• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Lite announced

Lanrutcon

Pointless.

Release a more powerful docked version. Games are going to run at 15fps on that lite thing or it's going to have no battery life.

Last edited:

buizel

Banned
Was really sure they wouldn't ditch the Switching aspect since it's in the name.

Not interested now. Also those colours are pretty naff

Looks like a fisher price version of the slim Vita
maxresdefault.jpg
or if the Vita melted into a DS lite

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Did people honestly believe they wouldn't remove the connect-to-TV feature in their cheap model? Come on. It was so obvious.

Why would anyone ever buy the original again when they could get a Switch Lite, with better hardware, TV connection, an official Pro Controller and still save $30...? You telling me they'd want that shitty plastic dock? "HD Rumble"?
That thing is smaller, might also not the suitable because of thermal reasons. Maybe.

TLZ

Banned
Did people honestly believe they wouldn't remove the connect-to-TV feature in their cheap model? Come on. It was so obvious.

Why would anyone ever buy the original again when they could get a Switch Lite, with better hardware, TV connection, an official Pro Controller and still save $30...? You telling me they'd want that shitty plastic dock? "HD Rumble"?
Because it's still a Switch.

Xdrive05

I think it's an extremely dumb decision to make it nor TV play compatible through a connection cable or something.

how hard would that have been to accomplish?

Harder than you think.

They probably don’t have active cooling so the Lite probably never goes beyond handheld mode clock frequencies. If they ran it at docked clocks it would likely overheat.

Curious to see if the battery life and screen is improved.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Oh and please release a left joycon option with that D-Pad for the love of god!!!

quickwhips

So glad I bought a switch yesterday as I wouldn’t want a dedicated hand held. This is like a de and I don’t need that when the switch already can do it. Seems dumb not to announce at e3 though.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Because it's still a Switch.

Is this in response to "why would anyone buy the gimped expensive version"? Because that doesn't mean anything.

If you mean "it should Switch because it's called Switch" then maybe, but the name alone is not some explicit written agreement that the new console will display on multiple devices. It would make zero sense for Nintendo as a business to allow the lite to connect to a TV.

As some one who puts Nintendo down a lot for a lot of stuff they do I think this is a great move. Giveing people options is always good and for 100 more you can get the regular switch for people who want that. I'm assuming mext year we get switch pro as well. So now its a handheld only device

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
so same performance smaller screen 5.5' with same 720p . and why screen is not larger size as that border around screen ? why that border even needed ?

NSwitchSpecsFront_en~2.jpg

switch-lite.jpg
Same performance in portable mode. :/

scalman

i just dont see how this smaller at all ? you need longer bag for it because with controlers anyway with original you can put screen separate from controllers. Lite in what ? does look slimmer too . with 5.5 screen it could be much smaller that border around screen so large . do we have dimensions of that ? someone must do comparison

comparison-3.jpg

Last edited:

Blancka

Pointless.

Release a more powerful docked version. Games are going to run at 15fps on that lite thing or it's going to have no battery life.

I'm glad they're not doing a "pro" version. Seriously fuck that noise; the one benefit of consoles is being able to pick up and play without worrying about specs or how the games run.

I hate the ps4 pro's existence. It's better, but not on all games, so hard to justify dropping another $200-300 for one, especially since some games have worse framerates on the pro due to graphical updates, but at the same time, it sucks balls knowing full well I'm not getting the best experience out of the games I buy because I don't have the pro version.

I refuse to spend the money to buy essentially the same console twice, and I hate the long gaps between the standard and the pro versions. I'd maybe be ok with it if the pro version launched with the standard one, but rewarding early adopters with the knowledge they're having an inferior experience to late adopters is an awful practice imo. Respect for nintendo not sticking us with that bollocks

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
i just dont see how this smaller at all ? you need longer bag for it because with controlers anyway with original you can put screen separate from controllers. Lite in what ? does look slimmer too

It's 10mm shorter, 31mm narrower and weighs 100g less. It's not slimmer.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad they're not doing a "pro" version. Seriously fuck that noise; the one benefit of consoles is being able to pick up and play without worrying about specs or how the games run.

