• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch just outsold Xbox One worldwide

Codes 208

Switch cant technically beat home consoles as it is handheld system(lite) and handheld with tv out.

Switch should be compared to wii(u)+3ds total sales and by that merit it sells shitty
The fact there are actually people who unironically think that here just goes to show how some people really like to move goalposts just because it doesnt align with their piece of plastic.

Last edited:

Handel

Even without concrete numbers, Switch outselling XBO was always a matter of when, not if. The real battleground is if Switch can outsell PS4 lifetime/in same timeframes(Nintendo usually have shorter gens than MS/Sony).

Zog

Banned
Where has Scopa said that only positive comments about Nintendo were allowed?

Actually I asked if that was meant by post #83 which led to this response:

There’s being intelligently critical and there’s being a petulant child that probably still has his mum buy his underwear for him. I’m talking about the latter type of posters.

So I ask for some examples of the latter in this thread. It really shouldn't be hard to show that which Scopa is complaining about, now should it?

Actually I asked if that was meant by post #83 which led to this response:
Still doesn't change the fact that (1) that was what he was disputing and (2) you have yet to provide any proof that backed up your claim.

Now tell me, did Scopa actually said that only positive comments about Nintendo were allowed?

If you're having such a hard time remembering your own comments, here it is:

Only positive comments should be allowed in Nintendo threads?

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Still doesn't change the fact that (1) that was what he was disputing and (2) you have yet to provide any proof that backed up your claim.

Now tell me, did Scopa actually said that only positive comments about Nintendo were allowed?

If you're having such a hard time remembering your own comments, here it is:

I asked, Scopa responded and now I am wondering which comments in this thread are of the 'not ok with Scopa' type. Interestingly. Scopa can't provide that so why complain?

I asked, Scopa responded and now I am wondering which comments in this thread are of the 'not ok with Scopa' type. Interestingly. Scopa can't provide that so why complain?
No one is complaining. More like the direction of the conversation has become hilariously ironic.

Now, can you actually prove where Scopa made the claim you mentioned?

Zog

Banned
No one is complaining. More like the direction of the conversation has become hilariously ironic.

Now, can you actually prove where Scopa made the claim you mentioned?
I made no claim, I asked a question. Scopa is complaining, post #83. Let me quote it for you:

Jesus Christ. Why does every positive Nintendo thread attract the shitposting, butthurt cesspool of the internet?

Grow up and get a life. Your mass manufactured consumer games machine will be ok. Get help.

If you see a positive Nintendo thread and immediately see a red sheet and need to charge in, you need to prioritise things in your life.

I made no claim, I asked a question. Scopa is complaining, post #83. Let me quote it for you:
You asked a question in the form of a strawman complex question fallacy.

You asked a question with a preconceived conclusion (that Scopa said that only positive comments about Nintendo were allowed) and it was a strawman fallacy because that was not what he argued.

Zog

Banned
You asked a question in the form of a strawman complex question fallacy.

You asked a question with a preconceived conclusion (that Scopa said that only positive comments about Nintendo were allowed) and it was a strawman fallacy because that was not what he argued.

I'll refer you back to post #108 where I explain that I asked a question, got an answer and that led to me asking for examples of the kind of posts that Scopa is complaining about.

It seems to me that if you are going to complain about 'a petulant child that probably still has his mum buy his underwear for him' then you must have an example from this thread.

I'll refer you back to post #108 where I explain that I asked a question, got an answer and that led to me asking for examples of the kind of posts that Scopa is complaining about.

It seems to me that if you are going to complain about 'a petulant child that probably still has his mum buy his underwear for him' then you must have an example from this thread.
Nice job ignoring my counterpoints. I see that you still haven't figure out the hilarious irony.

Let me give you a hint. Either you are completely clueless or you are in serious denial.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Nice job ignoring my counterpoints. I see that you still haven't figure out the hilarious irony.

Let me give you a hint. Either you are completely clueless or you are in serious denial.

Well, I guess Scopa was complaining just to be complaining because there have been no examples provided. BTW, asking for examples does not make me 'a petulant child that probably still has his mum buy his underwear for him.'

Have a good night.

Well, I guess Scopa was complaining just to be complaining because there have been no examples provided. BTW, asking for examples does not make me 'a petulant child that probably still has his mum buy his underwear for him.'
Considering that you just made another strawman fallacy, you're definitely in denial. It was quite telling when you did not dispute my analysis of your strawman complex question fallacy earlier and instead resorted to pivoting back to your claim that Scopa is complaining ad inifinitum.

Your question where you misconstrued what Scopa was saying is the epitome of complaining. If you were actually being honest, then you would not be complaining.

Have a good night.
Thanks. Too bad that your sense of logic had the complete opposite experience.

