• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
switch_main42sb7.png

Note: White Joy-Cons only for artistic purposes, not available for purchase.

sectionsbanner_introd3ixql.png

switch-home-mobirkj2.png

Press release: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170303005199/en/Nintendo-Switch-Ushers-Era-Console-Gaming

Nintendo Switch, codename NX, is Nintendo's next generation system combining the mobility of a handheld with the power of a home gaming system. With the two new Joy-Con controllers, a 6.2-inch screen and a modern architecture featuring NVIDIA technology, Nintendo Switch is bound to bring new play styles to life.

This thread's purpose is to provide an overview of Nintendo Switch and launch (window) activities. Feel free to share details on your experiences with aquiring the system, your first time starting it up etc. I wish everyone a great Nintendo Switch launch!

sectionsbanner_genera3nz06.png

Manufacturer: Nintendo
Features: The Nintendo Switch can function both as a portable and stationary device, and with the the two new Joy-Con controllers many new play styles are brought to life. For in depth details check the Features section.
Release: March 3, 2017 in Japan, the U.S., Canada, major European countries, Australia, Hong Kong and other regions
Price*:
  • 29,980円
  • US$299.99
  • CAD$399.99
  • £279.99
  • AU$469.95
  • HK$2,340
  • 22 499 руб
*Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price, actual price may vary. See retailer for details.

What's in the box:
  • Nintendo Switch Console
  • Nintendo Switch Dock
  • Joy‑Con (L)
  • Joy‑Con (R)
  • Joy‑Con Wrist Straps
  • Joy‑Con Grip
  • High Speed HDMI Cable
  • Nintendo Switch AC Adapter
Bundles: At launch two SKUs will be available - Nintendo Switch with Gray Joy‑Con and Nintendo Switch with Neon Blue and Neon Red Joy‑Con

switch_hardwareskusr1ks7.png

switch_gray_sku67kf0.png
switch_neon_skuvgjj2.png

switch_accessories7qab3.png

Joy-Cons can be bought in both singular and plural. Joy‑Con Wheel comes in a set of two.

sectionsbanner_featurupakz.png

PLAY ANYWHERE

Home Gaming System
  • At home the main unit rests in the Nintendo Switch dock, which
    connects the system to the TV and lets you play with family and friends
    in the comfort of your living room.
On-the-Go
  • Lift Nintendo Switch from the dock and instantly transition to handheld
    mode for on-the-go gaming. By sharing Joy-Con, players can go
    head-to-head while away from home. You can also enjoy the same
    great games in tabletop mode by using the included stand to prop the
    system up.
New Play Styles
  • Remove the detachable Joy-Con from either side of Nintendo Switch for more play styles:
    • One player can use a Joy-Con in each hand
    • Two players can each take one
    • Multiple Joy-Con can be employed by numerous people for a variety of gameplay options (additional Joy-Con sold separately)
    • Slip a set of Joy-Con into a Joy-Con grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller. Or, select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller.
  • Bring together up to 8 Nintendo Switch systems for local face-to-face multiplayer.
Joy-Con
  • Includes traditional inputs of previous platforms, such as two analog sticks, A/B/X/Y buttons
    (or directional buttons), and two shoulder buttons.
  • Each Joy-Con can be used as a single controller. When playing this way, Joy-Con (L) and Joy-Con (R) have
    the same button layout. When a Joy-Con is held horizontally, the buttons on top can be used as L and R
    Buttons (they are called the SL and SR Buttons).
  • Capture Button: The Capture Button is located on Joy-Con (L) and is used to take gameplay screen shots.
    The player can then view, edit (add text of various sizes, colors and positions) and post them to popular
    social media networks
  • Motion Control: Each Joy-Con includes a gyroscope and accelerometer.
  • HD Rumble: Both Joy-Con include advanced HD Rumble, which can provide compatible games with
    subtle vibrations that are much more realistic than before. The effect is so detailed that a player could, for
    example, feel the sensation of individual ice cubes colliding inside a glass when shaking a Joy-Con. With
    HD Rumble you can experience a level of realism not possible through sights and sounds alone.
  • IR Motion Camera: Joy-Con (R) includes an IR Motion Camera that can detect the distance, shape and
    motion of nearby objects in specially designed games. For example, it can tell how far away a player’s hand
    is, and even if the hand is forming a rock, paper or scissors shape.
  • amiibo: There is an NFC reader/writer located on Joy-Con (R). (This is also included in the Nintendo Switch
    Pro Controller.) Nintendo Switch is compatible with existing amiibo; usage is game-dependent.
  • Rechargeable: Joy-Con charge while attached to a docked Nintendo Switch system. They can also be
    charged using a Nintendo Switch charging grip accessory (sold separately).
  • Colors: Joy-Con are available in multiple colors at launch: gray, neon red and neon blue.
  • Release Button: On the back of each Joy-Con is a small button that is pressed to detach the controller
    from the main unit.
Enhanced Parental Controls
  • The system includes various on-device parental controls, but parents
    can also download a smart device application that can be used to
    easily and conveniently monitor and set parental controls for a
    Nintendo Switch system.
sectionsbanner_techsp57bdb.png

