DSes for $10 and reselling them for $70, yeah.

Every time this discussion comes up, I wonder how much more Switch would sell if it only had a DVD player.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Unless something massively unexpected happens and Nintendo just decide they’ve got enough money, the switch is going to outsell the PS2. It’s gonna make a lot of people like yourself very angry, but you’ve got about 2 years or so to prepare yourself for it.

Hah, don't bother. That dude seems very angry at Switch being huge.

The only way I see the Switch beating the PS2 is if the Switch 2 doesn't come out until late 2024 and if we see a decent price cut (something like $200 regular Switch, $150 Switch Lite). What makes PS2 special is that even 8 or 9 years after release it sold well since it was something like 99 bucks and people used it as a DVD player.

Woopah

As others have pointed out, the maths here is disingenuous at best.

It would be more accurate to say that at the current point in time the Switch is the second fastest selling system, behind the DS.
The system is selling like 20-25M units per year and still gaining traction. At this rate, it'll pass PS2 in about 3 years.

Given there's no sign of a Switch 2 coming out anytime soon killing Switch sales, there doesn't seem to be any supply issues some reason, I think it's a given it'll beat PS2's 150M. Even if Switch 2 comes out in a couple years, it's not like Switch 1 sales come to a complete stop. It'll keep selling for a few more years until Nintendo cuts it off.

There are some supply issues but no where near as bad as what the other systems are facing.

As to whether Switch beats the PS2 and DS, all depends on whether the next model is a successor or a revision.

Impotaku

With the holidays coming up it's advisable to keep an eye on your daily salt intake. Don't want you all dying of hate poisoning from chugging all that hatoraid.

Last edited:

Rudius

When this consoles pass into History what meters the most (to me, at least) is not which sold more, but which had the greatest collection of games. In that regard the PS2 will probably, and unfortunately, never be surpassed.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It’s been a great system and now it’s the perfect proof of concept to justify me buying a Steam Deck. I just hope the latter AAA titles run alright on it, BotW 2 and Prime 4 being the ones I worry most about

Years in prod: 4
PS2 was in prod for 12 years, the last few very units were sold.

It would be interesting to see in 8 years pr when Nintendo discontinues the switch (which may be a bit murky with the switch pro or more subtle generations).

The switch is still very popular and it may well come out on top when all is said and done.

FStubbs

Wii Sports Resort was big enough to do some serious numbers, like what 30 million copies sold? Even if you consider all the bundled sales it is still a feat.

There was also Wii Party and if we mention Wii Party we should also mention Mario Party as both are very similar. As a matter of fact, it wasn't before the Wii until Mario Party started to hit really big. They went from like 2-3 million copies per entry to almost 9 million with Mario Party 8.

Not to mention Wii Fit Plus. All of them received sequels on Wii U (or remaster in case of Wii Sports).

I'd also argue that New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart or all those Mario & Sonic titles are lighthearted experiences that casual gamers enjoy and buy.

I forgot about Wii Party. I'll concede that point. However - one or two games a year won't sustain an audience (and Wii Music means that a core year - 2008 - there was no tentpole game for that audience), so I think the larger point still stands. What came out after 2010?

I'd have to disagree with you on New Super Mario Bros - that wasn't targeted by the Wii Sports crowd. If anything I'd say the New Super Mario Bros crowd was an early version of the crowd that's now on Switch. (Which is combined with the handheld crowd). The "grandmothers" weren't there to play Sonic either.

And ultimately - again - the Wii Sports crowd wasn't getting that experience from smartphones, so smartphones didn't kill the Wii. In fact, iPhone launched just a year after the Wii. The Wii died because Nintendo didn't keep bringing expanded audience type games.

FStubbs

PS2 was in prod for 12 years, the last few very units were sold.

It would be interesting to see in 8 years pr when Nintendo discontinues the switch (which may be a bit murky with the switch pro or more subtle generations).

The switch is still very popular and it may well come out on top when all is said and done.
The only way I could see the Switch passing the PS2 is with your scenario - where the Switch's successor comes out and the Switch becomes an impulse buy at $150.

Didn't the PS2 see most of its sales when it hit $99?

My point is it's all subjective at that point. We'll be dealing with raw numbers.
Yup, I tend to miss the nice or failed consoles (Turbo duo, sega CD, Dreamcast, Sega Master system) more than the generation winners... However not in all generations, I think that the PS1 is undisputable, ps360 could be argued either way... I didn't play much console games back in the days of the PS2 (I did have an Xbox+GCN, but never got much into them... Played on PC with my buddies).

Lognor

Banned
Why are some of you all talking about a console from more than 20 years ago? Fuuuuu let it go. Switch is the most popular console in modern history. How's that work for you all triggered folks?

TheTony316

Why are some of you all talking about a console from more than 20 years ago? Fuuuuu let it go. Switch is the most popular console in modern history. How's that work for you all triggered folks?
Look at the thread title. PS2 is the most popular console of ALL TIME, not the Switch.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Ah back to console sales, war'n, popularity etc. etc. each manufacture has their plans, #2 most Switch fans are a couple years old thanks to their parents, it's a win console for Nintendo, would have liked to seen a triple header from Nintendo (Traditional console, traditional handheld, and hybrid, concept, thrilling Switch.)

Nintendo Switch GIF

zaanan

Banned
This all looks like bullshit to me, dude. Hell, if longevity is no concern then Xbox Series S is the "most popular console of all time", right? Wasn't that a thread a few days ago? So change the parameters and you can make any argument anytime you want. Lying with statistics isn't new.

And I have no negative thoughts on Switch in this regard. Just seems someone was creating clickbait, frankly.

Being on the market 12 years is an accomplishment in itself. Switch has a long way to go, as does most consoles.
It's worse than that - they pulled these numbers out of their ass. Here are some more "mistakes":

Switch: 5 not 4 (so far)
PS3: 11 not 9
Wii: 7 not 11
XBox: 5 not 8
2600: 14 not 16

Source:

The data is public you can check if you wish.

He used 4 years and 10 months of data for Switch and called 4 years… it is near 5 years so the avg. he posted is heavy boosted for Switch.

After that he choose to use the avg. of systems already discontinued that had sales in the last few years below 500k lol

It is indeed an irony lol

142767.jpg

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I'd have to disagree with you on New Super Mario Bros - that wasn't targeted by the Wii Sports crowd. If anything I'd say the New Super Mario Bros crowd was an early version of the crowd that's now on Switch. (Which is combined with the handheld crowd). The "grandmothers" weren't there to play Sonic either.
Not everyone who bought Wii Sports was a grandma.
I'm pretty sure there is significant overlap between the crowds that bought lets say Mario Kart Wii and Wii Sports, given that both games are absolutely casual, as in self explanatory easy to get into.
Same applies to Mario&Sonic games (I'm talking about the sports mini games, not mainline titles here). New Super Mario Bros. isn't exactly a tough game too. It had coop multiplayer that made it almost impossible to die and assistants that cleared the level for you if you couldn't.

zaanan

Banned
Not gonna lie, pretty disappointed that there hasn't been a single console warring ban from this thread so far given 75% of the posts are just straight up console wars.
Interesting.

Not yet there, but it's certainly has momentum to reach that level. It depends ultimately on Nintendo whether they want to smash that record or not.

Price cut is must especially on price sensitive countries like most in the Europe. After chips shortage has been settled, they need to reduce Base Switch price to $249, and Switch Lite to $149.

Top Bottom