• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Lite announced

Kataploom

Gold Member
Regarding the "switch" name semantics, maybe they see it different than we do, like, what if they see the players "switching" from one device to another and keeping them interconnected, which may engage the player to their ecosystem as a whole, as they stated some years ago and we're just seeing the initial steps on a long-term goal?

I believe this would make a lot of sense and "switch" would not attached to that single device concept anymore...

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it, whatever.

1494783002362175010_png_800x0_crop_upscale_q85.jpg

Well here is what I said:

So I ask again, which is better?

Yeah, it can't 'Switch'.

Nintendo pushed the name 'Switch' by showing that you could 'Switch' from handheld to tv play. If the average consumers doesn't see the 'Switch' as a hybrid then I guess Nintendo's marketing failed again. You seem confident that they will get it right with the Switch Lite though. LOL

See, this is wrong. They didn't name the 2DS the 3DS Lite, they didn't remove the second screen on the DS Lite. I have no idea what you are talking about.

I did answer :messenger_hushed: Both times. Not creating a new brand is far less confusing. And i explained why. Both times.

Nintendo is using Switch for brand recognition just like they did with the DS family. It keeps things as simple as possible for consumers.

The Nintendo Switch is still a hybrid. The Nintendo Switch Lite simply removes the hybrid aspect for portability and cost. A different model having different capabilities despite being apart of the same product family, where have we seen that before?

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Easier to call it the Switch still so ppl will know it plays Switch software, than to name it something else and confuse ppl on what software it plays. Now, if they made it all DIGITAL, and threw away the cartridge slot and made it smaller. Then named it something different. (Give it more internal storage?) That would have made it better. Because there are a plethora of digital games on the Switch. People might now know about. Bundle it with some digital games out the gate. Could’ve been the PSP Go but successful!

Zog

Banned
A different model having different capabilities despite being apart of the same product family, where have we seen that before?

Are you ignoring that they changed the name to reflect the lost functionality on the 2DS? They haven't done that here, it's not the same thing.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Well atleast they kept the built-in gyro. I was worried for a second i wouldnt be able to play through certain shrines in botw.

Zog

Banned
Easier to call it the Switch still so ppl will know it plays Switch software, than to name it something else and confuse ppl on what software it plays. Now, if they made it all DIGITAL, and threw away the cartridge slot and made it smaller. Then named it something different. (Give it more internal storage?) That would have made it better. Because there are a plethora of digital games on the Switch. People might now know about. Bundle it with some digital games out the gate. Could’ve been the PSP Go but successful!

I see, so the name 'Switch' should remain even though it doesn't 'Switch' because it still has a slot for game cards?

However, if they took out the game card slot, then they could call it the Nintendo Go because then it would make sense?

LOL, ok.

What does the game card slot have to do with the name 'Switch' or 'Go'?

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I see, so the name 'Switch' should remain even though it doesn't 'Switch' because it still has a slot for game cards?

However, if they too out the game card slot, then they could call it the Nintendo Go because then it would make sense?

LOL, ok.
Yes, then ppl wouldn’t think to buy the Switch software with the device. Easier to put a disclaimer than to name it something different. Otherwise ppl will not buy Switch software when they buy the system.

Are you ignoring that they changed the name to reflect the lost functionality on the 2DS? They haven't done that here, it's not the same thing.

Again, Nintendo could be more creative with the DS name. Nintendo can't do much of anything with the word Switch apart from adding either something before or after it.

The average consumer doesn't give a shit that the Switch Lite doesn't Switch. It will sell out everywhere for ages because its a proper Nintendo handheld that can play Switch games. Whether you agree with it or not, its part of the Switch product family. Thus its a Switch.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
they already outsold their Wii U hardware sales nearly 3 times over with the Switch, they can afford to sell a cheaper budget version, it will only add to the platform's use. they will sell more Switch units both hardware and software. the naming is simple, direct, easy to understand. far from the esoteric days of "Wii U". both systems play Switch games.

no idea why people keep going on about this, yes you would have preferred some other, unspecified name, in your fantasy where you are Nintendo's Director of Marketing. it is what it is. it's better than Wii U. what the fuck does "U" mean? "Lite" i know i am getting a budget product. "Light" is even spelled with one less letter, that is how cheap they are being. it instantly communicates an economy class item that is less featured & less expensive than the real deal. this is a full 33% off the regular sticker price. "Lite" is used in a million products around the world. it is effortless marketing language.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Yes, then ppl wouldn’t think to buy the Switch software with the device. Easier to put a disclaimer than to name it something different. Otherwise ppl will not buy Switch software when they buy the system.

You could name it Nintendo Go and then the disclaimer on the box could say 'Plays most Nintendo Switch games'. I mean if we are going to depend on disclaimers to avoid confusion, this seems more sensible than calling it something it can't do.

no idea why people keep going on about this,
I have no idea why YOU are still going on about this. You are free to leave this thread at any time.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

You could name it Nintendo Go and then the disclaimer on the box could say 'Plays most Nintendo Switch games'. I mean if we are going to depend on disclaimers to avoid confusion, this seems more sensible than calling it something it can't do.

I have no idea why YOU are still going on about this. You are free to leave this thread at any time.
Ppl don’t look at disclaimers. They hope ppl will not look at disclaimers and then Blame themselves.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Here is the thing, you average consumer doesn't really think about if name "Switch" fits the system or not, all they see is that its portable only Switch system that plays Switch games.

gspat

The kids and I were talking about it and just laughed... Good thing we already have one in case they decide to stop making the OG.

We've nicknamed it the "Switch less". :messenger_beaming:

Reactions: Zog

Zog

Banned
Ppl don’t look at disclaimers. They hope ppl will not look at disclaimers and then Blame themselves.
I see, so the disclaimer that says 'Doesn't Switch, handheld only, no TV mode' will be worthless?
Here is the thing, you average consumer doesn't really think about if name "Switch" fits the system or not, all they see is that its portable only Switch system that plays Switch games.
I guess Nintendo failed to let people know that the main selling point for the Switch was it's hybrid nature?

Sorcerer

Will Nintendo allow the same account on 2 devices? Also I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to come out with a dockable version of this next year. Right now its probably to early for them to cannibalize regular Switch sales. Also is Nintendo going to require the power supply be bought separately from the Switch lite? LOL!!!

Last edited:

Danjin44

I guess Nintendo failed to let people know that the main selling point for the Switch was it's hybrid nature?
Switch Lite is for people who don't really care about hybrid nature and only want portable only version thats cheaper, basically someone like me is not their target audience.

Zog

Banned
Will Nintendo allow the same account on 2 devices? Also I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to come out with a dockable version of this next year. Right now its probably to early for them to cannibalize regular Switch sales. Also is Nintendo going to require the power supply be bought separately from the Switch lite? LOL!!!

I am thinking that this is not designed to go into 1080p mode as it would overheat so I doubt we will see a dock for this.

Speedwagon

I see, so the disclaimer that says 'Doesn't Switch, handheld only, no TV mode' will be worthless?

I’m this case it’s an inferior disclaimer. Ppl might still keep the Switch Lite without that. Especially someone who doesn’t know about the regular Switch. They will be unaware that it even has a dock and Switch functionality. On the other hand if it said it only played some Switch titles. That would be unattractive. Which Switch titles? What about ‘Go’ software. Less confusion, the better, when it comes to marketing.

Zog

Banned
Switch Lite is for people who don't really care about hybrid nature and only want portable only version thats cheaper, basically someone like me is not their target audience.
If you are gamer you know what the Switch Lite is, if you aren't a gamer you are just going to assume it's a smaller Switch that still 'Switches' like you saw in ads.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Danjin44

If you are gamer you know what the Switch Lite is, if you aren't a gamer you are just going to assume it's a smaller Switch that still 'Switches' like you saw on TV.
Gamer or not you see the word "Lite" on the box, so you can pretty much guess its different than regular Switch and also its going have picture on box that shows joy-cons are attached to the system.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
I’m this case it’s an inferior disclaimer. Ppl might still keep the Switch Lite without that. Especially someone who doesn’t know about the regular Switch. They will be unaware that it even has a dock and Switch functionality. On the other hand if it said it only played some Switch titles. That would be unattractive. Which Switch titles? What about ‘Go’ software. Less confusion, the better, when it comes to marketing.

Well, it already says that it plays most Switch games. That has to be in the disclaimer so let's just ignore that point. After all, you can't have parents buying a Switch Lite with Super Mario Party with no warning. Maybe they should put a disclaimer on the boxes of games that don't support Nintendo Go without extra Joycons.

They can't accidentally buy 'Go' software if it doesn't exist. Not much confusion there. You know on the box it will say 'Plays most Nintendo Switch games' near where it says Nintendo Go. Atleast they won't expect it to be a hybrid and they will know what games to buy for it.

The point is, Nintendo created this mess and it's ok for consumers to be critical of it.

gspat

Gamer or not you see the word "Lite" on the box, so you can pretty much guess its different than regular Switch and also its going have picture on box that shows joy-cons are attached to the system.
"Lite" only implies smaller, not necessarily feature poor.

Reactions: TLZ

Zog

Banned

Lite could just mean smaller with the same functionality. How are parents supposed to know which features were removed just from the word 'Lite'?

Love the AD with all those pretty girls and handsome guys with a fun social life doing their outdoor life but waittt, switch time !!!!

It would be more fun with the fat kiddo tired and sweating playing Nintendo because he don’t want to climb the damn wall or the otaku in a manga cafe.

Danjin44

Lite could just mean smaller with the same functionality. How are parents supposed to know which features were removed just from the word 'Lite'?
Again, I pretty sure the picture of the console will be on box showing the joy-cons are attached to the system. None gamers might not know much about games but they are not blind.

Last edited:
This is probably a dumb question but with the Switch Lite coming in at 200 bucks can we expect 2DS XL to drop in price even more? I had an itch to buy one last weekend, saw a Mario Kart bundle for 150 bucks. Not bad, but is there a chance it would go even lower to say, 100 bucks, after Switch Lite?

"Lite" only implies smaller, not necessarily feature poor.

Lite means something is lesser, not smaller.

When you buy a Lite version of something in the electronics world (software or hardware), its the most basic or barebones version of what is being sold.

EDIT: Omeggos beat me to it.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Again, I pretty sure the picture of the console will be on box showing the joy-cons are attached to the system. None gamers might not know much about games but they are not blind.

Oh yeah, parents and grandparents will notice that. You bet they will.

Zog

Banned

When you buy a Lite version of something in the electronics world (software or hardware), its the most basic or barebones version of what is being sold.

1 - Remember the DS Lite?

2 - How are parents supposed to know that the main feature has been removed just from the word 'Lite'? Especially when the main feature is still in the name?

Last edited:

Danjin44

Oh yeah, parents and grandparents will notice that. You bet they will.
Why wouldn't they notice? its pretty damn clear.
h=310,w=414,crop=focus

There is even someone holding the system to show how much smaller it is.

gspat

EDIT: Omeggos beat me to it.
Lesser means smaller... ?

Reactions: Zog

Speedwagon

The Lite was meant to be a cheaper alternative to the Switch for Pokémon and Animal Crossing (And Luigi’s Mansion I guess) enthusiasts who intend to play the game portably by themselves. Periodt. It is for the kids. No longer a household system, but a personal portable system. Sell more but cheaper more profit. Someone that grew up on handheld gaming who loved Pokémon and Animal Crossing on the GameBoy and 3DS. They can now dive in. Buy one for the kids for Christmas or their birthday. No TV required. My friend doesn’t have a TV.
We are reliving our childhood. We are passing our childhood to the next generation.
I think it’s too big though they should’ve made it ‘Mini’. Maybe a Nintendo Switch Pocket (All Digital).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
This is probably a dumb question but with the Switch Lite coming in at 200 bucks can we expect 2DS XL to drop in price even more? I had an itch to buy one last weekend, saw a Mario Kart bundle for 150 bucks. Not bad, but is there a chance it would go even lower to say, 100 bucks, after Switch Lite?

I’d say that depends on how much stock they have left. They hate dropping prices so if they think it will all sell at current prices it will stay there. Similarly, Vita never hit bargain bin prices as there wasn’t that much stock at the end as they were cautious producing it.

If there’s a bunch left they need to move, then expect discounts.

I’d learn toward the former and think a $150ish bundle is a safe bet to remain a good deal.

Codes 208

Yes it does...

But how many parents will know or expect that?
Personally im intrigued myself. My parents still dont know the difference between xbox and nintendo. But honestly i dont need them to. The ones buying a system for their kids are likely hearing it from them which switch does what.
Lesser means smaller... ?
No. In my context regarding ds lite, lesser meant lighter.
1 - Remember the DS Lite?

2 - How are parents supposed to know that the main feature has been removed just from the word 'Lite'? Especially when he main feature is still in the name?
Id argue the ds lite was more of an exception than the rule. Its not the first hardware revision, but its one of the first to give a new name. Ever since then most console revisions have been renamed as slim, “s” or some letter (360 s, psp slim, ps3 slim, super slim, ps4 slim, one s, one x, etc.)

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Why wouldn't they notice? its pretty damn clear.
h=310,w=414,crop=focus

There is even someone holding the system to show how much smaller it is.

Why would they notice if they aren't looking for it? You are looking for it, they won't be. They will be looking for a product named the Nintendo Switch and they won't have any idea that THIS Nintendo Switch doesn't actually 'Switch'. Not even sure what removable Joycons have to do with the removed feature still being in the name.

Nintendo is going to sell a fuck-stupid amount of these things selling it along side Pokemon. Kind of sucks about the no dock compatiblity, but that's why I already have a regular Switch.

I'll be honest, Nintendo can just keep making more powerful Switch consoles going here on out. They found the gimmick that pleases virtually everyone.

Top Bottom