• Screen: Nintendo Switch has a 6.2-inch capacitive multi-touch screen that can display a resolution of 1280 x 720.
  • Dock: The Nintendo Switch dock holds, powers, and charges the system, and outputs video and audio from
    the system to a TV or external display.
  • Stand: A stand on the back of the main unit can be deployed to position the system upright in tabletop mode.
  • Media: Game cards
  • Video Output: HDMI; up to 1080p resolution when played in TV mode (up to 720p when played in handheld
    or tabletop mode)
  • Audio Output: TV Mode supports 5.1 channel surround sound. Using the system’s built-in audio jack, stereo
    speakers or headphones can be used when played in handheld or tabletop modes.
  • Battery: Battery life can last for more than six hours, but will vary depending on the software and usage
    conditions. For example, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild can be played for roughly three hours on a
    single charge. While away from home, Nintendo Switch can be charged by plugging the AC adapter into the
    console’s USB Type-C connector.
  • Storage: Nintendo Switch has 32GB of internal storage, a portion of which is reserved for use by the system,
    and has the option to expand its capacity using microSDXC or microSDHC memory cards.
  • SoC: Custom Tegra processor powered by NVIDIA
  • Other: USB ports on the Nintendo Switch dock can be used to charge accessories such as the Nintendo
    Switch Pro Controller and Joy-Con attached to a Joy-Con charging grip. The USB ports can also be used with
    a USB LAN adaptor to connect to the Internet.
  • Networking: Nintendo Switch can connect to the Internet via a wireless (IEEE 802.11ac) connection. In
    addition, up to 8 systems can connect over a local wireless connection in compatible multiplayer games.
    While docked, Nintendo Switch can also use a wired Internet connection by connecting a LAN Adapter.
During Nintendo's Corporate Management Policy Briefing / Nine Months Financial Results Briefing for the 77th Fiscal Term Ending March 2017 - Q & A on Feb. 1, 2017, this was asked:

What was the top priority for Nintendo Switch development? Now that development has been completed, what is your impression?

Genyo Takeda, Director, Technology Fellow, had this to say

If I can sum up my impression in one short phrase, I would use “high performance but low power consumption” to describe Nintendo Switch. The PC has been a major gaming device, especially outside of Japan, and my top priority in the development of the Nintendo Switch hardware was to bring NVIDIAʼs GeForce, which has played a key role in realizing high-performance graphics for PC gaming, to our hardware with low power consumption. The term “crossover” is sometimes used to describe the unprecedented value that is realized when merging two different attractive things (such as, in this case, high performance and low power consumption, and playing both indoors and outdoors). I feel that Nintendo Switch is a new and unique crossover in its achievement of high performance, comparable to that of PC, both in front of your TV set and in your hands
Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170207e.pdf

sectionsbanner_softwa7zylg.png

As the Nintendo Switch does not feature a region lock, I will not provide info on availability of certain retail titles per region. I will simply list all games that will be available at launch.

switch_mainattraction25uea.png

Official thread by Übermatik: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349314

switch_zelda_1beurk.png

switch_zelda_2z8uas.png

special7oki9.png

switch_zelda_44juba.png

switch_availableatlau4rb3w.png

• 1-2-Switch
  • I am Setsuna
  • Blaster Master Zero
  • Disgaea 5
  • Dragon Quest Heroes I・II for Nintendo Switch
  • Fast RMX
  • 空飛ぶブンブンバーン (Vroom in the night sky)
  • Just Dance 2017
  • New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers
  • Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence
  • Othello
  • Puyo Puyo ™ Tetris® S
  • Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
  • Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
  • SKYLANDERS® IMAGINATORS
  • Snipperclips - Cut it out, together!
  • Soldam 2
  • Super Bomberman R
  • VOEZ (OT by Cerium)
  • Several Neo Geo titles by Hamster
Check your regional Nintendo website for a list of games that will be available in your region at launch.

List of Japanese Launch Titles that Support Multiple Languages (thanks Apparition): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349430

For games coming soon, check the release slate here: http://www.nintendo.com/games/game-...tch|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|release|des|-|-

sectionsbanner_supporq9s21.png

Support site for Nintendo Switch in Japanese: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/support/switch/index.html

Support site for Nintendo Switch in English: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/landing/p/897

Netherlands here, paid off my Switch, Pro Controller, Zelda collectors edition, 1-2-Switch and Zelda-guide. Will be picking up tomorrow morning, in 18 hours. Not long now....

Nightbird

The ride is over, it was a pleasure riding this hype-train with you guys!

(And now i need to save cash for a switch)

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
There is one little thing that remains added to the OP, but I didn't want to delay the thread too much. I need a direct link to an image on my Google Drive, but I can't figure out how to get the URL. With it you should be able to get a little surprise. Anyone can help?

sfried

Aww, it's a shame we didn't go with:

Nintendo Switch |OT| Switch |TO| Nintendo

or

Nintendo Switch |OT| The ways its meant to be played

Ultimadrago

I like the idea of a console coming out of the box with multiplayer capability (assuming one has appropriate software), but the Joycons still don't look very comfortable to hold at all.

I suppose I'll see for myself.

That EU Zelda cover is terrible

Doesnt beat the Wii U cover!

ZELDA-WII_20U_original.jpg

The Switch is crazy expensive here in Sweden compared to other nations. $410 (incl sales tax) €388 or £333.

So no thanks for a console with 1 viable game with that price tag. :) $442 for Switch, Zelda bundle that some store chain runs with.

tebunker

Banned
Was gonna pass on this and just get Zelda on Wii U, but the hype is grabbing me.
I held out until this weekend. Was all ready to cancel my preorder and just wiiu zelda it, then I got the feeling wiiu zelda wasn't going to run well, and the final nail was the wife mentioned that our kids can play 1-2 switch with the grandparents when they come visit and I was convinced 100% thats what we needed to do.

Plum

Still can't get over the fact that I'm getting a new Nintendo system and a new, amazing Zelda tomorrow. Really hope that Nintendo can get over the initial bumps and make the Switch into one of their best.

Great OP and title btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom