• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Lite announced

G-Bus

Banned
Considering I just payed $200 for a new 2DS XL a couple of months ago..... Fuck.

Might try and sell it and pick this up at release. Really, really want to play breath of the wild and Mario odyssey.

Zannegan

I keep seeing this but the reveal today showed mostly teenagers and adults playing this thing so.......where does this kid-friendly/aimed at kids stuff come from? Was the astronaut supposed to be the 'kid' in this reveal?
Not so much in the reveal as in the design, price, and features of the device itself.

That said, the tone of this commercial was certainly goofier, more kid-targeted than the original Switch's reveal. Younger actors, less mainstream jobs and hobbies on display, more "extreme" kid-aspirational scenes, and that includes the goofy-ass astronaut bit.

The reveal may not have started with 'Hey kids, are you tired of your boring old vanilla Switch?", but it was certainly more (though not exclusively) targeted at kids. IMO of course.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That's what's always happened though? Ds lite replaces the ds, the gba SP replaced the gba, the new 3ds replaced the o3ds

With their handhelds, sure. Never with consoles. This is their first hybrid.

Codes 208

Considering I just payed $200 for a new 2DS XL a couple of months ago..... Fuck.

Might try and sell it and pick this up at release. Really, really want to play breath of the wild and Mario odyssey.
I mean theres reason not to have both, they have a diverse enough library to justify both (though im not sure where you bought a 2ds xl for $200, those things are only $150 at most retailers.)
A Playstation that can play only Bluray's
I found that so damn surreal, xbox one can play uhd but ps4 cant? Wtf sony? You guys spear-headed bluray.
With their handhelds, sure. Never with consoles. This is their first hybrid.
Id like to point out that while the new 3ds replaced the og 3ds and 3ds xl. The 2ds did not replace the 3ds. Stores still sell all three 2ds, n2ds xl and n3ds xl models.

That said, Switch lite is to switch what 2ds is to the 3ds.

Reactions: AV
The Switch Lite doesn't look any smaller than a Normal Switch to me.

Can they class it as a lite if it's a mere 10% smaller?

Was hoping it'd be a little bit more smaller but I guess not.

Looks cool anyway.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.

Looks cool anyway.
They need to make one more iteration the Pocket Switch and make it all digital. 😎 make it as big as a phone and then we’re talking hell make it a phone. The Nintendo Pocket Phone Switch. Don’t even need to download games just stream it over 5G. 😎

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
How are you gonna play BoTW with this without extra controllers? Didn't that have shrines that needed gyro? Odyssey moves?

Looks cool anyway.
6 inch vs 5 inch
e7e6f1775aae7b79ac999722a319dba2.jpg

Codes 208

How are you gonna play BoTW with this without extra controllers? Didn't that have shrines that needed gyro? Odyssey moves?

6 inch vs 5 inch
e7e6f1775aae7b79ac999722a319dba2.jpg
It still has gyro, it just doesnt have motion controls via the joycon IR camera. Also to be specific its 6.2 vs 5.5, So only .7 difference.
(But a slightly smaller screen with the same resolution does mean a higher PPI)
Gyro is confirmed included in the Ninty website. Not sure about rumble though, if they even have it or not.
HD rumble is out, I assume that applies for regular rumble too.

Sucks about not being able to connect to a TV but $200 is that sweet spot price and I'll doubt I'll ever use a regular Switch docked anyway. Still too big to fit in a pocket but then again so was the Vita.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It still has gyro, it just doesnt have motion controls via the joycon IR camera. Also to be specific its 6.2 vs 5.5, So only .7 difference.
She'll notice the .7 I'm sure other people will as well.

buizel

Banned
I don't understand the complaints about the lack of TV connectivity.
If you want that, then just buy the regular Switch...? It's like complaining that the 2DS isn't 3D.

I don't understand still calling it the Switch if it lacks TV connectivity since it can't Switch. Unlike the 2DS which has Dual Screens.

Sucks about not being able to connect to a TV but $200 is that sweet spot price and I'll doubt I'll ever use a regular Switch docked anyway. Still too big to fit in a pocket but then again so was the Vita.

Both the Vita and Vita slim fit in mine and my girlfriend's pockets. And she's about 7 stone, how tiny must people's jean pockets be to not fit in them ;#

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
This thread is page after page of people bitching that the smaller, lighter, $100 cheaper Switch doesn't have all the features of the old Switch.

