• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Lite announced

jufonuk

not tag worthy
iu

PS4 Pro and Xbox One X didn't kill anything either.

Yeah but I am sure it was talked up before release, not release Nintendo style...

Pro , please be excite

waylo

Banned
Considering the form factor was one of the main reasons I sold my Switch (I've got really big hands and holding that thing for extended periods was very uncomfortable), this looks to be more or less the exact same thing just shrunk down which is disappointing. Also, I thought the analog sticks on the Joycons were trash, and these seem to be the same ones.

That's a pass for me.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yes and no. Bigger battery don't reflect additional 1 hour.
New battery plus some new chipset at the reduce size can do that longer.
How does the Ps Vita original and the 2000 differ in battery life then? OLED screen aside?

This is going to be a huge hit in Japan.

Anyone know if there is going to be support for pro controllers?

waylo

Banned
I'm glad they're not doing a "pro" version. Seriously fuck that noise; the one benefit of consoles is being able to pick up and play without worrying about specs or how the games run.

I hate the ps4 pro's existence. It's better, but not on all games, so hard to justify dropping another $200-300 for one, especially since some games have worse framerates on the pro due to graphical updates, but at the same time, it sucks balls knowing full well I'm not getting the best experience out of the games I buy because I don't have the pro version.

I refuse to spend the money to buy essentially the same console twice, and I hate the long gaps between the standard and the pro versions. I'd maybe be ok with it if the pro version launched with the standard one, but rewarding early adopters with the knowledge they're having an inferior experience to late adopters is an awful practice imo. Respect for nintendo not sticking us with that bollocks
But what if they run like shit? You'd just rather deal with horrible framerates than have the option to play them on more powerful hardware?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Why? It's still a Switch isn't it? With this one they can keep the TV feature in and sell it dockless to keep the price low. Sell a separate small dock if needed.

You're getting hung up on the name. Think for a second, about the business, not the consumer dream world - why would anyone ever buy the original again when they could get a Switch Lite, with better hardware, TV connection, and an official Pro Controller for $30 less than the original model? Nintendo aren't that stupid. They're not about to utterly invalidate their base model system. This model is for the people who just wanted a new handheld and don't care about the switching.

Fake

How does the Ps Vita original and the 2000 differ in battery life then? OLED screen aside?
Yes. Some tricks here and there. Fabrication size, different screen, lcd vs led vs oled, new battery, etc...
All this at the same time can indeed get this level of battery, not just 'replacing new battery'.

Last edited:

Esppiral

Nintendo sure loves frames.

Ok Time to release a proper home console it is clear that the switch is aimed at handheld gaming.

Breakage

This is up there with the discless Xbox One S.
You're losing features and gaining what? It doesn't even look that much smaller than the standard Switch.
What's the draw here apart from the price?

It isn't even capable of switching between being a handheld and a home console, yet it's called a "Switch Lite". The name suggests it can still at the very least "switch" modes.
Instead of trying to awkwardly cover both bases with the Switch, I think Nintendo would have been better off building a new handheld from the ground up.

Blancka

Meh. I come from the PC world, where you get what you pay for. If I gotta drop a bit extra to get XB2 to not run like ass then I'll do it.

Not having to do that is the biggest benefit of consoles though. Or at least was. I refuse to upgrade mid-gen, so if Ps5/scarlett announce a pro version at any point I'll likely trade mine in and go back to PC only. Console tax is only worth it if I'm not having to deal with the annoyances of PC, but if I'm dealing with them anyway, I'll take the option that plays all my games at 60fps after the upgrade, and doesn't stumble and run some games at worse framerates on the "improved" version.

I'd much rather the big 3 enforce rules for console games so that devs would actually have restrictions on how their games perform and work around the consoles power instead of building a game that runs at 20fps and pretending current hardware is good enough. That's incredibly unlikely though, especially from sony or MS because most general customers don't care about framerate and all that

scalman

those analogs looks like gonna hook up unto things or get pushed if you drop it in some bag
lite-photo-02.jpg

In their testings, they could play Zelda: Breath of the Wild during 4 hours.
need some real world test to tell real story

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Good addition but for me. My current Switch is fine for my massive hands + 90% of the time its docked

What I don't understand is, YOU HAD E3 to announce this! Nintendo being weird is nothing new also

TLZ

Banned
Switch gonna sell insane amounts now
This will be a weird one. This version is officially a portable only device. But its sales will still be added to the Switch overall sales? And compare it to other home consoles sales? This will be so unfair imo. Even the Switch should go under portable sales, since this portable only version is confirmed to be using the same hardware, just with tv out removed. With it included everyone wanted to call it a home console, when it clearly wasn't one.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. Some tricks here and there. Fabrication size, different screen, lcd vs led vs oled, new battery, etc...
All this at the same time can indeed get this level of battery, not just 'replacing new battery'.
You know it lasts longer since the joycons aren't being "charged" anymore and the screen is smaller right?

even though i 99.9% play my switch in handheld mode, it seems like I made the right decision with the OG vs the lite.

the only thing im slightly envious of is that dpad...but i still think id rather have a larger overall console, tv out, and removable joycons, etc.

maybe the next revision i'll jump in, but this one just doesnt bring enough difference to warrant a second switch or upgrade

Last edited:

Blancka

But what if they run like shit? You'd just rather deal with horrible framerates than have the option to play them on more powerful hardware?

I'd rather they enforce rules for games published on their consoles. Look at sony's PSVR restrictions for example. Games literally aren't allowed to drop below 60fps. It's ridiculous to me that games like bloodborne won't be playable without stutter for around a decade, if not more after launch when emulation catches up. Games need to be built with limitations in mind, not built without them and scaled down to a functional level.

If a game can't be run on current hardware, it shouldn't be made until the hardware is there, or should be on PC.

That being said, I know it's just a personal peeve and this is never going to happen because the average person doesn't care about framerates and it would be console war suicide to give competitors free exclusives because of framerate drops.

xGreir

An even smaller screen without improving the hardware...?

Yeah, it has a market full of parents looking for cheap solutions for their problematic kids, but this is a huge no no in my eyes.

Why I would buy a Switch that can't Switch? I like playing on the TV with friends, and this "revision" doesn't accomplish anything...

We need to get the games to 1080p and leave it at that, improve the hardware Nintendo, for the sake of God

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Good addition but for me. My current Switch is fine for my massive hands + 90% of the time its docked

What I don't understand is, YOU HAD E3 to announce this! Nintendo being weird is nothing new also
Post giant hands with your switch for comparison.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nice price, shitty colors. I'd like to get one (if it's sold for 199 or less here too) and some nice Nintendo Selects type deals but next year we might have the New Switch bumping the specs a tad and a while after that a New Switch Lite to match New 2DS. Unless they just don't go with that upgrade path this time. But I wouldn't mind not having a New version if the new specs don't significantly change functionality (like how the most demanding games played on a non-New 3DS actually disabled some OS features altogether in order to dedicate all the system's power to the game just to run it) and games perform OK enough (so devs don't use New as a crutch for shittier performance on original). I don't get why they didn't use the original Switch joycon neon and grey colors, they're so much better than these here. or the New 2DS colors, those looked pretty decent too.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, I've sold my Switch at the right time cuz now and after Lite version will release this September, it'll be not that simple to sell the main model for a good price if people will only care about handheld mode, cuz now they can buy Lite version just for that and for $200. Speaking of which.... no HD rumble and IR motion camera is a huge bummer, plus I really don't like the screen and huge fat line on every side, looks cheap as hell. D-pad is a nice feature, but implementation is not perfect from an eshetic point of view - it'll get dirty in no time and it'll be huge pain in the ass to clean - N3DS XL has much better D-Pad implementation with no visable holes on the sides and so you don't need to wory about cleaning it. Overall, Lite version looks cheap (and it should be for $200) and color variation is abysmaly low - I don't like any of these colors, but I asume that bundle version will have different decals and overall look / design.

Do we know about the specs? Is it the same stuff but with some features removed and 5.5'' screen?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Do we know about the specs? Is it the same stuff but with some features removed and 5.5'' screen?
It's actually 3x as powerful (yet costs less than the other version)!

Of course it's just cut down. Hopefully only in the obvious ways and not in additional cost cutting like the 2DS mono speaker deal back then.

Last edited:

Allforce

Says they removed the "tv out" but isn't that just run via the USB-C? I have one of these and use it on my Switch to play on a TV and all it's connected to is the USB-C port. Seems like it would work just fine on this new one as well or am I missing something?

61qNdj2FWIL._SX466_.jpg

Xdrive05

Does the Lite still have active cooling? Looks like there’s still a big ass vent on top! Wouldn’t that take the durability down quite a bit? (And battery life compared to passive cooling)

Looks way more comfortable to hold than the standard Switch, and it looks very nice. Tough done for recognition's sake, the name Switch is a bit useless at this point, as there's nothing to "switch to" with this device...

Also, less heat vents? Even though the processor may be more efficient, the standard one can get pretty hot after playing the more demanding games. With some reports of players having broken or melted heat vents, or cracks around that area, I'm dubious.

TLZ

Banned
You're getting hung up on the name. Think for a second, about the business, not the consumer dream world - why would anyone ever buy the original again when they could get a Switch Lite, with better hardware, TV connection, and an official Pro Controller for $30 less than the original model? Nintendo aren't that stupid. They're not about to utterly invalidate their base model system. This model is for the people who just wanted a new handheld and don't care about the switching.
Of course in business world it makes sense. The Switch itself is a portable and they put a tv out because they wanted to leave behind the home console business. It wasn't making them enough money as their handhelds. So of course they were going to double down on this portable business even more. I knew it was coming and so did a lot of people. But I was still hoping they'd keep that one tv out feature in.

As for why would people get the Switch instead of the Lite, well because it has a bigger screen, separate joycons, rumble etc. They can release an XL version with a slightly bigger screen around 7" and phase this one out. People buying the Lite with tv out would want it for the smaller 5.5" screen and more portable factor, but still would like to connect to TV if they feel like.

If you ask me though, from my point of view, the Lite made the Switch redundant. If you release a portable only for people who don't care about TV, then release a home console only for people who don't care about portable and always keep their Switch docked, as the current Switch feels like it's a jack of all trades, and does justice to neither home console nor portable. But that's my point of view. And business is business, as usual.

Saruhashi

Banned
This will be a weird one. This version is officially a portable only device. But its sales will still be added to the Switch overall sales? And compare it to other home consoles sales? This will be so unfair imo. Even the Switch should go under portable sales, since this portable only version is confirmed to be using the same hardware, just with tv out removed. With it included everyone wanted to call it a home console, when it clearly wasn't one.

Unfair on who, exactly?

The number of units sold is the same regardless of whether or not people call it "home" or "portable".
As if people stop playing it as soon as they step inside their house.

The only people I can see this being "unfair" to is Microsoft because Xbox can somehow be compared to Switch under the "home console" banner and Switch might end up outselling X Box One.

Nintendo and Microsoft are never going to outsell Sony this generation and I would not expect that to change in the next gen either. Shit they might not even outsell Sony combined.

So what difference does it make if the regular Switch is counted as home console sales but the Switch Lite is counted as portable?

lucius

I would never buy that, the split joycon play on tv is maybe my favorite feature. But that should sell great, kiddies will buy it replacing the 3DS. Those colors though they want toddlers too I guess.

Ma-Yuan

They still sell the normal switch... what's the problem?

I wanted to replace my current switch. Because the back tore appart from heat using it in the docking station . . . But this mini is a downgrade . . . So its pointless . . And I am not buying the same falwed design again.

Top Bottom