I hate the ps4 pro's existence. It's better, but not on all games, so hard to justify dropping another $200-300 for one, especially since some games have worse framerates on the pro due to graphical updates, but at the same time, it sucks balls knowing full well I'm not getting the best experience out of the games I buy because I don't have the pro version.

I refuse to spend the money to buy essentially the same console twice, and I hate the long gaps between the standard and the pro versions. I'd maybe be ok with it if the pro version launched with the standard one, but rewarding early adopters with the knowledge they're having an inferior experience to late adopters is an awful practice imo. Respect for nintendo not sticking us with that bollocks
Nintendo did this with N3DS it could run games the 3DS couldn't and load things faster. They also got rid of the 3D and it became 2D. It is coming son. This thing can't be called a Switch light though. Cause it can't switch. Should have been called cramped hands.

Orta

Banned
Nice little gadget. Obviously catering to kids/casuals and I hope Nintendo shifts millions of them, if only to annoy Sony/MS die-hards.

Blancka

Nintendo did this with N3DS it could run games the 3DS couldn't and load things faster. They also got rid of the 3D and it became 2D. It is coming son. This thing can't be called a Switch light though. Cause it can't switch. Should have been called cramped hands.

They did it once, which isn't to say they'll do it again. Only time will tell, but I'm hoping this doesn't become a trend, or at the very least (and least likely), the big 3 at least announce when a new console launches that there is a "pro" version in the works. If this becomes the norm I see myself switching back to PC over console because the convenience of not having to worry about specs for the best experience is what brought me back to console to begin with. If i'm not even guaranteed the best version of console exclusives on their home console because of multiple versions I don't see much of an advantage

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It was so obvious. So is Switch Pro gonna happen or?
If the pro happens. Then they basically kill the switch and the user base. Pissing people off. The only way to do it. Would be a dock that is the pro part.

I would but a dock that ups the power as opposed to the new system

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Meh. I come from the PC world, where you get what you pay for. If I gotta drop a bit extra to get XB2 to not run like ass then I'll do it.

TLZ

Banned
If you mean "it should Switch because it's called Switch" then maybe, but the name alone is not some explicit written agreement that the new console will display on multiple devices. It would make zero sense for Nintendo as a business to allow the lite to connect to a TV.
Why? It's still a Switch isn't it? With this one they can keep the TV feature in and sell it dockless to keep the price low. Sell a separate small dock if needed.

Before the Switch was released, many Nintendo portable fans were saying what's the point of a home console only version when it's called Switch, and it can't Switch? Defeats the purpose and makes zero sense. Now I bet the same people are hailing this to no end, even though it doesn't switch.

Shaqazooloo

Awesome for those that want something like this, not for me though, I use mine in dock mode most of the time, maybe when we get a pro...
The Switch no longer "switches".

Also, what's all that about looking on the box to see if a game supports handheld mode? Do some games not support handheld mode?
Super Mario Party and technicaly 1-2 Switch since you can play it tabletop with detached Joy-Cons but not with them attached.

Zog

Banned
Next up a Switch Pro for $349. Original Switch at $249 until the remaining stick is gone.

Switch Pro will be more powerful (not by too much though) with a slightly larger screen while still being able to fit in the current dock and retain the ability to Switch. Integrated controllers but like the Switch Lite, will accept Joycons.

We'll see what happens. Sony went both ways, a PS4 Slim and a PS4 Pro while discontinuing the original model.

Last edited:
So this is the hardware revision? I've been holding on to buying a Switch for Animal Crossing because I didn't want to find out these assholes were releasing a new SKU with better specs. If this is the thing, I can safely buy a regular Switch.

Top Bottom