Want TV out, rumble, detachable joy cons etc...? Buy the old model Switch or wait for its refresh. Pretty simple. Nintendo is obviously going after the portable 2DS/3DS market with this, and will succeed in doing it.

Because new model cost what old model should.

Good specs + features = high Price

Nintendo style = low specs + good features = high Price.

They are just greedy and sell with higher profits than Sony/ms. Works on some areas, low sales on another.

I know 40-50 people with PlayStation, 1 with xbox, and only 2 with switch including my self. Just because it costs too much to be handheld and is too weak to be console

Parent: "So there will be Nintendo Go games?
Me: "Uhm... no. The device is still a Nintendo Switch."
Parent: "So it's a Switch that plays Switch games and it's also a handheld but it's not called Switch."
Me:... yes.
Parent: "Can I play future Nintendo Go games in my Nintendo Switch."
Me: "What? No, there are, and will be, no Nintendo Go games."
Parent: "But one is called Switch and the other is called Go."
Me: "No! They both play the same games. It's just that one is handheld + TV and the other is just handheld."
Parent: "Ah Ok. Then why not call it Switch Mini, Lite, or something?"
Me: ...

Parent: I'd like to speak to the manager please.

You: I am the manager madam.

Parent: Don't call me madam, you little prick. You're lying about this. My little Jimmy asked for a Nintendo Go and I'm going to get him a Go.

You: Look, I post on GAF and I can tell you factually, there is no Go product by Nintendo.

Parent: Then what's that?!

You: That's a Wii U.

Parent: Just give me that. I know it'll play Go games.

You: Fine... ugh... Will there be anything else? No? That'll be 200 bucks. Bye.

Parent leaves.

You: AND DON'T FUCKING COME BACK!

Last edited:
Can they please just release a switch with no screen that only outputs to tv for $200? That would sure be nice. Nintendo is constantly trying to innovate with hardware and while they do come up with cool stuff, it sure gets old when they could release a cheaper system instead.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Isn't this just due to making the resolution the same while shrinking the screen? Not sure I'd make that a plus.
A higher PPI* is always a plus on a handheld.

* Within the bounds of human optical resolution, naturally.

sublimit

Banned
This thing devalues the whole concept of the Switch so it's kinda pointless. But then again it's also something that is going to sell like crazy to younger people so from a business perspective it does make sense.

Personally i'll wait for the inevitable Pro version to come out because then hopefully the current "normal" version will drop in price and i will more likely get it. :D

Acidizer

Banned
Smallest (portablest) screen, with ability to connect up to a 60" screen? Best of both worlds.

Instead we will get a Pro, with a large screen that can also connect to a large TV. Stupid.

TLZ

Banned
Parent: where are the nintnedo go games?
Me: theres no such thing.
Parent: but we have a nintendo go.
Me: the nintendo go plays switch games.
Parent: oh. Then why is it called a nintendo go?
Me: because its a switch, but at the same time its not a switch.

Vs

Parent: so whats the difference between the switch and switch lite?
Me: the switch is a hybrid system that can connect to your tv or be played as handheld. The switch lite is just a handheld-only version of the switch.
Let me make the conversation simpler for you.

Parent: Where are the Nintendo Go games?
Me: The Nintendo Go actually plays the same games as the Nintendo Switch
Parent: Oh. Then why is it called a Nintendo Go?
Me: To make it easy for consumers to tell the difference between the two versions as they have different features.

vs

Parent: So whats the difference between the Switch and Switch Lite?
Me: The Switch is a hybrid system that can connect to your tv or be played as handheld. The Switch is just a handheld-only version of the Switch.
Parent: So why call it a Switch if it doesn't 'Switch'?
Parent: "So there will be Nintendo Go games?
Me: "Uhm... no. The device is still a Nintendo Switch."
Parent: "So it's a Switch that plays Switch games and it's also a handheld but it's not called Switch."
Me:... yes.
Parent: "Can I play future Nintendo Go games in my Nintendo Switch."
Me: "What? No, there are, and will be, no Nintendo Go games."
Parent: "But one is called Switch and the other is called Go."
Me: "No! They both play the same games. It's just that one is handheld + TV and the other is just handheld."
Parent: "Ah Ok. Then why not call it Switch Mini, Lite, or something?"
Me: ...
My version :messenger_beaming:

Parent: hello. I'm looking to buy the Nintendo Switch please.
X: sure. The Switch or the Switch Lite?
Parent: what's the difference?
X: One can connect to the TV and the Lite can't.
Parent: ok. So the Lite is a handheld.
X: correct.
Parent: but I heard the other one can be a handheld too. It can do both right? TV and handheld?
X: yes. The Switch can do both. It actually is a handheld basically but it has a dock that connects to the TV. So it can do both.
Parent: so what's the point of the Lite if the other one can do both?
X: well it's smaller, lighter to make it easier to take with you.
Parent: I see. Is it like half the size or something?
X: no. It's 5.5". The screen. The switch is 6.2".
Parent: it's not that much smaller. 5.5" is still quite big. Is it ok if I see one?
X: sure. Just a moment. *Takes one out* here.
Parent: oh ok. Well it looks nice. It's not that much smaller though. It's still pretty wide.
X: yea. Kinda. It's for people who just want the handheld and don't really care about connecting it to the TV.
Parent: I see. I'd still buy the Switch though since it can do both. Why restrict yourself?
X: well. Yea. I don't know.
X: oh, the Lite is also more kid friendly, you know, because kids might drop them. So they don't break or crack easily.
Parent: ok. So it's more aimed at kids.
X: yea I guess.
Parent: what If that kid wants to play it on TV?
X: well they can't. They'll have to buy the other Switch. The bigger one.
Parent: see? You never know with kids. You buy the Lite, then they'll want to play on TV. What do you do then? Buy another one?
X: you can exchange it within a few days if you aren't happy.
Parent: ok. What if my kid was happy but decided he wants to play on the tv a month or so later?
X: you'll have to buy the other one then.
Parent: see? Ok. I'll just buy the one that does both instead now. Save me the headache.
X: sure.

:messenger_beaming:

I'm sure we'll have a million other real life scenarios. Much simpler ones of course, like hey can I have the one that's only handheld please, don't care about TV. Or, difficult ones like, hey can I return this? We bought a USB cable and connected it to the USB on our tv and nothing's happening, it's broken. Hehe.

Trimesh

Banned
If you are gamer you know what the Switch Lite is, if you aren't a gamer you are just going to assume it's a smaller Switch that still 'Switches' like you saw in ads.

If you're "not a gamer" then you a really not likely to know much about the Switch at all - except possibly that it plays Mario games. I also think that for most people if they go into a shop and see a product with two different SKUs with a significant price differential between them pretty much the first question they will ask is going to be "what's the difference?".

Nintendo Switch Lite looks like a true handheld. In my mind it makes a lot of sense to have a cheaper Switch with those features removed.

You also differentiate the product value of each product based on features. IR and HD Rumble are not big enough reasons. So many an entire machine that lacks that capabilities in its entirety - I don't think it's a bad move. If you want a Switch that can connect to the TV, get a regular one- It will be cheaper on some good sales soon when the Pro comes out.

The Pro should be significantly more expensive but also significantly better as a multimedia device. In my mind, bigger battery and screen with no bezels, and more internal storage and an extra SD slot and a nano sim, and a more powerful processor / gpu. Thats a sexy proposition for lots of people.

Acidizer

Banned
Nintendo Switch Lite looks like a true handheld. In my mind it makes a lot of sense to have a cheaper Switch with those features removed.

I agree. The original Switch just isn't what I'd call "portable" - it's a behemoth, with detachable bits that are potentially losable. I would NOT want to take this out with me in the same way that I do Vita slim.

But it would be cool - and personally I'd be willing to pay significant extra cash if they could have an optional accessory to give back switchability if it were possible - to have a nice true sturdy portable Switch, as the Lite is, but one that also outputs to TV at home - as the original concept intended.

I know it's all about marketing though, but I do not like the original Switch at all. For me it is the worst of both worlds.

Last edited:

Murr

I think they should have some kind of removable cover for the screen. It would make sense for a dedicated Handheld System.
I have the feeling, that the system is a bit big for a pure Handheld though.
The price on the other hand sounds very good.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I keep seeing this but the reveal today showed mostly teenagers and adults playing this thing so.......where does this kid-friendly/aimed at kids stuff come from? Was the astronaut supposed to be the 'kid' in this reveal?

It’s not solely for kids, but I’m sure it will get a lot of ads later for the cartoon networks.

The main thing is just being cheaper. Many families are on tight budgets and portables have always been popular partly for the lower price vs consoles. Along with not tying up a tv when the kid is gaming at home, being able to occupy them in the car, on flights etc.