Zog

Banned
Considering that you just made another strawman fallacy, you're definitely in denial. It was quite telling when you did not dispute my analysis of your strawman complex question fallacy earlier and instead resorted to pivoting back to your claim that Scopa is complaining ad inifinitum.

Your question where you misconstrued what Scopa was saying is the epitome of complaining. If you were actually being honest, then you would not be complaining.

Thanks. Too bad that your sense of logic had the complete opposite experience.

Scopa complained about shitposters in this thread, why shouldn't Scopa be asked to provide examples?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Scopa complained about shitposters in this thread, why shouldn't Scopa be asked to provide examples?
Because I didn’t want to embarrass you and quote yourself. It’s unnecessary. But, since you won’t let it lie:

Better for people who don't have an Xbox One or a PS4 I suppose but for those of us who can play the superior version of a game for half the price, the Switch isn't that great.

You are exactly the type of childlike tribal mentality I was referring to.

Petulant. Immature. Embarrassing. Obnoxious. Butthurt. Fanboy.

Zog

Banned
Because I didn’t want to embarrass you and quote yourself. It’s unnecessary. But, since you won’t let it lie:

You are exactly the type of childlike tribal mentality I was referring to.

Petulant. Immature. Embarrassing. Obnoxious. Butthurt. Fanboy.
You think I am a fanboy because I point out that Switch gets inferior ports and they cost more?

Last edited:
Microsoft can spin this to "We have more Xbox Live Subscribers thanks to Nintendo allowing us to put our service on their system via Minecraft!"

They are sneaky like that.

I also see the Switch easily getting close to PS4 numbers within 2 and a half years if the momentum keeps going.

Microsoft can spin this to "We have more Xbox Live Subscribers thanks to Nintendo allowing us to put our service on their system via Minecraft!"

They are sneaky like that.

I also see the Switch easily getting close to PS4 numbers within 2 and a half years if the momentum keeps going.
Nintendo pretty much owns the handheld market, so they can sort of drum to its own beat with the Switch due to its hybrid nature.

Jooxed

Gold Member
You think I am a fanboy because I point out that Switch gets inferior ports and they cost more?

I would have to agree with Scopa, This inferior ports is a lot of rubbish depending on how you look at it. People like myself that have families monopolizing our TV's and computer's the switch is great for experience these "inferior" ports that you speak of. You sound like a fanboy, take the L and move on.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It was inevitable. It has larger appeal worldwide as far as I can tell. Microsoft, as much as I love my One X and the joys of Game Pass, kind of dropped the ball. I get that they're gearing up heavily for next gen but a few more really good exclusives this gen wouldn't have hurt.

Zog

Banned
I would have to agree with Scopa, This inferior ports is a lot of rubbish depending on how you look at it. People like myself that have families monopolizing our TV's and computer's the switch is great for experience these "inferior" ports that you speak of. You sound like a fanboy, take the L and move on.
I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy, I think all the consoles have pros and cons. The PS4 has the best library this gen but Sony's censorship issues are a problem that will hurt them next gen. Microsoft has had a very weak generation and if not for Gamepass, the Xbox One would be almost worthless to me. The Switch has the benefit of Switching (not all models) and that is a plus but their first party output this gen hasn't been impressive to me. The ports are downgraded and are often more expensive due to their age on other consoles. Honestly, I still play my 3DS more than my Switch.

It's crazy how having an unpopular opinion about the Switch gets one labeled a fanboy. A fanboy for who I wonder?

Vawn

Banned
well thats when you get when you have such a SHITTY press conference when announcing your xbox
it is stil really satisfying to watch the angry joe rant on the xbox press conference lol
It was so so bad, its unbelievable

The press conference was bad, but let's not ignore what has been going on since then. PlayStation kept releasing GOTY candidates year after year. Xbox just kept dropping the ball and spending more time doing PR speeches on how things will change eventually, but never do.

A first impression is important, but let's be real, most of the well over 100 million gamers are there probably never saw that conference. All they see is the huge divide in software quality.

Dory16

Banned
Nintendo could sell a billion switches in a year and I wouldn't care. I have a Lite and it's my first Nintendo console ever. It also could be the last for the following reasons:
  • game prices do not depreciate. You could walk into a store to buy Donkey Kong topical freeze which is a wii u game and the price would be the same as Luigi's mansion or may be just 5£ cheaper. You have to buy everything at full price
  • The technical performance of some of the games makes them a rip off given that Nintendo charges full price for them. This has been debated enough, I leave it at that
  • It is shameful to sell me Doom 3 in 2019. That should be a free download. Remasters are probably 60% of the games on switch and they come out without any improvements given that they are barely in HD
  • No other console manufacturer would get away with selling a decade old technology like the switch at a higher price than the Pro or OneX but Nintendo always gets a pass because "Look, it's cute kiddy games that nobody else makes and you can wave your arms while playing them"
  • They are also the only company that is not expected to produce new franchises. You say the word Mario, Zelda or Metroid on stage at E3 and grown people give you a standing ovation. It's been the same names ever since the 8 bit consoles. Nobody expects anything else from Nintendo other than those 3 and if they ever release something else that's decent, they are immediately crowned the best thing in gaming
So yeah their sales numbers are not even relevant to me. I'm still waiting to see a real justification for them having a place in the market in the age of cloud gaming, 4k/60fps and netflix-like subscription services.

Last edited:

NickFire

As a switch owner I need my marching orders. Did Switch embarrass Xbox One, or did it get a head start on Series X / PS5? Someone please help.

Vawn

Banned
As a switch owner I need my marching orders. Did Switch embarrass Xbox One, or did it get a head start on Series X / PS5? Someone please help.

Nintendo doesn't belong in the same generation cycle as PlayStation and Xbox any longer.

Regardless, the fact that it came out two years ago and has already surpassed Xbox which came out 7 years ago, is pretty embarrassing.

Zog

Banned
I would say it's a next gen console and will directly compete against the Series X and the PS5.

Toe-Knee

Not that difficult when considering how Microsoft shot themselves in the foot this gen. They had one of the worst starts I've seen and it hasn't gotten much better since.
You didn't live through the Saturn launch for you?

One of my favourite systems to date but it was miserable sales wise from start to finish especially here in the UK.

Most stores refused to stock games for it and I had to import them.

Romulus

You didn't live through the Saturn launch for you?

One of my favourite systems to date but it was miserable sales wise from start to finish especially here in the UK.

Most stores refused to stock games for it and I had to import them.

I grew on the nes, so yeah. For xbox it was awful.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It's crazy how having an unpopular opinion about the Switch gets one labeled a fanboy. A fanboy for who I wonder?
It’s crazy how you have been here before.

It’s crazy how you try to play dumb and innocent even though your posting history is there for all to see.

It’s crazy how a person can consistently and repetitively display the same trollish behaviour and yet deny it with a straight face.

Dial it back on the personal insults.
I’m just calling it like I see it, but duly noted. In the future I’ll just post a scorecard for when he does this (jump into a positive Nintendo thread to shit post). Something like:

Zog 5 / Nintendo 0

No insults, though.

Zog

Banned
It’s crazy how you have been here before.

It’s crazy how you try to play dumb and innocent even though your posting history is there for all to see.

It’s crazy how a person can consistently and repetitively display the same trollish behaviour and yet deny it with a straight face.

I am going to need you to back this up. Examples please?

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I am going to need you to back this up. Examples please?
Which one of your many, many, many posts do you want me to single out and use as an example?

No. Your circular argument crap is an idiot trap and I’m not an idiot. Responding to everything with “example please” is you avoiding facing up to reality and intentionally prolonging this discussion. It’s pointless. You know who you are and anyone can check your post history for themselves if they are curious and/or in doubt.

We’ve derailed this thread enough already.

RealGassy

Banned
At this point it doesn't seem like it matters how many units Switch sells as it doesn't seem to affect the game library very much.
It isn't like third party devs are lining up to make great games tailor suited for the hardware. Except for some of the obvious indies.
And the odd game by Nintendo bankrolled b-team (Marvel Ultimate Alliance, etc).

Doesn't matter if Switch outsells xbone as the platforms don't compete directly anyway.

At this point it doesn't seem like it matters how many units Switch sells as it doesn't seem to affect the game library very much.
It isn't like third party devs are lining up to make great games tailor suited for the hardware. Except for some of the obvious indies.

Doesn't matter if Switch outsells xbone as the platforms don't compete directly anyway.
I agree with this view, whole heartly.

Zog

Banned
Which one of your many, many, many posts do you want me to single out and use as an example?

No. Your circular argument crap is an idiot trap and I’m not an idiot. Responding to everything with “example please” is you avoiding facing up to reality and intentionally prolonging this discussion. It’s pointless. You know who you are and anyone can check your post history for themselves if they are curious and/or in doubt.

We’ve derailed this thread enough already.
Quit talking shit that you can't back up.

jts

...hate me...

Switch’s library is already incomparable to the Wii U’s by any stretch of the imagination. In under 3 years.

So yeah, it does affect its library a great deal.

I cannot even imagine what a 5 year Switch library will look like.

NahaNago

Well I give the switch 2 more years of life but I doubt they will catch up to the ps4. I keep thinking in my head that the next Nintendo console will abandon the switch style and will go back to the clam shell and just slot that in for tv play.

Top Bottom