Switch at $300 was way more than past Nintendo portables (3DS launched at $250 but was failing at that price and got an early drop to $180). This at $200 gets it closer to that 3DS price after the cut and should help with the kid/parent market, portable gamers used to lower prices, Sony/MS/PC gamers interested in Nintendo games on the go at a cheaper price etc.

MagnesG

Banned
It’s not solely for kids, but I’m sure it will get a lot of ads later for the cartoon networks.

The main thing is just being cheaper. Many families are on tight budgets and portables have always been popular partly for the lower price vs consoles. Along with not tying up a tv when the kid is gaming at home, being able to occupy them in the car, on flights etc.

Switch at $300 was way more than past Nintendo portables (3DS launched at $250 but was failing at that price and got an early drop to $180). This at $200 gets it closer to that 3DS price after the cut and should help with the kid/parent market, portable gamers used to lower prices, Sony/MS/PC gamers interested in Nintendo games on the go at a cheaper price etc.
Mind you, I think $60 for a game would be an issue for some handheld players. Times changed I guess.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Mind you, I think $60 for a game would be an issue for some handheld players. Times changed I guess.

Definitely true. Indies help, but the $40 portable games from Nintendo and other big publishers are mostly gone. That said, given its success I’m guessing many are fine with it. The games are much closer to the console experience than on past Nintendo handhelds, i.e. 720p screen vs 240p on 3DS, so there’s value added in that sense.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't know what to do. i guess i play in handheld more than docked. still being able to play on my TV is nice and that's what i always wanted back when I had a 3DS....a portable device that i could connect to my TV.

since i have a Switch it makes no sense in me getting it but if anything ever happens to it then i'll get a Switch Lite.

Saruhashi

Banned
My version :messenger_beaming:

Parent: hello. I'm looking to buy the Nintendo Switch please.
X: sure. The Switch or the Switch Lite?
Parent: what's the difference?
X: One can connect to the TV and the Lite can't.
Parent: ok. So the Lite is a handheld.
X: correct.
Parent: but I heard the other one can be a handheld too. It can do both right? TV and handheld?
X: yes. The Switch can do both. It actually is a handheld basically but it has a dock that connects to the TV. So it can do both.
Parent: so what's the point of the Lite if the other one can do both?
X: well it's smaller, lighter to make it easier to take with you.
Parent: I see. Is it like half the size or something?
X: no. It's 5.5". The screen. The switch is 6.2".
Parent: it's not that much smaller. 5.5" is still quite big. Is it ok if I see one?
X: sure. Just a moment. *Takes one out* here.
Parent: oh ok. Well it looks nice. It's not that much smaller though. It's still pretty wide.
X: yea. Kinda. It's for people who just want the handheld and don't really care about connecting it to the TV.
Parent: I see. I'd still buy the Switch though since it can do both. Why restrict yourself?
X: well. Yea. I don't know.
X: oh, the Lite is also more kid friendly, you know, because kids might drop them. So they don't break or crack easily.
Parent: ok. So it's more aimed at kids.
X: yea I guess.
Parent: what If that kid wants to play it on TV?
X: well they can't. They'll have to buy the other Switch. The bigger one.
Parent: see? You never know with kids. You buy the Lite, then they'll want to play on TV. What do you do then? Buy another one?
X: you can exchange it within a few days if you aren't happy.
Parent: ok. What if my kid was happy but decided he wants to play on the tv a month or so later?
X: you'll have to buy the other one then.
Parent: see? Ok. I'll just buy the one that does both instead now. Save me the headache.
X: sure.

:messenger_beaming:

I'm sure we'll have a million other real life scenarios. Much simpler ones of course, like hey can I have the one that's only handheld please, don't care about TV. Or, difficult ones like, hey can I return this? We bought a USB cable and connected it to the USB on our tv and nothing's happening, it's broken. Hehe.

It's hilarious that you managed to write all that out and not once mentioned that one version is 100 bucks cheaper than the other. :)

Like as if the sales person wouldn't just say "this one is 300 bucks and can connect to your TV via the dock and this one is 200 bucks and doesn't do that".
Then the parent decides if they want to pay the extra 100 bucks for TV connectivity or not.

Like you have to deliberately ignore the different pricing to make your point. A point that is completely undone by the fact that there is different pricing.

Parent: I'd like to buy an Xbox.
X: Well do you want an Xbox One X or an Xbox One S?
Parent: What's the difference?
X: Well the One X has better performance.
Parent: So what's the point of getting the regular Xbox One S then? Why restrict yourself to lower performance?
X: Durrr, I dunno. I guess some people don't want to have the best performance possible.
Parent: Well I should just buy the One X then. They are the same price, right?
X: Ah... well... not exactly.

I'm imagining a game shop where the prices of everything are hidden from view so the customer just thinks "Nintendo Switch or Nintendo Switch Lite, the cost is the same so probably get the one with more features... though it's kind of suspicious that it costs the same money for more features"

Instead of what normally happens where there are posters all over the shop giving different prices for different bundles etc.

X: So, you see, you can buy the one that connects to your TV for 300 bucks or the one that doesn't for 200 bucks.
TLZ: Bu-but they called it Switch and it doesn't Switch. Ahahahahaha. They got the name wrong! *munches handful of crayons* It's called Switch but it doesn't Switch! The name is wrong!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
2 - How are parents supposed to know that the main feature has been removed just from the word 'Lite'? Especially when the main feature is still in the name?
Lite is widely used in marketing and has been for decades. It instantly describes a budget version of an item. The word itself “light” is even trimmed down to save space.

This is all standard simple marketing. Feel like people are overthinking it. If you are a parent buying something and you see another version 100 dollars cheaper, it doesn’t take much to put 2+2 together and realise it will be different.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Lite is widely used in marketing and has been for decades. It instantly describes a budget version of an item. The word itself “light” is even trimmed down to save space.

This is all standard simple marketing. Feel like people are overthinking it. If you are a parent buying something and you see another version 100 dollars cheaper, it doesn’t take much to put 2+2 together and realise it will be different.

Plus the portability is a big draw for a lot of parents. Can keep kids occupied without tying up a TV at home, occupy them in the car, on flights etc.

I’m not convinced the tv functionality was a big draw for parents for those reasons, or for kids who are all on phones/tablets all day. I think the tv play is more for us core/traditional gamers and the base model is more for us and the Lite aimed more at kids/casuals/handheld gamers.

Saruhashi

Banned
Plus the portability is a big draw for a lot of parents. Can keep kids occupied without tying up a TV at home, occupy them in the car, on flights etc.

I’m not convinced the tv functionality was a big draw for parents for those reasons, or for kids who are all on phones/tablets all day. I think the tv play is more for us core/traditional gamers and the base model is more for us and the Lite aimed more at kids/casuals/handheld gamers.

Honestly it's something we won't really know until we see sales figures after the holiday season.
For now it looks like Switch sales are slowing down so it'll be interesting to see what happens when this drops in September.

Pokemon Sword and Shield seem like they will be big system sellers but we'd have to wait and see.

I think the idea that "people won't understand what it is because it's still called Switch" is a bit of a strange one but we'll see.

Fake

For anyone saying about rumors in previous neogaf threads. Good watch.

Last edited:

Acidizer

Banned
I think the idea that "people won't understand what it is because it's still called Switch" is a bit of a strange one but we'll see.

I mean at least they didn't call the 2DS the "3DS Lite".

I think they could've/should've branded it something else to make way for a more diverse lineup of SKUs without added confusion.

DESTROYA

Why didn't Nintendo make Switch Lite a clam shell instead. Would have been preferable as a handheld only console.
Would have loved to see that with more comfortable button and stick layout, my biggest complaint of the current switch is that the button layout could be much better but I get why they did it the way they did.
They had a chance to make a compact pocketable and true 3DS successor that’s easier to use. They sort of dropped the ball on that.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Would have loved to see that with more comfortable button and stick layout, my biggest complaint of the current switch is that the button layout could be much better but I get why they did it the way they did.

The minus button is a pain.

Fbh

The battery, dock, and screen all add a lot to the price combined.

Yeah I know.
I'm just saying the way Nintendo (and other companies) do pricing isn't just based on the cost of the components.
Just because in theory they can take $100 worth of components off the Switch doesn't mean that if they do that they'll sell it for $100 less

Which is why I bring up the Dock. They sell that thing for $70 and there's no way it costs anywhere near that to produce.
Right now if you want to play Switch games on a TV the only option is their $300 console that continues to sell very well, so releasing a sub $100 alternative might cannibalise their own sales in a negative way, so I think if they release a "home console" only version of the Switch it would either be more powerful and sell for like $200 OR they'd wait for a notorious decline in regular Switch sales and release a home console version that isn't more powerful but is still $100+

Last edited:
Top Bottom